The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

A lame duck Trump over four years would have been cataclysmic to the whole world.
Fixed.

We're already seeing his quasi-fascist rhetoric and strategies inspire leaders in other countries, spawning a host of copycat politicians and setting worrying precedences in even the most stable of democracies. That's not even going into the damage he's already caused to the fight against climate change, alienating allies, and emboldening despots like Putin, while (contrary to his apologist's claims) threatening peaceful and diplomatic strides in regions such as the middle east and South America. Another four years would have frightening implications for the democratic world, nevermind the US.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They're conveniently taking the moral high ground now that his presidency has all but reached its end. Where was this concern for the last four years, namely soon after the election?
Could have predicted this clockwork shift.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Fixed.

We're already seeing his quasi-fascist rhetoric and strategies inspire leaders in other countries, spawning a host of copycat politicians and setting worrying precedences in even the most stable of democracies. That's not even going into the damage he's already caused to the fight against climate change, alienating allies, and emboldening despots like Putin, while (contrary to his apologist's claims) threatening peaceful and diplomatic strides in regions such as the middle east and South America. Another four years would have frightening implications for the democratic world, nevermind the US.
Yep. Perfect amend. We couldn’t hope to contain a lame duck Trump. We still might not.

Mike Smalling

Wise move for him would be to pardon himself and his family and friends for any and all crimes and resign.
Has it been established that he has the power to preemptively pardon people incl. himself? That would be an insane amount of power to wield.

Drainy

Has it been established that he has the power to preemptively pardon people incl. himself? That would be an insane amount of power to wield.
He can for other people, never been tested by the courts for himself. However he could do the Nixon thing of resigning with the agreement that Pence would pardon him.

He should also leave the US, I think - sorry Scotland :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
My take is the new administration's DOJ would not bother taking up such a case.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well, the will of the people can get stymied by a simple DOJ memo from decades ago.

There’s a current portion of the DOJ that undoubtedly believes Trump could legally preemptively pardon himself.

All it may take is a simple memo to be written.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Hasn't his twitter ban ended now...

Must be killing him to know he cant tweet till he deletes his messages (implicitly if not explicitly accepting they were wrong) ... and yes despite democracy being in tatters, the deaths yesterday and the ongoing covid pandemic i suspect not being able to tweet is actually at the forefront of his thoughts

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Must be killing him to know he cant tweet till he deletes his messages (implicitly if not explicitly accepting they were wrong) ... and yes despite democracy being in tatters, the deaths yesterday and the ongoing covid pandemic i suspect not being able to tweet is actually at the forefront of his thoughts
This pissed me off when they restricted me for 12 hours after calling Trump an orange husk of a man, so I can't imagine how annoyed he must be :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Twitter had to have extended it. His last allowed tweet is from over 17 hours ago.

Trump over the last twelve-ish hours...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think twitter asked him to delete the tweets as a condition to not suspend his account permanently.
I thought it was delete them before he can tweet again (one the 12 h ban has expired)... but tweet anything like that again and he will be perma banned

EDIT

12 hour ban from when he deletes the posts

so might be a while before he can go on an ALL CAPS tweet rage

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I suppose they'll say 'I wasn't worried when it was all just rhetoric, but this is a new situation.' Politicians (and their staffers) seem to think there's this huge divide between words and action. Then they're all shocked when they're taken literally, or when people who don't have the power to talk big in Washington determine that action can be their only contribution to the conversation.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Politicians (and their staffers) seem to think there's this huge divide between words and action.
I mean, politicians usually say a lot of shit they have no intention of doing to get elected.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I mean, politicians usually say a lot of shit they have no intention of doing to get elected.
Yeah, I know - but I think this is not the exact same thing. It's 'just words' to them either way, but I think there is a difference between not enacting the health reform you promised and people attacking a building as a follow-up to your rhetoric. (Although arguably, the US has been hurt more over the decades by politicians wilfully misrepresenting socio-economic issues.)

Last edited:

Maagge

Yeah, I know - but I think this is not the exact same thing. It's 'just words' to them either, way but I think there is a difference between not enacting the health reform you promised and being attacking a building as a follow-up to your rhetoric. (Although arguably, the US has been hurt more over the decades by politicians wilfully misrepresenting socio-economic issues.)
I'm mostly being tongue in cheek to be honest.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Carry on fighting guys...

I think its time for the lock him up chants...
See? Everything is going to turn out ok.
He can for other people, never been tested by the courts for himself. However he could do the Nixon thing of resigning with the agreement that Pence would pardon him.

He should also leave the US, I think - sorry Scotland :lol:
He's already been told he can feck off if he tries to come here. He wouldn't be able to handle the sweet smell of freedom* that we have, anyway.

*It's actually 80% freedom, 15% whisky fumes and 5% chip fat.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

He's already been told he can feck off if he tries to come here. He wouldn't be able to handle the sweet smell of freedom* that we have, anyway.

If we can negotiate the whiskey and chip fat percentages up a bit I might be tempted to pop over for a visit.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If we can negotiate the whiskey and chip fat percentages up a bit I might be tempted to pop over for a visit.
:lol: nothing better than a visit to the Highlands in the middle of summer, the blistering sun on your back, the mountain paths, the stormy rain on your back, the tranquility, the scorching sun on your back, the cow flying overhead due to the second storm.

And that's before the first morning is over and you've barely gotten pished on local moonshine yet.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
:lol: nothing better than a visit to the Highlands in the middle of summer, the blistering sun on your back, the mountain paths, the stormy rain on your back, the tranquility, the scorching sun on your back, the cow flying overhead due to the second storm.

And that's before the first morning is over and you've barely gotten pished on local moonshine yet.
Sold

Maagge

That actually sounds a fair bit like a drive I had from Dufftown to Edinburgh a few years back.

The Firestarter

The wife and I decided that our first post-COVID travel spot will be Scotland. She wants to go for the history, I'm in it for the whiskey. I will be soliciting recommendations.
Shouldnt you be going to Ireland instead , for the whisky? :angel:

Balljy

When I last went to Glasgow it was at least 20% tobacco smoke. I got re-addicted to smoking from just walking around.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I would pay to watch a live stream of his private rants at the moment.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol: That was the sole reason we were there. We found a great little restaurant/pub with a tremendous selection of whisky.
:lol:
When I last went to Glasgow it was at least 20% tobacco smoke. I got re-addicted to smoking from just walking around.
Glasgow is completely different now. They even have a KayEffSee or whatever it's called.
The wife and I decided that our first post-COVID travel spot will be Scotland. She wants to go for the history, I'm in it for the whiskey. I will be soliciting recommendations.
https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/discover/distillery-map/

If you're lucky you can plan your route in a way that means you avoid any of the thousand or so shiteholes that exist everywhere on the map.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I would pay to watch a live stream of his private rants at the moment.
It would be epic, especially if there are minions packing up shit around him while he is losing his shit. That would only trigger him more.

Status
Not open for further replies.