The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

el3mel

We are literally 5 points off them with a game in hand and we've already played pretty much every half decent side in England bar Liverpool

We want to win the league. feck spuds, feck Mourinho. I don't care who wins the league if it isn't us.
So you don't care if Liverpool equal our record this season by winning it for 20th time ? We were supporting City the last 2 seasons to prevent that from happening.

Of course it's better for us to win it but come Feb or March and if we're not challenging them, then I'm on the board of supporting whoever will be challenging them for the title even if it's West Ham.

Them equaling our record will be a disaster.

GazTheLegend

You can’t possibly say you wouldn’t prefer Tottenham to win the league over Liverpool.
Last season maybe but the damage is done now. It's small time to say "oh I would so prefer them to win the league!!!". I genuinely don't care anymore. I cared the season city done them with 97 points as dirty as it felt, but no, not anymore.

GazTheLegend

So you don't care if Liverpool equal our record this season by winning it for 20th time ? We were supporting City the last 2 seasons to prevent that from happening.

Of course it's better for us to win it but come Feb or March and if we're not challenging them, then I'm on the board of supporting whoever will be challenging them for the title even if it's West Ham.

Them equaling our record will be a disaster.
It seems like you're implying I should want Tottenham to win games of football right now??? I don't think so!

el3mel

It seems like you're implying I should want Tottenham to win games of football right now??? I don't think so!
I was just replying on the point of not caring who will the league if not us. The damage isn't done yet to not care about Liverpool winning it again. They still didn't equal our record with the the league won last year. I would definitely prefer any other team snatching it this one, not just Spurs. Chelsea, City, Leicester anyone, literally if it's not us.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I predict that by the end of the season, Spurs won't be anywhere near the top.
In fact, I'm tempted to say I see them outside top 4, even if that might be going a bit too far out on a limb.

Judas

Open to offers
I think as long as they keep their main guys fit, they'll grind out a top two finish. Jose knows how to do just that, he's shown it time and time again, it'll be very ugly stuff, but I'd back him to do it. A lot relies on keeping the key guys healthy.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I was just replying on the point of not caring who will the league if not us. The damage isn't done yet to not care about Liverpool winning it again. They still didn't equal our record with the the league won last year. I would definitely prefer any other team snatching it this one, not just Spurs. Chelsea, City, Leicester anyone, literally if it's not us.
Agreed. I'd take it further and say that damage is never done.

If they were 20 ahead of us and had won 10 in a row then making it 11 in a row & 21 in front would still be a bad thing. They're our fiercest rivals, it's shit if they win stuff and we don't.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...celso-after-party-breached-covid-restrictions
Three of their players - Reguilon, GLC, Lamela (what a surprise!) + Lanzini from West Ham have breach Covid restrictions.

Will they be banned for 3 games for endangering people or is that only reserved for Manchester United forwards who post innocuous messages on Instagram?
even if Spurs are saying it will be dealt with internally, that’s not good enough.

The FA had to take action, and as long as it’s proven, then there is no doubt they should get the longest ban possible.

like you say, compare this to Cavani.

Spurs fans, what do you think?

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
even if Spurs are saying it will be dealt with internally, that’s not good enough.

The FA had to take action, and as long as it’s proven, then there is no doubt they should get the longest ban possible.

I think they should also be banned and fined heavily. Totally unacceptable and avoidable. There is absolutely no excuse and I'm sure they would of been briefed on the rules via there respected clubs.

cjj

Supports
Spurs

Granted there's a rule being broken, but it's a bit silly in this case, you could argue.

It's the families of PL players together, but any 'transmission' is absolutely unaffected - each player will still have had interaction with their families, and would have interacted with each other in close proximity regardless. All of which are London-based.
So yeah, broken a lockdown rule, but it's a technicality more than anything actually 'harmful' as such (in theory).

It's a completely different set of circumstances to having a public party, or attending one, or mixing with players from different countries/parts of the country, as is rumoured to have happened with the City/Fulham lads, or Salah.

