Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

pauldyson1uk

Crimes of the Future

Humans adapt to a synthetic environment, with new transformations and mutations. With his partner Caprice, Saul Tenser, celebrity performance artist, publicly showcases the metamorphosis of his organs in avant-garde performances.
One of the strangest films I have seen in a long time, not since Naked Lunch (1991) and eXistenZ (1999)
I enjoyed it yes, but its definitely not a film for everyone and I doubt I would watch again.
If you like Cronenberg this is a must watch 10/10 film but just not for me.

7/10

pauldyson1uk

Titanic 666

Dark forces from the deep rise to the surface, terrorizing all aboard from Titanic III and threatens to repeat one of history's greatest disasters.
Its an Asylum film it was never going to be top quality, you know exactly what is going to happen and when, there was the odd bit of real horror and it was not has bad as I thought it would be.

4/10

pauldyson1uk

The Last Voyage of the Demeter

A crew sailing from Varna (Bulgaria) by the Black Sea to England find that they are carrying very dangerous cargo.
I am not a huge Dracula fan, but this was good, filmed and acted well and well written I thought.
There is definite scope for a second and I would watch it.

7/10

Sweet Square

Eternity and a Day(1998) & Landscape in the Mist(1988)

Two films by Greek director Theo Angelopoulos. Eternity And A Day is about a dying man and Landscape In The Mist is about two children looking for their father.

I went in expecting good things as Angelopoulos has been described by Scorsese as a masterful filmmaker and Herzog kissed the guy feet on stage due to his film making skills.

So….yeah after watching probably two of the greatest films ever made.

Throughout both films Angelopoulos creates incredible set pieces which(Sorry to sound like a massive wanker)are poetic. Almost dream like scenes where the harsh reality of the real world stops just for moment for the characters only to then have reality hit back.

There’s a 11 minute scene on a bus in Eternity And A Day which could possible be the best thing ever put on film. Captures the very unique workings that make film a art form.

There are also shots where the camera starts close in on a character only to then slowly back away revealing giant landscapes. A simply scene of a man sitting on bench turns into a far reaching shot where even shipping boats in the background are part of the scene.

Angelopoulos pacing is slow and meditative. Reminded me of Tarkovsky. So did the dialogue with characters talking at times in vague poems. But there isn’t the Christian dread or distain for the future. Always got the sense Tarkovsky taught the microwave was invented by the devil. Overall I found Angelopoulos works to be hopeful in the end.

The performances are truly excellent. Bruno Ganz is just one of the best actors and is the perfect lead in Eternity And A Day. The use of extras is maybe the best I’ve seen in film as the extras are used more as figures like in a Renaissance painting.

The soundtracks for both films is by Eleni Karaindrou. Brilliant works that I’ve pretty much listen to on repeat.

Definitely worth watching.

10/10

Wing Attack Plan R

Eternity and a Day(1998) & Landscape in the Mist(1988)

Two films by Greek director Theo Angelopoulos. Eternity And A Day is about a dying man and Landscape In The Mist is about two children looking for their father.

I went in expecting good things as Angelopoulos has been described by Scorsese as a masterful filmmaker and Herzog kissed the guy feet on stage due to his film making skills.

So….yeah after watching probably two of the greatest films ever made.

Throughout both films Angelopoulos creates incredible set pieces which(Sorry to sound like a massive wanker)are poetic. Almost dream like scenes where the harsh reality of the real world stops just for moment for the characters only to then have reality hit back.

There’s a 11 minute scene on a bus in Eternity And A Day which could possible be the best thing ever put on film. Captures the very unique workings that make film a art form.

There are also shots where the camera starts close in on a character only to then slowly back away revealing giant landscapes. A simply scene of a man sitting on bench turns into a far reaching shot where even shipping boats in the background are part of the scene.

Angelopoulos pacing is slow and meditative. Reminded me of Tarkovsky. So did the dialogue with characters talking at times in vague poems. But there isn’t the Christian dread or distain for the future. Always got the sense Tarkovsky taught the microwave was invented by the devil. Overall I found Angelopoulos works to be hopeful in the end.

The performances are truly excellent. Bruno Ganz is just one of the best actors and is the perfect lead in Eternity And A Day. The use of extras is maybe the best I’ve seen in film as the extras are used more as figures like in a Renaissance painting.

The soundtracks for both films is by Eleni Karaindrou. Brilliant works that I’ve pretty much listen to on repeat.

Definitely worth watching.

10/10
So, even better than Speed 2? Where does one watch these films?

