g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Referee Decisions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_a

I don't think we're getting any less from the refs now thanwe did in the Fergie era, the only difference is that back then we were winning most of these games anyway so we didn't care about refs mistakes as much as we do now.
Well that's my opinion at least.
Nah, the big picture was that over 26 years we did really well. There were instances of bad decisions though, the last biggie was Nani getting sent off in that game that ended SAFs last hopes of European glory. That was a tough decision.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ue-dream-with-Nani-red-card-against-Real.html

This season we're had some awful "luck" against us (where "luck" means a string of just plain poor decisions). I'm sure it's small, but part of it will be because it's United and no-one owes us anything. We'll miss out on "benefit of the doubts". Don't forget the ref gets a split second, things feed into that knife-edge decision!

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
When is this shit going to start even-ing up?

I want to see some huge mistakes in our favor now, resulting in us getting the 3 points. Not holding my breath though.

Djemba-Djemba

Adrian should have been sent off for his studs up foul on Zlatan and we should have had a penalty when Rooney got a fecking boot in the face.

Really has been ridiculous this season.

Dobba

They really are a useless bunch of cnuts and with next to zero accountability for any of their decisions, they have no reason to improve.

Not just in our games but up and down the divisions.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Can only hope that Zlatan challenge is reviewed retrospectively as presumably the referee did not see it, otherwise it is a straight red. Couldn't see from Stretty obviously, but it's an absolute shocker on the highlights.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Also thought both of the cards were bs. Cresswell's dive was worse than Pogba's and Rooney did nothing. Obviously he got carded for his reaction but that reaction was very much understandable.

Josep Dowling

All you want as a fan is consistency which there never is.

At the beginning of the season they were giving pens for shirt pulling at corners, this has now stopped.

Antonio mouthed off at the linesman after a bookable challenge, doesn't get booked. Rooney does the same tonight and he didn't even foul the player, gets a yellow.

Mourinho is sent to the stand for kicking a bottle, Wenger did the same a couple of years ago. He got an apology, Jose is banned.

Jose got sent to the stand for berating the referee, gets sent to the stand. Klopp does the same to the 4th official, nothing happens.

This isn't just a problem for United but a massive issue across the league. I still don't understand how, with all the money involved, so many of the refs are simply not match fit. Surely they should be hiring referees who are as fit as the players. Then they might actually keep up with play to make the correct decision.

Irrational.

Some of the decisions we've been denied have been as blatant as they get. There is surely some subliminal ref-hating-Mourinho-favouring-opposition bullshit going on. Feck 'em.

Handré1990

Can only hope that Zlatan challenge is reviewed retrospectively as presumably the referee did not see it, otherwise it is a straight red. Couldn't see from Stretty obviously, but it's an absolute shocker on the highlights.
Yeah, after watching it again it looks like there's malicious intent. The ball is well past the keeper when he kicks Zlatan's knee.

roykeane19

The refereeing decisions that are constantly going against us are appalling, you can see why Jose is so angry. Its funny they make so many wrong calls against us, dont act the same way to the opposition, and then when it is highlighted the manager gets a fine and a ban?

RK

Is it just me or was West Ham's goal clearly offside?

I've just got back from the game so may have missed the discussion somewhere else. First thing I've done is watched the goals back.

arthurka

And Kouyate fouled Martial inside the box.. The line is a part of the box.. Just like the goal-line is a part of the box not the goal..

I also thought West ham scored an offside goal..

VanGaalEra

Just can't be bothered updating the OP anymore, it's a regular occurrence.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If Rooney was a water bottle would he have got a penalty for being kicked?

The number of decisions we have been denied by referees this season is ridiculous. I count four times where we should have had penalties. People will say its sour grapes to say we lost or drew because of referees, a team should not have to win in spite of referees though. It is like playing 12 men sometimes. Is equal treatment too much to expect? Funny that referees don't seem at all shy to give things against us.

SqueakyWeasel

The number of decisions we have been denied by referees this season is ridiculous. I count four times where we should have had penalties. People will say its sour grapes to say we lost or drew because of referees, a team should not have to win in spite of referees though. It is like playing 12 men sometimes. Is equal treatment too much to expect? Funny that referees don't seem at all shy to give things against us.
Last night was a strange one. The ref stopped the game (supposedly as it was a head injury) but he didn't blow up immediately, although he still reacted well ahead of the cameras or TV commentators that hadn't picked up on it at that point.