"The longest ban possible" :rolleyes:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Granted there's a rule being broken, but it's a bit silly in this case, you could argue.

It's the families of PL players together, but any 'transmission' is absolutely unaffected - each player will still have had interaction with their families, and would have interacted with each other in close proximity regardless. All of which are London-based.
So yeah, broken a lockdown rule, but it's a technicality more than anything actually 'harmful' as such (in theory).

It's a completely different set of circumstances to having a public party, or attending one, or mixing with players from different countries/parts of the country, as is rumoured to have happened with the City/Fulham lads, or Salah.

Read that again and have a quiet word with yourself mate.

OverratedOpinion

Jesus Christ, Harry Kane is some player. Him, Bruno and Salah will have some battle for player of the year this season.

OverratedOpinion

KDB, Son and Grealish are also in the mix
Have not watched much of City this season and my personal opinion (don't shoot me) is that Son is not at that level despite being a fine player, Grealish I agree with although probably won't happen unless they get top 4 at least. Either way it feels great to have one of the front runners for that award again other than our goalkeeper.

With that said I honestly think Kane is in the running for best player on the planet at this point.

Wilt

Have not watched much of City this season and my personal opinion (don't shoot me) is that Son is not at that level despite being a fine player, Grealish I agree with although probably won't happen unless they get top 4 at least. Either way it feels great to have one of the front runners for that award again other than our goalkeeper.

With that said I honestly think Kane is in the running for best player on the planet at this point.
Stand still while I shoot you

TheReligion

Abusive

Eh. I'm not sure you understand the regulations and tier system if I'm honest after reading that.

have you had you head in the sand for the last month?

I live in London, and was in Tier 4 over Xmas.

this is far from a technicality.

your post is an example of why the players should be dealt with severely and publicly. They have normalised mixing behaviours, and make it acceptable to some people.

you now think this is a “bit silly”’.

Sorry to make an example out of you, but unfortunately there are a lot of people without any sense walking around spreading the virus, and public figures behaving in this way influence people - hence your extremely misinformed post.

This is why they need to be dealt with severely and publicly - so perhaps these people will actually get the bloody message.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
have you had you head in the sand for the last month?

I live in London, and was in Tier 4 over Xmas.

this is far from a technicality.

your post is an example of why the players should be dealt with severely and publicly. They have normalised mixing behaviours, and make it acceptable to some people.

you now think this is a “bit silly”’.

Sorry to make an example out of you, but unfortunately there are a lot of people without any sense walking around spreading the virus, and public figures behaving in this way influence people - hence your extremely misinformed post.

This is why they need to be dealt with severely and publicly - so perhaps these people will actually get the bloody message.
The issue being, that is being missed, is that the 'mixing' isn't really 'mixing' is it? The same guys would be sat next to each other in training, on a bus, in the dressing room, on the pitch. They would immediately go home to their families and mix with them too.

The fact is that the 'rules' that have been broken are a technicality - it would seem that a bunch of people who already mix on any other day had a night in. No strippers, revellers, prostitutes etc.

On that note, were people on here calling for Greenwood to get the 'maximum punishment' over the Iceland incident? Had a quick look and it looks like he was treated as a victim over that.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
KDB, Son and Grealish are also in the mix
I don't think de Bruyne's anywhere near POTS level this season, his stats are still good but not really outstanding when compared to the other contenders.

The issue being, that is being missed, is that the 'mixing' isn't really 'mixing' is it? The same guys would be sat next to each other in training, on a bus, in the dressing room, on the pitch. They would immediately go home to their families and mix with them too.

The fact is that the 'rules' that have been broken are a technicality - it would seem that a bunch of people who already mix on any other day had a night in. No strippers, revellers, prostitutes etc.

On that note, were people on here calling for Greenwood to get the 'maximum punishment' over the Iceland incident? Had a quick look and it looks like he was treated as a victim over that.
the fact that you are still arguing shows you have zero comprehension of the issue.

you are so wrong, and unfortunately flagrant rule breaking like this normalise the behaviours.

why couldn’t everyone who works in an office together, all get together at Christmas/ New Year and have a big party? no strippers, revellers, prostitutes. Just 5 or 6 families having a good time...

