Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Zero Days (2016): 7.5/10

Interesting documentary about cyber warfare and Stuxnet. I felt it did a good job on trying to make the audience understand how powerful such a cyber weapon is.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Becoming Warren Buffett (2017): 6/10

Don't expect this docu to teach you about how Buffett invests, that's not the primary theme of the documentary. It's more about his upbringing, his personal values and his family etc.

SteveTheRed

Of course it is.

Anyway, just watched Moneyball. I have never watched a Baseball game in my life and know nothing about it, but I loved the movie. 9/10
This is a fantastic film. I watched it on a plane before and it was a hard sell to get my friends/family to watch but they all thought it was great.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Baby Driver - despite Wright's sharp direction, a tremendous supporting cast (Hamm, Foxx and Spacey all great) and great music, this was pretty disappointing. Ansel Elgort is lamer than Charlie Hunnam and Lily James is pretty wet.

The Beguiled - all atmosphere, no substance. Like most of Coppola's films. The original sounds more interesting.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
War for the Planet of the Apes (8/10) - Now that was fecking badass. Really enjoyed this movie and had me full-on cheering for the apes. A rare trilogy finale that satisfyingly gets it right. Saw the first movie which I thought was decent, and I've seen bits and pieces of the 2nd installment on movie channels, but wasn't expecting this. An uncomplicated story (ape wants revenge), good acting (Woody Harrelson nails it as usual) , awesome CGI and special effects, seriously beautiful cinematography, and throw in some amazing action sequences near the end there and you've got yourself a summer blockbuster. Did I mention there's talking apes on horseback with guns?!?

Last edited:

Sigma

Having never seen a Wes Anderson movie, I'm planning on going on a Wes Anderthon. Any advice on what sort of movies his are like, and if they are good or not, if so which is the best one?

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Having never seen a Wes Anderson movie, I'm planning on going on a Wes Anderthon. Any advice on what sort of movies his are like, and if they are good or not, if so which is the best one?
Weird, quirky indie type movies, if you get what I mean. I enjoy them, can be very funny at times and very pretty, especially Grand Budapest Hotel. I'd say Rushmore is his best film though, followed by Royal Tenenbaums.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The royal tenenbaums, life aquatic, fantastic Mr fox and grand Budapest hotel are my favorites.

Tarrou

I thought Rushmore was quite good but since then I've grown to progressively hate WA moves. The same thing happened with Noah Baumbach I suppose, because again every film is exactly the same.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Wow, that's really similar. Was there any controversy against Zimmer about this?
Can't see to find any. All I found was a couple of post saying Zimmer said it was a homage to Bandlands(True Romance is very similar to Badlands).

Surely it just falls under classical music's Variation on a Theme tradition.
Yes I guess, its just such a lazy interpretation.

bucky

I am not quite sure, why Baby Driver has gotten as much praise as it did. The soundtrack, humour and the direction of Wright in general is quite good, but the story isn't all that. It's being praised as an original story, yet we've seen a somewhat similar story before in Drive, only this time it gets an Edgar Wright spin. It's a fun ride, I suppose, but also quite shallow. I am probably going to enjoy it more the second time around, since my expectations will be lower.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I am not quite sure, why Baby Driver has gotten as much praise as it did. The soundtrack, humour and the direction of Wright in general is quite good, but the story isn't all that. It's being praised as an original story, yet we've seen a somewhat similar story before in Drive, only this time it gets an Edgar Wright spin. It's a fun ride, I suppose, but also quite shallow. I am probably going to enjoy it more the second time around, since my expectations will be lower.
I find it really annoying how low standards are in the movie industry. It's just another brainless movie that you'll forget in an hour.

bucky

I find it really annoying how low standards are in the movie industry. It's just another brainless movie that you'll forget in an hour.
I wouldn't go that far. Some of the ideas are definitely good here and worth watching, the story just wasn't that impressive for me.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Is tbe film any good once you get beyond that? Had to do some work and it looked like the kind of film you couldn't half watch- intense.
I liked it. Some scenes are really intense indeed. That opening scene has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the film, don't be put off by it.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Baby Driver a good, fun film, but it's a triumph of editing as much as anything else. The first half is great, the second half rather standard. There's also not that many car chases in it, and it's lacking any real heart.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Is tbe film any good once you get beyond that? Had to do some work and it looked like the kind of film you couldn't half watch- intense.
Victoria Coren summarised it almost as well as I did in my review (well done to her):
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/22/nocturnal-animal-film-rape-murder-repulsive

"The film opens with an extended sequence of large women (perhaps size 20 or 30) dancing naked on podiums. These are not rendered beautiful. They are clearly intended to be grotesque, nightmarish. Because you know what’s hideous? Fat women! And you know what’s beautiful? Dead women!"

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He makes color pops. Eccentricity is heavily overplayed. All his characters are "wacky". You can basically look at a film still from any live-action movie it is and instantly know that he's the director. It's a nice tell so it's easy to stay away.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I particularly like the way she calls out Bradshaw and Kermode (both I do like by the way). Two typical pinko libs who will happily call sexism at the drop of a hat, unless that hat happens to be designed by a faux sophisticate fashionista. In which case he is free to present any amount of vacuous horrific misogyny, and the boys will sit in the dark stroking their chins to climax.

decorativeed

I'd agree with mystry's post.

If possible, start with Rushmore. If you don't like the humour in that, then don't bother with the rest, which are more stylised but with the trademark style of dialogue, music and photography you'll have seen in Rushmore.

After that, if you're into it, I'd suggest Royal Tenenbaums, Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonlight Kingdom and Fantastic Mr Fox.

Life Aquatic has its moments and plenty of Bill Murray, but it's missing something. Darjeeling Limited is forgettable and Bottle Rocket is good enough for a low budget debut.