Loon

:lol:
RIFIFI (1955)

Rewatch of this simply stunning, and hugely influential, French noir heist movie. The 30+ min silent heist sequence is rightly lauded, but the whole movie is superbly directed by the blacklisted American Jules Dassin (who also acts as one of the robbers under a nom de plume) who made such classics as BRUTE FORCE, NIGHT AND THE CITY, and THE NAKED CITY.

Wing Attack Plan R

RIFIFI (1955)

Rewatch of this simply stunning, and hugely influential, French noir heist movie. The 30+ min silent heist sequence is rightly lauded, but the whole movie is superbly directed by the blacklisted American Jules Dassin (who also acts as one of the robbers under a nom de plume) who made such classics as BRUTE FORCE, NIGHT AND THE CITY, and THE NAKED CITY.
Oh yeah, this movie is a stone cold classic. Great call.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Ricky Stanicky - Really really dumb. I quite enjoyed it... but only when John Cena was on the screen

No Hard Feelings - Not quite as dumb as the above, didn't enjoy it as much, it was fine though.

Next Goal Wins - Another miss for Taika. It's fairly sweet in parts, and there's some nice comedy moments, but overall it just doesn't work as a movie.

The Iron Claw - Really good. Incredibly well acted, yet thoroughly depressing bipoic that I never need to watch again.

Incantation - Taiwanese horror film on Netflix - Not usually a fan of found-footage stuff, but this was sufficiently creepy enough to keep me entertained.

Sweet Square

So, even better than Speed 2? Where does one watch these films?

Funny enough Willem Dafoe stars in Angelopoulos film. I did rewatch the original Speed and I was at surprised at how influential it was. Mission Impossible 1 action scenes are pretty much a copy of Speed.

Where does one watch these films?
Oh someone very kindly got it for me. I’m not sure where. Angelopoulos films in good quality are hard to find.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Anyone else seen All Of Us Strangers yet?

An incredibly sad and haunting film that really brings out the best in its four cast members, that's effectively all there is - Scott, Mescal, Bell and Foy.

They are brilliant but don't go in expecting to have fun! It's quite dark and emotional, showing the terrible effects of both loneliness and bereavement.

I'm annoyed at myself for not predicting the ending - in hindsight it was fairly clear where it was going.

But I thought it was really well done and as soon as he opened the door to find Harry dead my jaw opened as if it was a Eureka moment.

A sad yet powerful way to end a sad and powerful movie.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of anyone else who has caught this at the cinema - I'll give it 7.5/10.
I did a quick search and it seems like you're the only one to have posted about this one. I saw it on Saturday and I still have the Frankie goes to Hollywood song in my head 2 days later :lol:

For me, it's an absolutely perfect film - not necessarily because it's flawless, but because it sets out to tell a certain story and does it masterfully, with top notch performances all around, makes you jump from wry laughter to incontrolable sobbing... and it lands its ending absolutely perfectly. The 3 of us that went to see it just stay sat for a few minutes after the lights had come back on without saying a word (just trying to wipe those last tears away).

Like Aftersun that I saw pretty much at the same time last year, I connected so much with what was going on on screen that I am incapable of being objective about it - but then again, why would I want to? There are so many moments in there that I found either heartbreaking or nerve racking or funny, the tonality was handled so so well. And the way the music is integrated into the film is super clever.

I loves the ambiguity in the first half hour or so of the film when it wasn't quite clear what was going, the aura of mystery and weirdness permeating the film until things become a bit clearer... And even after that, there's such a unique and interesting vibe in the way the story is told.

Superb, absolutely superb film.

Wing Attack Plan R

Ricky Stanicky - Really really dumb. I quite enjoyed it... but only when John Cena was on the screen

No Hard Feelings - Not quite as dumb as the above, didn't enjoy it as much, it was fine though.

Next Goal Wins - Another miss for Taika. It's fairly sweet in parts, and there's some nice comedy moments, but overall it just doesn't work as a movie.

The Iron Claw - Really good. Incredibly well acted, yet thoroughly depressing bipoic that I never need to watch again.

Incantation - Taiwanese horror film on Netflix - Not usually a fan of found-footage stuff, but this was sufficiently creepy enough to keep me entertained.
A close friend of mine worked on Ricky Stanicky and I just can't bring myself to watch it, it looks so, so unfunny. It's weird seeing Peter Farrelly reverting to the raunchy humor of his early days. I guess Green Book and Beer Run weren't as much fun to make, who knew.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m genuinely annoyed this movie got made. The documentary it’s ripping off… sorry… inspired by, is such a perfect little film to begin with. It really does piss me off to think that someone thought it would be a good idea to remake it as a scripted comedy. Feck those guys.

