The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Their signings so far are underwhelming. Kane will no doubt pick up an ankle injury and Jose will lose his shit about how unlucky he is.

I honestly don't see Spurs finishing higher than 6th. Arsenal will finish above them having now got greater resolve and bringing in a very talented centre back in Gabriel.
I think people are going to be surprised by Spurs even though they shouldn’t be. I expect a very strong defensive team that will get a lot of calls for being “boring” but will be quite successful.

I expect the same from Arsenal every year. They do this all the time with the FA Cup and then absolutely blow up during the season. I don’t think two young defenders like Saliba and Gabriel are going to be the answer to their defensive issues.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Dele Alli was in dire form for pretty much all of last season so certainly wasn't any response on the pitch.
Did you even watch the documentary series?

Even if you weren’t paying attention to Spurs’ season Dele immediately starts going on an absolute scoring tear once Jose joins the club and the documentary shows it. Then Covid hits and Dele is hit with yet another hamstring injury.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Dele:
Goals 8
Assists 4
Minutes 1854

Maddison:
Goals 6
Assists 3
Minutes 2629

Mount:
Goals 7
Assists 5
Minutes 2875

Grealish:
Goals 8
Assists 6
Minutes 3234

Dele had a dire season though whilst the other three were great.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
These were the games following Mourinho's appointment. 4 goals in 7 games and I can remember at least one assist in amongst those too:

23-Nov-19FA Prem59,930AWest Ham UnitedW3-2Son, Lucas, Kane
30-Nov-19FA Prem59,626HAFC BournemouthW3-2Dele (2), Sissoko
03-Dec-19FA Prem73,252AManchester UnitedL1-2Dele
07-Dec-19FA Prem58,401HBurnleyW5-0Kane (2), Lucas, Son, Sissoko
14-Dec-19FA Prem31,674AWolvesW2-1Lucas, Vertonghen
21-Dec-19FA Prem61,104HChelseaL0-2
26-Dec-19FA Prem56,308HBrighton & Hove AlbionW2-1Kane, Dele
Exactly. Pretty good goal return especially as he’s playing more as a midfielder now rather than a #10/shadow striker hybrid.

So long as he stays healthy this year (a lot of hamstring injuries have piled up) I think Dele is going to have a very good season this year.

cyberman

I’ve watched the first 2 eps but this reactJon is never explained, no? I just wasn’t expecting Jose’s reaction.
I thought the same. Maybe it was a Pogba flashback that he didnt want 1 player to have a lot of sway?

Chief123

I’ve watched the first 2 eps but this reactJon is never explained, no? I just wasn’t expecting Jose’s reaction.
I think he reacted like this because Sissoko was not in his plans for his starting line up in his first couple of games. He was probably worried what affect it might have on the whole team if Sissoko got dropped as he was a popular figure in the dressing room. I’m guessing that’s why he reacted like that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Even if you weren’t paying attention to Spurs’ season Dele immediately starts going on an absolute scoring tear once Jose joins the club and the documentary shows it. Then Covid hits and Dele is hit with yet another hamstring injury.
He scored 5 goals in 16 games under Mourinho before lockdown, not bad not amazing. Actually before lockdown his scoring rate was 2 league goals in 10 games, I remember your win at Villa Park in mid Feb when he must've missed 4 one v ones against Reina.

I think he's a very talented player who's lost his way in last 18 months, he's a long way from scoring twice v Real Madrid under Poch and 15-16 when he was peaking nicely. 18 league goals in 16/17 if I've counted it correctly.

Interesting question of whether he unbalances Spurs now. Kane and Son are certs and depending on form you can just rotate between Bergwijn and Moura on the other side. Then middle trio of Sissoko, Lo Celso and I presume Hojbjerg.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He scored 5 goals in 16 games under Mourinho before lockdown, not bad not amazing. Actually before lockdown his scoring rate was 2 league goals in 10 games, I remember your win at Villa Park in mid Feb when he must've missed 4 one v ones against Reina.

I think he's a very talented player who's lost his way in last 18 months, he's a long way from scoring twice v Real Madrid under Poch and 15-16 when he was peaking nicely. 18 league goals in 16/17 if I've counted it correctly.

Interesting question of whether he unbalances Spurs now. Kane and Son are certs and depending on form you can just rotate between Bergwijn and Moura on the other side. Then middle trio of Sissoko, Lo Celso and I presume Hojbjerg.
I’m speaking more along the fact if Dele being criticized and then almost immediately scoring.

I think our lineup with the current squad would look something like this:
Kane
Son - Dele - Lucas
Lo Celso - Hojbjerg
Davies - Dier - Alderweireld - Doherty
Lloris​

I think Bergwijn has looked great this preseason and in his somewhat limited opportunities last year but still think Mou will prefer Lucas’ work rate. Don’t think Sissoko will be much more than a bench/cup rotation option. Also think it’s possible Lo Celso plays in the Dele spot and Winks plays alongside Hojbjerg.

Also important to note that we might go back to what Jose was doing earlier in his tenure before Davies was hurt in that we resemble a 3-5-2/3-4-3 when in possession where Davies tucks inside beside the CBs and the RB bombs further forward which is why I think we were high on bringing in Doherty as he seems to fit that type of system very well.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Well said, he is truly one of the worst players I have seen play for Spurs in 40 years of watching them. Have gives up a goal every other game and has the concentration skills of a 3 year old. The All Or Nothing series shows him as a complete social moron too. Mourinho calls him out early doors telling him he is a VAR liability marking at corners. I just hope never to see him play for Spurs again.
Never understood why you went for him in the first place. Was a liability at PSG and proved time and time again his lack of focus. An okay rotation option but you're in trouble if he's your starting RB.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Will agree to disagee @Sweech . Think Sissoko will start majority of your games v other top 6 home and away, centrally but also possible out wide like he did for France a few years back.

