Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Transformers: The Last Knight

I haven't seen any of the others, but this is really, really, really not good.
Absolutely atrocious movie. I don't expect a whole lot from blockbusters (they're not intended as high art so why judge them by the same standards) and I can forgive a lot of plot holes or shoddy writing so long as the movie keeps me entertained for the duration but this missed the mark in pretty much every conceivable way. Glad i didn't pay to see it.
:( Was so looking forward to this! I really enjoyed the first one and Dark of the Moon was ok. Revenge of the Fallen was a complete and utter mess with almost every character, including some of the Autobots completely nauseating. And at least Age of Extinction did away with the damned awful Witwicky family. I had high hopes for The Last Knight.

Sylar

The transformers series has a whole has been atrocious. It started of meh, and somehow just kept getting worse.
The last movie with the whole romeo and juliet to justify some dude 20 year old banging a 17 year old was just a wtf moment. They spent more time on justifying that then probably the rest of the movie.
I was kinda hoping the new one would be kinda cooler with Hopkins in it, at least.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
As long as the Transformer films make a billion dollars, they'll keep making them. This one is going to flop though, so it's the beginning of the end.

Depressingly, Warner Bros. has just announced they're going to start cutting down on middling budgeted films, the 30-60 million range, which is the area already most neglected by the studios, and the area most of the best American directors function in. So it's going to get worse.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
:( Was so looking forward to this! I really enjoyed the first one and Dark of the Moon was ok. Revenge of the Fallen was a complete and utter mess with almost every character, including some of the Autobots completely nauseating. And at least Age of Extinction did away with the damned awful Witwicky family. I had high hopes for The Last Knight.
I just struggle to believe this film was written by an actual adult.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The original animated 1986 Transformers: The Movie is still the best Transformers movie by a long long way... and more then that, is just a film of unparalleled genius (and i'll fight anyone who says otherwise...)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When I'm looking for a movie to watch I usually end up watching movies from before 2010. I'm not gonna say this is a bad decade, it's just not for me. I am not a comic fan so you can imagine how annoyed I am with all the comic movies. For others however it's fantastic.

Anyone else having this issue?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Have you tried looking for non comic book films? There are plenty of very good ones worth watching.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I don't know which franchise depresses me the most. Fast & Furious or Transformers.

Probably FF.
Definitely FF. Awful, awful, awful. It's just one big, 2 hour circle jerk. Only with more grease and hugging than your average circle jerk.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Transformers shits on F&F.

F&F is one of the worst franchises to ever exist.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Free Fire

Starts off quite funny but then fizzles out in the last hour mainly due to having a lack of quirky characters to sustain it (with the exception of Jack Reynor and Sharlto Copley).

SwansonsTache

So anyone who can comment on how "Airplane" matches up to "Man with the naked gun", "Hot Shots" and "Top Secret"?

Just watched the original "Man with the naked gun" the other day and pissed myself laughing, had forgot how funny these slapstick comedies actually are.

Got all three in my torrent client at the moment and want to know how I should prioritize.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
So anyone who can comment on how "Airplane" matches up to "Man with the naked gun", "Hot Shots" and "Top Secret"?

Just watched the original "Man with the naked gun" the other day and pissed myself laughing, had forgot how funny these slapstick comedies actually are.

Got all three in my torrent client at the moment and want to know how I should prioritize.
Go for Airplane then Hot Shots. Don't know the other one. Leslie Neilsen was a master at those films. Have you seen Police Squad?

SwansonsTache

Go for Airplane then Hot Shots. Don't know the other one. Leslie Neilsen was a master at those films. Have you seen Police Squad?
Yeah, Police Squad is the "Man with the naked gun" ones, 1 and 2 are great, the third is a chore.

Edit: Oh, you mean "Police Squad!" the 1982 one? Not seen that one, thought the "Man with the naked gun" was a spoof based on that, didn't realize that Police Squad was a spoof as well.

Tarrou

Kind Arthur might be one of the worst things ever made. I mean what the feck Guy Ritchie?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
John Wick: Chapter 2

There is no much story, no characterization, some things don't have much sense but couldn't take my eyes from it and the movie flew by. Action scenes are on another level and in these case you really should just buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Looking forward to Chapter 3

7,5/10

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Baby Driver

Not sure it was entirely worthy of the wankworthy reviews from all and sundry but as action movies go it ticked all the right boxes (although I was actually expecting more car chases if I'm honest). Hell as musicals go it ticked all the right boxes too. Good cast and good fun. I swear I've seen that Mike Myers gag before though somewhere...