I’m also annoyed at the downwards trend in everything Taika has made/been involved with. I had so much hope after Hunt for the Wilderpeople and They Move in the Shadows (the movie, the series can get fecked) but that’s a whole other rant.

But anyway, watch the documentary. It’s fantastic.

GregM40

Dune Part Two: had to rewatch the first one last night as thought it was a bit confusing on first watch. Part Two is incredible. Go see it in imax if you can.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A close friend of mine worked on Ricky Stanicky and I just can't bring myself to watch it, it looks so, so unfunny. It's weird seeing Peter Farrelly reverting to the raunchy humor of his early days. I guess Green Book and Beer Run weren't as much fun to make, who knew.
I mean, it's not good... At all. But if you enjoy John Cena then there's a kick to be had out of it

ChrisNelson

I did a quick search and it seems like you're the only one to have posted about this one. I saw it on Saturday and I still have the Frankie goes to Hollywood song in my head 2 days later :lol:

For me, it's an absolutely perfect film - not necessarily because it's flawless, but because it sets out to tell a certain story and does it masterfully, with top notch performances all around, makes you jump from wry laughter to incontrolable sobbing... and it lands its ending absolutely perfectly. The 3 of us that went to see it just stay sat for a few minutes after the lights had come back on without saying a word (just trying to wipe those last tears away).

Like Aftersun that I saw pretty much at the same time last year, I connected so much with what was going on on screen that I am incapable of being objective about it - but then again, why would I want to? There are so many moments in there that I found either heartbreaking or nerve racking or funny, the tonality was handled so so well. And the way the music is integrated into the film is super clever.

I loves the ambiguity in the first half hour or so of the film when it wasn't quite clear what was going, the aura of mystery and weirdness permeating the film until things become a bit clearer... And even after that, there's such a unique and interesting vibe in the way the story is told.

Superb, absolutely superb film.
Totally agree with all of that - Paul Mescal really is a rising star and this film is just so perfectly cast, the chemistry with Andrew Scott you'd think they'd acted together in 100 films before.

The casting of the parents is fantastic as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mescal in a happy film for once though - the last three I've seen him in are Aftersun, God's Creatures and All of us Strangers! Three fantastic films but all leave you a lot sadder than when you walked in to the cinema!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Totally agree with all of that - Paul Mescal really is a rising star and this film is just so perfectly cast, the chemistry with Andrew Scott you'd think they'd acted together in 100 films before.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mescal in a happy film for once though - the last three I've seen him in are Aftersun, God's Creatures and All of us Strangers! Three fantastic films but all leave you a lot sadder than when you walked in to the cinema!
That's his specialty. Sexy sad.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

The casting was absolutely perfect - it really couldn't be any better. And agree on the chemistry between Mescal and Scott.

I haven't seen God's Creatures, is it worth a watch?

ChrisNelson

The casting was absolutely perfect - it really couldn't be any better. And agree on the chemistry between Mescal and Scott.

I haven't seen God's Creatures, is it worth a watch?
Very much so!

Didn't get a huge amount of hype compared to the other two but is a gripping story and Emily Watson plays his mum, so again great casting.

Oldyella

Ricky Stanicky.

It's not a great movie, but the scenes with Cena were fun, especially when he first started acting as Ricky. Went very schmaltzy very quickly though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It was awful. Even my kids didn't want to finish it, and it was only on for them

pauldyson1uk

Oppenheimer

WOW what a film, easy one of the best films I have ever seen.
The whole cast were outstanding, but RDJ and Cillian Murphy were a cut above the rest, everything about it was perfect.
Even at 3 hours it did not feel overly long, in fact the 3 hours flew by, every single minute was used and used well.

10/10

Wing Attack Plan R

It was awful. Even my kids didn't want to finish it, and it was only on for them
The parts I saw were pure cringe.
Oppenheimer

The whole cast were outstanding, but RDJ and Cillian Murphy were a cut above the rest, everything about it was perfect.
Even at 3 hours it did not feel overly long, in fact the 3 hours flew by, every single minute was used and used well.

10/10
It’s pretty fantastic.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Dune Part 2. I don't this needs any introduction right now. Pretty good I have to see: the 2h45 just flew by - which not many films with that length can say. As always with Villeneuve, and similar to Part 1, the visual part is outstanding, both in terms of the production design and the camera shots. There's some great action as well, and I don't mind that they did not draw out the battle and fight scenes. Main characters fighting for minutes with various reversals of fortune is a film trope that I really don't need.

