The Soprano's *Contains multiple spoilers*

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just working my way through Season 2 and I have to say that this is TV at its finest.

The whole fecking crew is brilliant. Couldn't pick a favourite character if I tried. I find the Shrink Melfi a tad annoying though. All the supporting character are great as well ... Uncle Jun is funny as hell with his dialogue delivery and AJ cracks me up every time. Great great show !!
Melfi is a great character, the way her morals and her emotions clash is some of the later episodes in particular is fantastic.

Alex

Melfi is a great character, the way her morals and her emotions clash is some of the later episodes in particular is fantastic.
Yeah Melfi is the best female character by far, the one I cant stand although her character is decent enough is Carmela, fecking hate her whiney voice

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
Yeah Melfi is the best female character by far, the one I cant stand although her character is decent enough is Carmela, fecking hate her whiney voice
i used to think the same, but the show wouldnt be the same without certain characters and i'd regard her as one of the most important!!

if tony had an absoloutely stunning young wife it wouldnt be realistic, there trying to keep it real with the main characters being married to other italians of similar backgrounds and ages, itd be too easy to put tony and the rest of them with some random piece of ass, but with carmela it brings more of a realistic shine to tonys character and helps with getting the whole image of him being a family guy across IMHO.

Alex

There is no doubting her importance, I just hated her voice, she could have been smoking but that voice breaks windows. TOOOOOOOOOONY or ANTHHHHONNNNNNNNY!!

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
I've been re-watching it over the past few days.I forgot how funny the show is. Some of the lines had me in tears: "There's no stigmata attached to it", "Create a little dysentery among the ranks" etc.

Adriana: A long time ago, years ago, I had a medical procedure. It was before we met. My uterus got pierced.
Christopher: Both of 'em?

But my personal favourite is 'Little' Carmine Lupertazzi. He only pops up every now and then, but every time is priceless:
"The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective."

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
How can Carmela be decent? She is one of the worst female characters on the show. She knows full well where the money comes from, but she likes the comfort and presents too much to do anything about it. Disgusting.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I've loaned the box sets to a mate and I've watched quite a few with him as he's going, it really is bloody brilliant. Sometimes he'll have watched a few eps and I'll ask him where he's at and it's mad just how much is going on in a single episode.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How can Carmela be decent? She is one of the worst female characters on the show. She knows full well where the money comes from, but she likes the comfort and presents too much to do anything about it. Disgusting.
That's pretty much the whole point of her character :confused:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You mean as in a good person? Fair enough, I though you were saying hers was a bad character. The battle between her demons and angels is quite an interesting part of the show for me, just a shame about her voice!

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
You mean as in a good person? Fair enough, I though you were saying hers was a bad character. The battle between her demons and angels is quite an interesting part of the show for me, just a shame about her voice!
I think she was a great character in the sense that in humanised Tony alot. An absolute wreck the head wear out bitch I agree but her impact on some of the shows main characters is what essentially makes her imo
Yeah, I meant as a person. I agree that her character was top notch writing. Remember the scene between Tony and that real estate agent (another horrible woman) when Tony remember Carmela taking care of him? Great moment in the series.

Bear Attack

I need something to watch now I am done Dexter. Should I watch the Sopranos or The Wire? I previously tried watching The Wire but after 4-5 episodes, I gave it a rest because I didn't really find it that appealing. Should I give The Wire another go or download the Sopranos?

Alex

Do The Sopranos, I love them both, but The Sopranos edges it for me.

Care_de_Bobo

I need something to watch now I am done Dexter. Should I watch the Sopranos or The Wire? I previously tried watching The Wire but after 4-5 episodes, I gave it a rest because I didn't really find it that appealing. Should I give The Wire another go or download the Sopranos?
I absolutely loved The Wire but The Sopranos is the best show I've ever seen. The Sopranos covers more themes and is a bit more humorous, therefore more accessible but still with great depth, especially for me in terms of character development(most of them anyway).

I can say that I appreciate both equally but I enjoyed the former more.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We finally started watching this yesterday but the missus got bored half way through the first episode so we stopped. It seemed OK if slow to me which isn't necessarily surprising since it was only the first episode. The missus got bored of The Wire half way through episode 3 or 4 and we haven't got back to it yet either.

