Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Jev

Children of men
Cast: Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Michael Caine, Chiwetel Ejiofor

Setting: In the future women are no longer able to conceive and the world is essentially post apocalyptic bar London.

Plot: A former activists agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a group of people who are out at sea.

Man, I can't believe I hadn't seen this movie before. I thought it was really good and definitely worth a watch if you're looking for something on Netflix.

I know it's not that best source for ratings but IMDB gives it a 7.9, and I have agree. It's a solid 8/10 movie IMO.
Rewatched it recently and was shocked by how good it is. One of the best movies of the 21st century in my opinion, from story to acting to themes to mood to cinematography. It's a 10/10 masterpiece for me.

Last edited:

Jev

A star is born
I maybe loved it a little bit less than I had hoped because my expectations had been inflated by the reviews. But it's still a poignant, well-directed movie carried by two top performances from Cooper and Lady Gaga. I thought the first half where the two main characters meet was stronger than the latter. Some of the supporting roles faded a bit towards the end and there were some plot developments that felt a bit forced.
8/10

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Such a blast this film. The energy, the humour, the self-irony and the brilliant comic book aesthetics made it an incredibly fun ride. I'm a bit conflicted about some characters that were introduced late on who didn't quite fit into the universe (which was, admittedly, kind of the point) and a few clichés crept in during the climax. But it was truly a breath of fresh air into the genre and gave 'Avengers: Infinity War' and 'The Incredibles 2' a real battle for the title of best superhero movie of the year.
8.5/10

hungrywing

Bird Box was probably commissioned when two executives were railing cocaine in a hollywood nightclub and one of them said "what if we like make A Quiet Place but with a different sense" and the other said "holy shit dude, what if you die when you look at them"
Actually it was adapted from a pretty famous book. Agree regarding the quality of the end product though.

Sweet Square

Rewatched it recently and was shocked by how good it is. One of the best movies of the 21st century in my opinion, from story to acting to themes to mood to cinematography. It's a 10/10 masterpiece for me.
Yep for me it's so far the best ''sci fi'' movie of the 21st century.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I stewed over it last night and I think I need to bump up my grading top 9.5. The story really stayed with me.

Everything about it was great, the story, the competing agendas, the acting, the setting, etc.

Tarrou

gonna rewatch Children of Men then, didn't think it was that great the first time I saw it

Nialler

Alex's Dad
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4131496/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Keepers [also known as The Vanishing] 2018. Set on a lighthouse island about the size of a football pitch and based on a true story about how the three lighthouse keepers 'vanished' from the island. Gerard Butler gives arguably his best performance in years and is ably assisted by a top-notch supporting cast including the brilliant Peter Mullan. This is a fictional theory of what happened to the three 'keepers', begins slowly but the tension gradually accelerates into an excellent storyline that reminded me somewhat of the classic 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre'. A very solid 7.5/10

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My housemate was watching The Breakfast Club in the sitting room and I was reminded of just how much I hate that film. It's actually painful to watch.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I just tried to watch La La Land and remembered how much I hate musicals. It has to be the worst film genre by quite some distance.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
My housemate was watching The Breakfast Club in the sitting room and I was reminded of just how much I hate that film. It's actually painful to watch.
It could be worse. The actors could be singing their lines through the entire film.

Oldyella

Same here. Brilliant movie. Aged ok too, holds up incredibly well.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Alfonso Cuarón's Downton Abbey - I would rather just have watched the opening shot with the puddle for 135 minutes, it was much more invigorating than the subsequent anemic, flavourless robot filmmaking.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Green Book Enjoyed it. The acting was great and the story was fun if rather predictable (although allegedly true). I've seen some criticism of this being too much of a black bloke getting saved by a dumb white bloke and/or that it wasn't really representative of racism from most black people's perspective but I enjoyed it. 7/10

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It was decent but I've never heard anyone calling it a masterpiece before. Then again Shawshank Redemption is loved so what do I know?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Favorite Great historical source material, great settings, fantastic cast with some great lines but this director just doesn't know how to tell a story although this is better than The Lobster or that Killing of a Sacred Deer nonsense. Shame as bits of it were fun. 5/10

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
One of the most overrated movies of all time. Was incredibly disappointed when I finally had the chance to watch it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
One of the most overrated movies of all time. Was incredibly disappointed when I finally had the chance to watch it.
"Overrated" is a kind description, it's an actively bad film. The acting is terrible, the characters aren't even vaguely believable as human beings let alone teenagers, the way they behave over the course of the film makes zero sense, they individually and collectively manage to be immensely irritating & dislikeable, the film seems confused as to what its own message is and the way it treats its female characters is dodgy as feck. Oh and then there's that dance sequence. Poor film that has dated horrendously. Bah.

Jev

It was decent but I've never heard anyone calling it a masterpiece before. Then again Shawshank Redemption is loved so what do I know?
It's one of the most acclaimed films of the century and have been included by several reputable outlets and critics on ''best of the century" lists.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's one of the most acclaimed films of the century and have been included by several reputable outlets and critics on ''best of the century" lists.
It is still nothing more than a harmless popcorn movie with a feel good end.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It is still nothing more than a harmless popcorn movie with a feel good end.
A feel good end? I'm not sure that constitutes feel good end. Maybe a hopeful ending but certainly not one that makes you think everything is going to be ok.

