Television The Sopranos

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You're not gonna believe this; the guy killed 16 Czechoslovakians! He was an interior decorator!

alanjohnson

best thing about Sopranos are all the phil leotardo youtube comments
'i did 20 years in a shinebox'
'never had the makings of a varsity shinebox'
etc.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You're not gonna believe this; the guy killed 16 Czechoslovakians! He was an interior decorator!
:lol:

My favourite episode, the acting from Paulie and Christopher in that episode is amazing.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Just finished Season 4 on my first watch through of the show. Incredible writing and acting. I have it as S1 > S3 > S2 > S4 so far. Season 4 ended strong but I felt in the first half of the series they weren't really sure where to take the storyline.

Pine Barrens, Funhouse, Whitecaps, From Where to Eternity, College and Isabella are the episodes that standout most to me so far.

Last edited:

Gazza

“Is that what I am, a hawk? It’s an animal.”
“What am I, a toxic person?”

self-pitying Tony has some great lines

jem

Just finished Season 4 on my first watch through of the show. Incredible writing and acting. I have it as S1 > S3 > S2 > S4 so far. Season 4 ended strong but I felt in the first half of the series they weren't really sure where to take the storyline.

Pine Barrens, Funhouse, Whitecaps, From Where to Eternity, College and Isabella are the episodes that standout most to me so far.
I've never loved Season 3 as much as others - I find the first few episodes awkward and a bit gimmicky (ex. the rewind of Tony passing out; CGI Livia; the music in the first episode.) It contains two all-time classics in Pine Barrens and Amour Fou, but many of the episodes I found a bit underwhelming (great by the standards of almost any other show, of course.) My favourite seasons in order: Season 1 (a bit rough in parts, but packed with classics: the pilot; College; Isabella; I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano); Season 2 (many don't rate it, but I love Ritchie Aprile's storyline, and the Big Pussy parts are incredible); Season 5 (incredibly underrated in my opinion. Long-Term Parking might be the best episode ever, and I loved The Test Dream); Season 3; Season 4; Season 7 (or 6B as HBO seemed to call it); Season 6.

Nickosaur

I'm on season 4, just finished season 3. Pine Barrens was hilarious.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Just started season 5.

Seasons ranked thus far: 2 > 3 > 1 > 4.

hobbers

Finished it. Enjoyed quite a lot of it but the pacing was way too slow for my binge watching tastes. The fifth and sixth seasons really became almighty chore to get through.

At least for me it was much more watchable than The Wire, probably because the central hook of the show ages a little better than wiretapping.

I think the key is that when it comes to epic tv series, watch The Wire and The Sopranos before you watch Breaking Bad.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Personally I enjoyed The Sopranos but not as much as I enjoyed The Wire or Breaking Bad. It went down hill significantly in the later seasons and the last season was quite poor with an enraging ending.

Still well worth a watch of course as it is great TV.

Nickosaur

I started watching this too soon! I'm halfway through season 5. Should have waited until I was in self isolation.

Roosney

Rewatching this. Vito is on the run after being seen at a gay club. I fecking hate Phil Retardo.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Rewatching this. Vito is on the run after being seen at a gay club. I fecking hate Phil Retardo.
I like that scene when Chris and his buddy walk into Bada Bing to announce that Vito was seen in a fag bar. Some quality dialogue between all the characters.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Strange to come into this thread and see people saying it got weaker as it went on. Season 6A is pretty slow but 6B is absolutely fantastic and probably the best it ever got. I was waiting for the bubble to burst and for the whole thing to collapse around Tony and boy did it. Just the kind of punishment he deserved. Also really loved seasons 2 & 5, especially the first and last stretches of season 5. The first season had a couple of duff episodes, as did season 4, but the quality was always consistent. It's easy to forget that it was one of the very first shows of its kind, which is a real testament to the writing. I don't think all aspects of it have aged tremendously but the fact that its influence is still being felt thirteen years after it finished is a sign of how great it was.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
For me the only discernible difference between any of the seasons of The Sopranos is the antagonist. Everything is top notch, from beginning to end. Also watching the first episode is always a shock and slightly depressing due to how young they all look.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
@ViM tell us when you make it to the famous CGI scene. Surely it's a threadmark for anyone rewatching it.

Roosney

I like that scene when Chris and his buddy walk into Bada Bing to announce that Vito was seen in a fag bar. Some quality dialogue between all the characters.
Also when Finn takes the stand in the back office. Tony really doesn't like Chris' AA buddy.

You want compromise? I wanted to feck a woman, I compromised, I jacked off into a tissue.
Haha.

Gazza

I love scenes that show Anthony Jr and Meadow using some slang that probably wasn’t even in fashion at the time the show was made

“That’s so deck”

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Anybody listening to the podcast with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa? They're going through the show one episode at a time and talking about behind the scenes stuff, how they got started, a little bit about the actors in that particular episode and other tidbits. They're on episode 3 so far. Tony Sirico sounds like a real fecking character in real life :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Strange to come into this thread and see people saying it got weaker as it went on. Season 6A is pretty slow but 6B is absolutely fantastic and probably the best it ever got. I was waiting for the bubble to burst and for the whole thing to collapse around Tony and boy did it. Just the kind of punishment he deserved. Also really loved seasons 2 & 5, especially the first and last stretches of season 5. The first season had a couple of duff episodes, as did season 4, but the quality was always consistent. It's easy to forget that it was one of the very first shows of its kind, which is a real testament to the writing. I don't think all aspects of it have aged tremendously but the fact that its influence is still being felt thirteen years after it finished is a sign of how great it was.
Yeah, 6B is an excellent IMO. The first episode of 6B (Soprano Home Movies) is one of my favorite episodes of the entire show. Exceptional episode.

Zen

6B IS great, it's dark and lot of it... despite elements of the dark creeping over years, still even now on rewatches, just feels like it's casually been dropped there. The gambling addiction still comes out of absolutely nowhere - up to that, Tony's always been fairly astute etc, his agression has always been controlled too but it gets wildly out of control.... all done to make you the viewer to actual hate him as the despisable person he is, because you don't at this point, and you don't after it, because a fair chunk of it feels random... the middle of 6b is a bit drab where most of this stuff happens... Chase kinda glossed over Tony being dispisable up until here. Urgh, I dunno, minor criticism here as it's the GOAT.

In the grand scheme of consistency - 3 is probably the best, its a great bridge from 1-2 black comedy to 4-5-6 getting more dark. Of the top of my head, there isn't an episode I genuinely sometimes skip or is mostly background viewing in it either.