The Remake Draft

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah sounds good to me. I'm not going to plan too deeply as the system is already set and it's all about finding the players for the roles. Given the player pool it's players we are all familiar with so the ideas should already be there.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah, no tactical tweaks and variations allowed which is stated in the OP. So, the basic formation and the overall balance, interplay and ideology of the set-up has to be replicated. You'd be free to show tactical moves (false 9 dropping deep, formation transitions etc) and whatsoever went on in the system in the OP of your match-thread under the 'Specific Tactical Manoeuvres' segment.

So using your example, you have to use 2 withdrawn inside forwards to stay true to the original set-up, instead of tweaking it tactically.
Aye got it formation wise, I've asked an additional clarification over PM for those inside forwards not to clutter the thread additionally.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sounds good, thanks for explanation guys. Is the drafting started then ? I can make the pick now.
I think we can proceed as usual - managers can pick, but the deadline starts after the official draft kick-off?
@Joga Bonito

Official starting time of the drafting process

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I think we can proceed as usual - managers can pick, but the deadline starts after the official draft kick-off?
@Joga Bonito
That should be fine - but wait for Joga to confirm it. He may have some minor details to straighten out first.
Yup, we can go ahead without the deadlines for now and the deadline will officially start as stated initially (25th May 15:00 GMT) but no indirect pressuring or asking people to hurry up if they choose to take their time.

@Tuppet whenever you are ready

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
have 2 questions:
Do i have to replicate that Germany 1990 team from the final or just from the tournament. To clarify, in fair share of games Uwe Bein was a starter while Littbarski was on the bench. Can i pick and choose from them two or i have to go with Littbarski as he played in the final?

Second question is, lets say you need to replicate Barca team with Dani Alves and Abidal as fullbacks. Can i change sides in my team? I would still have the same type of players but because of the pool or some reason i want wingback on the left and fullback on the right which is the opposite of the original team.

harms

Staff
Already drafted a write-up for my first two picks. And now the nervous wait...

Deleted member 101472

I love this draft . Such a good concept . Congrats draft overlords ( calling yourself the committee is a bit odd )

Tuppet

Obvious pick is obvious -

Ronaldo

1) Tuppet - 1. Ronaldo
2) Paulscholes18
3) crappycraperson
4) Downcast
5) harms
6) DavidG
7) Sjor Bepo
8) Gio
9) Enigma_87
10) P-Nut0712
11) Raees/anant
12) NoPace
13) Brwned
14) Kazi
15) EAP
16) MJJ

@paulscholes18

Deleted member 101472

Obvious pick is obvious -

Ronaldo

1) Tuppet - 1. Ronaldo
2) Paulscholes18
3) crappycraperson
4) Downcast
5) harms
6) DavidG
7) Sjor Bepo
8) Gio
9) Enigma_87
10) P-Nut0712
11) Raees/anant
12) NoPace
13) Brwned
14) Kazi
15) EAP
16) MJJ

@paulscholes18
Shock !!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
have 2 questions:
Do i have to replicate that Germany 1990 team from the final or just from the tournament. To clarify, in fair share of games Uwe Bein was a starter while Littbarski was on the bench. Can i pick and choose from them two or i have to go with Littbarski as he played in the final?
You go with the XI provided, simple as that.

If we had gone with a blueprint not featuring final players/positions/roles, that would have looked out of place to an even greater degree. Besides, who would want Littbarski on the bench?

Seriously, though - the blueprints are intended to be the most relevant (graphic) representations of the systems in question. In some cases I'm sure there's a debate to be had over individual players - but for the purpose of this draft, what you work with is the blueprint provided: That XI is the one you're tasked with re-creating - nothing else.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
You go with the XI provided, simple as that.

If we had gone with a blueprint not featuring final players/positions/roles, that would have looked out of place to an even greater degree. Besides, who would want Littbarski on the bench?

Seriously, though - the blueprints are intended to be the most relevant (graphic) representations of the systems in question. In some cases I'm sure there's a debate to be had over individual players - but for the purpose of this draft, what you work with is the blueprint provided: That XI is the one you're tasked with re-creating - nothing else.