On the replays you can see that Jones misses it completely as he's looking at the Blind situation. It's only when he looks back and sees Rooney spreadeagled on the floor that he blows up … not sure if he sees it but the side of Rooney's face with the blood on is admittedly "facing" towards him at this point.

What is far worse to me is the blatantly biased view of the supposedly impartial TV commentators who chose to blame the whole thing on Rooney despite the evidence right in front of their eyes! Even though the replays told a different story they concentrated on Rooney's lack of discipline, previous conduct in receiving a yellow card earlier in the match and even tried to blame the high boot on him :lol:

This is a transcript of their dialogue:

Bill Leslie: "The referee has stopped play to see if Wayne Rooney's OK. Rooney's telling him 'not to stop' in 'no uncertain terms', and having already 'talked his way into one yellow card' he might do well to, er, keep his counsel there. But, as we can see, he has got a cut. And Mark Jones is well within his rights, seeing as it is a head injury, to stop play."

Andy Hinchcliffe:
"It's really patient football from United. The ball comes back towards Wayne Rooney. Is there a foul? Does he get caught? It's Winston Reid up against him. [pauses while watches replay] It's a high boot from Winston Reid. That's why he's complaining. He feels that a penalty should have been given for that. [replay continues on past the incident where we see that the ref is NOT even looking in Rooney's direction] Blind goes to ground far too easily there. Didn't seem to be a foul in there from Fergouli. [VT winds back for another angle in slo-mo that does not even show the ref in picture] This is the one with Reid and Rooney. You can see why the referee has let the game flow :confused: because Reid has got every right to challenge for that ball :houllier:. As Rooney's dipping his head down :nono: - painful one!

Here's a pic of what was on the screen during that last sentence:

Last night was a strange one. The ref stopped the game (supposedly as it was a head injury) but he didn't blow up immediately, although he still reacted well ahead of the cameras or TV commentators that hadn't picked up on it at that point.

On the replays you can see that Jones misses it completely as he's looking at the Blind situation. It's only when he looks back and sees Rooney spreadeagled on the floor that he blows up … not sure if he sees it but the side of Rooney's face with the blood on is admittedly "facing" towards him at this point.

What is far worse to me is the blatantly biased view of the supposedly impartial TV commentators who chose to blame the whole thing on Rooney despite the evidence right in front of their eyes! Even though the replays told a different story they concentrated on Rooney's lack of discipline, previous conduct in receiving a yellow card earlier in the match and even tried to blame the high boot on him :lol:

This is a transcript of their dialogue:

Bill Leslie: "The referee has stopped play to see if Wayne Rooney's OK. Rooney's telling him 'not to stop' in 'no uncertain terms', and having already 'talked his way into one yellow card' he might do well to, er, keep his counsel there. But, as we can see, he has got a cut. And Mark Jones is well within his rights, seeing as it is a head injury, to stop play."

Andy Hinchcliffe:
"It's really patient football from United. The ball comes back towards Wayne Rooney. Is there a foul? Does he get caught? It's Winston Reid up against him. [pauses while watches replay] It's a high boot from Winston Reid. That's why he's complaining. He feels that a penalty should have been given for that. [replay continues on past the incident where we see that the ref is NOT even looking in Rooney's direction] Blind goes to ground far too easily there. Didn't seem to be a foul in there from Fergouli. [VT winds back for another angle in slo-mo that does not even show the ref in picture] This is the one with Reid and Rooney. You can see why the referee has let the game flow :confused: because Reid has got every right to challenge for that ball :houllier:. As Rooney's dipping his head down :nono: - painful one!

Here's a pic of what was on the screen during that last sentence:

Genuine madness. Can't believe the linesman did not see this.

