The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Don’t follow US politics closely but you can’t help but feel so uninspired by Biden. What does he stand for, other than “I’m less bad than Trump”. He looks and sounds like every white western elderly politician ever. Not to mention he looks like he’s one bad fall away from permanently being in a retirement home.

There’s always these pics of world leaders before/after their time in charge, where they age about 20 years. Can you imagine Biden in 4 years time ffs. He’ll be Prince Phillip-esque

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
ICE MEDICAL MISCONDUCT WITNESS SLATED FOR DEPORTATION IS A U.S. CITIZEN, SAYS LAWYER
In recent weeks, after Alma Bowman became a key witness for medical misconduct at an immigration jail, ICE moved to deport her.

https://theintercept.com/2020/11/02/ice-medical-misconduct-us-citizen-deportation/

ALMA BOWMAN, a 54-year-old woman in U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody, was scheduled for deportation on Monday. For over two years, Bowman has been held at Georgia’s Irwin County Detention Center, the site of growing concern about medical neglect and coerced gynecological procedures performed on nearly 60 women. She has been a key witness, for attorneys and journalists, of a doctor performing the allegedly unnecessary or overly aggressive procedures.

She is also a U.S. citizen, according to her lawyer and documentation reviewed by The Intercept.

“I’m just scared,” Bowman told The Intercept about her potential deportation. “I always had this fear that I’ll lose touch with my family.”

Though she was ordered removed from the country on June 4, ICE only took action to begin her deportation in the last few weeks — after the public became aware of allegations of medical misconduct at Irwin. Following the initiation of deportation proceedings against her, a lawyer finally began reviewing documents for Bowman’s immigration case and realized that she had documentation indicating her U.S. citizenship.

On Monday morning, ICE denied a stay of removal for Bowman, potentially setting up her deportation. On Monday afternoon, Bowman’s deportation was halted, for now, and she was to be returned from Arizona, where she was being prepared for her departure, to a detention center in Georgia, her advocates told The Intercept.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Don’t follow US politics closely but you can’t help but feel so uninspired by Biden. What does he stand for, other than “I’m less bad than Trump”. He looks and sounds like every white western elderly politician ever. Not to mention he looks like he’s one bad fall away from permanently being in a retirement home.

There’s always these pics of world leaders before/after their time in charge, where they age about 20 years. Can you imagine Biden in 4 years time ffs. He’ll be Prince Phillip-esque
He stands for not being a race-baiting, misogynist, xenophobic, homophobic, hate-mongering, white supremacist, compulsive liar and fascist. Describing this as being merely "less bad than Trump" is like calling WWII a minor skirmish.

He also doesn't have the attention span of a gold-fish nor the emotional age of a toddler, believes in science over fiction and is roughly 100,000 times more intelligent than Trump.

Last edited:

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
He stands for not being a race-baiting, misogynist, xenophobic, homophobic, hate-mongering, white supremacist, compulsive liar and fascist. Describing this as being merely "less bad than Trump" is like calling WWII a minor skirmish.
You just proved my point. The whole mantra is, “Trump is scum. I’m not.”

It’s clear what Sanders stood for by just listening to the man for five minutes. Biden, just like Hilary, is barely left wing by any stretch. Neither give off any sense of any integrity, imo.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

It’s clear what Sanders stood for by just listening to the man for five minutes. Biden, just like Hilary, is barely left wing by any stretch. Neither give off any sense of any integrity, imo.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Jesus ain't coming back anytime soon.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Compared to Trump, Biden has integrity in spades.

Biden isn't an inspiring figure like Obama. But so what? He's the only alternative to Trump in this election. And if Trump wins it'll be goodnight democracy in the USA and hello fascism. Given 4 more years Trump and his Republican sycophants will move to make pretty much the whole federal judiciary into Trumpite appointees, they'll extend voter suppression even further, move to control the internet and social media, steps up attacks on the media and press, and give free reign to his 'proud boys' and other armed militia to take command of the streets, all with police connivance.

So if you ever want an inspiring Democrat similar to Obama to emerge after Biden and have a chance of winning the Presidency, then a Biden victory is essential .

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Well, I guess it depends on how much they change/reform themselves into a very different kind of Republican Party from that which they've become, especially under Trump.

Right now, they are mass of contradictions. For example, they are supposed to be in favour of small government and individual liberty, but in fact are obsessed with the issue of opposing a women's right to choose re. abortion - which means they favour state control of women's bodies in this particular. It's impossible to square this with the principle of small government.

