It's pretty remarkable.

22/23 season - we let go of
Pogba
Matic
Mata
Grant
Cavani
Lingard

which is >£1m worth of wages alone. I haven't included the likes of Andreas as he wasn't a first team member at the time.

We signed Antony, Martinez, Malacia, Eriksen and Casemiro.

23/24 season - we let go of
Ronaldo
de Gea
Telles
Elanga
Jones
with Maguire, McTominay, Fred, Bailly, and Donny still to go.

We've signed Hojlund, Onana, Mount, and Evans (does he count?) with another CB and CM mooted.

So, in the space of 2 years, we've let go of 11 first team players, which could rise to 16.

We've signed 8 which could rise to 10.

We've saved, I'd wager pretty much over £2.5m in terms of wages (de Gea and Ronaldo alone is around £850-900k per week).

There's also been a concerted effort to let some of our academy players go, ply their trade elsewhere, grow with a possible route back to the club with the use of buy backs, and if not, we've got a sell on fee locked in as well.

So, in short - we've become a lot better at retooling the squad since EtH joined. There's more strong decision making, and most importantly, getting these wages off our books (and the odd fee) means we can be more flexible in the market. I just hope he's still here when the parasitic money grubbing cnut owners leave.

Last edited:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Yes, there is good reason to be EnTHusiastic.

Looking at the full picture he's already the best appointment since Fergie retired. It would take a mid season collapse ala Mourinho and Ole for me to even consider to change my mind on this.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's pretty remarkable.

Pogba
Matic
Mata
Grant
Cavani
Lingard
Dan James

which is >£1m worth of wages alone and recouped fees only for Dan James (which I think was around £26m). I haven't included the likes of Andreas as he wasn't a first team member at the time.

Ronaldo
de Gea
Telles
Elanga
Jones

We've signed Hojlund, Onana, Mount, and Evans (does he count?) with another CB and CM mooted.

So, in the space of 2 years, we've let go of 12 first team players, which could rise to 17.

We've saved, I'd wager pretty much over £2.5m in terms of wages (de Gea and Ronaldo alone is around £850-900k per week).

There's also been a concerted effort to let some of our academy players go, ply their trade elsewhere, grow with a possible route back to the club with the use of buy backs, and if not, we've got a sell on fee locked in as well.

So, in short - we've become a lot better at retooling the squad since EtH joined. There's more strong decision making, and most importantly, getting these wages off our books (and the odd fee) means we can be more flexible in the market. I just hope he's still here when the parasitic money grubbing cnut owners leave.
Yeah it’s been great to see. There was a graph recently of EtH and Klopp’s net spend (of course it’s Liverpool the net spend kings) but it’s such a false narrative as EtH had nothing to do with the quality of the squad he inherited, on exorbitant wages. We’ve done well to clear out the squad and in general, sign younger, hungrier players.

On the flip side, Murtough and co get a lot of stick on here but surely they get some of this credit as well.

the_cliff

I think when ETH came in most people would have said our midfield was the weakest part. If we do sign Amrabat and get rid of Mctominay, Fred and DVB.

We've gone from a midfield of:
Bruno
Fred
Lingard
Mata
Matic
Mctominay
Pogba
DVB

To:
Bruno
Eriksen
Casemiro
Amrabat
Mount
Mainoo
Hannibal

That's an incredible turn around in just 2 summer transfer windows, with only Bruno part of the 21/22 midfield that's still part of the 23/24 midfield.

Nogho

Now we just need on pitch success, especially reach later stages in CL and reach top four. And then make this perennial. Then we could be back on track.

Then we have the owner situation…

Denis79

Cavani left under Ragnick and I'm sure more of those you listed didn't leave because of ETH but still agree that the new manager has been very positive for us.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think when ETH came in most people would have said our midfield was the weakest part. If we do sign Amrabat and get rid of Mctominay, Fred and DVB.

We've gone from a midfield of:
Bruno
Fred
Lingard
Mata
Matic
Mctominay
Pogba
DVB

To:
Bruno
Eriksen
Casemiro
Amrabat
Mount
Mainoo
Hannibal

That's an incredible turn around in just 2 summer transfer windows, with only Bruno part of the 21/22 midfield that's still part of the 23/24 midfield.
Think Amrabat plays for Fiorentina mate

the_cliff

Think Amrabat plays for Fiorentina mate
Hence the 'if we do sign Amrabat and get rid of Mctominay, Fred and DVB'

Fred and DVB leaving is looking likely, Mctominay is not so certain but I think we do get Amrabat in once Fred and DVB are gone, regardless of Mctominay.

quadrant

Key thing is, I can't really disagree with any of the players that are going or gone. United have had this thing for years where we have players who are almost good enough but not quite. Either they're occasionally outstanding, but not often enough (like Pogba) or they're solid but just not title-winning quality (like McT). Its been good enough to get top 4, maybe even the occasional 2nd if other teams do badly, without ever being close to winning it. I feel like ETH has raised the bar in terms of how good you need to be to get in the team, a lot of players are now falling under it and he's just shipping them out. He's in a hurry.

