Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It's a romantic musical. What did you expect? Within its genre, I can't see how it could have been any better. I normally don't like musicals at all but I thought La La Land was a wonderful film.
Glad you enjoyed it. I could say the same about the Transformers movies. They are what they are. And Bay has done really well with them. But a lot of people still hate them.

Stringer

Glad you enjoyed it. I could say the same about the Transformers movies. They are what they are. And Bay has done really well with them. But a lot of people still hate them.
Nah the Transformers films are awful even taking into account the lowered expectations. Overlong and take themselves way too seriously with racist stereotypes to boot. There is a reason the new one is flopping. Your comparisons with La La Land are way off.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nah the Transformers films are awful even taking into account the lowered expectations. Overlong and take themselves way too seriously with racist stereotypes to boot. There is a reason the new one is flopping. Your comparisons with La La Land are way off.
No they're not. It's just proving my point that opinions are purely subjective....and so are film reviews. Whether a person enjoys a film or not is not necessarily a barometer for how good that film is. That's all I'm saying.

Stringer

No they're not. It's just proving my point that opinions are purely subjective....and so are film reviews. Whether a person enjoys a film or not is not necessarily a barometer for how good that film is. That's all I'm saying.
Anyone who thinks Michael Bay has done 'really well' with the Transformers films is not to be taken seriously. Sorry.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Anyone who thinks Michael Bay has done 'really well' with the Transformers films is not to be taken seriously. Sorry.
I'm guessing you're one of those that reckon The Dark Knight is a modern classic??

Sigma

I'm guessing you're one of those that reckon The Dark Knight is a modern classic??
Of course it is.

Anyway, just watched Moneyball. I have never watched a Baseball game in my life and know nothing about it, but I loved the movie. 9/10

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Watched a few films over the last few days. This moring I watched The Producers (1968) for the first time in ages. Cracks me up!

8/10 I reckon
Bloody great film. I am Roger De Bris. :D

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
A Dark Song. Creeping dread occult thriller. Stars Steve Oram as an abusive occultist who agrees to help Catherine Walker's grief stricken mother. Really good, very unsettling film with an extremely bold finale that didn't entirely work for me, but nonetheless it's a success.

Free Fire. the initial set up is fine but I found watching wounded crims crawling around a warehouse for an hour boring and pointless. Compare that to the exuberance of Resevoir Dogs (for entirely unknown reasons you understand nonchalant whistle)

Ghost in the Shell. Not very good and lacks the rigour of the anime but it's watchable in a: oh that's a nice effect, wtf is she naked? Hah Takeshi, lols Oshii's dog, kind of way.

Also rewatched Moana and it's still magnificent. Certainly my favourite Disney since Aladdin.

Sigma

Midnight in Paris

Loved it. Beautiful movie (literally), funny and thought-provoking.

9/10

Sigma

Love the film. I usually can't stand Owen Wilson but he was really good in this film.
Yeah. The only gripe I had with the movie was using the opening 4 minutes as an advert for Paris. Other than that I thought it was great.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Mr. Right
A woman (Anna Kendrick) falls in love with a deranged hitman (Sam Rockwell) who is being chased by his old boss (Tim Roth). A chick flick/action movie so you can enjoy with the missus. Both leads were great, especially Rockwell. Anna Kendrick looking super skinny though... she needs to sort that shit out. A shame the kung fu scenes were very choppy as that was my main flaw with the film but overall I had a decent time 6/10

Verminator

My name is Lenny
Eery likeness from the lead. Over does the gurning a bit at times.
Missed out a fair bit of the Guvnor's story but much better than expected.
A cameo from the late John Hurt too.
Marked down because they tried to copy Bronson in the madness stakes.
Still a solid 7.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Spiderman: Homecoming - one of the good ones, in fact the first I've really enjoyed since the first Guardians of the Galaxy. Tom Holland is just right as Peter Parker, Keaton's a terrific villain (he's actually a bit complex, and not a computer program!), there's a lack of clutter because the Avengers aren't involved (Tony Stark aside). One thing that did bother, the lack of light, quick cuts and reversing camera angles in the big set pieces made them visually incoherent and impossible to follow at times. But other than that, really good.

