Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Interesting that on rotten tomatoes it has an audience score of 95%.
What’s up with that?
(80%, average score of 7.3)

But I guess the world of film criticism is predominantly populated by the kind of well-meaning white liberals this film attempts to appease?

meamth

Interesting that on rotten tomatoes it has an audience score of 95%.
What’s up with that?
Always check the average rating when you're looking at rotten tomatoes.

The average rating is the scale of how good the movie. Is it a masterpiece or not.

The tomato score is for determining whether the movie is a good watch or waste of time.

Shinjch

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody over the weekend and thought it was really bad. Comically so at times. So contrived and was so clear that May and Taylor had signed off everything. A laugh out loud moment was when Mercury told May to put more rock and roll into his guitar solo to which May eagerly replied, "you know I can do that Fred". Previous scene he was scared of Taylor chucking around some food and breaking a coffee machine. Screamed straight to tv film throughout.

Also watched Can You Ever Forgive Me, which was much better. Characters to care about that provoke emotions and a nice story to go with it. Probably the best of the ones that I have seen so far this award season.

meamth

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody over the weekend and thought it was really bad. Comically so at times. So contrived and was so clear that May and Taylor had signed off everything. A laugh out loud moment was when Mercury told May to put more rock and roll into his guitar solo to which May eagerly replied, "you know I can do that Fred". Previous scene he was scared of Taylor chucking around some food and breaking a coffee machine. Screamed straight to tv film throughout.

Also watched Can You Ever Forgive Me, which was much better. Characters to care about that provoke emotions and a nice story to go with it. Probably the best of the ones that I have seen so far this award season.
I think at this point we already know what is the main aim of that movie.

To make Freddie/Queen as a pop culture icon for the next century. To make them relevant again.

It's not a masterpiece we all hoped for, but a great starting point for young children to grow up knowing queen.

Shinjch

If it's a piece of marketing or an ad, I still don't think it was a good one. Not one of the characters came off as cool. As a film, it was worse than as an advertisement obviously.

Tarrou

I saw Burning on the weekend. It's a remarkable film and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. It's long and slow moving af and won't be everyones cup of tea because of that, but I loved it.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
I saw Burning on the weekend. It's a remarkable film and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. It's long and slow moving af and won't be everyones cup of tea because of that, but I loved it.
Hoping this gets a wider release. If not, Blu-ray it is.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah, 2 weeks on and it's still stuck in my mind. That dancing/jazz scene oh boy.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Alita - Well this sucked. Absolute mess, awful pacing, no explanation of anything going on or how things work(there is a sport that plays a decent role in the film and they never bother mention how you win or score a point). There are a few actors in it who you'd expect much better from but really phone it in, probably because they realise the movie is complete pants. Some of the set design did remind of like a late 80s/early 90s action film starring Schwarzenegger or Stallone, and how I'd much rather be watching one of those. At least those films were fun whereas this was just joyless.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Makes me laugh that I keep seeing it marketed as a "thriller" :lol:

Notorious

Everest (2015)

This movie takes a long time to get going but there is still a lack of character development. Good performances from Jason Clarke and Josh Brolin and there are a couple of sad moments if you don't know the true story. Everest is worth seeing but nothing special, I'd rather watch a documentary about the events. 6/10

Haunting Sarah (2005)

This one was made for tv and it showed. The Sarah of the title is played by a young actress and her acting is terrible, a big problem considering the film centres around her. In general it was mostly boring and predictable. 3/10

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)

Well it's funny, funny enough but not great. 6/10

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)

I definitely prefer this sequel, Heather Graham is funnier than Liz Hurley's character who was a more serious type. In general I thought it had more proper laugh out loud moments, the shit drinking is a highlight. 7/10

ChrisNelson

Alita - Thought @Mystry was maybe a little harsh in his review, but then movies like anything are of course all about opinions. Saw this yesterday and thought it was decent, some good performances and the special effects of both the scenery and the cyborg characters are great. I saw the trailer for this about 10 times at other films so felt like I had to watch it! Also happy to hear a sequel is in the pipeline, but that's obvious anyway...

Stan & Ollie - Good film, Coogan & Reilly are great in it and gives a really fascinating insight into the later years of Laurel & Hardy's career together. My mum had been to see it and recommended it, and I'm glad she did.

Escape Room - Caught this on release day as I had a couple of days off work so went cinema mad! It's a cross between Saw, Mindhunters and Final Destination. Enjoyed it, does what it says on the tin and keeps you guessing until the end.

The Mule - This is exactly my type of film and I thought although it takes while to get going it's a decent effort and based on a very interesting story which you can barely believe is based on real events. Amazing that Clint can still put in a performance like this close to 90 years old.

mancan92

Alita - Honestly surprised by the review above by Mystry. The imagery, character designs and sets were spectacular and amazing in 3D. Maybe since I am a fan of the original manga so understood the characters and story a bit more but everything seemed weighty and real in this depressing world. Some really good performances and one of the few times they have actually managed to translate a manga story into a westernised movie structure. 8/10

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Seeing Alita and If Beale Street Could Talk this weekend. Not so bothered about Alita but slightly curious, very excited about If Beale Street Could Talk.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It is a thriller, imo. Just made very differently than most thrillers, and with much more to it overall.
I just like the image of people going in expecting some chases, and getting at least three scenes of the guy having his lonely moments in her room.

I'd say it's an absorber, glad I watched it in a cinema.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The Predator (2018)

Yawn. Not even worth licking the boots of the original. Abysmal movie.

1/0

Uncle Drew (2018)

Mindless fun time pass. Sticks with standard feel good script and worth a watch if you have time to kill and nothing better to do.