The way that democracy is supposed to work is that a defeated party, recognising its unpopularity, changes and reforms to make itself more popular. But the current Republican party seems far more intent on trying to remain artificially in power through voter suppression.
I think the GOP will have an existential choice to make if Trump loses. They might go back to where they were previously. But if they continue to beat his drum, they might move themselves into an ineluctable niche - and the Dems might capitalize by permanently settling in the centre-right (where they are essentially sitting now). In turn, the Democratic left-wing might then split off to occupy the centre-left. That could effectively move the electable US political spectrum to the left - wishful thinking?

You are absolutely right and I don't think anyone on this website really loves Biden. But in the US, people are just happy to get rid of Trump. If Biden is the person that can make it happen, then let's go. The interesting bit will come when the US will get to decide on his successor in four years, but in the meantime, first things first: getting rid of Trump.

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Biden is completely meh but ‘anyone but Trump and the current GOP’ is a completely valid strategy given what they’ve done the past few years.

Mike Smalling

:lol:
So much to unpack here. First, obviously Trump has never listened to his music. Second, I had never heard of him before, but apparently he has been arrested and jailed multiple times - I guess law and order isn't that important to Trump if you are willing to endorse him. Third, 'Little Pimp' :lol: you just couldn't make it up.

A part of me hopes that the Donald loses all power, but that he sticks around for the entertainment value.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think the GOP will have an existential choice to make if Trump loses. They might go back to where they were previously. But if they continue to beat his drum, they might move themselves into an ineluctable niche - and the Dems might capitalize by permanently settling in the centre-right (where they are essentially sitting now). In turn, the Democratic left-wing might then split off to occupy the centre-left. That could effectively move the electable US political spectrum to the left - wishful thinking?

You are absolutely and I don't think anyone on this website really loves Biden. But in the US, people are just happy to get rid of Trump. If Biden is the person that can make it happen, then let's go. The interesting bit will come when the US will get to decide on his successor in four years, but in the meantime, first things first: getting rid of Trump.
Short term fix. The next cycle Biden will get all all the bad baggage from Trump's period and the next republican will swoop everything back. He just need to be not as bad as trump

Dudu

Deutsche Bank has about $340 million in loans outstanding to the Trump Organization, the president’s umbrella group that is currently overseen by his two sons, according to filings made by Trump to the US Office of Government Ethics in July and a senior source within the bank. The three loans, which are against Trump properties and start coming due in two years, are current on payments and personally guaranteed by the president, according to two bank officials.

In meetings in recent months, a Deutsche Bank management committee that oversees reputational and other risks for the lender in the Americas region has discussed ways in which it could rid the bank of these last vestiges of the relationship, two of the three bank officials said. The bank has over the years lent Trump more than $2 billion, one of the officials said.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Deutsche Bank has about $340 million in loans outstanding to the Trump Organization, the president’s umbrella group that is currently overseen by his two sons, according to filings made by Trump to the US Office of Government Ethics in July and a senior source within the bank. The three loans, which are against Trump properties and start coming due in two years, are current on payments and personally guaranteed by the president, according to two bank officials.

In meetings in recent months, a Deutsche Bank management committee that oversees reputational and other risks for the lender in the Americas region has discussed ways in which it could rid the bank of these last vestiges of the relationship, two of the three bank officials said. The bank has over the years lent Trump more than $2 billion, one of the officials said.
Poor DB. Must suck to have other criminals trying to get their money out of there with the spotlight on the accounts they hold. :rolleyes:

Simbo

So much to unpack here. First, obviously Trump has never listened to his music. Second, I had never heard of him before, but apparently he has been arrested and jailed multiple times - I guess law and order isn't that important to Trump if you are willing to endorse him. Third, 'Little Pimp' :lol: you just couldn't make it up.

A part of me hopes that the Donald loses all power, but that he sticks around for the entertainment value.
Don’t worry, we’ll have a good decade of entertainment as he battles against staying out of jail for the rest of his life. If he doesn’t flee to Russia or something, even then he’ll provide endless drama in one way or t’other.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If Trump loses, will he make a concession speech?
Nope, because he'll never admit that he's legitimately lost. He'll cry foul, launch a thousand law suits, dog-whistle the armed militia 'patriots' and try to pull down what's left of the pillars of democracy.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
and there is a 10000000000000% chance he did not write that.
The Trump version would have read:

"To all the fans of Americas favourite president: you know a winner when you see one! I've been the biggest gift you've ever had, and you're lucky to have me. I've achieved so much, some say more than any other president in history, and you know you want four more years of winning! http://Vote.DonaldJTrump.com"

Status
Not open for further replies.