I'll try to reintroduce both series again during the summer holiday as she will be less sleep deprived then. We also have the whole of the last series of Dexter to watch (which she loves). Plus about 50 films.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I watched both Sopranos and The Wire and the one I prefered is the Sopranos.These shows require patience, they don't start off brilliantly but they get really really fecking good

The_Red_Hope

They're both brilliant shows but the Wire just about edges it for me. Like others have said, they're not as easy to get into as other shows and require a bit of perseverance but they pay-off is immense.

Cina

I absolutely loved The Wire but The Sopranos is the best show I've ever seen. The Sopranos covers more themes and is a bit more humorous, therefore more accessible but still with great depth, especially for me in terms of character development(most of them anyway).

I can say that I appreciate both equally but I enjoyed the former more.
Err...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
We finally started watching this yesterday but the missus got bored half way through the first episode so we stopped. It seemed OK if slow to me which isn't necessarily surprising since it was only the first episode. The missus got bored of The Wire half way through episode 3 or 4 and we haven't got back to it yet either.

I'll try to reintroduce both series again during the summer holiday as she will be less sleep deprived then. We also have the whole of the last series of Dexter to watch (which she loves). Plus about 50 films.
Like Kouroux says both shows need patience to start off, especially more than half way though the first episode! Try and convince her to persevere with it for the first full season, there are only 13 episodes and I'm sure she'll get in to it by then, the whole series is immense.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The Sopranos is better than The Wire, though I love both. Probably the best TV show of all time.

Cina

The Sopranos is better than The Wire, though I love both. Probably the best TV show of all time.
In your opinion.

The constant comparisons between the two are getting almost as annoying as the Ronaldo v Messi comparisons.

Who gives a feck which is better, they're both pretty much TV perfection, it just depends on certain aspects for certain people, i.e. do you prefer to watch a show about an Italian Mafia, or the drug/police scene is a rough American City. They both have amazing characters, therefore some people will prefer Stringer Bell, others will prefer Ralphie or whomever.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
In your opinion.

The constant comparisons between the two are getting almost as annoying as the Ronaldo v Messi comparisons.

Who gives a feck which is better, they're both pretty much TV perfection, it just depends on certain aspects for certain people, i.e. do you prefer to watch a show about an Italian Mafia, or the drug/police scene is a rough American City. They both have amazing characters, therefore some people will prefer Stringer Bell, others will prefer Ralphie or whomever.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
In your opinion.

Well yeah, obviously it's my opinion, that goes without saying.

I think the reason The Sopranos is better is that there are interesting existential themes running beneath the plot which aren't so prominent in The Wire.

Red_Aaron

and the guy that bumped the thread did ask which of the 2 shows he should watch, so people stating which one they felt was the better was a pefectly natural response really

the sopranos is the best tv show ever for me, the wire a very close second. both are truly brilliant television

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm very relaxed. Look at all of this and The Wire thread, and you'll see how much of it is dedicated to saying which is better than the other.

Give a feck.
Somebody asked which they should watch, so I guess yea he does give a feck, and opinions on which is better are natural in response to such a question. If you don't want to debate it that's fine but having a pop at those who are responding to the question isn't really needed.

United87

Both are far superior to Dexter, if I had to go with one it would be Sopranos.

Just to be clear..

Sopranos > The Wire.

1. The Sopranos.
2. The Wire.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I absolutely loved The Wire, it was class, but The Sopranos is in a different league.

It's not The Wire's fault, it's basically is a cop show - it's a very clever cop show but in the end that's what it is. It's got a very broad canvas with a lot of major characters, it's not possible for them all to be that real or well drawn. In fact there is only one that's on the level of the main Sopranos characters - Bubbles, and that's only because the actor's absolutely amazing and brings a lot extra to the role.

The Sopranos is the best TV series there's been, you end up knowing those characters like your family. And I'm only on season 4...

My only gripe with it is the shrink scenes... I don't think she's a great actress and I don't think those scenes are written very believably.

Bear Attack

I just finished season one and I have to say this show is absolutely top drawer. It did not have the cringeworthy slow start as many HBO shows do and as previously mentioned, all the storylines flow together so nicely. I have no doubts in my mind with regard to the quality of The Wire but from what I've seen (of which one can argue is not nearly enough for both shows), The Sopranos is clearly the superior series.