Television The Sopranos

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Started watching it through again. The early episodes has some really, really bad acting. It's from everyone too, not just small characters. I suppose they were finding their feet.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Started watching it through again. The early episodes has some really, really bad acting. It's from everyone too, not just small characters. I suppose they were finding their feet.
Yeah it takes a while to all settle down. Some awful audio dubbing going on in the first season too.

Roosney

I've been listening to the Talking Sopranos and from there I understood a lot them didn't have any experience in acting, at least in front of a camera.

lsd

The Oracle

Who from?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I've been listening to the Talking Sopranos and from there I understood a lot them didn't have any experience in acting, at least in front of a camera.

Who didn't have any experience in acting?

The kids perhaps not but all the main cast (James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, Michael Imperioli, Lorraine Bracco, Dominic Chienese, Nancy Marchard) were all very experienced and highly thought of.

Even the supporting characters like Paulie, and Big Pussy had decades of jobs playing similiar roles.

I think only Steven Van Zandt was a newbie to acting.

Idxomer

I don't remember any actor standing out as being bad in the first season.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink

The kids perhaps not but all the main cast (James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, Michael Imperioli, Lorraine Bracco, Dominic Chienese, Nancy Marchard) were all very experienced and highly thought of.

Even the supporting characters like Paulie, and Big Pussy had decades of jobs playing similiar roles.

Jimmy Olsen ova here

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Who from?
Michael had some bad moments in the first 3/4 episodes.

Melfi's hand over mouth giggling seemed weird.

The kids but I'll cut them slack.

Junior and Livia are the standouts in season 1 performances. Livia is insufferable but is so good to watch.

But I've finished season 1 now and you can already see it hitting that prestige TV stage.

Although the attempted hit on Tony. He shoots his friend and then leans into the car allowing Tony to grab the gun. Come on.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Junior and Livia are the standouts in season 1 performances. Livia is insufferable but is so good to watch.

But I've finished season 1 now and you can already see it hitting that prestige TV stage.

Although the attempted hit on Tony. He shoots his friend and then leans into the car allowing Tony to grab the gun.
Child acting stopped bothering me after having watched Michael Chiklis' daughter in The Shield.

Golly, it's so cringe. I had pushed down the memories of any her scenes.

Sorry for going off topic. I didn't really care for the storylines of the kids in the Sopranos. The acting didn't bother me much.

Zen

Those are some weird criticisms from the acting point of view... both Imperioli and Melfi we're pretty flawless from the get go, most of the leads are. But you are seemingly watching a late 90's show that is heavily a black comedy about wise guys with a very strong 60's/70's vibe in 2022, for the first time. There's unfortunately stuff that isn't going to transition and age as well as say Goodfellas does, due to the stretching it out to TV length which means daily routines and more 'of the time' mannerisms.

Unfortunately it was produced in 1997... when no one particularly took TV seriously. The games changed too, thanks to it.

Mind you, generally, I absolutely love season 1... A Hit Is a Hit is pretty turd though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Those are some weird criticisms from the acting point of view... both Imperioli and Melfi we're pretty flawless from the get go, most of the leads are. But you are seemingly watching a late 90's show that is heavily a black comedy about wise guys with a very strong 60's/70's vibe in 2022, for the first time. There's unfortunately stuff that isn't going to transition and age as well as say Goodfellas does, due to the stretching it out to TV length which means daily routines and more 'of the time' mannerisms.

Unfortunately it was produced in 1997... when no one particularly took TV seriously. The games changed too, thanks to it.

Mind you, generally, I absolutely love season 1... A Hit Is a Hit is pretty turd though.
Possibly the worst of the whole series :lol: the next episode on our watch is Pine Barrens :drool:

lsd

The Oracle
I agree with the kids not being actors and Silvio as well but Michael Imperoli was doing a lot of acting prior to the Sopranos and had worked with a lot of respected people on screen and in plays so surprised he would be looked on as poor.

Although I think I do remember him saying that his first scene was driving Tony around on his first day and he didn't actually know how to drive at the time so maybe affected that scene

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If I remember correctly the guy who played that fat feck Bobby Baccalieri and hosted the Sopranos podcast wasn't really an (full time) actor, but I didn't really notice that while watching the show. Something definitely feels a bit off about season 1, but - aside from the kids, understandably - I wouldn't necessarily say it's the acting. More like the overall production, the pilot in particular was shot long before the rest of the season I think?! But it's been too long since I watched to put it down more precisely.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I agree with the kids not being actors and Silvio as well but Michael Imperoli was doing a lot of acting prior to the Sopranos and had worked with a lot of respected people on screen and in plays so surprised he would be looked on as poor.

Although I think I do remember him saying that his first scene was driving Tony around on his first day and he didn't actually know how to drive at the time so maybe affected that scene
He smashed the car into a tree if I recall and was told to get lessons :lol:

acnumber9

Child acting stopped bothering me after having watched Michael Chiklis' daughter in The Shield.
Any kind of acting shouldn’t have bothered you anymore after watching The Shield. It managed to make Walton Goggins look bad.

Holocene

The sound design is what's glaring to me whenever I do a rewatch. I'm not sure if it gets better as the show progresses or I start to forget about it. Probably the former.

The awful gun shots, slapstick punching sounds and the random voice dubbing.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
If I remember correctly the guy who played that fat feck Bobby Baccalieri and hosted the Sopranos podcast wasn't really an (full time) actor, but I didn't really notice that while watching the show. Something definitely feels a bit off about season 1, but - aside from the kids, understandably - I wouldn't necessarily say it's the acting. More like the overall production, the pilot in particular was shot long before the rest of the season I think?! But it's been too long since I watched to put it down more precisely.
So.....Who the feck are you? Ralph Bunche over here!

Roosney

Hmm, yeah Steven at least and I believe some of them had only acted/directed on stage or film only, can't recall who and what season etc. Doing a movie quality tv-series outside of network television was practically a new thing back then in general.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He was the only one mildly capable of acting. Mind, I gave up early in the second season.
Good decision. Only the first and last season were any good. The last season (7) was heavily focused on Goggins' character and he nailed it.

Zen

Good decision. Only the first and last season were any good. The last season (7) was heavily focused on Goggins' character and he nailed it.
The one with Forest Whittaker is the second best.... after the first of course.

Roosney

Although the attempted hit on Tony. He shoots his friend and then leans into the car allowing Tony to grab the gun. Come on.
David Chase was a guest on the podcast and he said Livia is based on his own mother Norma Chase, and when his relatives saw Livia appear first time they had screamed in shock "oh my god that's aunt Norma". Great acting and writing there.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Halfway through season 2 and no sign of Ralphie yet. Always thought he was in it earlier for some reason. Richie Aprile and his shark eyes though. Psycho.

Also, Adriana :drool:.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Halfway through season 2 and no sign of Ralphie yet. Always thought he was in it earlier for some reason. Richie Aprile and his shark eyes though. Psycho.

Also, Adriana :drool:.
See Richie.. I actually feel for him

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Can someone tell me how someone needs to be looked after?

Did Janice actually make a point?
I mean we all know she was cnut that got it from her mother but was she wrongV?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Can someone tell me how someone needs to be looked after?

Did Janice actually make a point?
I mean we all know she was cnut that got it from her mother but was she wrongV?
Y’always with the drama, you.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Richie staring at Tony.

Tony: "Don't give me those fecking Manson lamps."
The interesting bit about the Richie character is there was a real life made guy in the Luchese family named Salvatore Clemente who looked and talked like Richie. Wouldn't be surprised if Richie was modeled after him.