g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Referee Decisions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

POF

Dreadful decision. He gave 2 yellow cards in the first half, both to Herrera. Of the two offences, they barely made the top 10 of worst fouls in the half.

Compare that to Harry Arter getting away with a second yellow for a sliding tackle on Pogba last weekend.

United were looking pretty comfortable until the red card. It was a huge decision.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The standard of refereeing in this league is dreadful and has been for quite some time now. Referees seem to want to be in the center of attention all the time. I watched the Celtic vs Rangers game last weekend and I did not once notice the referee; that is how it should be.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Dreadful decision. He gave 2 yellow cards in the first half, both to Herrera. Of the two offences, they barely made the top 10 of worst fouls in the half.

Compare that to Harry Arter getting away with a second yellow for a sliding tackle on Pogba last weekend.

United were looking pretty comfortable until the red card. It was a huge decision.
It was an even match until the cards.

Chelsea are an excellent team. They did not need the cnut to give the match to them.

It could have gone either way.

POF

The standard of refereeing in this league is dreadful and has been for quite some time now. Referees seem to want to be in the center of attention all the time. I watched the Celtic vs Rangers game last weekend and I did not once notice the referee; that is how it should be.
The Celtic fans noticed him!

It was an even match until the cards.

Chelsea are an excellent team. They did not need the cnut to give the match to them.

It could have gone either way.
The narrow back 4 with deep wingers was an interesting formation and it was stifling Chelsea's attacking play. As the game opened up, Rashford and Mkhitaryan would have been a real threat on the counter attack. Just a real shame.

Last edited:

JonDahl

None of this is in the actual laws of the game. This is an interpretation (from 2009) of what one football federation thinks should be applied (the same nation that thought every drawn game should end with a 45-yard shootout).

Absolutly none of this is a part of the actual rules, let alone an interpretation made by someone in this country - where the actual infringement took place. It's not even an opinion conjured up in the same decade.

Jaxdan

It was a dumb challenge from behind on Herrera and I can see a foul given. But definitely not worthy of a 2nd yellow and sending off. This referees have been pathetic this year. We spend more time talking about them than the actual games played the day after. Houston....we have a problem here.

Jaxdan

None of this is in the actual laws of the game. This is an interpretation (from 2009) of what one football federation thinks should be applied (the same nation that thought every drawn game should end with a 45-yard shootout).

Absolutly none of this is a part of the actual rules, let alone an interpretation made by someone in this country - where the actual infringement took place. It's not even an opinion conjured up in the same decade.
But he found it on the internet, it must be true! :cool:

We seemed to have a situation last night where the referee booked Herrera for the second time because he'd just spoken to Jones. Each foul should be judged on its merits, not as a consequence of the actions of another player. It was never a booking, but Oliver did it because of previous fouls against Hazard. I think Phil Neville called it right: it doesn't matter what had happened previously, the question is whether the Herrera foul was worth another booking. The answer has to be no.

Red Dreams

The FA should be concerned about one of their matches being ruined like this.
The Cup has already lost its value with many fans.
You would think they would have proper refs than these attention seekers.
What I remember is him having his littlle lectures and waving his handbag and making sure the cameras got his new eye shadows.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Yes I'm bitter but a Chelsea player wouldn't be off like Herrera y'day.

KN5

EPL referees this year are disgustingly bad and inconsistent, for this reason alone, if we don't want to be the laughing stock of the world officiating wise we need to either overhaul referees, crack down on their mistakes or get video replay, latter being my preferred choice, major sports across the world have it, I don't see why we're lagging behind.

AN17

The first yellow was barely a foul. What is Hererra supposed to do? Get out of the way so Hazard can waltz in to the penalty box ? He stood his ground and got a yellow for it. If it was Luiz on Mkhi, I doubt Oliver would have given as much as a foul.

