Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
VHS 2

Probably the most ridiculous horror film I have ever watched. It started off well with a few jumps in the first mini-story but then it just escalated into zombies, aliens and giant monsters. It was a pain to finish and not really worth a watch.

3/10

mata10

Anyon watched edge of tomorrow? I wanna watch it, just want a good opinion.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyon watched edge of tomorrow? I wanna watch it, just want a good opinion.
Yeah saw it last week - really enjoyed it. A refreshing change from your average Comic Book/Smash Bang Wallop Blockbuster. It's well acted fun, has an entertaning premise, and is actually quite funny.

Cantonarightboot

VHS 2

Probably the most ridiculous horror film I have ever watched. It started off well with a few jumps in the first mini-story but then it just escalated into zombies, aliens and giant monsters. It was a pain to finish and not really worth a watch.

3/10

I've heard VHS 1 is meant to be great, seen the trailer! It looks absolutely mental. I've sat through some pretty violent movies in my time but VHS looks pretty out there... Have you seen VHS 1? Any feedback if you have?

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
I've heard VHS 1 is meant to be great, seen the trailer! It looks absolutely mental. I've sat through some pretty violent movies in my time but VHS looks pretty out there... Have you seen VHS 1? Any feedback if you have?
Haven't seen VHS 1, only watched this one off a recommendation from a friend. VHS 1 might be alright but this one was awful.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
VH1 wasn't very good. I think there were one or two decent segments but there were far too many duds for the film to be considered decent.

VHS 2

3/10
I quite liked Safe Haven. It was quite tense. Ended a little daft but regardless, it was pretty good for the most part.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
VH1 wasn't very good. I think there were one or two decent segments but there were far too many duds for the film to be considered decent.

I quite liked Safe Haven. It was quite tense. Ended a little daft but regardless, it was pretty good for the most part.
Schwein, I mix them up. Which one was it with the short in the Indonesian sect? I thought that VHS was decent enough.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Schwein, I mix them up. Which one was it with the short in the Indonesian sect? I thought that VHS was decent enough.
It was the Safe Haven segment in VHS2, co-directed by Gareth Evans, the guy who directed The Raid films... I remember you saying a while back that you quite enjoyed that segment?

Rooney in Paris

Scout
It was the Safe Haven segment in VHS2, co-directed by Gareth Evans, the guy who directed The Raid films... I remember you saying a while back that you quite enjoyed that segment?
Yeah I loved it, thought it was really good with some absolute 'what the feck' moments towards the end. I actually liked VHS2, if I recall correctly there were less segments than in VHS1, I remember enjoying 2 of them mildly (the eyeball camera thing and the zombie GoPro one), loving the Safe Haven one and disliking the alien one at the end (if I'm not mixing it up with VHS1). Also, the story around the found footage was a bit shite, but it was peripheral so not too annoying.

mata10

Yeah saw it last week - really enjoyed it. A refreshing change from your average Comic Book/Smash Bang Wallop Blockbuster. It's well acted fun, has an entertaning premise, and is actually quite funny.
Went before reading your review, i liked it alot. Acting was quite decent, some scenes were real funny. I do like the concept but i think there was more to be made of the movie, it was subtly very good, but i felt something was not there. Also blunt during that yoga scene looked so kaint!

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I just finally got a chance to see The Grand Budapest Hotel. Huge Wes Anderson fan, but unfortunately I wasn't able to catch this one on the big screen.

What a movie it was. The cinematography, the scenery, the story, the dialogue, it finally all came together again after I've been ever so slightly disappointed by Darjeeling and Moonrise in comparison. It's hard to explain, but watching an Anderson movie to me is less like watching other movies and more comparable to listening to music. It's not so much about what happens and how it happens, but about the entire experience that he puts together, and while I normally hate to watch movies more than once, I can watch his works over and over again without tiring of them.

Like I said, it's difficult to explain. I haven't really come across any other movie-makers (or auteurs?) that are able to convey that same sense. Anyways, I think it may be his best one yet, but it's impossible to compare with Rushmore and Tenenbaums because of the nostalgia attached to those two. I'll let you know in about five to ten years what the verdict is.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I happened across All The President's Men last night on telly so pulled out my DVD and watched it again. Overall I think it's dated quite badly and I'd think that modern audiences would struggle with the details of the story since the names of the conspirators are just not well known anymore.

I still enjoyed the director tricks contrasting light of the newsroom with the darkness of the city and the seemingly small figures of the reporters and the oppressiveness of the Government buildings looming over them. Good skill from Pakula in building tension and making the grind of reporting seem exciting, and the scenes in the newsroom are the best in the film. Jason Robards is excellent and the two leads work really well together. Great score too.

Sadly only Watergate enthusiasts like me will still really enjoy this one.

Loon

:lol:
Was hugely disappointed with the section co-directed by Evans. Over-long and rambling. The only successful one in VHS2 for me was the bike ride one -- but it was bloody Zombies again.