So far so good, but the next step is for the new recruits to show that they're definitely better. Its one thing shipping out underperforming players, its another thing getting in new ones and developing a title winning mindset.

justsomebloke

It's pretty remarkable.

Pogba
Matic
Mata
Grant
Cavani
Lingard
Dan James

which is >£1m worth of wages alone and recouped fees only for Dan James (which I think was around £26m). I haven't included the likes of Andreas as he wasn't a first team member at the time.

Ronaldo
de Gea
Telles
Elanga
Jones

So, in the space of 2 years, we've let go of 12 first team players, which could rise to 17.

Not that I'm disagreeing with the sentiment, but I don't think EtH had a lot of influence on the summer 22/23 departures (which, as above poster pointed out, did not include Dan James). I'm sure he was very much involved in the decision to terminate CR, although CR largely forced that himself. Jones was pretty much an automatic departure once his contract expired, and he would have been more or less impossible to move before that, given his injury status.

So it basically really boils down to de Gea, Elanga and Telles so far, if what we're talking about is EtHs ability to decide and act on outgoings. It's a start. If we end up adding Maguire, Henderson, Fred, Bailly and Donny to that, I'll be happy. If he moves McTominay too, I'll be more than happy.

Oranges038

In all honesty this had to be done. Anybody with any semblance of common sense would have done something similar.

There's still many more players who need to go too. I said earlier in the year you could get rid of about 14/15 players and replace them with 4/5 quality additions.

So far in we have Onana,Mount & Hojlund.

Out we have DDG, Telles, Jones, Elanga & Tuanzebe.

Another 2 or 3 in and another 7 or 8 out the door and it's been a good summer.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The Murtough effect.

EtH would never have been backed this well by Woodward.
I think there's some truth in that - but I also think that EtH has a firm plan, and knows what he needs to succeed which in turns makes Murtough's job easier. But credit is due to Murtough (and Fletcher) as well.
Not that I'm disagreeing with the sentiment, but I don't think EtH had a lot of influence on the summer 22/23 departures (which, as above poster pointed out, did not include Dan James). I'm sure he was very much involved in the decision to terminate CR, although CR largely forced that himself. Jones was pretty much an automatic departure once his contract expired, and he would have been more or less impossible to move before that, given his injury status.

So it basically really boils down to de Gea, Elanga and Telles so far, if what we're talking about is EtHs ability to decide and act on outgoings. It's a start. If we end up adding Maguire, Henderson, Fred, Bailly and Donny to that, I'll be happy. If he moves McTominay too, I'll be more than happy.
As above - I think it helps when a manager with a firm plan comes in and says 'these are the players I need - these profiles, attributes, and these are the ones I don't need' etc etc. So, it makes Murtough's job easier as he knows who needs to move on (or not to renew).

There were significant backroom changes prior to EtH joining, and I think the appointment of Rangnick (although not a success) was a step in the direction of clear decision making and aiming for an overall strategic goal.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hence the 'if we do sign Amrabat and get rid of Mctominay, Fred and DVB'

Fred and DVB leaving is looking likely, Mctominay is not so certain but I think we do get Amrabat in once Fred and DVB are gone, regardless of Mctominay.
Don’t expect me to read the whole post

Skills

Snitch
It's the money as well. We spent over £200m last season and £160m-ish so far this season.

Now with all of our previous managers, all of their squad building was rated as brilliant or genius. As a fanbase we're still in the manager shits gold phase of ETH's tenure.

The proof will be in the pudding in a few years time, when people will begin to look at things more objectively.

Just read the start of this thread to see what people thought of Ole's signings at first:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-long-until-oles-signings-also-join-the-deadwood-list.451638/

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I hope Todibo and Amrabat are bought as well, then the squad has transformed truly a lot.

Then we can think about improving our squad depth - RB is still weak, RW as well.

Eriksen, Martial, AWB and Sancho might be next ones out of the door.

justsomebloke

It's the money as well. We spent over £200m last season and £160m-ish so far this season.

Now with all of our previous managers, all of their squad building was rated as brilliant or genius. As a fanbase we're still in the manager shits gold phase of ETH's tenure.

The proof will be in the pudding in a few years time, when people will begin to look at things more objectively.

Just read the start of this thread to see what people thought of Ole's signings at first:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-long-until-oles-signings-also-join-the-deadwood-list.451638/
Good point, that.

