Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Extraterrestrial (2014)

if you are a fan of UFO movies, watch it. Otherwise, don't bother. Its nowhere near the level of Dark Skies for instance, but still... some good parts (all the classic cliches were included).

the ending was pretty good i thought (maybe because i wanted it to end). Decent effort.

5/10

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hey, film nerds.

Answer me this. Is there an online equivalent to an old-fashioned DVD rental store that isn't iTunes? Somewhere where you can browse, pay for and download a movie of your choice without any ongoing subscription fees? (or locking yourself into iTunes)

If not, why not?

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Hey, film nerds.

Answer me this. Is there an online equivalent to an old-fashioned DVD rental store that isn't iTunes? Somewhere where you can browse, pay for and download a movie of your choice without any ongoing subscription fees? (or locking yourself into iTunes)

If not, why not?
Might be worth trying Blinkbox (http://www.blinkbox.com) which is sort of different. Although it's a bit costly(£5 for HD rental and £10 to buy)there's no subscription fee.

Also I rented FRANK(Worth watching)from Blinkbox on the Xbox One and it ran smoothly .

Last edited:

Will Absolute

Interesting. I was surprised by how very, very few I recognized - The Godfather, The Searchers and not a lot more. Clearly I must abandon all pretensions to being a cinephile.

R.N7 probably went: "What was that one in the middle whose name I can't quite.... Is it spelled with an i or an e? Damn! What's the matter with me?"

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I thought Focus was good, even if a bit obvious. I enjoy most Will Smith films though. 7.22/10

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Mommy

It's not breaking new narrative ground really, but its fantastically made. Raw and earnest in a way that helped sell its common, almost TV movie, plot. The writing and performances with the mother and son were particularly spot on, I struggle to think of a more genuinely written relationship in recent film, even when it hits a melodramatic pitch. I've seen Dolan being criticised for being indulgently stylistic (I've not seen any of his previous work so maybe that's a relevant criticism) but pretty much every artistic decision he made here, particularly the big ones like the aspect ratio, seem to serve the emotional expression really well. I'm knocking imaginary points off for using Wonderwall in the soundtrack though.

7/10

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Interstellar

I liked it, but it has problems. Could've been trimmed at least half an hour, and nothing of value would've been lost (Mark Str...Matt Damon, I'm looking at you).

6.5 out of 10. I guess.

hungrywing

This is fantastic. Could watch one of these for hours.

Interesting. I was surprised by how very, very few I recognized - The Godfather, The Searchers and not a lot more. Clearly I must abandon all pretensions to being a cinephile...
Nah. Some people walk, some people run. In the end it's all about the journey. *roll end credits*

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Interesting. I was surprised by how very, very few I recognized - The Godfather, The Searchers and not a lot more. Clearly I must abandon all pretensions to being a cinephile.

R.N7 probably went: "What was that one in the middle whose name I can't quite.... Is it spelled with an i or an e? Damn! What's the matter with me?"
There were quite many that I couldn't place.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The I Inside
An amnesiac wakes up and unwillingly travels between his present and his past and struggles to piece together the puzzle of his life. Starring Ryan Philippe and is a decent little thriller. The acting is pretty good and the mystery is strong enough to keep you hooked. A lot is packed into the 90 minutes but the ending is a little obvious. Nonetheless, a decent film 7/10

Extraterrestrial

5 friends go to a cabin and are visited by UFOs. Was excited to see this as it was made by The Vicious Brothers who also made Grave Encounters, which I loved but this was a pile of shit. It is tonally all over the place and the characters kept doing stupid, irrational things. The acting was awful. Some nice cinematography and a laugh out loud ending made things a bit better but it didn't have an ounce of originality and was a borefest 4/10

Clown

A man puts on a clown suit for his sons birthday party and it begins to consume him. This is how a horror film should be! Good acting, engaging story, justified gore, lots of tension and it makes you empathize with the antagonist. Couldn't recommend it enough for horror fans. @pauldyson1uk & @Rooney in Dublin watch this one mate, I think you would like it. Really really enjoyed this 8.5/10

pauldyson1uk

already seen Clown thought it was pretty decent. This is what I said after watching it.

Clown

A better than average horror, A loving father finds a clown suit for his son's birthday party, only to realize the suit is part of an evil curse that turns its wearer into a killer.
I was not expecting much , but was pleasantly shocked, it was pretty decent , the transformation from dad to demon was done well.
The gore level in this movie is extremely high. Every kill is based upon a trick that a clown but all with the intention of making your skin crawl. It won't be to every one's taste, as limbs are literally ripped from bodies, heads kicked of.