The entire film is incredibly bleak and beautifully shot. And the single-shot scenes in the film were basically unprecedented at the time. Sure, the plot was simple but I think it's one of those films that's more than the sum of its parts. Definitely one of the 21st centuries best films, for me.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When you compare it to sci-fi stuff that people go wild for these days (Annihilation / Arrival spring to mind), it absolutely blows them out of the water.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A feel good end? I'm not sure that constitutes feel good end. Maybe a hopeful ending but certainly not one that makes you think everything is going to be ok.

The entire film is incredibly bleak and beautifully shot. And the single-shot scenes in the film were basically unprecedented at the time. Sure, the plot was simple but I think it's one of those films that's more than the sum of its parts. Definitely one of the 21st centuries best films, for me.
I didn't hate it, although the short story it was adapted from was better, but I don't get the adulation at all.

Jev

When you compare it to sci-fi stuff that people go wild for these days (Annihilation / Arrival spring to mind), it absolutely blows them out of the water.
I really like both the movies you mention but I agree that Children of Men is possibly the best sci-fi film of the century.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I really like both the movies you mention but I agree that Children of Men is possibly the best sci-fi film of the century.
Sci-fi? Am I thinking of the wrong film? Dytopian future film set in Britain?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It seems that one person's discussing Shawshank; the other, Children.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I've been in the mood for rewatching stuff lately. Two films I decided to give another chance was Black Narcissus & The Red Shoes. When I watched them a few years ago I remember dismissing them as garish and hysterical but watching them now with supreme quality on a big TV screen I just couldn't get over how good they looked. The eroticism of Black Narcissus is a little antiquated but it makes up for it a-plenty with it's stunning visuals, pretty much every post-Kathleen Bryon breakdown scene had me shook. Just delightful, feverish and melodramatic dancing on the grave of the British Empire.

The literal dancing in the subsequent The Red Shoes was great and it had the same great sense of open spaces. Probably an overall more accomplished work than Narcissus. You could tell that Moira Shearer wasn't a professional actress but there was just something transfixing about her vacant blue eyes.

Two films rightfully deserving their statuses as masterpieces of British cinema.

And then two I haven't seen since I was a kid:

Robocop had a lot of stuff going on for it, from deflty unsubtle satire to a Ray Harryhausen-esque robot being foiled by a flight of stairs. I'll never look at the dad off The 70's Show in the same way again.

Aliens was a cheesier and duller sequel to a film I was never really that crazy about, but at least that one had some fine sense of dread, horror and aesthetics. I kept cringing at some of the dialogue and checking how much of the running length was left.

Last edited:

Tarrou

Act of Violence hilariously bad plot and acting, to the point where I'd actually recommend watching it

At one point I was actually wondering if it was a really great parody, but nah its just shit

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I've been in the mood for rewatching stuff lately. Two films I decided to give another chance was Black Narcissus & The Red Shoes. When I watched them a few years ago I remember dismissing them as garish and hysterical but watching them now with supreme quality on a big TV screen I just couldn't get over how good they looked. The eroticism of Black Narcissus is a little antiquated but it makes up for it a-plenty with it's stunning visuals, pretty much every post-Kathleen Bryon breakdown scene had me shook. Just delightful, feverish and melodramatic dancing on the grave of the British Empire.

The literal dancing in the subsequent The Red Shoes was great and it had the same great sense of open spaces. Probably an overall more accomplished work than Narcissus. You could tell that Moira Shearer wasn't a professional actress but there was just something transfixing about her vacant blue eyes.

Two films rightfully deserving their statuses as masterpieces of British cinema.

And then two I haven't seen since I was a kid:

Robocop had a lot of stuff going on for it, from deflty unsubtle satire to a Ray Harryhausen-esque robot being foiled by a flight of stairs. I'll never look at the dad off The 70's Show in the same way again.

Aliens was a cheesier and duller sequel to a film I was never really that crazy about, but at least that one had some fine sense of dread, horror and aesthetics. I kept cringing at some of the dialogue and checking how much of the running length was left.
The Sisterhood seems made for the big screen (visual and thematic dynamite) and BN is up with the best. The Red Shoes dance is one of my all time favourite moments in film. Hoffman is worth a go if you haven't seen it. It goes on a bit and gets a little stuffy but Shearer makes an interesting Olympia and the design is grand. I can't fault The Archers, Blimp surprised me by how darkly odd it is and A Matter of Life and Death seems like it shouldn't work but does. I think their prestigious style could be seen as a little ostentatious, if it wasn't grounded by such superb writing. You've convinced me to go back and watch Black Narcissus.

And the only films to be recognised in the Alien series are Alien and Alien Covenant. And everyone else is wrong. You've convinced me to go back and watch Alien Covenant.

Notorious

Could only manage about 5 minutes of it. Just not for me.
I hate musicals as well but I thought La La Land was alright more for the dialogue scenes, the good acting and chemistry between the leads and the perfect ending.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Iron Sky

Was bored and picked this simply for being a sci-fi.

Nazi's build a base in dark side of the moon. They capture a Black astronaut from America and "cure" him by injecting a albino serum and turn him into a blue eyed Aryan. The astronaut then finds a de-albino serum and converts himself to being a black man again. :lol: And hooks up with a True Aryan teacher who believes Nazis come in peace before finding enlightenment. Nazi's invade, world retalites and wins, then finds power source on moon and all countries nuke each other out. Apocalypse.

Some good graphics in a otherwise ridiculous movie that's too bad even to be called a spoof.

2/10.