Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer a couple of days ago. Not what I expected at all, but great little film with lots of depth and great performances all around. Is The Lobster worth watching too, for those who have seen it?

Yesterday, I watched Biosphere, which was an enjoyable buddy movie with Mark Duplass and Sterling K Brown. They have great chemistry on screen and the premise and execution is just wacky and weird enough to make it a fun ride, with some really uncomfortable moments. For those that had enjoyed Safety not guaranteed, this has the same kind of indie, smallish vibe that is all too rare in current film production.

caid

I watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer a couple of days ago. Not what I expected at all, but great little film with lots of depth and great performances all around. Is The Lobster worth watching too, for those who have seen it?

Yesterday, I watched Biosphere, which was an enjoyable buddy movie with Mark Duplass and Sterling K Brown. They have great chemistry on screen and the premise and execution is just wacky and weird enough to make it a fun ride, with some really uncomfortable moments. For those that had enjoyed Safety not guaranteed, this has the same kind of indie, smallish vibe that is all too rare in current film production.
I loved the lobster. Its a great movie.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Whale
Decent little emotional flick anchored by an outstanding Brendan Fraser performance. Its origins as a play are too overt at times and pull you out of the movie, but it's a minor complaint. 8/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Loved the scene when Colin and the teenage boy are talking and you can see Colin's brain turning :lol:

Lobster is really good. Wasn't the biggest fan of the final act but still very good.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Indians Jones and Dial of Destiny Much better than the Crystal Skull. Barring the anonymous youthful sidekick it worked really well as an Indy film. The time travel thing isn't totally convincing but not terrible. A nice end to the series. 7/10

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I saw American Made yesterday, and that was kind of a fun romp. It's a sort of adventurous smuggler fantasy based on a real guy's life, but heavily adventurized, romanticized, and dramatized. Tom Cruise is the main guy and actually pretty good in it. Pretty silly overall and pretty fun. 3/5
The Lost City, (2022), with Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe, and Brad Pitt.
Listen, it's really fecking hard to agree on a movie to watch around here. It came down to, "You like Sandra Bullock, don't you?" and I caved. So here we are. This movie, in another life, was called Romancing The Stone. I'm not sure if this is an unofficial remake, a blatant rip, or a reboot. It's a rom-com/adventure film.

The plot, as it exists, is a writer of cheesy bodice-rippers (Bullock) and the male model cover star of her books (Tatum) are thrown into an adventure to find a lost city. Bullock is a successful but schlocky writer who at one point was a world-class CF archaeologist, and the only person in the world who can decipher this lost civilization's writings. She is approached by a toff played by Daniel Radcliffe, who has obtained a fragment of text that shows the location of some tomb. Bullock is kidnapped
by Radcliffe
, and Tatum enlists ex-Navy SEAL Brad Pitt go to rescue her, and tags along.

From there, you can pretty much fill in the blanks. It was so generic, or "breezy", and thinly plotted, and low-stakes, that it felt almost like a TV episode of some long-running show on ABC. It didn't have any real set pieces, serviceable VFX but nothing spectacular, Tatum's ass was all the nudity you got, and generic music. Generic all 'round. What was weird was how safe and bland it all felt, practically cartoony. Radcliffe is a terrible actor in everything I've ever seen him in, and this is no exception. His voice breaks at the drop of a hat. Bullock + Tatum have decent chemistry, but it felt like a part anyone could play. It was the hospital food of movies. I made it to the bitter end, to the "bonus" scene in the credits, while the missus slept soundly through it, so joke's on me.

Hard to rate something like this, because my expectations were not the movie makers' expectations. It was not funny, not sexy, not thrilling, had precious little eye candy, and almost zero jeopardy. For what it was trying to do, probably an 7/10, for what I wanted it to do, 5/10. It was fecking boring, and I do like Sandra Bullock!

