Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

pauldyson1uk

Life

A team of scientists aboard the International Space Station discover a rapidly evolving life form, that caused extinction on Mars, and now threatens the crew and all life on Earth.
One of the better Sci-Fi films, I have seen.
Bit slow in parts but did not spoil what is a very good film.
Ending was a bit predictable, but they always are in these sort of films.

7/10

entropy

Pirates of the Caribbean DMTNT - Shite of 10

Horrible movie...story was shite and the two replacements for Knightley and the other tosser just didn't work....I haven't seen the previous fioms all the way through with the exception of the first...just bits and pieces but found them much more enjoyable.
:lol:

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The Mummy- Played out like YA horror (a mismatched attempt at balancing horror and humour that just didn't work). The dialogue and therefore the characters were just generic. Even Cruise's charisma failed to leave you caring much for his character. Russell Crowe was good and Sofia Boutella is just gorgeous (she made this and Star Trek just about worth watching). Ending was nonsensical. 5.5

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Bridge of Spies - 8/10

I'm a sucker for movies inspired by true events, and this one did not disappoint. Tom Hanks is, as usual, fantastic in his role. The story was interesting and captivating, although some of the moments which were meant to portray tension were quite predictable. A good watch.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Life Alien meets Gravity minus the tension orcthe scares of either. Nice cinematography but not much else.
Only surprise was that Ryan Reynolds died first before the black disabled guy and the Japanese guy.
The ending was as predictable as it was stupid. Don't waste your time watching this 3/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Hiroshima mon amour - I was in Hiroshima in April so thought I'd give this a whirl. The opening aside, this film did very little to get me going. I can appreciate it on an intellectual level but had no emotional reaction, which, in a film about this kind of trauma, is going to make it hard to enjoy. I would've rather heard his story to be honest.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Hiroshima mon amour - I was in Hiroshima in April so thought I'd give this a whirl. The opening aside, this film did very little to get me going. I can appreciate it on an intellectual level but had no emotional reaction, which, in a film about this kind of trauma, is going to make it hard to enjoy. I would've rather heard his story to be honest.

Pscholes18

Wonder Woman - 7/10

Way better than the trailer showed and I expected. I never found it to be too cheesey or hokey like a lot of comic book movies are. The comedy was just right...very subtle. And the fight scenes were great. Very much liked the ending.

Sidenote.....I didn't hate Green Lantern like most but it wasn't great either. They should redo it...that character deserves a brilliant fecking film.

GBBQ

The Founder: Biopic of Ray Kroc, the man who took McDonald's global, and focuses on the early days of launching the franchise. The cast is impressive but the script is a bit weak. Probably a missed opportunity but kept me interested for the run time. 7/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
The Magnificent Ambersons - the 88 minute cut. Still pretty great but it's obviously a bit of a mess. I haven't watched it in a long time and was a lot more aware of the missing pieces. A bit like The Crow in that respect.

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Life Alien meets Gravity minus the tension orcthe scares of either. Nice cinematography but not much else.
Only surprise was that Ryan Reynolds died first before the black disabled guy and the Japanese guy.
The ending was as predictable as it was stupid. Don't waste your time watching this 3/10
I really enjoyed it.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Pauline at the Beach - Really brilliant. A breezy film filled with articulate, seemingly effortless exchanges on the nature of love and so forth. A perfect summer film.

pauldyson1uk

Agree about the ending, but it was a better film that 3/10, well I thought so.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
The Founder: Biopic of Ray Kroc, the man who took McDonald's global, and focuses on the early days of launching the franchise. The cast is impressive but the script is a bit weak. Probably a missed opportunity but kept me interested for the run time. 7/10
I quite enjoyed that.
Probably one of the better films I've watched in 2017.

pauldyson1uk

Passengers

A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people has a malfunction in its sleep chambers. As a result, two passengers are awakened 90 years early.
Simple film with a simple plot, but I think it worked very well.
Lawrence and Pratt worked well together and I loved Sheen has a rather creepy android bartender.
I liked it more than I was expecting too.