Red Dreams

I was shaking my head for the first yellow.
The second was incredible.
He wanted to make his point after talking to Smalling and he did that by sending off a player not caring it was going to ruin a football match between two very good teams.

the overall picture has to be fans want to watch a good game and expect there will be contact at times.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Jones commits a load of fouls so he sends Ander off. How does that make any sense?
Book Jones if he oversteps the mark his fouls should have no bearing on Ander's disciplinary record.
It's like a cop pulling you over and arresting you because your mate is drunk.
Oliver might well have let Ander away without a card for his last foul if it was another player. If that trip had been on Matic or Kante maybe the ref would give us the benefit of the doubt as he might think it was accidental. Our treatment of Hazard seemed to have made up the refs mind that this was an intentional trip on him and a card.

Fully Fledged

Oliver might well have let Ander away without a card for his last foul if it was another player. If that trip had been on Matic or Kante maybe the ref would give us the benefit of the doubt as he might think it was accidental. Our treatment of Hazard seemed to have made up the refs mind that this was an intentional trip on him and a card.
As I said earlier he should have booked Jones for his 4 fouls on Hazard. Passing that booking on to Ander for nothing was ridiculous.

GiddyUp

As I said earlier he should have booked Jones for his 4 fouls on Hazard. Passing that booking on to Ander for nothing was ridiculous.
He gave the Chelsea player the choice of who to book and Hazard chose Herrera. When hazard gets the ball with his back to goal his body is so low to the ground and when he turns most of the time he hits the deck. When he hits the floor he actually impedes the opposing player turning and running for that ball and a few times i have seen this it is hazard that is actually fouling. When he pulls it off it looks magnificent but most of the time he is thinking of the foul.
It was the same with Suarez. They would launch a ball in to the box and his first instinct was to flick it up to the defenders hand. He won a few penalties like that.
Michael Oliver is a piss poor referee and I do believe clubs in the premier league should be allowed veto one ref at the start of the season for their games by proving the inconsistency of that refs performance compared to other games. Oliver punishes United players for infractions that he would let go the week before or the week after. Clattenberg is the same, he needs his name and face on the TV so some of his decisions stink of brain farts because he is more concerned about himself and not the lightning fast game in front of him.

Inter Yer Nan

Not sure what it's like in other countries but seems in the English league there's quite a few celebrity ref's dying to get recognized and be the topic of discussion. They think the fans came to see them, the audience tunes in for them. Clattenberg is #1 for that. Egotistical prat that he is.

I'd like to see some kind of retroactive pay where they are paid on a base salary and performance. I don't know what they are paid but lets say its $1000 a game and then there's a panel that reviews the game and the decisions and give them some sort of grading scale. If you fall below a certain amount you lose x amount, if you perform above a certain amount you get x amount bonus. Repeat offenders get suspended without pay. Sure, that's probably impossible, but it would be great.

As it stands I don't know that the league has any top drawer refs and there's some utterly atrocious ones and its taking from the fun of the games more and more.

sugar_kane

Having re-watched both Herrera incidents it's astonishing everyone is so convinced he should have been sent off. Hazard runs into him for the first and performs theatrics for the second. That we've been charged for failing to control our players is a joke... it's a fecking contact sport and it was a competitive game. The Spurs players were ten times worse against Chelsea at the end of last season.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Rojo in the clear for his stamp after Oliver claims he saw it but decided he'd allow it.

Maybe Mourinho's criticism paid off? Was sure Rojo was in line for a ban.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This referee in the Sevilla Leicester game is completely in charge. Letting the game have a physical edge, letting it flow generally. But he is in charge. No freekick is being shifted forward 5 yards, no player is getting away with screaming at the ref.

Red1968

Not only I am unimpressed by Oilver getting conned 2x by wobbly legs Hazard, I am thoroughly unimpressed by his lack of temperament on the 2nd decision. If he was truly "exasperated" by the continuous cynical fouling of Hazard and actually warned that the next person to foul Hazard would get a card, then he should never ref another game in the EPL. The refs have to be objective, assess each situation on its own and above all else never lose their tempers. Its akin to a parent on a roadtrip with small children giving a ultimatum to their misbehaviour in the backseat and then turning the car around when they screw up, cancelling the vacation. He lost the plot with that decision and ruined the game.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Not only I am unimpressed by Oilver getting conned 2x by wobbly legs Hazard, I am thoroughly unimpressed by his lack of temperament on the 2nd decision. If he was truly "exasperated" by the continuous cynical fouling of Hazard and actually warned that the next person to foul Hazard would get a card, then he should never ref another game in the EPL. The refs have to be objective, assess each situation on its own and above all else never lose their tempers. Its akin to a parent on a roadtrip with small children giving a ultimatum to their misbehaviour in the backseat and then turning the car around when they screw up, cancelling the vacation. He lost the plot with that decision and ruined the game.
Sorry but that's one of the strangest analogies I've ever heard. Is it a traumatic memory from your childhood or something?