I saw it today. I figured it wasn't for me, but my wife liked the trailer so we figured we could 'risk' it. She actually did like it: lots of good jokes. I just couldn't find any of it funny or interesting. 2/5

Still better than Falling for Christmas though, a recent Netflix movie that was apparently Lindsay Lohan's comeback. I have to admit I don't really know her (I recognized the name and that's all), so that didn't mean anything to me. One way or another everything was crap about this one. The story is irritating, there's is absolutely zero chemistry between the leads (in a romcom!), nothing's funny, and most of the acting is terrible. Speaking of bad movie night choices! (But at least this time we agreed.) 1/5

Wing Attack Plan R

I saw American Made yesterday, and that was kind of a fun romp. It's a sort of adventurous smuggler fantasy based on a real guy's life, but heavily adventurized, romanticized, and dramatized. Tom Cruise is the main guy and actually pretty good in it. Pretty silly overall and pretty fun. 3/5

I saw it today. I figured it wasn't for me, but my wife liked the trailer so we figured we could 'risk' it. She actually did like it: lots of good jokes. I just couldn't find any of it funny or interesting. 2/5

Still better than Falling for Christmas though, a recent Netflix movie that was apparently Lindsay Lohan's comeback. I have to admit I don't really know her (I recognized the name and that's all), so that didn't mean anything to me. One way or another everything was crap about this one. The story is irritating, there's is absolutely zero chemistry between the leads (in a romcom!), nothing's funny, and most of the acting is terrible. Speaking of bad movie night choices! (But at least this time we agreed.) 1/5
I did my best to warn you! My wife liked it too, but fell asleep halfway through it. Turns out, hers was the right decision.

Wing Attack Plan R

Asteroid City 7/10

Not the biggest Wes Anderson fan. His movies feel a bit gimmicky to me, but quite enjoyed this one. The revolving door of characters really made it feel like a play unfolding at break neck speed.

Reminded me of Birdman actually, which is a bit weird cause tonally and stylistically they couldn't be any more different.
Watched Asteroid City tonight. I’m not even sure what the feck this is/was. Previous to this I’d say Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors, but this movie made me realize how much he’s been resting on past laurels. It seems his movies are more about being part of a film crew these days than they are about having a unique self-contained story. It’s also a retirement scheme because he expands his troupe with every movie.

The problem Anderson has lately is his movies don’t have a protagonist, they have a series of interlocking vignettes. You can’t root for anyone because no one is important. His movies these days are more about set design and composition. That said, Jason Schwartzman was really good.

I think the fatal flaw of his recent movies is the whimsy pushes the heart and emotion out of the frame. The Darjeeling Limited dealt with grief and family power dynamics and was moving and beautiful. Since then he’s gone further into artifice.

I don’t know anymore/10.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Mask Girl (Netflix)

A 7 episode Mini series based on Web Toon, which I say is pretty good, story wise explaining things from multiple viewpoints of the people involved. The drama was very good and gripping but truth be told I don't know what's this when I decided to binge it and it's pretty depressing as a movie. Wouldn't want to write too much due to possible spoilers since it's a delicate movie

7/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I watched the Lobster last night and didn't like it as much as Killing of a Sacred Deer. The first hour was quite captivating and fun, but then it just kind of meandered without really knowing where to go (I felt). Interesting film but slightly disappointed overall.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I did my best to warn you! My wife liked it too, but fell asleep halfway through it. Turns out, hers was the right decision.
I know! But I didn't want to shoot down all of my wife's ideas when I didn't have anything better myself. (We wanted to watch something light.) It's unfair your wife fell asleep halfway through it - leaving you with that mess!
Watched Asteroid City tonight. I’m not even sure what the feck this is/was. Previous to this I’d say Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors, but this movie made me realize how much he’s been resting on past laurels. It seems his movies are more about being part of a film crew these days than they are about having a unique self-contained story. It’s also a retirement scheme because he expands his troupe with every movie.

The problem Anderson has lately is his movies don’t have a protagonist, they have a series of interlocking vignettes. You can’t root for anyone because no one is important. His movies these days are more about set design and composition. That said, Jason Schwartzman was really good.

I think the fatal flaw of his recent movies is the whimsy pushes the heart and emotion out of the frame. The Darjeeling Limited dealt with grief and family power dynamics and was moving and beautiful. Since then he’s gone further into artifice.

I don’t know anymore/10.
Funnily, I am not a huge fan of Anderson's everything-whimsical approach, and it's completely hit or miss for me from one movie to another - but somehow, I really liked this one!