no need for explanation chester, understand your point and agree just wanted to be sure.
Can you answer the other question as well? thanks :)

harms

Staff
@paulscholes18 has the easiest formation of the draft IMO. just a standard 4-3-3
There are few individuals who are difficult to replicate though. If he makes first three picks right than it's a smooth ride for him until the end of a drafting.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There are few individuals who are difficult to replicate though. If he makes first three picks right than it's a smooth ride for him until the end of a drafting.
And that's the name of the game. Simply throwing a gang of players together who don't look entirely out of place in the nominal formation won't cut it. You have to draft players who actually resemble the originals in terms of what they bring to the table, on the detail plane - and that's where the debates will arise: On the detail plane. Does your man actually fit the bill?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Second question is, lets say you need to replicate Barca team with Dani Alves and Abidal as fullbacks. Can i change sides in my team? I would still have the same type of players but because of the pool or some reason i want wingback on the left and fullback on the right which is the opposite of the original team.
After much deliberation, it has been decided that switch-a-roos are outlawed.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@paulscholes18 has the easiest formation of the draft IMO. just a standard 4-3-3
It is as much a standard 4-3-3 as a total-footballing Ajax/Holland side is.

It's pretty difficult to replicate the Germany 1972 in terms of getting the personnel and the fluidity spot on. No easy task trying to replicate some of the exhilarating football and the phenomenal movement that that side boasted.

Just to add on to Chester's posts, it most certainly isn't just about replicating the formation, or the ideology alone or the modern player fits - but rather a combination of all these factors in a holistic manner.

NoPace

How are players being judged? 3 year peak or career or what? I know it's about fidelity to the formation, but, to use a name that won't get picked, nobody is going to draft Paul McShane even if he fits a role perfectly.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Chesterlestreet @Joga Bonito

Any reason why you went with the non-Romario Dream Team? I always associate him with the Barca team from the early 90s. Was it to further distinguish it from LVG's Ajax side?
It was simply due to the foreigner rule meaning that only 3 of Koeman, Romario, Stoichkov and Laudrup were on the pitch at the same time. One of them simply couldn't make the cut, and we've decided to go with the more successful (and the more interesting I should add) version of the Dream Team.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

Any reason why you went with the non-Romario Dream Team? I always associate him with the Barca team from the early 90s. Was it to further distinguish it from LVG's Ajax side?
I always find that a bit odd to be honest. He joined a team that had won 3 league titles in a row and a CL and he only had one successful season at the club. He has become the face of a team in a way he really shouldn't be. There's an argument to be had that they were even more entertaining than before in the few games Laudrup, Romario and Stoichkov started together, but overall we're talking about 15-20 games here and barely any big games.

We thought about going with the 'fantasy' formation that is usually used to describe the team even though it never actually happened in reality (the one with all 4 foreigners on the team sheet). But no one else got that kind of freedom and like Joga said, once we had to decide for one of the real formations, it has to be the 1992 one because it's tactically more interesting and because it won Barca their first European Cup.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Someone had to be dropped, I guess.

I'll let Joga and Balu elaborate on this - if they wish to.

But for me, it's an interesting point in itself to bring up the quota: It's a factor not considered in many debates about historical teams (and players), but an extremely tangible one. The so-called Dream Team couldn't field more than three players in a certain category at the same time - that was the reality. Super teams were only relatively so back in the day - and the same quota also meant that teams across the big European leagues were able to land huge players to an extent we don't see today.

That's a slightly different story, though - as for why no Romario, I'll leave that question for the gentlemen mentioned.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
How are players being judged? 3 year peak or career or what? I know it's about fidelity to the formation, but, to use a name that won't get picked, nobody is going to draft Paul McShane even if he fits a role perfectly.
Yeah, just the usual draft standard of a 3 year peak but like you've stated individual quality shouldn't be the focus here. An average player who is a good fit tactically is better than having a great player who is a poor/average fit tactically. However, they could potentially factor in the decision making of vote makers in tight matches etc or determining which manager has done a better job of replicating the balance and player fits of the original side better

Or as Chester put it

I think we simply have to leave the finer calculations to the voters: The basic question is simple: Which team is the best remake. If you, as a voter, think they're equally well/poorly re-created, you have to either call it a draw (as you normally would in a draft), or come up with a deciding factor of some kind.

Personally, I would look at individual quality – but not in the sense you suggest. I'd look at the different roles and to what extent the managers have succeeded in replicating (and perhaps even upgraded on) the individual quality of the original players.

To use a variation on your example, I'd look at the players who actually play the Pelé and Vieri roles: How close is the player in the former role to Pelé? He'll be below that level in all likelihood, but how far below? And the same for the Vieri role: Here the manager may have drafted a player who is closer to the original's level – but given that this level is lower than Pelé's to begin with, you have to factor that in...and so forth.

Kazi

Having a serious problem with one of my players. There is literally no one comparable to him in the modern game.

Kazi

Btw, I love how you've made us a write-up template.

Perhaps should be a template for every draft.