The Soprano's *Contains multiple spoilers*

Alex

Agree with you mate, not much in it. Good luck on Season 2 where you get to meet Good Ole Richie Aprile.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
I've been watching all my DVD collections of late and have just started again on the Sopranos, whilst I found it compulsive viewing when I first watched it I only truely appreciate how good it is now.

Saying that as soon as Janice appears that will probably change.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Whatever people say about Ritchie Aprille, Uncle Junior, Paulie etc, the standout character and performance I've always thought to be Livia Soprano - she was epic.

Leg-End

One character I wish we would have seen more of is Walden, dude was late to the party but he could have been great as a sidekick to Paulie.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Christopher was up there amongst the strongest characters for me, the development from start to finish was outstanding.

Alex

Chris probably has the biggest arc in the show other than Tony, I really enjoyed Chris as a character and think that Imperioli did a hell of a job on the show. He was such a tragic figure, hell most of the people on the show were. I really liked how Chris was treated as Tony's protege from the word go, I really think that the relationship between those two was one of the best on the show, amazing how it culminates towards the end.

Alex

How dare you. That scene when he's chatting about the cat that stares at Chris's photo was great.
The symbolism of it was the best part, but I dont think that you can really judge him as a character you just dont see enough of him only a few eps, no doubt whacking Leotardo was sick

Leg-End

True, kinda weird how they just brang him in one episode with no real introduction and he gets the main whacking of the series.

Alex

True, kinda weird how they just brang him in one episode with no real introduction and he gets the main whacking of the series.
Eh, you overrate Phil, Janice whacking Richie was just as big, Tony killing Chris evoked more emotion, and on and on. Part of the reason they had to bring him in was that everyone else was gone, Chrissy was dead by this point, Bobby was assassinated, Sil incapacitated, etc.

Cina

Guys, there's going to be people coming into this thread who haven't seen the show before, you should really spoiler that, some of it's related to the final season for feck sake.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Me too started season 1 in January and finished season 6 last week. Amazing show.

The ending was a tad annoying but I assume he got taken out

shaydun

I'm finishing my second run of the wire, gonna restart the sopranos when I'm done with it.
One of my favourite scenes ever is
when Christopher's friends and family come together to try to get him to go to rehab. Tony freaking out over the death of Adriana's dog is one of the funniest things in the whole series IMO

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I've been meaning to watch the whole thing again.

One of my favourite episodes is when Pauly and Christopher get lost in the woods.... comedy gold.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
That pinewoods one was a classic.

But most of my favourites were the episodes envolving certain characters being killed off. Some amazing moments

Alex

Oh baby yeah, the theme is kicking on, been waiting a while to go through this show for the fourth time

Cina

That pinewoods one was a classic.
“The guy killed 16 Czechoslovakians and he's an interior decorator”. :lol:

Possibly one of the funniest TV moments ever. I think that was the greatest episode of them all. It just had everything.

Also, you spastics, SPOILER YOUR feckING POSTS.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Agreed on the spoilers, there's loads of them on this page that'd feck it up for people who've not watched yet!

I'm half way through season 2 rewatching The Wire, when I've done with that I'm starting Sopranos again for definite, just reading that Paulie quote from Pinewoods makes me need to see them all again!

Plan M

Best tv series ever, I was addicted to it. I watched the whole thing through 3 times and am about to start it again soon.

I can explain the ending, or rather my take of the ending, to anyone who is interested (in spoilers of course )

There are a lot of symbolic and metaphorical (sp?) images used in the final scene i.e.

The big painting behind Tony and family in the diner is Jesus Christ's "The Last Supper". This is portraying that Tony does get shot as does his daughter when she walks in.

:)

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Best tv series ever, I was addicted to it. I watched the whole thing through 3 times and am about to start it again soon.

I can explain the ending, or rather my take of the ending, to anyone who is interested (in spoilers of course )

There are a lot of symbolic and metaphorical (sp?) images used in the final scene i.e.

The big painting behind Tony and family in the diner is Jesus Christ's "The Last Supper". This is portraying that Tony does get shot as does his daughter when she walks in.

:)
There's a big long essay online that broke down the ending using the camerawork and it's so well broken down that it actually seems rather definitive. It's probably old news to most of you but I found it fascinating.

Basically there's a pattern established as people walk into the diner, starting with Tony himself. You hear the bell, you see Tony's face, then you see what Tony sees. Over and over again this happens when either insignificant characters walk in or when AJ and Carmela walk in. Bell, face, Tony's point of view.

Then towards the end you see the guy in the Member's Only jacket walking to the bathroom. The camerawork has given this guy an unusual amount of attention by this point, but here you see him walk by Tony and then down a hallway to the bathroom door. The way the camera is lined up you can clearly see that from Tony's head to the bathroom door is a completely unobstructed straight line path.

Finally at the end you get the same shot pattern as Meadow walks in. Bell, Tony's face, what Tony sees: pitch black. If you think back to the conversation Tony had with Bobby on the boat and it just seems like there's too many signs to ignore.