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I don't think you can point to many incidents today and blame Dean for making a poor call, but his game management is just appalling. They were time-wasting from the first minute, and he told them to hurry up at their very first throw-in - yet he doesn't add sufficient time and doesn't book any of them (Foster spent about 30 seconds per goal kick the entire game). Every time we tried to take a quick free kick he took it back, because the ball was moving ever so slightly when it was taken - why the feck does that matter? It like that every time he's on the pitch - he cares way too much about small details like that and completely ignores other parts.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't think you can point to many incidents today and blame Dean for making a poor call, but his game management is just appealing. They were time-wasting from the first minute, and he told them to hurry up at their very first throw-in - yet he doesn't add sufficient time and doesn't book any of them (Foster spent about 30 seconds per goal kick the entire game). Every time we tried to take a quick free kick he took it back, because the ball was moving every so slightly when it was taken - why the feck does that matter? It like that every time he's on the pitch - he cares way too much about small details like that and completely ignores other parts.
My thoughts exactly. He was so pedantic over the free kicks, even though we nearly always played a backwards/sideways pass when the ball was slightly in motion. We weren't exactly gaining an advantage from it. A bit of common sense needs to be applied. In the first half, they intentionally blocked us from taking a quick free kick (something the same ref gave Juan Mata one of two yellows that had him sent off last season) and Dean blamed it on Young, telling him not to do that and to wait.

The lack of consistency is maddening.

Dominos

The common sense should come from our players who know the ball needs to be stopped before they take a free kick. No idea why the ref should do them favours because they can't perform the most basic of tasks.

djdhrubs

I don't think you can point to many incidents today and blame Dean for making a poor call, but his game management is just appalling. They were time-wasting from the first minute, and he told them to hurry up at their very first throw-in - yet he doesn't add sufficient time and doesn't book any of them (Foster spent about 30 seconds per goal kick the entire game). Every time we tried to take a quick free kick he took it back, because the ball was moving ever so slightly when it was taken - why the feck does that matter? It like that every time he's on the pitch - he cares way too much about small details like that and completely ignores other parts.
Yup perfect summary of what happened today. I was at the ground and the ref was getting a lot of abuse, quite rightly so, for not hurrying up Foster with his goal kicks. It wasn't just goal kicks though. Whenever a throw in was given to the opposition, I went and brewed myself a nice cup of tea knowing full well I'd have time to come back to my seat, look up and take a sip just as it would be taken.

Exactly what you expect of West From but as soon as it's punished once it won't happen again.

stepic

1 minute of added time in the first half, just a complete joke. he was basically was saying that there was no time wasting, when Foster was clearly taking the piss literally every time he had the ball.

red_devil83

Don't think we can blame the ref today. Yea, he wasn't great but we probably wouldn't have scored in another 10 minutes of injury time

Denis' cuff

Don't think we can blame the ref today. Yea, he wasn't great but we probably wouldn't have scored in another 10 minutes of injury time

Don't think anyone blamed the ref for us not scoring

He waved play on for a series of fouls on Lingard early on, yet penalised him for a far lesser infringement late in the game

I'm convinced they lean towards the opposition for fear of being scrutinised on telly. It goes the other way and nobody comments.

ZupZup

We should have had a penalty against Robson-Kanu for handball in the first half... you could argue that he accidentally hits the ball against his own arm but Dean literally gave a freekick against Fellaini for the same thing about 3 minutes before.

The time wasting annoys me more though. Maybe it's because it's been happening at Old Trafford so frequently this season but it's so blatant and literally from the first whistle. A good referee should be stronger it. Fans pay a lot of money to go and watch a football match... not watch Ben Foster do some stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.