7/10

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Supremacy (2014)

Available on Netflix. A tense, claustrophobic thriller about a white supremacist freed from jail after 15 years of incarceration. Having been picked up by a like-minded female compatriot, he ends up back on the wrong side of the law that very day. So much for making the most of your freedom! Of course the first person he comes into contact with just happens to be a black police officer...well that doesn't end well. So they are forced to go on the run and end up at the house of...yes you guessed it....a black family. Suffice to say neither party are over the moon at having to share the ensuing experience together.

Danny Glover (yeah, remember him), plays the patriarch of the family trying his best to keep the peace and everyone alive. However, he has his own past failings to deal with as they brought to the fore and uses his own experiences and clever psychology to wear the perpetrators down and save his family. The film is very well acted, particularly at the end and with some very tense moments throughout but probably about 20 mins too long. The white supremacist role is usually an easy one to play as they are generally not a very bright folk. While these types of films can be a hard watch due to the characters being portrayed and language used, it's not over the top and the main protagonists gradually end up wrestling with the strength and validity of their own convictions as their day gets worse. The film is supposed to be based on true events. The tension and level of dread is maintained throughout, interspersed with flashbacks of plot fillers to keep the viewer informed as the story unfolds, but ramped up a few notches towards an extremely volatile and emotionally charged conclusion. Thoroughly engaging piece of work.

I'm giving this a 7.5/10.

pauldyson1uk

Day of Reckoning

Years ago evil creatures from the underworld plagued the Earth with the intent of eliminating mankind. Dubbed the Day of Reckoning by survivors of the hellish holocaust, warriors of mankind again must battle the forces of darkness
Sci-Fi Channel rubbish, that was bad.

2/10

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Passengers

A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people has a malfunction in its sleep chambers. As a result, two passengers are awakened 90 years early.
Lawrence and Pratt worked well together and I loved Sheen has a rather creepy android bartender.

7/10
I didn't mind this you know, I kinda wanted it to take a dark turn though! It had the ingredients to, but didn't.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Why is Kong: Skull Island so brilliant? It really shouldn't be. The beast models and animation are some of the best I've seen since Harryhausen. Most of the action is in daylight too! The scene in the bone-yard looks incredible, with it's smokes and fluorescent colouring and skellington set design. What looks like slapdash casting provides real balance to the story and helps aid the more stark tonal shifts. Everything comes together to create a well rounded old school adventure flick. Really funny, really exciting and possibly the most enjoyable big-budget beasty B-picture since Tremors.

The last Kong was pretentious, interminable dreck, it cost a lot more and looked a lot worse, the last Godzilla was a complete washout. But yeah ok I'm on board for this.

If you don't trust me then trust the ever reliable Peter Bradshaw Good is Bad is Bad is Good scale:
Kong Skull Island = 1 star
King Kong 2005 = 5 stars

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The Mummy (2017)

So I saw this at the Odeon today. I don't know. I think the 1999 version with Fraser and Weisz was better. Can't believe that was 18 years ago!! Still this reboot was decent enough, if a little uninspiring. It would have benefited from less Cruise and more Boutella though, whose titular character was wasted really in this film. Just goes to show how powerful these movie trailers can be. I really expected a lot more from 'The Mummy' character and this probably would have been fine as an 'origins' movie if there was a sequel in the works as she really doesn't get going in this movie at all. But it doesn't look like that will happen as Universal are more intent on pushing their Dark Universe onto the movie going public. It's a bit too dark and menacing for younger kids though. The menace and violence in this film does not have the comedic element you get in these type of films, which would probably dumb it down to a '12A' instead of the '15' rating it is given. Overall it's a bit of a mish-mash with plot holes aplenty and certainly not one of Cruise's finest efforts. The main redeeming factor of this film is the gorgeous Sofia Boutella. I don't think even the draw of Tom Cruise will be enough to stop this from being consigned to the bin of mediocrity though.

