The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm not going to get into a back and forth over it. But can you explain to me the ice age, and how the earth subsequently warmed afterwards? Real science is never settled, it is always evolving.
You do realise that these warming processes took thousands of years, right? The problem with us is that we're doing it at a much, much faster rate, and the fact that it is happening at such a rate is indicative of our own actions as humans in this process. This is pretty much undeniable at this point and just about all scientific information confirms it: again, I've asked if you have any information at hand which contradicts this widely accepted scientific notion, and you don't.

The fact that the likes of Trump, Carson and all these other arseholes deny that global warming is real and perhaps the biggest global issue we face is worrying. The fact that they do so when they have all the evidence available of its very real effect is indefensible. There's very little excuse at this stage: positive climate action would be a strong positive anyway, because even if the scientists are wrong we'd still be taking positive action towards the environment. Rather ironically, Trump and his ilk focus their attention on Middle Eastern immigration and refugees when continuing climate change will only drive more and more refugees away from their warmer homelands due to droughts etc.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I'm assuming @Jaxdan also supports creationism being taught in schools as an acceptable scientific alternative theory to evolution.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
surprised by this.... wern't all the commentators expecting a high turn out going into this?
Well it seems like there were a lot more Libertarian votes than 2012

2012 I think there were three states that voted over 2% Libertarian. None over 3%

2016 I count 46 states where over 2% voted Libertarian. Loads voted over 5% libertarian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2012#Results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016#Results

The 2.2% Liberterian vote in Florida, had it voted Clinton, would have been enough (2012 was 0.5%). Same story in Michigan (47.3% Clinton, 47.6% Trump, 3.6% Libertarian, 0.16% last time round and in Wisconsin.

So really, I think we can blame Sanders :lol:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
You'd just ignore it anyway. I won't waste my time or yours. Thousands of years. Yes, that's my point. Follow the money.
I'm really bored. Waste my time.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Just thinking that we're going to have watch four State of the Unions from the Donald. Feck. How is he even going to keep focus for that long?!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
You'd just ignore it anyway. I won't waste my time or yours. Thousands of years. Yes, that's my point. Follow the money.
No, I won't. I'd genuinely like to see you present some information which contradicts man-made climate change. And you're missing my point...the ice age heating took thousands of years. Average global temperatures have soared at worrying rates over the past generation or two.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just thinking that we're going to have watch four State of the Unions from the Donald. Feck. How is he even going to keep focus for that long?!
"If you get these right, and don't deviate from the prompter, you can play XBox for an hour when we get back to the White House"

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

Interesting graph. I only just realised how few votes Trump actually got. Compared to the total population he now holds sway over that's really kind of shocking. President of a country in which less than 1 in 5 people actually voted for him.
Sadly Obama did not do much better if you compare the total population to votes received. Trump received votes equal to roughly 18.5% of the total population. (depending on which population figure you use). Obama received votes equal to about 22.7% of the total population (again depending on which figure you use for population).

Of course not everyone in the population gets to vote, you take out all the under 18 year olds for example, the percentages get better but are still pretty poor.

PedroMendez

Acolyte

2012 I think there were three states that voted over 2% Libertarian. None over 3%

2016 I count 46 states where over 2% voted Libertarian. Loads voted over 5% libertarian.

The 2.2% Liberterian vote in Florida, had it voted Clinton, would have been enough (2012 was 0.5%). Same story in Michigan (47.3% Clinton, 47.6% Trump, 3.6% Libertarian, 0.16% last time round and in Wisconsin.

you do realize that libertarians - on average - fancy the GOP over the dems?

rcoobc

you do realize that libertarians - on average - fancy the GOP over the dems?
No I didn't know that :lol:

Although, you could say the Lib Dems have more in common with the Tories than Labour. They can still steal votes from each other.

Either way it's an increase on people who didnt fancy either Trump or Clinton

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's probably not true in all cases, but it's probably roughly true - Libertarians are typically quite right-wing in economic terms so they're primarily a party that would appeal to disillusioned Republicans who are perhaps a bit more liberal in their outlook. No doubt they'd have taken some Bernie supporters too but the bulk of their support and ideology sounds like it'd come from a more Republican base.

bucky

Although, you could say the Lib Dems have more in common with the Tories than Labour. They can still steal votes from each other.

