The Referee Decisions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave89

He didn't book him so he can always claim he didn't see it, no?

I wouldn't be surprised if both get a ban.
It'll be a barefaced lie if he claims not to have seen it.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Mings get off with it to be honest. He wasn't wearing red.

binary bot
Friend wouldn't have sent Surman off if he'd have known he was already on a yellow.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The ref can probably make out what Zlatan did, but if you look at the replay, there's a Bournemouth player just in front of him when Zlatan elbows him.

lsd

The Oracle
Looked like ref knew what happened with the stamp but didn't see it . Then saw Zlatons elbow knew why he did it and just decided fk it I'm not doing anything here they can both get bans after

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If the ref saw the stomp the subsequent clusterfeck doesn't happen.
He has no chance to see the stamp but the foul by mings on rooney was obvious and a stone wall yellow. He's just had an absolute shocker tbh.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Sky saying his first yellow was harsh. I'm not so sure. He wins the ball but definitely takes out Luke Shaw with his other leg, with some force as well.

Cristiano_RAFC

It'll be a barefaced lie if he claims not to have seen it.
Well yea... but he can claim he only told Zlatan to not be too reckless in challenges or he'll get sent off. If he really did see the elbow, he's not going to tell the F.A. that he did see it, but not punish it. That would basically mean he would admit he's not applying the rules. He will prefer to claim he didn't see the actual elbow and throw Zlatan under the bus rather than throw himself under it. That's what I think anyway...

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
He didn't book him so he can always claim he didn't see it, no?

I wouldn't be surprised if both get a ban.
He had such a long chat with Zlatan that he obviously saw the elbow, in which case Friend will have a tough time explaining why he didn't show him a second yellow. Obviously if Ming's intentionally stamped him then he shouldn't have been there to elbow but that doesn't excuse the retaliation.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ref booking Rashford for that and didn't even give a foul when King did it to Jones earlier.

MAME DIOUF 32

Impossible to say whether we were hard done by or we benefitted. Just an appalling performance.

Red Stone

Should be relegated to reffing kids football. He was miles out of his depth all day. Struggle to think of a single good decision and he completely lost control of the game already in the first half.

Arguably the worst on the pitch today, which is some feat considering he was out there with Pogba, Rooney and Ibrahimovic.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Impossible to say whether we were hard done by or we benefitted. Just an appalling performance.
They should've had at least two sending offs. I think Surman's was soft and wouldn't have happened if the ref wasn't a complete fecktard who didn't realise he was already booked, but both Arter and Mings should've been off. Zlatan should've gone too, at the very least on two yellows but more likely on a straight red for the elbow.

MAME DIOUF 32

They should've had at least two sending offs. I think Surman's was soft and wouldn't have happened if the ref wasn't a complete fecktard who didn't realise he was already booked, but both Arter and Mings should've been off. Zlatan should've gone too, at the very least on two yellows but more likely on a straight red for the elbow.
Agree with all of those, but they're all the result of stupid refereeing before each incident. If Mings isn't on the pitch, he doesn't get elbowed. If Friend tells Arter he's got his eye on him, Arter probably stops playing the way he did.

It's a different game with a competent referee.

Grylte

I think the Surman sending off was ok.
Had he missed the ball, and hit Shaw's leg, he'd broken it straight off again.
Came in with studs first, so in my opinion, it was reckless, even if he hit the ball.
Second yellow was right too, you can't raise your hands and push a player, end off.
And don't give me the "in the 70's and 80's, people did this all the time, and it was ok" bollox, we're not in the 70-80's now.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
If Friend tells Arter he's got his eye on him, Arter probably stops playing the way he did.
He already did though. Arter got a "final warning" in the first half, but the ref ignored it in the second and gave him another one. In fairness, I don't think there's any way he can spot Ming's stamp and be 100% certain it was intentional in full speed.

Akshay

Staff
Came in with studs first, so in my opinion, it was reckless, even if he hit the ball.
Second yellow was right too, you can't raise your hands and push a player, end off.
And don't give me the "in the 70's and 80's, people did this all the time, and it was ok" bollox, we're not in the 70-80's now.
It's not like Surman couldn't have been sent off, but it was a little harsh. How he got sent off while Ming and Zlatan stayed on though is completely incomprehensible. If Zlatan was given leniency because it was in retaliation, then Surman should have been let off for that as well. Friend just didn't realize he'd already booked him. He completely lost control of the game from early on, imo.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
But that was the least of 3 offences in the seconds before, neither if which were punished, that's the problem with the officiating. Why did it take 2 minutes between giving Surman the 2nd yellow and actually showing him the red? Did the ref know he was booked already?