5/10

Johnny English Strikes Again (2018)

Stellar performance by Rowan Atkinson and Olga Kurylenko is amazing eye candy! Nothing else clicks. Amazingly bad story, script with a entirely forgettable supporting cast.

5/10

House with Clock in its walls (2018)

Standard Jack Black fare. Cate Blanchett rocks. Fun kids movie.

5/10

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Alita: Battle Angel. Horrendous. Style over substance wannabe comic-book trash that lacks the pulp, charm and heart necessary to pull any of its ridiculous concepts and scattered attempts at world-building together. Apparently everything can be a fight scene if you try hard enough, the sequel baiting in the final act is nauseating, and I’ve only refrained from awarding it one star because there’s a vague whiff of anti-capitalist sentiment. Let’s be honest, nobody would go to see this film if Alita didn’t have massive eyes. 3/10.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Always check the average rating when you're looking at rotten tomatoes.

The average rating is the scale of how good the movie. Is it a masterpiece or not.

The tomato score is for determining whether the movie is a good watch or waste of time.
:confused: All I see is the tomatometer score (79%) and the audience score (now 94%).

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
It's just below both percentages. 7.3/10 and 4.4/5 in the case of this flick.

None of the numbers there say nothing about being a masterpiece or not though. :cool:

decorativeed

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn:
Saw this appear on Netflix, and had noticed it last year due to an interesting cast with Jermaine Clement, Aubrey Plaza, Craig Robinson and Matt Berry. It plays like a pastiche of David Lynch and early Coen Brothers, has almost zero plot (something I usually don't mind), no convincing characters, poor dialogue and a soundtrack that's twice as loud as it should be. A mild curiosity with one or two amusing moments, that I wouldn't really recommend. 4/10

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
A New Leaf - Highly enjoyable. Walter Matthau, splendidly bankrupt. Elaine May, adorkable and she wrote/directed a well-judged update of the classic screwball comedy with darker 70's sensibilities. Her original cut was 3 hours long but 102 minutes seemed just about right for me.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Overlord
A small group of American soldiers find horror behind enemy lines on the eve of D-Day. Imagine Saving Private Ryan was a B-Movie but with a massive budget and had monsters thrown in. That's what this is. Amazing. The opening scene is one of the best openers for a film I have seen in years. The film is full of suspense with characters that you care about. The gore was also nuts. Would have easily been in my top 5 of 2018 had I seen it on release 8.5/10

pauldyson1uk

Overlord
A small group of American soldiers find horror behind enemy lines on the eve of D-Day. Imagine Saving Private Ryan was a B-Movie but with a massive budget and had monsters thrown in. That's what this is. Amazing. The opening scene is one of the best openers for a film I have seen in years. The film is full of suspense with characters that you care about. The gore was also nuts. Would have easily been in my top 5 of 2018 had I seen it on release 8.5/10
I have this just not watched it, after your review straight to the top of my to watch list.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
If Beale Street Could Talk. This is tender, careful, and solemn. Hope is completely absent. You realise when the credits roll that you’ve ached with increasing intensity as the film has worn on - it’s dominated by a heavy sense of futility and foreboding, and Barry Jenkins really takes his time with how he brings you into the lives of these people. Difficult but essential. 9

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Overlord (2018)

Produced by JJ Abrams Bad Robot productions, so gave this a whirl.

A bunch of allied troops parachute into France to destroy a radio transmitter on eve of D-Day only to find Nazi lab reviving dead and making them zombie super soldiers.

Movie stylistically is a mishmash of various other popular movies, the bloody war scenes like Saving Private Ryan, the anti-Nazi hero like Inglorious Bastards, some torture scenes resembling Reservoir Dogs etc. What starts off as war movie turns into abundance of blood and gore towards the end.

Watch if you don't have anything better. 6/10

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Overlord (2018)

Produced by JJ Abrams Bad Robot productions, so gave this a whirl.

A bunch of allied troops parachute into France to destroy a radio transmitter on eve of D-Day only to find Nazi lab reviving dead and making them zombie super soldiers.

Movie stylistically is a mishmash of various other popular movies, the bloody war scenes like Saving Private Ryan, the anti-Nazi hero like Inglorious Bastards, some torture scenes resembling Reservoir Dogs etc. What starts off as war movie turns into abundance of blood and gore towards the end.

Watch if you don't have anything better. 6/10
Started watching this last night. The opening scenes were pretty good. In the theater it'd be way better.
Aside: I know it's nothing, but to have an African American soldier in the plane with all those white folks was throwing me off. The US military was segregated back then.... so how important to the story is he?

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Started watching this last night. The opening scenes were pretty good. In the theater it'd be way better.
Aside: I know it's nothing, but to have an African American soldier in the plane with all those white folks was throwing me off. The US military was segregated back then.... so how important to the story is he?
Pretty much the main character. Just watch the movie for it's entertainment value.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I figured as much. Ta!
It's not like I'm all about whether it's true to life, bearing in mind the story line, just thought it odd. ;)

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Alita - Honestly surprised by the review above by Mystry. The imagery, character designs and sets were spectacular and amazing in 3D. Maybe since I am a fan of the original manga so understood the characters and story a bit more but everything seemed weighty and real in this depressing world. Some really good performances and one of the few times they have actually managed to translate a manga story into a westernised movie structure. 8/10
Agreed. Not perfect, but really enjoyed it. A good 7/10 and must see in 3D if possible.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Prisoners (2013)

Another brilliant film from Denis Villeneuve. Gosh, this really was emotionally powerful, and the acting was fecking brilliant.

10/10