Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

kps88

Baby Driver

Not sure it was entirely worthy of the wankworthy reviews from all and sundry but as action movies go it ticked all the right boxes (although I was actually expecting more car chases if I'm honest). Hell as musicals go it ticked all the right boxes too. Good cast and good fun. I swear I've seen that Mike Myers gag before though somewhere.
Yep. I'm a big Wright fan and have been waiting for this for years but I felt slightly disappointed. It's his weakest film.

And maybe it was just me but I could barely recognise a song from the soundtrack and none of them stood out as songs either.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just seen the new Jumanji trailer and what a steaming pile of SHIT.

Seriously why is it even called Jumanji it's nothing like the original. They've turned a classic into a typical over the top action/cgi-fest.
Not sure why but I didnt mind it... maybe because I like The Rock. He's always fun.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not sure why but I didnt mind it... maybe because I like The Rock. He's always fun.
I used to like him but he's in literally every new movie

It's not so much the film I'm just annoyed they've turned a classic film into typical over the top, mind numbing Hollywood drivel.

I dont know maybe it's because it's one of my childhood films but The film isn't jumanji at all.

Rick88

Legion of Brothers

A documentry on the 100 odd Special Forces soldiers who were the first to be deployed in Afghanistan. Start was a bit slow and a bit over the place but slowly grew into it. The last twenty mins hits you hard in the gut. Excellent background score in the last few minutes too. A solid 7/10

Sylar

Seriously why is it even called Jumanji it's nothing like the original. They've turned a classic into a typical over the top action/cgi-fest.
Its a weird one. When it was announced, everybody was saying why do we need the same movie again but with different actors.
But now its changing (video game instead of game board) people are annoyed about that.

I personally find Rock and Hart together funny.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Same. I watched it and thought to myself 'oh man, everyone is going to complain about this!' but I'm kind of looking forward to seeing it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Follow
A man receives a gun from his girlfriend as an early Christmas gift and blacks out. He wakes up the next morning and sees his life crumble around him. I liked the premise but the characters kept making the most stupid decisions and that frustrated the hell out of me. Luckily it was only 77 minutes and there were some unintentionally funny moments but over all, it was @pauldyson1uk level of shit 3/10

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Liked the T2 Trainspotting film. Some scenes are fantastic, characters great and cast in form. Lovely soundtrack too. I just felt nothing about the Veronika's storyline, could've cut it all out.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Liked the T2 Trainspotting film. Some scenes are fantastic, characters great and cast in form. Lovely soundtrack too. I just felt nothing about the Veronika's storyline, could've cut it all out.
Aye, she felt very flat among the main cast.

Sylar

Watched Transformers Last Knight. It was... ok. Ok for a transformers movie I mean. Damn, they did stretch the movie though, felt like it would never end. It really didnt need 2 and half hours imo. I prefer Marky Mark over the previous actor saying no no no no no no no about 10 times a movie though.

kotha

Baby Driver.. Don't know what happened to the script in the end.. Was a nice build up for 90 mins, then suddenly becomes shit.. I have no idea why it's getting the reviews that it gets.. They could have made the end so much better..

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Baby Driver.. Don't know what happened to the script in the end.. Was a nice build up for 90 mins, then suddenly becomes shit.. I have no idea why it's getting the reviews that it gets.. They could have made the end so much better..
Meh, I enjoyed it a lot, had a lot more to it than most action crap. It's also directed really well.

RORY65

There's about four endings, if Edgar Wright had gone with just one of them it would have been better. It's a shame as well because you come out of the film with the most recent experience being the weakest part of it because for the most part it's terrific, there's not much meaning or depth to it but it's fun and exciting (which isn't to be taken for granted), it looks great, the car chases are really well done and I liked that the soundtrack wasn't full of the most obvious, mainstream choices.

kotha

There's about four endings, if Edgar Wright had gone with just one of them it would have been better. It's a shame as well because you come out of the film with the most recent experience being the weakest part of it because for the most part it's terrific, there's not much meaning or depth to it but it's fun and exciting (which isn't to be taken for granted), it looks great, the car chases are really well done and I liked that the soundtrack wasn't full of the most obvious, mainstream choices.
Ya I would say the same.. That was what was disappointing.. The build up and the first car chase was absolutely mint!!