It's final end credits scene is great too.

pauldyson1uk

The Quite Ones

A university professor and a team of students conduct an experiment on a young woman, uncovering terrifyingly dark, unexpected forces in the process.
It was better than a lot of possession films I have watched.
Harris is well cast as the physics professor slowly declining into madness in a knowing manner very reminiscent of classic Hammer-horror and Sam Claflin a very believable character struggling with his own beliefs as the absolute horror of the experiment becomes increasingly harder to deal with.Olivia Cooke is also very good as Jane, the tortured subject of the experiment.
I gave it a 5 at first, but decided after a prompt it was better than a 5

7/10

Oceans Rising

A scientist builds a boat after his warnings of an Earth-destroying flood are ignored. But when it's evident the disaster will occur, those who maligned the scientist now turn to him in desperation, boarding the ark and seeking his answers before the world drowns in a never ending sea.
Yes it is an Asylum film for Sci-Fi Channel, yes it has dreadful reviews, but I am a sucker for crappy end of the world disaster stuff, but it is a poor film.

2/10

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
How come you only gave 5/10 for a film you've praised a lot in your review, mate? It sounds really decent, the way you've described it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The first one was great fun but are now unwatchable.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Oceans Rising

A scientist builds a boat after his warnings of an Earth-destroying flood are ignored. But when it's evident the disaster will occur, those who maligned the scientist now turn to him in desperation, boarding the ark and seeking his answers before the world drowns in a never ending sea.
Yes it is an Asylum film for Sci-Fi Channel, yes it has dreadful reviews, but I am a sucker for crappy end of the world disaster stuff, but it is a poor film.

2/10
I thought this was a science documentary like Planet Earth. Dull beyond belief. 2/10 is too good for this.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Call Up
8 Online gamers are invited to test a virtual reality beta but soon find out that it's actually a game of life and death. Didn't mind the concept and generally, it was ok. Some cool effects for a low budget film and the acting wasn't terrible. Some characters made annoyingly stupid decisions though and that really bugged. Nevertheless, it was a decent way to pass 80 minutes 5.5/10

The Adjustment Bureau

Watched this when it came out but completely forgot everything about it. Quite enjoyed it this time around. Had the love story that the wife enjoyed and there was great chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. It had some cool sci-fi concepts and I just wish it tapped more into that side of things. But must say, those hats looked fecking ridiculous 7/10

mancan92

Transformers 5?

I haven't watched one of these since 2 but recently got an odeon limitless card so thought I'd just try it out again.

My god what a mess. Everyone's motivations are all over the place, theres the most forced love story I've ever seen, soo many subplots that don't make any sense or get any pay off, action was beyond nonsense etc.

Only good thing about it was Anthony Hopkins who was funny. Every other character is as one dimensional as it gets. I mean why do they carry on making these? genuinely bad movies not even just decent popcorn entertainment.

2/10

Jericholyte2

So I went to see War for the Planet of the Apes last night.

I was absolutely blown away by this film although it is definitely not the film that's being advertised. Firstly, the CGI and mo-cap for the apes is just stunning, helped by the great performances to give the apes real personality and character. The actors need to petition the Academy to add motion-captured performances to the Oscars because Andy Serkis should be the front runner!

The story was engaging and thought-provoking and while there is actually very little in terms of action, the time flew by and the tension built and built throughout. The messages about the depths people go to in the name of "war" was fantastic and showing how one side might lose a war but there really are no winnners was something not completely original but I thought it was done very well.

Whilst the Woody Harrelson character is a bit thin, I thought he was really great and menacing (I thought when he was cast it could go one of two ways with him).

I was also pleasantly surprised at how funny the film is in places. I won't spoil anything but the comic relief was really effective and had the whole audience I was with laughing out loud.

Overall I was blown away by this and don't have any complaints about the film. It wasn't what I was expecting given the trailers (and this will be an issue for some who want a big explosive summer blockbuster - this ain't that) but it was better than my high expectations had hoped for. I was a big fan of Rise, absolutely loved Dawn and I would argue that this was even better.

10/10

Jericholyte2

I always find the effusive praise for Serkis' performances a bit odd. You can't really tell where his performance ends and the CGI begins.
I must admit it's a grey area because obviously Serkis' performance acts as the base for the mo-cap and this can be tweaked or altered by CGI, but the facial performance is absolutely brilliant. I think it's a situation like CGI in special effects - the original Tron was disqualified for the best SFX Oscar because it used CGI, now all the SFX are down to CGI. I think it's something that will continue to evolve until it's accepted as being a "full and complete" performance.