I thought the story was also strong. I could understand how and why the script writers diverted from the book, and I thought it was coherent as such (although it might help that I read the book recently). People claim about things being left open at the end, but I thought it wasn't so bad. Sure, the story could continue exactly where it leaves off, but I think it would be fine also if a Part 3 was never made (although I hope it will be). On the other hand, I felt the whole remained a little flat - but maybe that's also exactly because I did reach the book recently (so there weren't many surprises) and the film has been overhyped. 4/5

Burn after Reading. The Coen Brothers' 2008 spy comedy, with a high-profile cast including John Malkovich, George Clooney, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Brad Pitt, and others. I saw it before but could remember barely anything. In short, it's a highly convoluted story that's essentially a comedy of errors, but with serious consequences for a number of characters. It takes a while to get going (the first 30 min are all about introductions and not very funny), but once it's properly underway, it's hilarious. My favorite character was J.K. Simmons's CIA Director - he has the best lines in the film and his closing scene is amazing. 3.5/5

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Burn after Reading. The Coen Brothers' 2008 spy comedy, with a high-profile cast including John Malkovich, George Clooney, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Brad Pitt, and others. I saw it before but could remember barely anything. In short, it's a highly convoluted story that's essentially a comedy of errors, but with serious consequences for a number of characters. It takes a while to get going (the first 30 min are all about introductions and not very funny), but once it's properly underway, it's hilarious. My favorite character was J.K. Simmons's CIA Director - he has the best lines in the film and his closing scene is amazing. 3.5/5
It's a decent movie, but they did 'A Serious Man' after this which was miles better as a black comedy - you'll like it, definitely check it out.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's a decent movie, but they did 'A Serious Man' after this which was miles better as a black comedy - you'll like it, definitely check it out.
I saw that one fairly soon after it came out and it did absolutely nothing for me. I also felt it ended mid-story - part of a couple of Coen films that just seemed very directionless/pointless to me (also No Country and Llewyn Davis). Maybe I'd feel differently now, but it ranks so lowly in my memory that I have very little motivation to revisit it. (I do intend to watch No Country again though: I might feel differently now I've read the book.)

Last edited:

Loon

FULL TIME (2021)

Terrific lead performance from the wonderful Laure Calamy as a single mother trying to keep everything together as her world spirals out of control. Genuine sense of tension and stress reminds me of UNCUT GEMS. Excellent music score.

Sweet Square

At least he’s honest. Shakespeare isn’t for everyone tbf.
Maybe although the film is called The Tragedy of Macbeth. Its a strange complaint to use in a review.

Granted the guy did admit he might be just stupid but still isn’t Macbeth difficult to understand.

FULL TIME (2021)

Terrific lead performance from the wonderful Laure Calamy as a single mother trying to keep everything together as her world spirals out of control. Genuine sense of tension and stress reminds me of UNCUT GEMS. Excellent music score.
Just watched the trailer after reading your review. Looks interesting and worth checking out.

Have you seen Run Lola Run ? German film from the late 90’s with similar themes.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Oppenheimer

10/10
Agreed. Not a fan of all Nolan films but this was exceptional.

Loon

Maybe although the film is called The Tragedy of Macbeth. Its a strange complaint to use in a review.

Granted the guy did admit he might be just stupid but still isn’t Macbeth difficult to understand.

Just watched the trailer after reading your review. Looks interesting and worth checking out.

Have you seen Run Lola Run ? German film from the late 90’s with similar themes.
Yeah, RUN LOLA RUN is great. Have not watched it in years. This has a different vibe in that it is not so “against the clock” as LOLA, but more “against my circumstances.”

FULL TIME is on BBC iPlayer if you want to check it out.

Sweet Square

Yeah, RUN LOLA RUN is great. Have not watched it in years. This has a different vibe in that it is not so “against the clock” as LOLA, but more “against my circumstances.”
Nice. Yeah it’s tense but agree it’s different vibe. There’s a time loop element which is used to great effect. Plus the dance soundtrack.

FULL TIME is on BBC iPlayer if you want to check it out.
I didn’t know this. Cheers.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I saw that one fairly after it came out and it did absolutely nothing for me. I also felt it ended mid-story - part of a couple of Coen films that just seemed very directionless/pointless to me (also No Country and Llewyn Davis). Maybe I'd feel differently now, but it ranks so lowly in my memory that I have very little motivation to revisit it. (I do intend to watch No Country again though: I might feel differently now I've read the book.)
I’m shocked you didn’t like No Country. It’s one of my favourite movies ever. Also you’re a fellow Western aficionado. What did you think of the book?

A Serious Man is a great film, I often find it somewhat forgotten in the Coen's filmo
First Silence, now this - am I one of your alts or are you mine?