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I really enjoyed Baby Driver, the opening chase scene was brilliant (although I'm not really sure why they had the best chase scene at the start of the film) and it was a fun roller-coaster ride throughout, I thought the main guy was really good and Lily James is fecking adorable. 8/10.

Clas Sified

I went into Transformers: The Last Knight merely expecting a brainless action sequel, with lots of explosions and good visuals all round. Somehow, the film managed to fall below those (low) expectations and instead delivered a shocking film that I can't believe I spent money on. The plot is confusing throughout, some scenes just straight-out don't make sense, and it's chock-full of clichés. 2/10

GBBQ

Saw Baby Driver on Friday. Its a marvel from a technical standpoint (the choreography of some the scenes must have been painstaking) the cast was pretty awesome too (especially Buddy, Bats and Darling). I thought the ending was a bit of a cop out, specifically Spacey's motivation
Baby had just compromised his whole operation due to getting sloppy and suddenly he is going to cover him while he runs away because of Love. This is the same guy who threatened to put him in a wheelchair for not taking a job and made a point of finding out about everyone connected to Baby to use them as leverage.

But on the whole it was great fun and well worth a watch. The trailers did absolutely nothing for me so if you're put off by that, definitely give it a chance. 8/10

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Transformers: The Last Knight

I know this film has been panned to death on here and as a result I went into the cinema today not expecting much at all. Well the first half/two-thirds didn't disappoint with the usual collection of really irritating characters (both human and cybertronic), the most terrible dialogue and a really jumbled story. Trying to bring the whole human/cybertron history full circle just didn't work....or make any sense. And of course, every long running movie franchise has to have that 'good guy gone rogue' moment to keep it fresh and add that twist but even that didn't work! I nearly dozed off half way through the movie, but once all the annoying characters and dialogue had been dispensed with and the action started to take off, the last hour was really enjoyable. Shame you have to sit though 90 minutes of rubbish first. But the action was not over the top or filled with cheesy one-liners. Decent enough to make amends for the first two-thirds.

I must say though that Barricade's police car was one of the most beautiful cars from the whole franchise. I loved his car in the first instalment so it was good to see him back new and improved...gorgeous car. I am still a bit of a sucker for the Transformers series but that is mainly because of the effects. Forget what you might say about the film itself, they are still pretty awesome. Unfortunately, special effects are not enough to save a film. I would love to see a more darker, grittier Transformers movie....they've got everything they need. Hopefully now that Bay is bowing out, we might just get it with a new director and new direction. I'm not giving up on it just yet.

I'm giving this a 5/10.

Tarrou

Baby Driver is great fun and would recommend seeing it in the cinema. Gotta be in line for the film editing Oscar? Seriously impressive stuff.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Baby driver getting great reviews on here, watched the trailers again and the storyline looks like the typical action type, guy in with bad guys, wants out, bad guys won't let him, plus love interest too. Basically the trailer looks like it tells you the full storyline?

I take it the action scenes must be immense?

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Baby driver getting great reviews on here, watched the trailers again and the storyline looks like the typical action type, guy in with bad guys, wants out, bad guys won't let him, plus love interest too. Basically the trailer looks like it tells you the full storyline?

It's not really about the story, which is basically Grand Theft Auto: The Movie.

The film's brilliant because of the soundtrack and the way they edit/ mixit into the entire film. Every bit of dialogue, gunfire, driving and choreography is designed to interact with the soundtrack. You could almost describe it as La La Land if you replaced the singing with car chases and gun fights, but that sounds terrible so I won't.

If you liked the "Don't Stop Me Now" scene from Shaun of the Dead you'll definitely enjoy this.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

It's exactly as people are saying, a good 7/8 out of 10 movie, with great set-pieces and music with little between the ears.

Sylar

Saw Baby Driver today. So much fun.