Plan M

There's a big long essay online that broke down the ending using the camerawork and it's so well broken down that it actually seems rather definitive. It's probably old news to most of you but I found it fascinating.

Basically there's a pattern established as people walk into the diner, starting with Tony himself. You hear the bell, you see Tony's face, then you see what Tony sees. Over and over again this happens when either insignificant characters walk in or when AJ and Carmela walk in. Bell, face, Tony's point of view.

Then towards the end you see the guy in the Member's Only jacket walking to the bathroom. The camerawork has given this guy an unusual amount of attention by this point, but here you see him walk by Tony and then down a hallway to the bathroom door. The way the camera is lined up you can clearly see that from Tony's head to the bathroom door is a completely unobstructed straight line path.

Finally at the end you get the same shot pattern as Meadow walks in. Bell, Tony's face, what Tony sees: pitch black. If you think back to the conversation Tony had with Bobby on the boat and it just seems like there's too many signs to ignore.
Nice find mate, very interesting.

redspoony

“The guy killed 16 Czechoslovakians and he's an interior decorator”. :lol:

Possibly one of the funniest TV moments ever. I think that was the greatest episode of them all. It just had everything.

Also, you spastics, SPOILER YOUR feckING POSTS.
"Woah...his place looked like shit."

Alex

"Woah...his place looked like shit."
:lol:

Going through Season 1 again, it's amazing the change in Jr between Season 1 as Tony's rival and Season 6 as Tony's drooling retarted uncle, the funny thing is the latter proved to be more of a challenge for T :lol:

Alex

Haha watching The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti and Chris is hilarious he shoots the guy in the foot a reenactment in some ways of what hapened to him in Goodfellas. He also gets pissed off that he is not indicted hahaha, oh Christopher you came and you gave without taking haha

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Easily the greatest television series of all time, each episode has atleast a couple of great moments, some of them - are just sheer brilliance; the college episode was immense, as was the one set in the forest. The depth of character intrigue was exceptional, as was the arcs in relationships.

One of my favourites was the Tony / Bobby Bacala arc.

My favourite characters:

1.) Paulie
2.) Silvio/Tony
3.) Bobby
4.) Uncle Jun
5.) Ralphie/Chrissy

Alex

Just finished Season 1 loved how the finale is entitled "I Dream of Jeannie Cusamono" because Tony has been having sex dreams of his neighbor, who he describes as having a big as to Melfi, Melfi who knows Jeannie says she is actually a petite woman classic, it amusing though considering all the big things that happen in that finale

Alex

Easily the greatest television series of all time, each episode has atleast a couple of great moments, some of them - are just sheer brilliance; the college episode was immense, as was the one set in the forest. The depth of character intrigue was exceptional, as was the arcs in relationships.

One of my favourites was the Tony / Bobby Bacala arc.

My favourite characters:

1.) Paulie
2.) Silvio/Tony
3.) Bobby
4.) Uncle Jun
5.) Ralphie/Chrissy
One of the best lines in the show is in maybe season 4 I believe when Bobby and Veto are standing next to each other and either Tony or Chris goes, "Let me guess your the before, and youre(to Vito) are the way way before" haha

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I read the other day that David Praval, the actor who played Richie Aprille, auditioned for the role of Tony Soprano when the programme was first beginning and was turned down because he was too convincing in the role.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Not sure how an actor can be too convincing in a role and not get it but its a good story I guess.

Anyway my favourite line comes in the episode with Jon Favreau(D-Girl) where Christopher say about Favreau:

"Swingers!! He can suck my dick, it swings too"

Great line.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I read the other day that David Praval, the actor who played Richie Aprille, auditioned for the role of Tony Soprano when the programme was first beginning and was turned down because he was too convincing in the role.
Too convincing? How does that work?!

It's difficult to say with hindsight with things like this but I don't think he would have made a good Tony. He was brilliant as Richie.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Too convincing? How does that work?!

It's difficult to say with hindsight with things like this but I don't think he would have made a good Tony. He was brilliant as Richie.
That's the crazy thing. Check out the Inside the Actor's Studio interview with James Gandolfini on youtube. He actually says that he didn't feel he was right for the role of a mob boss because he felt like his image and build didn't fit at all with how he felt a mob boss should look. But now if anyone were to mention the mafia and mob bosses to me, James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano will forever be the first thing that pops in my head.

So I would guess the Richie situation would be the case where he fit too well into the traditional image of a mob boss. If you're too perfect in that role, it would make it extremely difficult for them to show the internal psychological conflict that has made the series so powerful. All those sessions with Dr. Melfi would've been a bit weaker and all that family man stuff too.

Part of what made this show so great for me on my first viewing was the fact that there's maybe one or two characters in the entire show that I don't find frustratingly annoying or utterly despicable as a human being. Yet they're all fascinating characters because they all show a bit of themselves that I can actually relate to. These are real feckin people just like all of us. They just happen to do something illegal for a living and execute their own form of justice by the gun.

Alex

Richie was great, a great season he had as did Tony B, Steve Buscemi did great in that role