The Remake Draft

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Iconic World Champions are a dime a dozen, one could say, but few can rival the most celebrated representatives of the 4-2-4 for flair and star quality. Another challenging Brazilian blueprint – and this one will be dealt with by @Kazi.

Blueprint: Brazil, 1958.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Ed faces a proper challenge here, there is no doubt about that: How will he emulate the smooth skills of Magic Johnson? The allround magnificence of Michael Jordan? The brains and accuracy of Larry Bird? And how the feck is he going to find anyone tall enough to play Patrick Ewing's part?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Do the positions have to match up to the standard positions that everyone associates with the formation? I have brazil '82 and my left striker pretty much spends his full game on the left wing. If I set the formation up this way though it won't be the classical box formation everyone associates with it?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
For those not familiar with basketball (or football - or both), we feel obliged to make it clear that the team @Edgar Allan Pillow is tasked with remaking is, in fact, the 1992 vintage of the late Johan Cruyff's Dream Team.

Blueprint: Barcelona, 1992.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

And finally, last but definitely not least, a tribute to one of the greatest managerial legends in the history of football: @MJJ and @VivaJanuzaj get the task of recreating Valeriy Lobanovskyi's 1975 Cup Winner's Cup side.

Blueprint: Dynamo Kiev, 1975.

Enigma_87

You know who
ohh, metodo, interesting. I assume I'll receive a blueprint for this as there are a lot of possible modern interpretations on this one

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Great! Was thinking of suggesting it in the next draft thread :drool: Lobanovsky!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Full list of managers/teams:

@Tuppet = Inter Milan, 1964.
@paulscholes18 = West Germany, 1972.
@crappycraperson = AC Milan, 1989.
@Downcast = Juventus, 1984.
@harms = Ajax, 1995.
@DavidG = River Plate, 1941.
@Šjor Bepo = West Germany, 1990.
@Gio = Hungary, 1953.
@Enigma_87 = Italy, 1934.
@P-Nut0712 = Brazil, 1982.
@Raees @anant = Austria, 1932.
@NoPace = Arsenal, 1931.
@Brwned = England, 1966.
@Kazi = Brazil, 1958.
@Edgar Allan Pillow = Barcelona, 1992.
@MJJ @VivaJanuzaj = Dynamo Kiev, 1975.

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

Is there an expectation to justify why the player picked will be able to fulfil the specific role ? Or is that just for voters to decide themselves ?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
ohh, metodo, interesting. I assume I'll receive a blueprint for this as there are a lot of possible modern interpretations on this one
Yes, all managers will get a particular blueprint, i.e. a formation graphic, to work from. I think the best way to do this is to post a list of all of 'em in the OP - but that's for Joga to decide.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Is there an expectation to justify why the player picked will be able to fulfil the specific role ? Or is that just for voters to decide themselves ?
Yes - that will be your main task here, in fact: Why did you pick Player X for Role Y - why would he fit the bill, what traits of his are comparable to those of his historical counterpart, and so forth.

Deleted member 101472

Yes - that will be your main task here, in fact: Why did you pick Player X for Role Y - why would he fit the bill, what traits of his are comparable to those of his historical counterpart, and so forth.
Just making sure that it wasn't only the explanation of the formation and its effectiveness . Thanks for clarification

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Do the positions have to match up to the standard positions that everyone associates with the formation? I have brazil '82 and my left striker pretty much spends his full game on the left wing. If I set the formation up this way though it won't be the classical box formation everyone associates with it?
The magic square is one of the trickier formations out there (as suggested above). However, your remake won't be judged on an illustration alone - the main part is to understand what the roles actually are: You need to pick a player who can perform that striker part (which involves drifting wide and stretching the play, and so on).

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes, all managers will get a particular blueprint, i.e. a formation graphic, to work from. I think the best way to do this is to post a list of all of 'em in the OP - but that's for Joga to decide.
Is that list above the snake order as well or just to decide the teams?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You really should have the no original player rule. Listing 11 outfield players from the teams is not that big a task. Would make things much more interesting.
The d.o.b. cutoff takes care of 99%. The very few who remain will be a bonus * of sorts if you manage to get your hands on them. No players who truly matter to the tactics as such should be eligible here (I think).