Was hoping Jon Bernthal was used more in it, but then everything could use more Jon Bernthal :)
Also realised Eiza González is just smoking hot :)
It was a fun movie.

Ive read a lot on here say they wish the ending was different. How though? just wondering...

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Filth (2013)

Full of inappropriate content as the title suggests.

All in all, one crazy movie in which James McAvoy proves that he excels in a role of a lunatic. Great acting.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Baby Driver

What's not to say that pretty much hasn't been said already. It sort of peaked and troughed for me with a blistering start, bit of a slow middle and a frenetic showdown at the end. Basically a soundtrack with moving pictures, the music here taking centre stage. Some nicely synchronised to music moments throughout but after all the hype, to be honest I was expecting a lot more. If you want to ignore all the gaping plot holes and just go along for the ride, you won't be disappointed.

I'm giving this a 6/10.

pauldyson1uk

Book of Blood.

A paranormal expert discovers a house that is at the intersection of so-called "highways" transporting souls in the afterlife.
Based on the book by Clive Barker, for a Horror Channel film, I thought this was OK.
Acting was good, decent story and an OK ending.

5/10

Sylar

I always read the line:
"after all the hype, to be honest I was expecting a lot more"

This is surely killing the experience for a lot of people nowadays.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I always read the line:

Hype kills everything. I remember when Day Watch came out I had been waiting a year so was super hyped when it finalle arrived, ended up disappointed. Watched it again a while later with my expectations tempered and realised it was a pretty good film.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Hype kills everything. I remember when Day Watch came out I had been waiting a year so was super hyped when it finalle arrived, ended up disappointed. Watched it again a while later with my expectations tempered and realised it was a pretty good film.
Agree. Day Watch and Night Watch are pretty good films after a couple of viewings when you get to understand what the feck is actually going on.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I was really hyped for Baby Driver and when I came out from watching it the only complaint I had was that they criminally underused Radar Love :(

I thought Jon Hamm was great, as was Foxx. That scene in the diner...

When Baby goes to get Deborah and Buddy is sat there and they play Barry White, just the way Buddy and Baby looked at each other was fantastic when buddy started singing :lol:

Also that scene set to Focus - Hocus pocus was simply :drool: was so cool when Darling got shot and they slowed down Buddy and then snapped it back in when he popped up shooting. The editing in this movie was absolutely sublime. It's exactly the type of film I would make

Very solid 8/10

Also just watched Ghost in the Shell which I was pleasantly surprised with. I didn't think it was amazing and lacked the something special but it was pretty cool visually and pretty entertaining nonetheless. ScarJo :drool:

8/10

pauldyson1uk

Alien Covenant

I was not expecting much from this , bad reviews on here and elsewhere.
A step up from Prometheus and Fassbender has the very creepy David / Walter was very good.
Waterston was just a younger version of Ripley, well a watered down version.
The acting was passable to poor.
At times I thought I was watching an Alien remake, there should have been a very good film in there but sadly there was not, just a very predictable average , sci-fi horror film.

4.5/10

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I always read the line:

Pretty simple solution. Go watch it in the first few days and avoid reviews.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Pretty simple solution. Go watch it in the first few days and avoid reviews.
I don't really pay attention to reviews ESPECIALLY professional film critics (La La Land for feck's sake!) as they are purely subjective opinions. In relation to the comments and reviews on here, (for me) Transformers: The Last Knight was better than I thought it would be and Baby Driver was not as good as I expected.

Jev

I don't really pay attention to reviews ESPECIALLY professional film critics (La La Land for feck's sake!) as they are purely subjective opinions. In relation to the comments and reviews on here, (for me) Transformers: The Last Knight was better than I thought it would be and Baby Driver was not as good as I expected.
It's a romantic musical. What did you expect? Within its genre, I can't see how it could have been any better. I normally don't like musicals at all but I thought La La Land was a wonderful film.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's a romantic musical. What did you expect? Within its genre, I can't see how it could have been any better. I normally don't like musicals at all but I thought La La Land was a wonderful film.
Believable romance, comedy, stars who could dance and non-shit tunes.