Same thing, and people will justify it because they see famous people breaking the rules.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Back up to 3rd but Jose really dropped the ball with that run of games where he set up every one of them as though they were playing away to prime Barcelona. To do it against Man City and Liverpool is understandable but to be so negative against Palace, Wolves and Leicester was so unnecessary. Yesterday was more on the front foot even if they did concede the majority of the possession, need to start playing like that more routinely if they're to pick up the points needed to stay in the title/top 4 picture.

Wilt

I don't think de Bruyne's anywhere near POTS level this season, his stats are still good but not really outstanding when compared to the other contenders.
Maybe not in best form yet, but he’s still world class and there’s over half a season to go.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
De Bruyne had a slow start but still 3 goals and 8 assists is pretty good, and as people have stated we are at the halfway mark. Kane, Grealish, Bruno the stand outs with Kane edging it for me at the halfway point.

Jose has them in the mix, agree with other posters however, far too passive vs Wolves and Leicester which cost them. They still need to find that balance of when to press and attack and when to sit deep.

Ndombele showing signs of life, been dominant the last couple times I have see him, needed to do it more consistently not just for Youtube highlight compilations.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
De Bruyne had a slow start but still 3 goals and 8 assists is pretty good, and as people have stated we are at the halfway mark. Kane, Grealish, Bruno the stand outs with Kane edging it for me at the halfway point.

Jose has them in the mix, agree with other posters however, far too passive vs Wolves and Leicester which cost them. They still need to find that balance of when to press and attack and when to sit deep.

Ndombele showing signs of life, been dominant the last couple times I have see him, needed to do it more consistently not just for Youtube highlight compilations.
Jose is still trying to mold the team and looking for the right combinations I think, we are not the finished article yet. Totally agree with you on being far too passive in some games which has cost us.

I think we are missing some real quality in key areas which will take some time to fix (and a bit of luck) - primarily I think we need a top class centre back and an athletic and skillful box to box midfielder. Both of those will cost a lot of money and it remains to be seen whether Spurs actually have money to spend given the current financial situation. The possible selling of Dele could solve that problem though.

N'dombele is starting to look very good but I still think we are only seeing about 70% of what he can offer though it was encouraging to see him complete a full 90 mins last night, he needs to do that every game now.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

:lol:
Its the absolute wummery of it all, "Spurs never win ANYTHING" is the cry, then when we are in a final its "Sure its just the League Cup", its gonna be a tough final either way so we have won bugger all yet, but if we win it I will be emmensly proud of the team and quite honestly couldn't give a shit what other fans think.

Hughes35

Its the absolute wummery of it all, "Spurs never win ANYTHING" is the cry, then when we are in a final its "Sure its just the League Cup", its gonna be a tough final either way so we have won bugger all yet, but if we win it I will be emmensly proud of the team and quite honestly couldn't give a shit what other fans think.
Anybody that says the League cup doesn't matter is deluded. There are a maximum of 4 trophies to go for at the start of a season. Any trophy is a massive achievement. Sure, it's the lowest of the 4 but even so it's still huge to win.

1/2 - League / Champions League
3 - Europa
4 - FA Cup
5 - League cup

That's the order of importance. If I was a manager of a club like spurs, I'd go all in on the League cup as it's my best chance of silver.

simplyared

Spurs are reminding me of utd when it started going heapshit under Jose. Yes they won last night but by no means convincing. They could have lost that game. A toe was the difference between Brentford's goal being allowed. Could well have been a different story. They're playing boring football, players underperforming and with an expressionless boring manager on the sidelines who's overrated and seen his better days!

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s just come to my attention that Lamela is 28.

