The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I know they're a joke for reasons involving Glaston and Mourinho but I do like Spurs. They've got a good solid 11 albeit lack a bit of depth and always seem to suffer from a Kane injury/blip.

I think they overachieved with Poch and 4th is about what they should be aiming for, which in itself would be a decent achievement.

BorisManUtd

Jose usually has a solid first full season so think they'll be decent. Could see them having a similar season like we did in 2016/17. Aiming for top 4 but maybe more likely to get into Champions league by winning Europa League. Also winning one of domestic cups seems like a realistic target. If we do not strenghten then both them and Arsenal have a chance to catch us for 4th place.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Really happy about the Matt Doherty news as he was my #1 preference for a RB signing as I commented previously.

BorisManUtd

Really happy about the Matt Doherty news as he was my #1 preference for a RB signing as I commented previously.
Do you expect more signings after Hojbjerg and Doherty? There were some rumours about Rakitic and King from Bournemouth. King seems like an excellent back up for Kane.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Both Hojbjerg and Doherty are classic Mourinho players and signings with the typical pros and cons. On the bright side, both are hard charging, physical players who will do a certain job and make the side a bit more competitive in the short term. On the downside, neither has much of a ceiling or is likely to get much better and there is a good chance that the next manager playing a different style in a couple years will find them surplus to requirements yet difficult to shift. But they didn't pay much at all for either (assuming the rumors about Doherty's price are accurate) so altogether it seems like decent business given that they've decided to try to compete rather than rebuild.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Jose usually has a solid first full season so think they'll be decent. Could see them having a similar season like we did in 2016/17. Aiming for top 4 but maybe more likely to get into Champions league by winning Europa League. Also winning one of domestic cups seems like a realistic target. If we do not strenghten then both them and Arsenal have a chance to catch us for 4th place.
They won’t get near Utd even if we add no one.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Do you expect more signings after Hojbjerg and Doherty? There were some rumours about Rakitic and King from Bournemouth. King seems like an excellent back up for Kane.
A backup striker 100%

I expect it to be Callum Wilson rather than King, but there's several options.

After that I'm not entirely optimistic. It will likely be based on if we sell enough players to fund more sales. Aurier looks close to out the door. After that it looks likely Ndombele could leave but it depends on if we get an offer good enough. I think the club is also open to selling the likes of Lamela and Sissoko but I don't think there will be much interest in them so I don't expect them to go.

If we do shift on enough of them I could see signing Kim Min-Jae, another RB, or a creative midfielder. Don't personally think it will happen though cuz Levy is gonna Levy. That said this early business with PEH and Doherty are some great moves imo.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Højbjerg and Doherty are two shrewd signings in areas they needed to upgrade.
Yeah excellent business so far. I think we will bring in a striker to play up front with Kane rather than a back-up. We might get another right back also. If we sell N'dombele then we probably need another midfielder/defender too.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Doherty I agree, but Hojbjerg is shit.
That is a bit harsh, Hojbjerg is serviceable, I think Ndidi is better, but you go with what is available. And Spurs do not have a DM since Dier moved back into defence. They have box to box CM's like Sissoko and Ndombele and technicians like Lo Celso and Winks. A DM was the missing piece of the puzzle in their midfield.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That is a bit harsh, Hojbjerg is serviceable, I think Ndidi is better, but you go with what is available. And Spurs do not have a DM since Dier moved back into defence. They have box to box CM's like Sissoko and Ndombele and technicians like Lo Celso and Winks. A DM was the missing piece of the puzzle in their midfield.
Is Hojbjerg a pure DM, I thought he was more box to box aswell? Certainly played there at Southampton as they always had Romeu deeper as the pure DM.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Is Hojbjerg a pure DM, I thought he was more box to box aswell? Certainly played there at Southampton as they always had Romeu deeper as the pure DM.
You are right, he played more as a box to box.

I just feel with Spurs they may deploy him in a holding role as they already have Sissoko, Ndombele and even that Fernandes kid who can all play that box to box role. Although if they cut their losses on Ndombele and loan out Fernandes, then yes, I could see him in that box to box role.