Did the ref let Zlatan away with push/pull of their defender onto the ground a few minutes before? If that was seen then another card for Zlatan would have been correct if he was being consistent.

I just thought the ref got everything wrong, he stopped the game when Afobe tripped our defender and was clearly just lying down to waste time but then when Arthur had a clear head injury the ref showed no concern at all and failed to stop the game.

Never liked Kevin Friend but today he showed he's not fit to referee at this level. I'm not being dramatic to try overshadow our own shocking 2nd half but I hope he gets slaughtered in the press.

Anustart89

It's interesting, because everything that happened today could've been prevented if English refs didn't have the "if you keep the ball, it's an advantage, regardless of where the ball ends up" mentality. Initial tackle on Rooney right on the edge of the box was a foul, pretty much in the middle and in a perfect shooting position. Since the ball falls to Martial on the edge of the box, surrounded by three players, and Friend deems that an advantage and lets play go on, then Mings has to rush to get back into position and stamps on Zlatan while he's at it, and then we have three red card-worthy incidents within a minute.

Anustart89

This. They went down at least 3 times, and it felt like at least 2 minutes each. King took like a whole minute to walk off.
No wonder he didn't add more time since he himself was also helping them waste time, like when Afobé fouled Jones and the ball goes to de Gea. Instead of letting play go on he blows the whistle, doesn't allow de Gea to take the quick free kick and then just lets Afobé go down and have a nap for a minute.

Anustart89

Anthony Taylor gave Burnley a penalty today against Swansea after a Burnley player handled the ball inside the box :lol:

It wasn't even close.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Anthony Taylor gave Burnley a penalty today against Swansea after a Burnley player handled the ball inside the box :lol:

It wasn't even close.
Worst decision of the season imo, shocking.

Edit: For those interested

Last edited:

Dominos

Looks like the ref saw Zlatan, in which case he should be in the clear.
I wouldn't be sure. Aguero got banned for a similar incident earlier in the season when the referee was looking at it but gave nothing at the time.

I think the talking to he gave him and Rooney afterwards could have been something to do with the 22 man melee that had just incurred, rather than him warning him about the elbow.

If the ref saw the stomp the subsequent clusterfeck doesn't happen.
As bad as I thought he was today you can't blame him for not seeing an off-the-ball incident like that, he has to follow the play.

Anustart89

As bad as I thought he was today you can't blame him for not seeing an off-the-ball incident like that, he has to follow the play.
It only became an off-the-ball incident because he thought that having the ball at the edge of the box, while being surrounded by three players, was an advantage over a free kick where Rooney was fouled, so I've no sympathy for him, the useless twat.

Acole9

Outstanding
He had an awful game, totally spoilt it. His performance sums up referee's this season in general really.

Verminator

Got to watch about 50 minutes football today.
3 mins added time for the first half, and 5 in the second.
With what went on in the first half, and the Bournemouth physio being on for over 5 in the 2nd, that was disgraceful.
We were robbed as fans today. That time wasting tipped many over the edge, in what was already a frustrating day.

Grylte

It's not like Surman couldn't have been sent off, but it was a little harsh. How he got sent off while Ming and Zlatan stayed on though is completely incomprehensible. If Zlatan was given leniency because it was in retaliation, then Surman should have been let off for that as well. Friend just didn't realize he'd already booked him. He completely lost control of the game from early on, imo.

Yeah, the other two should've seen red, but that doesn't change the fact that Surman did his second yellow card offense.

The White Pele

I can't recall a season when we've had so many decisions for and against us at Old Trafford as we have this season.

It seems that every PL match at Old Trafford descends into a farce with today being possibly the biggest example.

ClutchHunter

Got to watch about 50 minutes football today.
3 mins added time for the first half, and 5 in the second.
With what went on in the first half, and the Bournemouth physio being on for over 5 in the 2nd, that was disgraceful.
We were robbed as fans today. That time wasting tipped many over the edge, in what was already a frustrating day.
I think it's time to go the Rugby route of shorter halves but the clock stops when play stops. That way all you can do is halt momentum, not wind down the clock at a rate of about ~2:1 (that is for each 2 seconds wasted, only 1 is added back on).

ti vu

He has no chance to see the stamp but the foul by mings on rooney was obvious and a stone wall yellow. He's just had an absolute shocker tbh.
This. How on earth it's not a foul on Rooney? Went through Rooney from behind with force.

I don't like blaming referees when we don't win, as it's an easy get out, but yesterday Friend was a shambles and totally lost control of the game. The Zlatan stamping incident turned into a complete mess: both he and the culprit got away with clear red card offences whilst the other lad was very unlucky to go. It was so bad from the ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.