I'm giving this a 6/10.

shabz

Baby Driver - Good, fun, non stop action movie. It's like Drive's adrenaline fuelled sibling. It Flows very well, the soundtrack is great, the lead actor does really and the supporting cast is star studded which makes even more solid. 8/10

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Passengers

7/10
Had totally forgot about this movie, considering watching it tonight.

Would you say it is more romance than Scifi? If it is just some romance story set in space I won't bother.

pauldyson1uk

Had totally forgot about this movie, considering watching it tonight.

Would you say it is more romance than Scifi? If it is just some romance story set in space I won't bother.
my honest opinion, more of a romance than Sci-Fi.
The only Sci-Fi for me is that is is set in space, but it is still worth watching, if only for Sheen the creepy barman.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Shawshank Redemption (1994)

It was on TV so I figured why not watch it again? And the movie still holds up for me. Simply a masterpiece and one of the greatest movies ever IMO. It has everything: a good script, good music, great acting and a satisfactory ending.

pauldyson1uk

Shawshank Redemption (1994)

It was on TV so I figured why not watch it again? And the movie still holds up for me. Simply a masterpiece and one of the greatest movies ever IMO. It has everything: a good script, good music, great acting and a satisfactory ending.
I always watch this when it is on , never get tried of it, easy 10/10 film.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
It Comes at Night - tight little psychological thriller from Trey Edward Shults, with Joel Edgerton. Very good, full of dread, nicely ambiguous, fluffs the ending a bit. People are bitching about the trailer selling it as a different kind of film, but feck people who take trailers that seriously.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It Comes at Night - tight little psychological thriller from Trey Edward Shults, with Joel Edgerton. Very good, full of dread, nicely ambiguous, fluffs the ending a bit. People are bitching about the trailer selling it as a different kind of film, but feck people who take trailers that seriously.
I've avoided the trailer, just saw the teaser and I'm pretty certain I'll love this. Not sure when it's released in UK...

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
John Wick, second chapter. What a film...what a body count! Putting science fiction or fantasy as one of the genre for it wouldn't be out of place. Nicely made, but I did grew tired of the too long fights, be it gun or fist ones.

Looking forward to third.

6.5/10

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Amazing Spiderman 2
On ITV now and had never gotten round to watching. The fast flashy cuts and speeding up of the action make the chase scenes barely watchable and borderline nauseating. The one-liners grate too.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Transformers: The Last Knight

I haven't seen any of the others, but this is really, really, really not good.

GBBQ

Transformers: The Last Knight

I haven't seen any of the others, but this is really, really, really not good.
Absolutely atrocious movie. I don't expect a whole lot from blockbusters (they're not intended as high art so why judge them by the same standards) and I can forgive a lot of plot holes or shoddy writing so long as the movie keeps me entertained for the duration but this missed the mark in pretty much every conceivable way. Glad i didn't pay to see it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why is Kong: Skull Island so brilliant? It really shouldn't be. The beast models and animation are some of the best I've seen since Harryhausen. Most of the action is in daylight too! The scene in the bone-yard looks incredible, with it's smokes and fluorescent colouring and skellington set design. What looks like slapdash casting provides real balance to the story and helps aid the more stark tonal shifts. Everything comes together to create a well rounded old school adventure flick. Really funny, really exciting and possibly the most enjoyable big-budget beasty B-picture since Tremors.

The last Kong was pretentious, interminable dreck, it cost a lot more and looked a lot worse, the last Godzilla was a complete washout. But yeah ok I'm on board for this.

If you don't trust me then trust the ever reliable Peter Bradshaw Good is Bad is Bad is Good scale:
Kong Skull Island = 1 star
King Kong 2005 = 5 stars
I wanted to give this a similar review but the script, dear god, the script...