The Soprano's *Contains multiple spoilers*

Biscuit1871

Just finished watching season 1 and yes it was very good.

However, i wouldn't say it is one of the best TV series of all time, as many of you on here have claimed. Is there something im missing? Does it getter better as seasons go on?

Cina

However, i wouldn't say it is one of the best TV series of all time, as many of you on here have claimed. Is there something im missing? Does it getter better as seasons go on?
You can't judge how good a show is based on one season now in fairness.

It gets much better as it goes along, seasons 3 and 4 in particular. Season 1 is generally just setting all the characters and plot lines up.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Great show, watched the whole thing over the last year or so. But yeah, wouldn't call it the best I've ever seen, but still is fantastic television.

Couldn't watch more than one or two in a sitting though, can be bloody depressing at times. But that's part of the beauty of it.

DouLou

Been caught pooping

Hmm I think it would be better to judge it once you've seen all the seasons. I wouldn't say it gets better, but as the series progresses you naturally get more invested in it and it leaves a better impression.

I'd put it below The Wire as the second best thing I've seen on TV, and I've seen most the 'best' dramas from the past 10 years or so.

What would you put above The Sopranos at the moment?

redspoony

You can't judge how good a show is based on one season now in fairness.

It gets much better as it goes along, seasons 3 and 4 in particular. Season 1 is generally just setting all the characters and plot lines up.
I thought season 3 was depressing as hell:

Dr Melfi getting raped etc. The episode where Paulie and Christopher were lost in the woods was a classic though!

Stick with it man, it does get much better, and there's some really good stuff to come.

Cina

Hmm I think it would be better to judge it once you've seen all the seasons. I wouldn't say it gets better, but as the series progresses you naturally get more invested in it and it leaves a better impression.

I'd put it below The Wire as the second best thing I've seen on TV, and I've seen most the 'best' dramas from the past 10 years or so.

Personally I'd put Rome, Oz and Deadwood ahead of it too.

HsJ

Watched the whole thing, thought seasons 3-5 were better than the rest. not enough action as I'd like though, so it wasn't really the type of TV i'd usually watch

Biscuit1871

Dexter and Prison Break. Loved both those series.

Don't get me wrong, i did really quite enjoy The Sopranos, and it is better than 99% of the bull shit that is on these days. Just it didn't really have that wow factor, nor the twists and turns that both Dexter and Prison Break offer. Its pretty much what i expected it to be, before watching it.

Have season 2 on the download now, so will definitely continue watching it.

Count Duckula

Don't get me wrong, i did really quite enjoy The Sopranos, and it is better than 99% of the bull shit that is on these days. Just it didn't really have that wow factor, nor the twists and turns that both Dexter and Prison Break offer. Its pretty much what i expected it to be, before watching it.

Dexter isn't fit to shine The Soprano's boots.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Dexter is a cool show but a leage below Sopranos really.. and Prison Break is just popcorn TV. But different tastes and all that.

Biscuit1871

Yeah, i guess it is just different tastes. I found the sopranos all too predictable.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Yeah, i guess it is just different tastes. I found the sopranos all too predictable.
Oh the Sopranos is anything but predictable! It has some big suprises in store for you. Keep watching it mate, I think as you work through the seasons it will grow on you more.

Biscuit1871

Thats what i was hoping. That season 1 just outlines the characters and explains back stories, and that the next seasons have many more twists.

That is good.

Leg-End

Do not judge The Sopranos on 1 season, especially the first, in fact the first season almost seems a bit day time tv at times but it kicks on from Season 2.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.

It doesn't do wow or twists and turns, it does relatively real life machinations in a Jersey mob sub-family and very real life relationships in an actual family whose father is in "Waste Management".
Brilliantly written, shot and acted. A masterpiece, but a serious piece of work.
Dexter and Prison Break and totally different kinds of drama and far more light, not that that's a bad thing, just different.
Watch the whole thing from start to finish, preferably on DVD in high quality and you may have done yourself a huge favour. If it's not your bag then you've only wasted a few days...
I think it IS the best thing I've seen on US TV, I Claudius is still without peer for me on UK TV. The Wire, Deadwood and Oz are all favourites of mine too.
Thank fuq, however, that we all have differing tastes.

Oh, and there's no apostrophe in Sopranos, it's a plural. Sorry...

Alex

Just keep watching...

Biscuit1871

It doesn't do wow or twists and turns, it does relatively real life machinations in a Jersey mob sub-family and very real life relationships in an actual family whose father is in "Waste Management".
Brilliantly written, shot and acted. A masterpiece, but a serious piece of work.
Dexter and Prison Break and totally different kinds of drama and far more light, not that that's a bad thing, just different.
Watch the whole thing from start to finish, preferably on DVD in high quality and you may have done yourself a huge favour. If it's not your bag then you've only wasted a few days...
I think it IS the best thing I've seen on US TV, I Claudius is still without peer for me on UK TV. The Wire, Deadwood and Oz are all favourites of mine too.
Thank fuq, however, that we all have differing tastes.

Oh, and there's no apostrophe in Sopranos, it's a plural. Sorry...
Yeah will definitely carry on watching am planning on giving the wire ago also, as I've only heard good things about it.

And yeah, realised there was no need for an apostrophe after writing the title.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Better than The Wire for me. Better than any other TV show actually.

VP

I haven't even seen it but i can't possibly imagine it being better than the Wire. In fact i can't think of any TV series being better than the Wire.

GloryHunter07

Love this show, its far better than almost anything out there. Keep watching it. Ive watched it through twice now, Tony almost becomes part of your life!

HsJ

Is The Wire that good? I have seasons 1 and 2, and haven't watched any of it. I got it on recommendation from a mate, and just haven't found the time to watch it.

vuc

First Team Serb
I've just started on the Wire - 8 episodes in and its very promising. It has very good plot development and character development. Recommend it for sure.

Sopranos is legendary - Tony Soprano = one of the icons of TV.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Is The Wire that good? I have seasons 1 and 2, and haven't watched any of it. I got it on recommendation from a mate, and just haven't found the time to watch it.
yep it's something else, up to the end of season 4. bum notes in season 5. And it doesn't have the - ever decreasing in quality - Dr Melfi sub plot. the Sopranos' one weakness for me.

HsJ

yep it's something else, up to the end of season 4. bum notes in season 5. And it doesn't have the - ever decreasing in quality - Dr Melfi sub plot. the Sopranos' one weakness for me.
May give it a look, cheers dumbo

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I may well start watching it again from scratch now that the winters on the way back

Biscuit1871

Just finished season 2. Am liking it, but still.... i don't quite see it's stand out features.

Plan M

Best series ever. I've got the boxset and finished watching it all the way through for the second time on Sunday.

Love it and am gutted it's over.

Sopranos and 24 are both spectacular tv viewing.

oleonenumber20

sopranos is quality TV.

The wire is also up there its like a cross between the west wing and the sopranos- quality

Fergies Formula

dexter and prison break shouldn't even be muttered in the same breath as the sopranos, thats blaspheme.

Sopranos and the Wire are the best 2 series ever made.... for the bubblegum tv shit, supernatural is fecking sweet

Biscuit1871

Haven't watched the wire yet. Can someone summarise what the general plot is please and what sort of genre it is.

Leg-End

Haven't watched the wire yet. Can someone summarise what the general plot is please and what sort of genre it is.
Blasphemy

The general plot is Baltimore police vs Baltimore drug gangs, but it has layers of story to it and likeable characters on both sides.