6/10

El-Manos

Interstellar - Some slow parts but overall a decent movie. Some strong performances, a bit predictable but an interesting take on the whole science department. Also, visually stunning 7.5/10

Focus - Received some negative reviews but I actually thought it was an entertaining watch. With a movie like this, I'm not expecting it to blow me away but it did ultimately entertain me and kept me interested until the end. Some funny moments, clever tricks and interesting romance. You have got to love Will Smith's charisma. 7/10

Last edited:

solvista

Shawshank redemption
Tracks

Film about a gbirl walking across the desert in Australia with some camels. Not the most exciting film ever. She gets some camels, walks a bit, gets thristy, walks a bit, gets thirsty, walks a bit, loses her way, walks a bit more... I don't want to spoil the end.

3/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Went to see a double screening at my local of Cinema Paradiso and Bicycle Thieves. The cinema screwed up the times on their website so I missed the first one, but the latter was charming as ever, love the images of post-war Rome.

hungrywing

There were quite many that I couldn't place.
Just curious: how many did you miss.

Tracks

Film about a gbirl walking across the desert in Australia with some camels. Not the most exciting film ever. She gets some camels, walks a bit, gets thristy, walks a bit, gets thirsty, walks a bit, loses her way, walks a bit more... I don't want to spoil the end.

3/10
Definitely one of those movies where - considering how pretty it was - you wish they'd taken at least a bit of dramatic license.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The Gunman

Aging actor on steroids removes shirt for 1hr 46mins in action plot straight from the 80's.

-1/10.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Dying Of The Light
CIA agent Nic Cage goes rogue to capture a terrorist that tortured him 22 years ago. Nothing special, the film was very generic but I read that the studio re-edited the film so Cage, Anton Yelchin (who also stars) and director Paul Schrader boycotted the film. Cage's performance was flamboyant and great in places and awful in places, which is why I love watching him! There is also the stupidest fight scene at the end as Cage and the terrorist are both old men in their twilight years, so it was two men with shaky hands rolling around the floor :lol: was unintentionally hilarious 5/10

Leg-End

Wild

I do like thought provoking movies like this and there was a lot of good stuff in it. Liked the soundtrack and how it blended in and out with the character singing along. Overdid it on flashbacks though and I think it ruined the flow of the hiking bits.

6/10

Member 39557

Went to see a double screening at my local of Cinema Paradiso and Bicycle Thieves. The cinema screwed up the times on their website so I missed the first one, but the latter was charming as ever, love the images of post-war Rome.
Bicycle Thieves is great!

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Black Samurai
Jim Kelly kicks a hundred dudes in the groin, throws a vulture at a warlock, flies a jetpack and plays a mean game of tennis. Jim Kelly/Jim Kelly

Night of the Hunter

Uh, also pretty good I guess. Pretty Good/Jim Kelly

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Just curious: how many did you miss.

Definitely one of those movies where - considering how pretty it was - you wish they'd taken at least a bit of dramatic license.
Brokeback Mountain, Blue Valentine, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Never Let Me Go, The Road, Frank, Cast Away, Somewhere, Morvern Callar, Take this Waltz, Buried, Lord of War, Cape Fear, Saving Private Ryan , The Astronaut Farmer, The Piano

Seen four of them but they proved to be rather forgettable.

Spoony

The People's President
Loved Birdman. What's not to love about a fantastically shot surreal black comedy about mental illness?(well...) Both Norton and Keaton were great.

hungrywing

Loved Birdman. What's not to love about a fantastically shot surreal black comedy about mental illness?(well...) Both Norton and Keaton were great.
Well...Spoony loved it.

Automatic -40 stars right there.

On a more serious note, what's with the "(well...)"? Just the regular open interpretation as to whether he's actually mentally ill or not?

Spoony

The People's President
Well...Spoony loved it.

Automatic -40 stars right there.

On a more serious note, what's with the "(well...)"? Just the regular open interpretation as to whether he's actually mentally ill or not?

Nah, it doesn't mean anything really. But yeah he was clearly mentally ill. Must admit I do love existentialism, seems to evoke more pathos than other genres. Suppose no one leads an easy life eh... Raspoonikov over and out.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Dying Of The Light
CIA agent Nic Cage goes rogue to capture a terrorist that tortured him 22 years ago. Nothing special, the film was very generic but I read that the studio re-edited the film so Cage, Anton Yelchin (who also stars) and director Paul Schrader boycotted the film. Cage's performance was flamboyant and great in places and awful in places, which is why I love watching him! There is also the stupidest fight scene at the end as Cage and the terrorist are both old men in their twilight years, so it was two men with shaky hands rolling around the floor :lol: was unintentionally hilarious 5/10
Take my money.

I'd gladly pay to see Nic Cage got tortured, the fecker tortured me with his many movies I'm forced to watch.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I rarely watch movies, but Book of Eli is definitely a movie worth watching. One of the best movies I've watched.

I guess the plot sounds a bit boring though, it's a post-apocalyptic movie following a man on his journey across the US with the last remaining Bible.

Trust me, it's not boring. I think most would enjoy it.