The Remake Draft

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Have received @NoPace and @DavidG write-ups, will start em soon after some minor issues are sorted out.

Get ready your write-ups @Raees , @anant , @crappycraperson (if you are ready for today's match that is, haven't received confirmation from you yet and you also need to make your final two picks mate).
Anant should have it ready. I'm operating on limited wifi atm so won't be able to take part.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Also a note to all managers, when you are sending us your write-ups, please send us two formation pics - one of the set-up with your modern personnel and the one with the historical players that you've been tasked with remaking. For better side by side comparisons.

All OPs will be of the following format -
1: A's write-up.
2: A's two formation pics.
3: B's write-up.
4: B's two formation pics

Also send it to Chester & I so that whoever is free can start the match-up right away.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Have received @NoPace and @DavidG write-ups, will start em soon after some minor issues are sorted out.
DavidG's write-up is done and NoPace just has to send me his two formation pics before we are good to go.

anant/Raees have sent me their write-up for the match and we are waiting for yours @crappycraperson (provided you are on for today)

Match Schedule

12/06 (Sun) - DavidG vs NoPace + Raees/anant vs crappy (pending confirmation)
13/05 (Mon) - paulscholes18/marty1968 vs Tuppet + Downcast vs Sjor Bepo
14/05 (Tue) - harms vs P-Nut0712/mazhar13 + MJJ/Viva vs EAP
15/05 (Wed) - Gio vs Enigma
16/05 (Thu) - Brwned vs Kazi

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Lothar Matthäus at his peak is arguably one of the hardest player of replicate because of the completeness of his game. Now, that term is thrown around quite flippantly these days, but Matthäus is the poster child for complete midfielders, and for good reason. And although there were a few other complete midfielders in the pool, from a skillset comparison standpoint, the more I rewatched Gündogan's games at Dortmund, the more similarities started to emerge. Just to break down Matthäus' skillset into three key segments:

Dribbling:
This is one thing that immediately stands out - his propensity to penetrate the heart of the opposition lines. Lothar was a class apart from a lot of other quality box-to-box midfielders because of that ability to drive relentlessly from the center of the park. Which is something that Ilkay is also very good at:
Dortmund's breakneck speed counter-attacks frequently called for him to carry the ball forward from deeper areas, be elusive, and provide 'rushes' in quick transitions.

Inventive passing:
For all the hustle and bustle, and buzzing around - Matthäus also had a remarkable eye for passes, which also elevated him over other box-to-box players that weren't as strong in this aspect, and not as technically refined. And over the last few years, Gündogan has emerged as one of the best deep/ central midfield passers in European football - and that element of expansive technical ability is what elevated him over someone like Arturo Vidal (another good consideration for the Matthäus role).
And from everywhere on the pitch:

Workrate:
Matthäus's ability to effect all phases of the game is well documented. And Gündogan is one of the best post-modern midfielders when it comes to buzzing all over the pitch in Klopp's infamous Gegenpress setup which called for him to be ultra-mobile in a young, energetic team. That element of dynamism and 'being at several places at once' is going to be key in the West Germany '90 setup.
And in terms of the defensive side of the game:
With the hardworking Ribéry and Turan in front of him, Gündogan will have relative freedom to improvise and become an all-encompassing figure, much like Matthäus had with Littbarski and Häßler. The one big differentiation between Gündogan and Matthäus is their contrasting ability to score goals, but in terms of what he brings to the overall team framework, Gündogan tallies up on most counts.
“Ilkay brings a great attitude,” said Klopp when Gundogan signed. “He has a great passing game, is a complete player, and fits perfectly into our footballing system.”

Šjor Bepo

And few gifs for the two....

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Matthaus vs Yugoslavia and Gundogan vs his former club FC Nurnberg(both only first half actions)

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Have received Sjor's and Downcast's write-up already for today's match and it will start sometime today once Sjor's finalises his write-up.

Have also received Tuppet's write-up and will require your write-up to go ahead with the other match (once the match between DavidG & NoPace is over) @paulscholes18 @Marty1968 .

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@crappycraperson Hope everything is all right on your end as you haven't been active for some time but please fix a date with Raees/anant for your match and pick your final two players. Let me know if you have any issues though.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
About time Tuppet won one of these. Almost always spot on with his draft selections, and tactical implementation - very impressive. Bit unfortunate in that he often comes up against that pesky Joga (I know that feeling very well - wide eyed, gobsmacked like Moyes, preparing for the horror to subside - and all that). Curses @Lady luck! and Edgar Allen Pillow: who did the draw twice.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
About time Tuppet won one of these. Almost always spot on with his draft selections, and tactical implementation - very impressive. Bit unfortunate in that he often comes up against that pesky Joga (I know that feeling very well - wide eyed, gobsmacked like Moyes, preparing for the horror to subside - and all that). Curses @Lady luck! and Edgar Allen Pillow: who did the draw twice.

:lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Have received Sjor's and Downcast's write-up already for today's match and it will start sometime today once Sjor's finalises his write-up.

Have also received Tuppet's write-up and will require your write-up to go ahead with the other match (once the match between DavidG & NoPace is over) @paulscholes18 @Marty1968 .
today 5 pm london time will be good for me if possible

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just a reminder to everyone: If you struggle to keep your write-up within one, single post, you can post additional info in this (main) thread, and just link to the relevant post in your write-up.

Player profiles and all sorts of objective data can be dealt with this way.

Important Announcement regarding tactical changes

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Important Announcement

The draft committee would just like to make a statement regarding substitutions and tactical changes. Simply put, there are no substitutions and tactical changes (role reversals etc) allowed within a match-up. The game is all about recreation/remaking and is not the standard and conventional head-to-head fantasy match format that we are used to. The 12th man is there to allow the manager some room to consider different approaches when selecting his XI - he is not a substitute who can be used as such in the actual match.

We're sorry that this wasn't made explicit from the beginning - but it was always the intention.

Tuppet

:lol::lol: Cheers for kind words. That Joga-facing-knowing-resistance-is-futile-you're-already-lost feeling is totally real.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'll send my stuff early tomorrow - I have all the info (sadly didn't have time to make gifs/videos) ready and just need to fit it into the required format

Deleted member 101472

I don't know how I feel about blocking players in this draft . I want to see the closest possible re-creations and blocking some more players is going to make that really difficult.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Why not? If I swap two players (already on the field) and end up with a better re-make, why is that not allowed?
Well, it's down to the nature of the draft, really. The "game" part of it is all about interpreting the roles of the original players: Who has done the best job in that regard?

It would be unfair on the opponent if a manager was allowed to make changes based on reactions in the match thread: To put it in extreme terms, why should X be rewarded (potentially) for having someone else point out that he's essentially fecked up?

ETA Also, the format is fundamentally different: In a normal draft match you can at least hope that the voters will take some sort of virtual match clock into consideration, i.e. factor in that X made his change Y minutes into the fantasy match. That isn't possible at all here, since there is no fantasy match in the first place.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No no, give me five minutes. Apologies once again.
No problem, man - just make sure to include me in the convo, as I'll likely be the one to start the match.

Also, try to keep the write-up in line with the template provided by Joga in the OP of this thread.