I swear to god, no word of a lie, I thought he was about 34. Been around forever & done nothing.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Did Bale do good?
He cops a lot of flack on here but I think overall he has been average. He has 4 goals in 554 mins of play across all comps(Cups, Europa, EPL), sure not great, but a better return for mins invested than Moura, Bergwyn, Lamela, whoever else Spurs have in that position. For example Moura has around 5 goals in over 800mins of play. Bergwyn 0 goals and 1 assist in around 900mins, but both players put in a much better defensive shift than Bale.

He is certainly not worth anywhere near what he is being paid, and that is the crux of the problem. If he was being paid 80k a year you would look at it at face value and go yeah ok that is not too bad. At 600k a year his returns are laughable, you would want Mo Salah kinds of returns.

NoPace

Jose is still trying to mold the team and looking for the right combinations I think, we are not the finished article yet. Totally agree with you on being far too passive in some games which has cost us.

I think we are missing some real quality in key areas which will take some time to fix (and a bit of luck) - primarily I think we need a top class centre back and an athletic and skillful box to box midfielder. Both of those will cost a lot of money and it remains to be seen whether Spurs actually have money to spend given the current financial situation. The possible selling of Dele could solve that problem though.

N'dombele is starting to look very good but I still think we are only seeing about 70% of what he can offer though it was encouraging to see him complete a full 90 mins last night, he needs to do that every game now.
You need a CB sure, but I do think a different manager could make an N'Dombele-LoCelso-Hojbjerg midfield sing.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You need a CB sure, but I do think a different manager could make an N'Dombele-LoCelso-Hojbjerg midfield sing.
Lo celso has been injured most of the season so Jose hasn't yet had the chance to make them sing either. Perhaps we wait till they are all fit before using that against him?

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Did Bale do good?
Yesterday was the first game that he looked something like his old self. Obviously need to take the opposition into account but he was actually running at the defenders and beating them, scored a decent goal and had a few more opportunities that he should've done better with. Still a way to go but showed some signs of life at least.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Do they need a CB? Im not so sure it is a dire need, Dier, Sanchez, Alderweireld as the experienced CB's, with Rodon and Tanganga as the young backups being 23 and 21 respectively. Granted Im not so sure about Sanchez, feel for the amount of time he has been at Spurs his progression has been slow? Alderweireld not getting any younger but still has a year or two in him. But Rodon at 23 should be pushing for a first team spot next season once he has settled into Spurs/EPL life.

And also they need someone to take some of the goal scoring load off Son and Kane, whether that be Bale getting back to a semblance of his former self or Ndombele with some runs into the box and goals from his AM position or a totally new signing Im not so sure.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Do they need a CB? Im not so sure it is a dire need, Dier, Sanchez, Alderweireld as the experienced CB's, with Rodon and Tanganga as the young backups being 23 and 21 respectively. Granted Im not so sure about Sanchez, feel for the amount of time he has been at Spurs his progression has been slow? Alderweireld not getting any younger but still has a year or two in him. But Rodon at 23 should be pushing for a first team spot next season once he has settled into Spurs/EPL life.

And also they need someone to take some of the goal scoring load off Son and Kane, whether that be Bale getting back to a semblance of his former self or Ndombele with some runs into the box and goals from his AM position or a totally new signing Im not so sure.
Sanchez will probably be gone in the summer, his first season was promising but since then he's regressed if anything. He's better suited in a high line where he can use his pace to recover but playing deep exposes his flaws as a pure defender. The writing was on the wall for him when Jose came in but to be fair to Jose he's given Sanchez more than enough chances but he just hasn't been very good. Alderweireld is already being phased out but is a reliable player to have in reserve, we will see on Thursday but Rodon may have moved ahead of him already. Dier is first choice and has been "good" this season but I think good is all he'll ever be, he has too limitations stopping him from being any better. A signing there is on the cards I reckon but not sure who. I think someone like Vestergaard would be perfect for a Jose team but whether Spurs would spend the amount needed to sign a player who will be 29 by that point is debatable, he does only have 18 months left on his deal though so maybe.

Reactions: golden_blunder