Tarrou

what a buzzkill

tomaldinho1

What I have liked most is the only player we have actually bought for a large sum who is older is Casemiro who is among the best in his position in the world + was a position we had been in dire need of for years. Eriksen was on a free and we've had a couple of stop gap loans (Dubravka, Wout). I guess Onana is 28 which is quite young for a keeper but maybe falls into this category as well.

Let's not beat around the bush though, he is being backed well. My original thought is next season we have to be challenging everywhere, that hasn't changed but this season we have to aiming for a good CL showing, pushing for 2nd in the league and hopefully do well in the FA cup.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What I have liked most is the only player we have actually bought for a large sum who is older is Casemiro who is among the best in his position in the world + was a position we had been in dire need of for years. Eriksen was on a free and we've had a couple of stop gap loans (Dubravka, Wout). I guess Onana is 28 which is quite young for a keeper but maybe falls into this category as well.

Let's not beat around the bush though, he is being backed well. My original thought is next season we have to be challenging everywhere, that hasn't changed but this season we have to aiming for a good CL showing, pushing for 2nd in the league and hopefully do well in the FA cup.
He's 27.

I hope Todibo and Amrabat are bought as well, then the squad has transformed truly a lot.

Then we can think about improving our squad depth - RB is still weak, RW as well.

Eriksen, Martial, AWB and Sancho might be next ones out of the door.
AWB is getting a new contract and a pay rise as per all of the reports yesterday

Someone

Something
The fact that the majority of those players have failed to find success anywhere else is telling of how bad our recruitment was. Liverpool under Klopp went through a similar transformation. Their league winning team was unrecognizable from the one Klopp inherited.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
So there was some truth with Rangnick when he said 'open heart surgery' '10 first team signings' etc.

hobbers

So there was some truth with Rangnick when he said 'open heart surgery' '10 first team signings' etc.
Rangnick just pointed out what all those who were not totally deluded already knew.

You can’t win titles, or qualify for the CL, with lindelof and maguire in defence, Mcfred in midfield, or 38 year old has beens up front.

justsomebloke

I've been used to mentally sorting our squad in five categories:

a. Players who have shown enough you think they would be an integral part of the first XI when United becomes good enough to contend for a title (Currently and IMV, Rashford, Bruno, Casemiro, Martinez, Varane, Shaw)
b. Players who have shown enough you think they would be good squad players when United becomes good enough to contend for a title (Currently, Lindelof and Eriksen. And AWB apparently, judging from what is now being written)
c. Players who haven't proven either yet, but has shown enough to make you think they realistically might, (or are very recently arrived) and so should be stuck with for now (Currently Onana, Mount, Garnacho, Antony and Hojlund as potential grade A's, and Pellistri, Amad, Malacia and Mainoo as potential grade B's.)
d. Players where we would be better off upgrading if we can (Currently Heaton, Dalot, Sancho and Martial)
e. Players with no future. (Currently Henderson, Maguire, Williams, Fred, McTominay and van de Beek).

If I go back to the end of our 2nd place season in 20/21, I would have considered only Rashford and Bruno to be clear-cut category A, while cases could be made for Maguire, Shaw and Greenwood. Now there's six clear-cut ones, and it's not that hard to see another 2 or 3 getting there by the end of the season. I suppose that's looking like progress.

cyberman

Hope the Maguire replacement is a top star for the future and not someone suitable to be 4th choice

cyberman

Cavani left under Rangnick and I'm sure more of those you listed didn't leave because of ETH but still agree that the new manager has been very positive for us.
Wouldn’t they have left with permission from Ten Hag though? I’m sure they were vetted through the new manager before not offering them contracts. Pretty sure Pogba falls under that category

Skills

Snitch
Wouldn’t they have left with permission from Ten Hag though? I’m sure they were vetted through the new manager before not offering them contracts. Pretty sure Pogba falls under that category
They were gone regardless of us offering deals or not.

Marwood

Ole, LvG and Mourinho all to large extents identified the right positions to be strengthened.

That hasn't been our problem.

It's all about how good the players coming in are. So right now the reshaping of the squad this summer is an unknown.

Appletonred

To be honest, Rangnick was right when he said the squad needed major surgery, clearly Ten Hag is now performing exactly that, with the amount of departures and arrivals
in the past twelve months.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If he gets rid of McFred after 1 year I’ll hail him as a god.

TehRed

He's reshaping the squad and the club in exactly the way that he needed to when we first got him. Looks like he's being backed by the club to make the changes he deems necessary. The majority of us said he'd be transformative if he was allowed to be, and so far he has been allowed. We just need to see all of this translate to further success on the pitch now.