* And hardly that. Put it like this: You may land a player or two who did feature, but will they be players you wouldn't want to upgrade anyway?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Is that list above the snake order as well or just to decide the teams?
I'll leave that one for Joga.

When he comes around he'll decide when the clock starts ticking and so forth. Meanwhile, you can just start doing general research.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think anto build pretty successful one before and won a draft (or was it in the final?)
He won it with a 4411 which morphed into a 3-2-3-2 in possession. Sammer played as a proper libero in a back 4 with defensive full-backs who tucked in. Neeskens then pushed forward behind the strikers.

Enigma_87

You know who
The d.o.b. cutoff takes care of 99%. The very few who remain will be a bonus * of sorts if you manage to get your hands on them. No players who truly matter to the tactics as such should be eligible here (I think).

* And hardly that. Put it like this: You may land a player or two who did feature, but will they be players you wouldn't want to upgrade anyway?
I can only think of the Ajax side for 2 players that would possibly get straight in.
He won it with a 4411 which morphed into a 3-2-3-2 in possession. Sammer played as a proper libero in a back 4 with defensive full-backs who tucked in. Neeskens then pushed forward behind the strikers.
aye, I think you are right:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-reality-draft-finals-vivajanuzaj-vs-antohan.397526/

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I eagerly await the players you guys will draft as well as well as the matchups that will happen soon. This is going to be such a great draft! :drool:

harms

Staff

Hm. My side can pick one or two original players. It's boring though

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm going to struggle to get my four midfielders. I've got an idea in my head but there's no doubt a couple will go early. I'm going to stick to the tactics of 82'82 though and have no thought for defense!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

One classic English team followed by another: We all hope comeback kid @Brwned ain't too rusty as he goes to work on re-creating the wingless wondrousness of Alf Ramsey's World Champions.

Blueprint: England, 1966.
Hmm. It's a very familiar team and quite a straightforward, functional setup, so in theory it shouldn't be too difficult. It's very reliant on the two Bobby's to elevate it from functional to formidable, though, and replacing them is a pretty tough ask...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hm. My side can pick one or two original players. It's boring though
Yours is the only one, I think.

We did consider blocking those particular players, but it seemed like overkill. If the manager wants to use them, then fair enough.

It will be a case of drafting a more mature version of the player to play the same part - which means you won't actually be drafting like-for-like: It's a player who can clearly be upgraded - and if you choose to upgrade him with an older version of himself, well, that's what you do, but it's no different from upgrading him with someone else.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's very reliant on the two Bobby's to elevate it from functional to formidable, though, and replacing them is a pretty tough ask...
True. But something similar will be the case for most teams: Replicating individual quality will be impossible in many cases, and the assessment (of how well you've done with the remake) will have to take that into consideration.

The upside to your team is that you can conceivably upgrade several (other) positions in terms of individual quality - and try to gain an edge that way.

harms

Staff
Really struggling with one particular player (and not the one that I though would be a bigger problem, actually) and, looking for an inspiration, stumbled upon this beauty. I thought it was worth a share:

Deleted member 101472

We have to make sure that voters don't just look at the teams otherwise the whole integrity of the draft is ruined . I'm not 100% sure how it works up here , but the one game I was part of in the newfies the voting was restricted to participating players only .

Too much scope for people to look at a 4-2-4 versus a 2-3-5 and just make a decision based on how nuts it would seem to have 2 defenders against 4 attackers

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Too much scope for people to look at a 4-2-4 versus a 2-3-5 and just make a decision based on how nuts it would seem to have 2 defenders against 4 attackers
It will be stressed in all sorts of ways that we're not dealing with regular, draft style fantasy matches: What the voters are to consider is how well the original has been remade, NOT how the XI would fare against the other manager's XI.

If some voters ignore this, or fail to take notice of it - well, there's not much anyone can do about that: We'll see how it unfolds - the concept is experimental, part of the game is that it's uncharted territory. And another part of the game is that the actual "game" aspect is deliberately downplayed: The "who wins" part isn't all that important - the focus should be on discussing the teams on their own merit, as it were.