Also if you're watching this at an Empire Cinema (and have never been before) make sure you don't make the mistake of turning up 15 minutes late to avoid trailers like the dozen or so noobs in my showing who ended up missing the best car chase in the film. :lol:

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Baby Driver

Not sure it was entirely worthy of the wankworthy reviews from all and sundry but as action movies go it ticked all the right boxes (although I was actually expecting more car chases if I'm honest). Hell as musicals go it ticked all the right boxes too. Good cast and good fun. I swear I've seen that Mike Myers gag before though somewhere...
Yeah that's my take to be honest. It's a whole lot of fun, and anything with cars is pretty exemplary (though nothing even comes remotely close to matching the opening scene)... but there's nothing much between the ears here at all, and the plot is incredibly simple. It's pretty much a mindless summer blockbuster (but a really well made one all the same) and should be treated as such, not some ground-breaking piece of cinema or anything.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yeah that's my take to be honest. It's a whole lot of fun, and anything with cars is pretty exemplary (though nothing even comes remotely close to matching the opening scene)... but there's nothing much between the ears here at all, and the plot is incredibly simple. It's pretty much a mindless summer blockbuster (but a really well made one all the same) and should be treated as such, not some ground-breaking piece of cinema or anything.
Indeed. The plot was paper thin and the characters largely caricatures but I still enjoyed it. I mean why would someone like Spacey's 'Doc' character even hire unstable psychotics' like Jamie Foxx's 'Bats'.

Also
why the feck would he not tell them that they were buying guns from the police
:wenger:

But yeah I'm not gonna go down that route. I like Edgar Wright and hope this does well for him.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Indeed. The plot was paper thin and the characters largely caricatures but I still enjoyed it. I mean why would someone like Spacey's 'Doc' character even hire unstable psychotics' like Jamie Foxx's 'Bats'.

Also
why the feck would he not tell them that they were buying guns from the police
:wenger:

But yeah I'm not gonna go down that route. I like Edgar Wright and hope this does well for him.
Jamie Foxx's character was basically if his Horrible Bosses character was an actual criminal.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
War Dogs
Been looking forward to this for a while and finally saw it. Whilst the two leads were great and it was a pretty decent film, it just seemed to be missing something. I can't really remember any stand out scenes from it at all. Maybe I was just not in the right mood 6/10

Blade Runner

Watched this as a kid and didn't understand it but now revisiting it, I realize there wasnt much to understand. For a sci fi that's so highly regarded, it felt very simple. Nevertheless, still had a fun time watching it and probably would have enjoyed it more had i seen it when it came out but if I was also a bit older 6.5/10

Back To The Future

I might be 32 years late but man did this film live up to the hype. Really had a blast watching this and can't wait for to watch parts 2 and 3. Such a good movie 8.5/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Airplane is brilliant, watch it now. So so funny. The second one is ok if I recall correctly, but not 100% sure.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Back To The Future
I might be 32 years late but man did this film live up to the hype. Really had a blast watching this and can't wait for to watch parts 2 and 3. Such a good movie 8.5/10
Awesome. Better late than never as some say.

Sequels are poorer, of course, but still good, careful with the *science* too.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
OKJA. Another wonderful and inconsistent Bong Joon-ho film sees a young girl in a struggle to save her giant pig from the butchers block. Again the tone is all over the place; from slapstick clowning to bleak horror within moments (more often than not it works). It has the feel of a family film in the spirit of E.T. or Beethoven but with liberal use of the word feck and a chilling ending. The film highlights the brutality of industrial meat, the powers and pitfalls of social media and our consumption of both. It's easy to see the influence of co-writer Jon Ronson in the way that the film unabashedly implicates everything and everyone. Tilda gives another odd and oddly enjoyable performance as the woman behind Big-Farmer (Pig-Pharma? - I'm sure there's a good joke there somewhere), before showing up again later as her twin sister Theresa May. Another fine mess.

The Swimmer.
An Odyssean journey through a landscape of regrets and suburban opulent vacuity via the neighbourhood's swimming pools. Burt Lancaster plays the bronzed Homeric hero who conceives the idea in a mad moment of epiphany. It's a melancholic film filled with bizarre creativity, grand and grandiose themes, succinct storytelling and beautiful characterisation (basically all the good things that don't usually go together). Think Frankenheimer's Seconds crossed with The Twilight Zone and wrapped in an Ovidian romance. It's in the Kane/Plainview mould both in theme and quality. Epic win.

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Swimmer. An Odyssean journey through a landscape of regrets and suburban opulent vacuity via the neighbourhood's swimming pools. Burt Lancaster plays the bronzed Homeric hero who conceives the idea in a mad moment of epiphany. It's a melancholic film filled with bizarre creativity, grand and grandiose themes, succinct storytelling and beautiful characterisation (basically all the good things that don't usually go together). Think Frankenheimer's Seconds crossed with The Twilight Zone and wrapped in an Ovidian romance. It's in the Kane/Plainview mould both in theme and quality. Epic win.
Brilliant, unnerving film. Lancaster galloping across the fields is quite a towering sight.

Will Absolute

Burt Lancaster was a real powerhouse.

I saw The Professionals a while back after an interval of decades and it was great. Anyone looking for a fun action flick with characters who are recognizable human beings rather than the testosterone filled dolls they became in the Arnie/Stallone era should watch this movie. Punchy script, perfectly paced, with a simple but serviceable storyline, and top performances from an all star cast.

It's wildly implausible but none of its heroes walk on water. Towards the end of the film Jack Palance even makes a speech explaining the psychology of left wing or revolutionary idealism. The movie makers obviously sympathised but didn't acknowledge the inherent narcissism.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Just seen the new Jumanji trailer and what a steaming pile of SHIT.

Seriously why is it even called Jumanji it's nothing like the original. They've turned a classic into a typical over the top action/cgi-fest.