Old Ma Crow

Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny

The fourth best in the series, with enjoyable references to previous films without overdoing it. Ford, Mikkelsen and the supporting cast were good. It didn't feel too diluted or rushed and the ending worked, but still left me wanting more from this series somehow.

Better than I expected, especially after the 4th film.

7/10

Wing Attack Plan R

Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors, but I didn't like The French Dispatch.

Fav 3: The Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom and The Royal Tenenbaums.
Did you see Asteroid City, and if so, where do you rank it?

Same on the bolded bit.

Fav 3:
Life Aquatic, Rushmore, Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Then Grand Budapest Hotel, The Darjeeling Limited, Royal Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom, Bottle Rocket, Isle of Dogs, French Dispatch.
It looks to me like he’s falling further into his own psychoses with each passing film.
Then Grand Budapest Hotel, The Darjeeling Limited, Royal Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom, Bottle Rocket, Isle of Dogs, French Dispatch. It looks to me like he’s falling further into his own psychoses with each passing film.
Asteroid City doesn’t make top 5.

The Life Aquatic
Rushmore
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Darjeeling Limited
Moonrise Kingdom
Royal Tenenbaums
The French Dispatch
Asteroid City
Bottle Rocket
Isle of Dogs

I reordered my list. Parts of French Dispatch were great but it was exhausting. Few parts in Asteroid City qualify as great. This movie started feeling less like a Wes Anderson movie and more like a Christopher Guest mock-umentary. Everyone plays such a cartoony version of a character, very few resemble people in the real world. Sometimes it works, I thought Schwartzman and Johansson played well together, but the cowboys and precocious kids and Matt Dillon and Tom Hanks and Bryan Cranston and Ed Norton can all get fecked.

A lot of weird useless cameos, like Jeff Goldblum. Tom Hanks should have been nowhere near this film, same as Bruce Willis in Moonrise Kingdom. Sometimes the stunt castings works against the film. Everyone played their roles like they were on Adderol in Asteroid City, with few people providing the loopy charm the Wilson brothers brought to his movies. I need more Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, and Benicio del Toro, and much less Adrian Brody, Ed Norton, Timothee Chalamet, Francis McDormand, Liev Schreiber, Steve Carell, Jeffrey Wright, Bryan Cranston. Half the people in Asteroid City didn’t need to be in the film at all.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Cobweb
A boy hears things in his wall and starts to believe their is something dangerous behind there. Was really excited for this and the first two thirds were pretty good. The final act completely shits the bed though. The acting and atmosphere were great but the narrative was flakey and waaaay too many inconsistencies that bog the whole film down. Think this was a case of a good director getting the most out of a poor script 6/10

0le

Ghostbusters Afterlife - 6/10

The premise of the story is good and generally I thought it was well executed albeit perhaps 15 or so minutes too long.

The end scene was very good. The idea to not have Egon Spengler speak worked very well indeed.

The film has the feel of a Goosebumps or Super 8. A group of kids fighting some evil and taking it down. Some good nostalgia but an average film.

Lawrence of Arabia - 9/10

This was the first time I've seen the film. A wonderful film. Peter O'Toole is captivating in the role. All the scenes are carefully shot and despite its year of release you still feel totally immersed in the film. The film is very long but the story feels carefully laid out and not rushed or long winded in the most part.

Strays - 7/10

A surprisingly good film about a dog out to get revenge on its owner. The comedy obviously has a lot of sexual humour references and one too many in my view. But I found myself laughing on several occasions and the drama definitely struck a chord at some points.

Sound of Freedom - 7/10

Very similar to Spotlight. I really liked the acting but maybe some scenes with Jim Caviezel were just overacted in terms of the tears.

They focused a bit too much on Caviezel's character rather than the children's story and I think that let it down.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

The premise of the story is good and generally I thought it was well executed albeit perhaps 15 or so minutes too long.

The end scene was very good. The idea to not have Egon Spengler speak worked very well indeed.

The film has the feel of a Goosebumps or Super 8. A group of kids fighting some evil and taking it down. Some good nostalgia but an average film.

This was the first time I've seen the film. A wonderful film. Peter O'Toole is captivating in the role. All the scenes are carefully shot and despite its year of release you still feel totally immersed in the film. The film is very long but the story feels carefully laid out and not rushed or long winded in the most part.