The way perspectives change when its Man Utd leaves me speechless. Its like when people were trying to argue that, despite Monreal putting his arm over Valencia's knees and leading into his thigh, Valencia didn't deserve a penalty against Arsenal because he's strong. :rolleyes:

Before last night I would have said one of ours needed to get karate kicked in the box to win a penalty. After what happened to Rooney its difficult to say what needs to happen. At this rate, someone will go Conor McGregor in the area against us and we still won't get a penalty!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's a load of refereeing decisions every season where we feel a bit hard done by and people spend ages arguing about slow motion replays, which can be perceived in a few different ways. I don't mind that.Refereeing is tricky and they don't have the benefit of slo mo. This season referees seem to be getting stuff wrong that a schoolboy referee could get right. And it seems to be always in favour of our opposition. Stuff like Rooney getting booted in the face, Valencia getting taken out against Arsenal, or Bravo/Adrian going in studs up on Rooney/Ibra that are just so fecking obvious it's really hard to take.

TheReligion

Abusive

I have a horrible feeling we will be on the end of a bad one at Goodison you know. .

SqueakyWeasel

The way perspectives change when its Man Utd leaves me speechless. Its like when people were trying to argue that, despite Monreal putting his arm over Valencia's knees and leading into his thigh, Valencia didn't deserve a penalty against Arsenal because he's strong. :rolleyes:

Before last night I would have said one of ours needed to get karate kicked in the box to win a penalty. After what happened to Rooney its difficult to say what needs to happen. At this rate, someone will go Conor McGregor in the area against us and we still won't get a penalty!
You're definitely right. And, contrary to what I wrote above, I think the ref had a clearer view than the linesman in "real time".

As the picture below shows he had a clear view and WAS looking right at the incident (admittedly the gory action was blind-side) but even so if he turns back two seconds later and Rooney is spreadeagled on the floor showing dental work through his cheek … your first instinct should not be to remind him he's on a yellow for insubordination :houllier:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

When the ref stopped the game, I thought it was to give a penalty.

AN17

Is my understanding that at the present a referee who makes a wrong call gets away with not even a red mark or a negative point in some kind of performance reviewing process by the authorities ? Do they have any kind of accountability ?

Fitchett

Apart from the two obvious incidents of the Adrian assault on Ibrahimovic's knee and Reid's high kick in Rooney's face, there were two more dubious calls in the first half. Obiang bringing down Martial was right on the edge of the penalty area, so should have been a penalty, but Jones bottled that and gave a free kick outside the box. And right in front of me, was Reid sliding in to stop a cross with his arm, which as usual, went unpunished. Zlatan stood there appealing for handball, but Sky didn't even mention it, let alone show a replay.

The Premier League referees are clearly corrupt and have an agenda against Mourinho. The only three decent refs we've had at Old Trafford this season have all been in the Europa League games. Surely, someone at the F.A. must see what's going on and act appropriately. What's David Gill's role these days?

Last edited:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Have a feeling this thread will get bumpet on Sunday.

Josep Dowling

The Premier League referees are clearly corrupt and have an agenda against Mourinho. The only three decent refs we've had at Old Trafford this season have all been in the Europa League games. Surely, someone at the F.A. must see what's going on and act appropriately. What's David Gill's role these days?
Asking for objectivity of referees whilst wondering why an ex-United chief executive is not doing anything about the decisions against us :lol:

I'm fine with us getting some luck finally. We have had some awful calls against us. One in our favour should 'balance it out,' or so I've been told...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The Rojo yellow is the first one I'd consider as bad a call in our favour as the ones we've had against us.

facund

Rojo should've been sent-off in that first half, although Barry might have seen a red as well. But the former is much clearer than the latter. Bad ref, but bad in our favour so far.
Rojo's tackle was bad that much is undeniable and I won't try to defend such actions.

Do you not think that Gueye went in to the tackle in a virtually identical fashion to Rojo, both feet in-front, sliding in to it (thus lacking control). The only real difference that I could see was that Gueye committed to the tackle a split second or so before Rojo. I'd have to see another replay to be sure but both of them were lucky IMO.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Rojo's tackle was bad that much is undeniable and I won't try to defend such actions.

Do you not think that Gueye went in to the tackle in a virtually identical fashion to Rojo, both feet in-front, sliding in to it (thus lacking control). The only real difference that I could see was that Gueye committed to the tackle a split second or so before Rojo. I'd have to see another replay to be sure but both of them were lucky IMO.
Gueye's wasn't 2 footed, one foot was trailing sideways, in my interpretation of it.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Let's be honest, it was a penalty and we should have been down to 10 men early in the first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.