The only DM they had was Dier who has shifted back into defence with Vertonghen's departure. Winks and Lo Celso are tidy passers but do not really have the physical attributes to be dedicated DM's and I see them more as technicians who will keep the ball moving and link midfield with attack.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm not expecting much from Spurs. Think it'll be a mediocre season for them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Doherty signed for a rumoured £13.5 million with no add-ons. Incredible business that for one of the best RWB in the league. So far really impressed with how we are going about our business this window. 3 signings already - 2 in key positions - with hopefully one or two more to go.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I thought he was quite poor in a 4 at the back system so will you be reverting to 3 at the back?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why is he so cheap? I can’t get my head around it. He’s a starter for Wolves and has done incredibly well for them.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I thought he was quite poor in a 4 at the back system so will you be reverting to 3 at the back?
There hasn't been any indication of switching to a 3 in pre-season but Mourinho always pushes the RB further forward with Davies staying back/tucking in on the other side, so Doherty should have more freedom to get forward like he has done at Wolves.

PoTMS

Doherty is an incredible wingback. Not so good right back. But for the price, you can't really argue. I would've taken him here over AWB.

James Peril

Doherty signed for a rumoured £13.5 million with no add-ons. Incredible business that for one of the best RWB in the league. So far really impressed with how we are going about our business this window. 3 signings already - 2 in key positions - with hopefully one or two more to go.
I’m really not sure if it’s fake enthusiasm or irony, either one. These are Aston Villa, Newcastle-signings and they are not going to bridge any gap. The loss of Vertonghen is huge, both because of capacity and leadership. Doherty certainly isn’t one of the best full-backs in the league, the lack of competition and fee kind of suggests it too. Let’s see how he handles the change from a small club where he’s comfortably playing without any pressure.

What are Tottenham’s ambitions if these are not ok, not decent, not good, not superb, but incredible (!) signings?

Apart from Kane and Son, theres not much quality in the starting 11.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Ndombele has ability in spades but unfortunately doesn't like exerting himself too much, if only he had Sissoko's engine and application.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I’m really not sure if it’s fake enthusiasm or irony, either one. These are Aston Villa, Newcastle-signings and they are not going to bridge any gap. The loss of Vertonghen is huge, both because of capacity and leadership. Doherty certainly isn’t one of the best full-backs in the league, the lack of competition and fee kind of suggests it too. Let’s see how he handles the change from a small club where he’s comfortably playing without any pressure.

What are Tottenham’s ambitions if these are not ok, not decent, not good, not superb, but incredible (!) signings?
Doherty is one of the best RWB in league, just because we got him cheap and he isn't a fancy name doesn't mean it isn't a very good signing. You appear to have fallen into the trap of looking for these 'elite' players who aren't actually all that or you waste an entire window trying to get whereas we are now going out and getting the players we need to improve the first 11 and squad within the budget we have. I'm absolutely delighted and its what we have been missing for quite a few years.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You know, I had a dream last night we were 2-0 up against Spurs, then Son scored an absolute belter to get them back in the game.

Kane saw his opportunity, took a wicked shot from 20 yards, which De Gea parried and Son, being Son, let loose the gods of war, stuck a rocket on his boot, and slammed it in the top left corner.

De Gea should have done better IMO but I woke up before I could replace him with Henderson.

CM

It's a bit of a mystery why Wolves have allowed Doherty to leave on the cheap, you'd have thought they could've got about £10m more for him if they held out.

He'll be a loss for Wolves but I think his success for Spurs will depend on how they use him. Every time I've seen Doherty in a 4 he looks pretty ordinary, I know Mourinho likes a back 3 sometimes but I wouldn't be surprised if Doherty struggles a bit when the system isn't set up to suit him.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I feel Spurs are doing their best to fill the gaps, of which they had a lot. RB yes, DM yes, maybe backup striker? Very limited funds for Jose at Spurs, see how he goes.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lo Celso is quality.

If they can motivate Ndombele they have a pretty decent team and can challenge for top 4.

Ndombele,Hojberg, Le Celso is a brilliant balanced midfield.

Fluctuation0161

Doherty is one of the best RWB in league, just because we got him cheap and he isn't a fancy name doesn't mean it isn't a very good signing. You appear to have fallen into the trap of looking for these 'elite' players who aren't actually all that or you waste an entire window trying to get whereas we are now going out and getting the players we need to improve the first 11 and squad within the budget we have. I'm absolutely delighted and its what we have been missing for quite a few years.
I agree, he is a solid player. Strong attacking threat too.

£15m is dirt cheap. I don't understand how he was sold so cheaply?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Lo Celso is quality.

If they can motivate Ndombele they have a pretty decent team and can challenge for top 4.

Ndombele,Hojberg, Le Celso is a brilliant balanced midfield.
They have a hardworking team, that midfield is industrial and will cover the ground but I can't see Ndombele or Hojberg ever being in a top four midfield.