The UEFA Euro Fantasy Draft

Sparky Rhiwabon

We need 3 players from that era though, so with that in mind, he's arguably the best available from that time frame.
I know, I get the rationale for it, I just think that most (not all) people will largely gloss over those players

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Puskas is a waste of a first pick IMO, especially with second pick overall. Hardly anyone on here will remember him so players like Zidane will be weighted much more highly.
Disagree there. Plenty of footage of him and he's one of the all time greats.. with the draft restrictions as it is he is a great pick.

Annahnomoss

I know, I get the rationale for it, I just think that most (not all) people will largely glaze over those players
While that is true, one of the points of these drafts is to educate people on players who deserve to be remembered. Also a big amount of votes comes from the people who participate/follow the drafts as regulars.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
"If I say Hungary, I say Puskas," Karpati went on. "If you go to Venezuela or Naples or Australia and you say Hungary, people would say Puskas. That says it all."

Puskas is one of the most famous names from that era and is (rightly so) very highly rated here even by "scanvoters", though most of them are actually reading all the information that is available for them in the threads.

So no, Puskas is one of the best picks in the first round, especially considering the quota

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I know, I get the rationale for it, I just think that most (not all) people will largely gloss over those players
Puskas played a huge role in two drafts in the last 6 months and always got his fair due. He together with Eusebio practically carried my team full of 50's and 60's players (many of them really unknown) to a semifinal in the manager draft against modern players. I never had the impression he's underrated at all, quite the opposite.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Puskas played a huge role in two drafts in the last 6 months and always got his fair due. He together with Eusebio practically carried my team full of 50's and 60's players (many of them really unknown) to a semifinal in the manager draft against modern players. I never had the impression he's underrated at all, quite the opposite.
So, you think Puskas is overrated? :lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Ffs I was dreaming of a cm duo of xavi and Rijkaard.
Could be wrong here but didn't he primarily play a CB for the 88 Netherlands team and in a back 3 during the 92 version? Don't think he played as a CM in the Euros but he was still his usual imperious self at the back though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Could be wrong here but didn't he primarily play a CB for the 88 Netherlands team and in a back 3 during the 92 version? Don't think he played as a CM in the Euros but he was still his usual imperious self at the back though.

Plays midfield here.. I think.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Rijkaard is always a good pick.

He did play centre half in '88 though as far as I'm aware so it'll be interesting to see how that develops.

NM

Puskas is a waste of a first pick IMO, especially with second pick overall. Hardly anyone on here will remember him so players like Zidane will be weighted much more highly.
couldn't be more wrong.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
From the footage I have seen of 92.. he is not really in defence, he is mostly in midfield - so it is either as a sweeper with freedom to roam or as a DM. Either way its Rijkaard .. so even as a CB you're getting GOAT quality in that role.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
On Rijkaard he was mostly in defence in 1988 and mostly in midfield in 1992. But probably the most striking feature was how he moved between the two as per the tactical requirements of and within each game. When they turn over Germany in the group stages, it's clear he's working in midfield. Then late on he is shifted back to defence (or shifts himself - you never know with these Dutchies) to deal with their more direct threat. @Joga Bonito I don't think those wikilinks for '92 are an accurate description of Holland' formation. My memory of his role in that tournament is of him influencing the game from one end of the park to the other.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Won't get any complaints if (when) he's utilized in midfield.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
1. crappycraperson - 1. Platini
2. Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine - 1. Puskas
3. Paolo Di Canio - 1. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. The Stain - 1. Zidane
5. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Van Basten
6. Stobzilla 1. Beckenbauer
7. Joga Bonito 1. Maldini
8. harms 1. Dragan Džajić
9. Aldo 1. Xavi
10. Raees & Gio 1. Frank Rijkaard
11. Theon & NM 1. Matthäus
12. The Red Viper 1.
13. big red123 1.
14. Šjor Bepo & VivaJanuzaj 1.
15. ctp 1.
16. PedroMendez 1.

@The Red Viper

NM

@Theon bottled it, and didn't go for the player we discussed. But based off the reaction, I'm glad he did.:lol:

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
1. crappycraperson - 1. Platini
2. Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine - 1. Puskás
3. Paolo Di Canio - 1. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. The Stain - 1. Zidane
5. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Van Basten
6. Stobzilla 1. Beckenbauer
7. Joga Bonito 1. Maldini
8. harms 1. Dragan Džajić
9. Aldo 1. Xavi
10. Raees & Gio 1. Frank Rijkaard
11. Theon & NM 1. Matthäus
12. The Red Viper 1. Gerd Müller
13. big red123 1.
14. Šjor Bepo & VivaJanuzaj 1.
15. ctp 1.
16. PedroMendez 1.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Ah feck, Maldini is gone!
Feck, Matthaus gone.

Told ya @coolredwine :lol:
Are you going to sound out your disappointment every time a GOAT is taken? :lol:. Come on, there was no way Maldini and Matthäus were going to be available for your second pick which is 28 picks away from your first pick. You make is sound like you just missed them by one or two picks. If this is a ploy to annoy the draft master Balu, then by all means go for it, for the drama :p.

On Rijkaard he was mostly in defence in 1988 and mostly in midfield in 1992. But probably the most striking feature was how he moved between the two as per the tactical requirements of and within each game. When they turn over Germany in the group stages, it's clear he's working in midfield. Then late on he is shifted back to defence (or shifts himself - you never know with these Dutchies) to deal with their more direct threat. @Joga Bonito I don't think those wikilinks for '92 are an accurate description of Holland' formation. My memory of his role in that tournament is of him influencing the game from one end of the park to the other.
Fair enough and I'll take your word for it. Tbh I'd rather people voice out their concerns about players positions etc in the main thread itself and get it sorted out instead of waiting for the matches to happen and then pinpointing them out which would be quite harsh imo, as the managers can't do anything about it. Btw I'm not a fan of that rule myself but do appreciate its purpose.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
He had only 1 game that Netherlands lost.. Let's see how voters judge him. Great piick though. Have to love Cruyff
i absolutely love Cruyff but this is an awful pick....

Don't think that changes his ability at the time.
it doesnt but we are judging players based on tournaments not on the time when the tournament was played.