Unless the injury has reduced his effectiveness like it seemed to with Wanyama.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Will agree to disagee @Sweech . Think Sissoko will start majority of your games v other top 6 home and away, centrally but also possible out wide like he did for France a few years back.

Unless the injury has reduced his effectiveness like it seemed to with Wanyama.
Can't see it myself as Sissoko hasn't played out wide in ages. Pochettino moved him inside to a CM role and it seems like that's where Mourinho likes him as well. Can't see him playing out wide over the likes of Son, Lucas, Bergwijn, or Lamela outside of the very odd occasion like a very specific game plan or through substitutions in a game.

Also don't think Mou rates him all that highly and if someone came in with an offer (don't think anyone will) then I imagine he would be sold. Thankfully his injury doesn't seem to have had the effect it has with plenty of our other previous DMs (Wanyama, Sandro, Palacios, etc.) but I think he's seen as a backup option.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
If Jose switches it up to a 4-3-3 for some games might see more of Sissoko. Games where he feels he needs that extra man in midfield.

Where does Ndombele fit in all this? Or is his time done already and Spurs are looking to sell?

starman

Son....Kane....Bale
Dele....
........................Sissoko
...Hojberg..
Regullion.....Dier....Sánchez...Doherty
Is he going to try and recapture his Chelsea team, but a lite version...
Or will he go to a back 3? signing Doherty, especially, will be a waste if he is not a wingback...

Son Kane Bale
Regullion Sissoko Hojberg Doherty
Dier Toby Sánchez

(Don't know if the formatting is coming out correctly here)

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Son....Kane....Bale
Dele....
...Hojberg..
Or will he go to a back 3? signing Doherty, especially, will be a waste if he is not a wingback...

Son Kane Bale
Dier Toby Sánchez

Top Tier attack
Sub-Top defense
Mediocre midfield, also without any real depth...

Its not enough...

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Son....Kane....Bale
Dele....
...Hojberg..

Son Kane Bale
Dier Toby Sánchez

I guess Mou will play GLC as attacking midfielder, and then 2 hard working CM to protect the back 3 with one side of the full back attacking, and have a back 3. Also Mou may play with 3-4-3 given the number of CB spurs has and the weakness in defence, just like issue arsenal has, so Regullion and Aurier as wing back provide the width. Son and Bale cut in from wide area. I don't expect Bale will be used the same way as before using his pace to past his marker. He needs to play closer to the box nowadays.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Son....Kane....Bale
Dele....
...Hojberg..

Son Kane Bale
Dier Toby Sánchez

When has he played 3 at the back ?

Its definitely 4231 with Bale playing off Kane or on the right.

Problem is their wing backs are so attacking and defensively very suspect that they need support from either midfield or right side.

Both Sissoko and Hojberg will play if Bale is on.

GlasgowCeltic

Dele is the odd one out. You’d think it’d be a switch to 433 to free Bale defensively

GlasgowCeltic

Could almost see it becoming 442 without the ball so Son and Sissoko will probably have a lot of work to do

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He should go:
Son Kane Lucas/Bale
Lo Celso Sissoko Ndombele
Reguilon Alderweireld Sanchez Doherty
Lloris​

Bergwijn and one of lucas/bale to rotate on the right. If Ndombele can get fit hes an excellent player, Lo Celso is an excellent player and should walk in but Mourinho so you never know.

The saving grace is its Mourinho, so he won't set them up as they should be and they won't play as they should and a few of the talented players like Ndombele and Lo Celso won't be used to their potential, instead Dier will be in, Bale will be shoe horned in, Dele Alli unless he goes will be in, etc.

Caliban

That team vs Lokomotive. Is it the final or something. Ndombele still not playing. He must be living a nightmare at Spurs.

Caliban

Oh and Dele Ali was rumoured considered in a swap deal with Bale to Madrid.

gajender

He should go:
Son Kane Lucas/Bale
Lo Celso Sissoko Ndombele
Reguilon Alderweireld Sanchez Doherty
Lloris​

Bergwijn and one of lucas/bale to rotate on the right. If Ndombele can get fit hes an excellent player, Lo Celso is an excellent player and should walk in but Mourinho so you never know.

The saving grace is its Mourinho, so he won't set them up as they should be and they won't play as they should and a few of the talented players like Ndombele and Lo Celso won't be used to their potential, instead Dier will be in, Bale will be shoe horned in, Dele Alli unless he goes will be in, etc.
That team would struggle against any half decent opposition it has no balance if Mourinho plays that team he would be out of the job even sooner than expected.

Charlie Foley

Why are you basing this on the documentary and not just...watching matches.

romufc

The documentary also makes Spurs season look good.. when it really wasn't.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
That team vs Lokomotive. Is it the final or something. Ndombele still not playing. He must be living a nightmare at Spurs.
He really just needs to leave. Its clear as day that Mourinho doesn't like him and there are four midfielders ahead of him (Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Winks) that all seem to be among Mourinho's favorites.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That team would struggle against any half decent opposition it has no balance if Mourinho plays that team he would be out of the job even sooner than expected.
Why? People think Lo Celso is a #10 because he is argentine when in fact he's very much a hard working center mid, #8. Same with Ndombele. Sissoko to be the ball winning midfielder behind them like how Mourinho used Mctominay, its fine. 2 wing backs behind 2 inside forwards on the flanks. Standard center back pairing.