Strays - 7/10

A surprisingly good film about a dog out to get revenge on its owner. The comedy obviously has a lot of sexual humour references and one too many in my view. But I found myself laughing on several occasions and the drama definitely struck a chord at some points.

Sound of Freedom - 7/10

Very similar to Spotlight. I really liked the acting but maybe some scenes with Jim Caviezel were just overacted in terms of the tears.

They focused a bit too much on Caviezel's character rather than the children's story and I think that let it down.
Very similar to Spotlight yet a very loose depiction of the protagonist's story?

Wing Attack Plan R

Strays - 7/10

Sound of Freedom - 7/10

Lawrence of Arabia and Sound of Freedom get the same score???? Lawrence of motherfecking Arabia!!!!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Indians Jones and Dial of Destiny Much better than the Crystal Skull. Barring the anonymous youthful sidekick it worked really well as an Indy film. The time travel thing isn't totally convincing but not terrible. A nice end to the series. 7/10
Agreed. I liked the ending (well, the end spectacle). Total sci-fi yet still in keeping with the Indy feel. Got a bit repetitive as a whole, but held itself up well. 3/5
Lawrence of Arabia and Sound of Freedom get the same score???? Lawrence of motherfecking Arabia!!!!
Isn't it 9/10 and 7/10...?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Antrum
The overarching story is that of a mockumentary claiming to show us a film that only has one copy and been banned (until this mockumentary was made) about a film that leads to the death of those who watch it. The film within the film is of two siblings that attempt to dig a hole to travel to hell in an attempt to rescue the soul of their deceased dog.

I loved the premise and appreciate that it swung for the fences with a minimal budget but as a film, it wasn't great. Poor character development, poor technical filmmaking and as most things happen off screen, the film just feels repetitive and boring despite a few good moments 4/10

Drawfull

FCK 2020 - Two and a Half Years with Scooter

If you're a fan (of the band, or harder EDM in general) this is great. I'm amazed at apparently how much money/fame they made (based on HP's house in the ducumovie and clout shown). It's subtitled throughout. It isn't all about 2020 and Covid. It starts at the beginning of the band and goes through (briefly) their ups and downs so it's more of a general Biog than a snapshot. All in all I loved it! I also I wish I'd've worked harder at hardcore back in the day.

It's interesting to me that they eschew Hard Style/Dub Step and so on and then proceed to make it anyway.

8/10, Endless Summer

ChrisNelson

Gran Turismo

Enjoyed this a lot more than I expected I would.

The leads all do a great job of making it feel realistic (which I guess it is!) and it's perfectly paced with the introductions, through to his main career in racing.

I liked the way they utilised the characters as well, with the introduction of villains and redemption, just such a smooth film and can't really pick too many faults.

8/10

The Equalizer 3

This is OK but it doesn't have anything to make it stand out and put it in the elite bracket of action movies.

In contrast to Gran Turismo I thought the pacing was a little off, too many things are just over in the blink of an eye:

Normally I would expect the fight scenes to get longer as the movie goes on, ending with a really long one with the main villain - see John Wick for example - but here he gets to the final showdown and kills all the henchmen and Vincent within five minutes

There's nothing wrong with Denzel's performance, he's one of the best out there.

I also thought the plot was decent enough, containing it within the town and having him befriend everyone made a nice change to shootouts all over a big city.

7/10

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Gran Turismo

Enjoyed this a lot more than I expected I would.

The leads all do a great job of making it feel realistic (which I guess it is!) and it's perfectly paced with the introductions, through to his main career in racing.

I liked the way they utilised the characters as well, with the introduction of villains and redemption, just such a smooth film and can't really pick too many faults.

8/10

The Equalizer 3

This is OK but it doesn't have anything to make it stand out and put it in the elite bracket of action movies.

In contrast to Gran Turismo I thought the pacing was a little off, too many things are just over in the blink of an eye:

Normally I would expect the fight scenes to get longer as the movie goes on, ending with a really long one with the main villain - see John Wick for example - but here he gets to the final showdown and kills all the henchmen and Vincent within five minutes

There's nothing wrong with Denzel's performance, he's one of the best out there.

I also thought the plot was decent enough, containing it within the town and having him befriend everyone made a nice change to shootouts all over a big city.

7/10
Worth seeing it on IMAX or nah?