Loon

I happened across All The President's Men last night on telly so pulled out my DVD and watched it again. Overall I think it's dated quite badly and I'd think that modern audiences would struggle with the details of the story since the names of the conspirators are just not well known anymore.

I still enjoyed the director tricks contrasting light of the newsroom with the darkness of the city and the seemingly small figures of the reporters and the oppressiveness of the Government buildings looming over them. Good skill from Pakula in building tension and making the grind of reporting seem exciting, and the scenes in the newsroom are the best in the film. Jason Robards is excellent and the two leads work really well together. Great score too.

I think it still works as a conspiracy thriller even if time has passed. It's not as showy as JFK, but the story is intriguing even if you are not aware of the real-life individuals. The late Gordon Willis shoots the film superbly and I agree Robards is fantastic. I also love Martin Balsam's turn.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The trouble with Watergate is that it's quite a complicated scandal because of the scope of it. At the time of the film these were household names but now I reckon most would just about know who Nixon was.

pauldyson1uk

The trouble with Watergate is that it's quite a complicated scandal because of the scope of it. At the time of the film these were household names but now I reckon most would just about know who Nixon was.
Richard Nixon is pretty infamous figure in US history, most if not all Americans will or should know know who he is.
Anybody else I think it would be down to age if you know him or not.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Joking aside he does have a point. When Nixon was found out publically it was the beginning of the end for our (and American's in particular) hero worship of politicians and the view that they were selfless and acted in the interests of the nation no matter what. We now very cynical about politicians and authority figures in general but Nixon's behavior was truly shocking to middle America. It was big enough news in the UK that I remember TV news items about it from when I was 9 and I don't think I remember much else news wise from around then.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The film suffers from being based on reality so it sort of fades out at the end as the journalists role reduced once Nixon was in trouble.

Rooney in Paris

Scout

Don't really agree with this, I saw it quite late (a couple of years ago I guess) and I loved it, despite not being particularly interested in that episode of US history. A real classic for me.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Batman 1943, rolls on, this week, egregious butler abuse:

Alfred is punched in the face twice, tries to get help on the telephone ("I'M BEING MURDERED HERE!" he cries) and eventually gets rid of the gangsters, who Batman and Robin are just aimlessly punching at, by picking up one of their guns and shooting randomly, until they run away. Why isn't this serial about Alfred? He's much better at the job than Batman and Robin and all they do is make fun of him for it! The poor fecker is having a panic attack, screaming "HOW MANY DID I KILL??" and they start fecking with him.
"Seven."

"Seven? But there were only 4 of them!"

"Yeah you killed 3 of them twice."

"But where are all the bodies?"

"We threw them out the window!"

You're Batman and Robin, not Abbott and Costello, knock it off.
http://mistercinecal.blogspot.ie/2014/06/mister-cinecal-reviews-batman-1943.html

Sally Cinnamon

Cape Fear (1991)

Alright film. De Niro was pretty good at playing Sideshow Bob. Too many ridiculous things happened. 5/10

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Without meaning to I've been on a bit of a Spanish-language film binge recently.

Mientras Duermes - a very different kind of horror/thriller with few scares but a very creepy atmosphere that will sit with you long after the film's over. It's a film about obsession and depression with a great lead performance. Highly recommended.

Los Cronocrimenes - I wasn't blown away but it's definitely one of the best Sci-fi films I've seen.

Los Secretos de sus Ojos -
best of the lot. Really excellent crime/thriller film.

Anyone have any suggestions for Spanish-speaking films? I'm not a big fan of Almodovar.

Loon

Without meaning to I've been on a bit of a Spanish-language film binge recently.

Mientras Duermes - a very different kind of horror/thriller with few scares but a very creepy atmosphere that will sit with you long after the film's over. It's a film about obsession and depression with a great lead performance. Highly recommended.

Los Cronocrimenes - I wasn't blown away but it's definitely one of the best Sci-fi films I've seen.

Los Secretos de sus Ojos -
best of the lot. Really excellent crime/thriller film.

Anyone have any suggestions for Spanish-speaking films? I'm not a big fan of Almodovar.
El Metodo
Spirit of the Beehive (El Espiritu de la Colmena)
Day of the Beast (El Dia de la Bestia)
Cell 211 (Celda 211 - also starring Sleep Tight's Luis Tosar)
El Lobo
Tesis

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Rob The Mob Marketed as a comedy drama. Not funny enough to be a comedy, not dramatic or serious enough to be a drama. Didn't have a fecking clue what it wanted to be TBH. Not quite as shit as it sounds but still pretty rubbish. Give it a miss would be my advice.4/10

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Rob The Mob Marketed as a comedy drama. Not funny enough to be a comedy, not dramatic or serious enough to be a drama. Didn't have a fecking clue what it wanted to be TBH. Not quite as shit as it sounds but still pretty rubbish. Give it a miss would be my advice.4/10
...wut?

Last edited by a moderator: