The Title Race 2013/14

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know Liverpool have got Sturridge and Gerrard out, but the equivalent of what we had out today, would also be Suarez, Coutinho and Johnson out on top.!

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
EssexRob says hello. Unless I'm mistaking him with another Chelsea fan here.

I have questioned the first team more than the squad really, I dont think its nearly as good as Citys or quite as good as Arsenal and Liverpools. Going on how players have performed this seaosn of course not on paper or how they performed last season or any other.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think our squad depth has ever been questioned, has it? It's the quality of the first team players that has.
Yeah, the problem is just we have too many players who are just squad players, and not enough who are automatic starters. From our squad, the only players who start whenever they are fit are De Gea, Rafael, Evra, Carrick, Rooney and RVP. The rest are pretty much squad players, and that's part of the reason we rotate so much.

Sam

Yeah, the issue isn't the squad depth. Its the quality in the first team.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I have questioned the first team more than the squad really, I dont think its nearly as good as Citys or quite as good as Arsenal and Liverpools. Going on how players have performed this seaosn of course not on paper or how they performed last season or any other.
We've a better squad than Arsenal and Liverpool and will prove as much in the latter parts of the season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

don't agree with the Liverpool part of that at all. But clearly we're trailing City in top level quality.
Arsenal have a great selection in midfield, but i'd certainly take our attack over theirs.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
We havent played worse, as at times we have played some excellent football, Sunderland and Wham away and at home vs City. The good results and performances have been masked by the away games vs United and games were we dominate but dont score more than 1, ie 2 days ago.
I agree with this. I saw that game against Wham and you ran circles around George Michael and Andrew ridley.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
And it would be easier to know the real value of our first eleven if we:
a) had one
b) could field one for a few games in a row without key players being constantly injured
I may be ignorant but, out of the top European teams, haven't we been the unluckiest team in that department in recent years?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Just concentrate on getting in that top 4, that's still the aim for me. Anything else will be a bonus as I don't believe we are good enough to win this league. Would be relatively pleased with top 4 and a cup final appearance.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Title is highly unlikely..
Like I said a few weeks back, I'd be happy if we matched the top teams from now till the end of the season... That'd mean ending 7-8 points behind whoever wins the league..

That points tally should also guarantee a top 4 finish.

We messed up big time at the start of the season.. Getting it right is the most important thing..
Expecting the 2-3 serious title contenders ahead of us to have a slump while going on a great run ourselves might be too much to ask for.

Probably the most likely outcome. But I still think we have a chance-even if its very small. We really messed up at home this season. Even three draws instead of losses against West brom,Newcastle,Everton would have us right in the race right now-let alone a couple of wins.

Still if we keep up winning and if we were no more than 3-4 points behind by March we could be serious contenders. I would like us to at least put pressure on City to see how they would cope.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Any of the top League teams now would be fecking chuffed to have got 12 out of 12 with all the injuries and suspensions we had. Our squad depth is incredible but apparently it's not good enough for a top 4 team, right?
Our squad depth is fine, it's the lack of quality in our first team that kills us. Too many players who are only good enough to be squad players, not enough who are good enough to be first team CL winners. Moyes has said something similar, that our squad is fine but we need a few players who'll walk straight into the first team.

Anduin

On another day they could easily have been different results...
Whilst there is no point denying this, we could say the same about the Cardiff, Southampton and Everton/Newcastle results. Cardiff, Everton and Newcastle especially, we hit the woodwork numerous times and Newcastle got a lucky break, while Cardiff scored in injury time, and we even missed a grand sitter late on.

I don't think we're in the title race yet, I will start to believe we are if we win all our games until the end of January (Spurs, Swansea, Chelsea, Cardiff), but at least the belief and fight is back. We are now the best away team in the country, we desperately have to improve our home form to climb the table further though.

Tomuś

No, you questioned the squad. Whether you had the first team or the squad's depth in mind is not clear for any other than you. That's why you got laughed at then, you wouldn't have been for saying our first 11 is inferior to the one of City's.

bosnian_red

And it would be easier to know the real value of our first eleven if we:
a) had one
b) could field one for a few games in a row without key players being constantly injured
I may be ignorant but, out of the top European teams, haven't we been the unluckiest team in that department in recent years?
Doesn't get anymore unlucky then Dortmund this season, hence why they are struggling so much.
I think it's more to do with the fact that we have plenty of injury prone players, rather then just plain luck. The only players in our squad that you can rely on to last pretty much a whole season, or most of one, injury free is Giggs, Carrick (even he's been out for a bit this season), Valencia, De Gea and Evra really. Everyone else goes through spells on the sidelines with little niggles all the time. Really annoying.

Tomuś

Even talking about the first eleven, give us a breather of 10 games with no injuries and it's still good enough for a top four team. Better than Liverpool's, arguably better than Chelsea's.

Tomuś

Doesn't get anymore unlucky then Dortmund this season, hence why they are struggling so much.
I think it's more to do with the fact that we have plenty of injury prone players, rather then just plain luck. The only players in our squad that you can rely on to last pretty much a whole season, or most of one, injury free is Giggs, Carrick (even he's been out for a bit this season), Valencia, De Gea and Evra really. Everyone else goes through spells on the sidelines with little niggles all the time. Really annoying.
Yeah, was adamant I gave Dortmund as a proof to what injuries may do to your performances. Look at them - that's what we've been well accustomed to in recent years.

bosnian_red

Yeah, was adamant I gave Dortmund as a proof to what injuries may do to your performances. Look at them - that's what we've been well accustomed to in recent years.
Yeah I remember when we had to play 3 at the back that consisted of De Laet, Evra and Carrick or somebody away to Fulham and we got thrashed 3-0. It happens every season to us that its come to the point where I think we just have loads of crocks, rather then just bad luck.

kps88

This thread is so tiresome. Never before have we analysed our title chances after each and every game as early as November. Lose to Spurs and we'll be out of it again.

gasmanc

Banned
City have been absolutely stunning at home, their record is astonishing. Arsenal, even though they've trailed off, have played some brilliant football. And Liverpool have been playing some lovely football.

You need to take off your red tinted specs if you can't see that all those three have played much better then us this season.
But the gap between the sides isn't breathtaking City have been as poor away as they have been outstanding at home, City will more likely win the league but it's not a foregone conclusion by any means.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
Are you watching any of the rest ? There's only City that have the quality throughout to win this league other than united. Is it not a massive indication how poor the top teams have been that Arsenal without a recognised striker and Liverpool a one man band with that one man likely to hit his own self destruct button at any point have been the early front runners ? Looking at the state of everyone you can't even rule out Everton yet.

Without Suarez's goals we would be 10 points worse off, without Sturridge's goals we would be 12 points worse off. One man team indeed...:rolleyes:

Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge have scored 31 goals between them despite all being out for a while through injury- United have 32 goals.

You need to take of those red tinted specs, you are over inflating how good United are while simultaneously dismissing the teams above United.

gasmanc

Banned
Without Suarez's goals we would be 10 points worse off, without Sturridge's goals we would be 12 points worse off. One man team indeed...:rolleyes:

Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge have scored 31 goals between them despite all being out for a while through injury- United have 32 goals.

You need to take of those red tinted specs, you are over inflating how good United are while simultaneously dismissing the teams above United.
No your decidedly average and then Suarez gets the ball, everything comes through him, Sterling and Coutinho missed guilt edged chances carved out by the flying squirrel against City. Sturridge early season form was superb but what is it now 19 goals in 13 games for Suarez. One man flying machine until his next episode.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
No your decidedly average and then Suarez gets the ball, everything comes through him, Sterling and Coutinho missed guilt edged chances carved out by the flying squirrel against City. Sturridge early season form was superb but what is it now 19 goals in 13 games for Suarez. One man flying machine until his next episode.

Whatever you think yourself, but I don't think we have have given an average account of ourselves this year. Also, Sturridge obviously had better form earlier in the season considering he has been out for 6 weeks.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool have been well above average even taking out Suarez.

MDFC Manager

I don't think we'll overtake Liverpool either. They have an uncomplicated way of getting results this season (strikers I'm superb goal scoring form). That coupled with them only being in the league, imo means that they will finish 2nd or 3rd. I'd say arsenal are more likely to wither away than Liverpool.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
I know Liverpool have got Sturridge and Gerrard out, but the equivalent of what we had out today, would also be Suarez, Coutinho and Johnson out on top.!
Not dismissing your victory, but we could play Suarez and 10 pub team standard footballers and Suarez would still score a hat trick against Norwich.

Liverpool have been well above average even taking out Suarez.
Yep. Our entire team is playing quite well, bar Johnson at the moment.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
The big question, for me, is are Liverpool over performing to a standard they can maintain?
Maybe. This year is the best year to get into the CL. Don't get in this year and I think we'll be waiting another 2 or 3 years for another opportunity.

If we do get in, 7-8 players need adding with at least half of those being first team quality.

buckooo1978

If Liverpool play like they did at City I think they will beat Chelsea

Really unconvinced by Chelsea but with their squad I wonder will fatigue play a part in this game

In the long run Liverpool don't have the squad depth to sustain a title challenge