Which makes it their fault and not Sanders.

rcoobc

It's probably not true in all cases, but it's probably roughly true - Libertarians are typically quite right-wing in economic terms so they're primarily a party that would appeal to disillusioned Republicans who are perhaps a bit more liberal in their outlook. No doubt they'd have taken some Bernie supporters too but the bulk of their support and ideology sounds like it'd come from a more Republican base.
Green vote would have won Wisconsin and Michigan for Hillary too

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Liberty is at the core of american conservatism, it is american conservatism and republicans are by definition american conservatist and therefore libertarians.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The opinion polls after the election suggested that the "other" voters leaned towards Clinton in an either/or scenario.

rcoobc

Which makes it their fault and not Sanders.
Yeah I was only joking about blaming Bernie.

It's interesting though. Maybe this is the where 3rd parties will start to actually get a hold.

Or maybe they won't

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Green vote would have won Wisconsin and Michigan for Hillary too
Yeah, true - I'd say the Green vote is quite inexcusable considering Stein was both a shite candidate herself, and also a bit irrelevant in the end considering how little of the vote she won in the end. Johnson at least looked mildly relevant in one or two states for a while - Stein didn't even manage that and only became more irrelevant as time wore on.

Still, there's got to be an element of blame as well for Hilary because her own campaign was ultimately unable to win those people over, and it was something that was hardly unexpected - she was always going to have a bit of an uphill battle to win the support of certain fringe groups who were disillusioned and she failed to win over enough in the end.

PedroMendez

Acolyte

US libertarians have nothing in common with british libdems. In European terms, they’d be considered classic-liberals. In British terms, they’d be somewhat like Thatcher (without the uber-nationalistic emphasis and different FP).

bucky

It's interesting though. Maybe this is the where 3rd parties will start to actually get a hold.

Or maybe they won't
Didn't realise. Apologies.

I doubt it, but I think it would be an improvement.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

its always the bloody commies!

rcoobc

US libertarians have nothing in common with british libdems. In European terms, they’d be considered classic-liberals. In British terms, they’d be somewhat like Thatcher (without the uber-nationalistic emphasis and different FP).
Christ can't be dealing with that.

How does these Libertarians feel about Trump potentially putting tariffs up? Is that actually a main issue for the Libertarian party? Would they be anti-trump because of this?

PedroMendez

Acolyte

Or maybe they won't

3rd parties are dead after this election. At least in my opinion and reading along the lines of various libertarian commentators, they think the same. We had the two most unpopular candidates ever and the most main-stream/normal/respectable libertarian ticket ever. Yet they achieved the square-root of nothing. This was the one chance to push 3rd parties into the debates and onto the national stage, but it failed miserably. At the same time “outsider” movements in both parties were fairly successful. That is going to be the model in the future. Progressives have a realistic chance to take over the Dems at some point. Libertarians as a party are just not able to attract enough voters and have to focus on specific policy fields, where their ideas are appealing.

3rd parties will continue to exist as networks for these ideologies, but they’ll never play a role in elections.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Christ can't be dealing with that.

How does these Libertarians feel about Trump potentially putting tariffs up? Is that actually a main issue for the Libertarian party? Would they be anti-trump because of this?

They are for free-trade (to the point that they’d unilaterally abolish all tariffs, even if the other side wouldn’t do the same). They are also very liberal when it comes to immigration, for non-militaristic foreign policy and small government. Libertarians hate Trump.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
These protests after the results of the election couldn't be a bigger disgrace. To think they had the audacity to call out on Trump for questioning the fairness of their glorious democracy.
They aren't questioning his legitimacy.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't think that's up for debate to be fair. He has done some amazing stuff in brain surgery.

The brilliance stops there unfortunately.
This. I'm amazed that anyone could think a neurosurgeon could be anything other than completely brilliant at their chosen profession.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
This. I'm amazed that anyone could think a neurosurgeon could be anything other than completely brilliant at their chosen profession.
It is not like it is unusual for someone to be a genius at one thing, but not so much about other things. You don't need to even take to the genius level. You can be an expert in one field and completely ignorant about other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.