The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

Showboating is absolutely embarrassing unless you can walk the walk. I had no problem with Ronaldinho showboating because he could do it against anyone from Getafe to Chelsea/Milan. But when Memphis Depay is showboating against some pub team from Midtjylland, only to disappear from the face of the earth as soon as he comes up against a Premier League side, it's pathetic.
Who gives a feck about Depay....

Mindhunter

People are forgetting that even the Manager needs time to settle even though he has managed in the PL for quite a few seasons. Our club is completely different from the club he managed before with a different set of expectations and philosophy to match to.

Given that, I believe Mourinho has done a brilliant job till now marrying his way of working with how United fans want the team to play. It's clear as daylight that he values being a part of our legacy and is trying his best to make it work long term here. It's not just another job for him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That was one game. In general, that Barca team was a lot more direct. Van Bommel's job was to destroy and lay the ball off to the more creative players. Giuly/Eto'o Ronaldinho were incredibly direct.
They averaged over 60% possession per game. Guardiola's version was a more extreme version of that, is all

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mourinho is not the right manager for united and klopp would be doing a better job. He'd also have you guys as spellbound as the guys on rawk

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Chelsea have a killer instinct which other teams in the Prem, United included, just don't have. They are serial winners.

Robbie Boy

Chelsea have a killer instinct which other teams in the Prem, United included, just don't have. They are serial winners.
Most of those same players were woeful last season. Things have clicked for them this season but I feel they need several upgrades. Next season will be far more telling when they actually have European fixtures again.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Most of those same players were woeful last season. Things have clicked for them this season but I feel they need several upgrades. Next season will be far more telling when they actually have European fixtures again.
Chelsea's squad certainly isn't perfect and they do need several upgrades, which is something that can be said about every Premier League team.

But I was talking specifically about mentality. If Liverpool, Arsenal or Tottenham had an 8 point lead, I'd say that the title fight is still very much on. With Chelsea, if feels like it's already over.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mourinho is not the right manager for united and klopp would be doing a better job. He'd also have you guys as spellbound as the guys on rawk
Have they been "spellbound" this last month? Or starting to get big doubts?

Robbie Boy

Chelsea's squad certainly isn't perfect and they do need several upgrades, which is something that can be said about every Premier League team.

But I was talking specifically about mentality. If Liverpool, Arsenal or Tottenham had an 8 point lead, I'd say that the title fight is still very much on. With Chelsea, if feels like it's already over.
Aye I agree with the mentality part. They bounced back from the Spurs defeat and didn't let it derail them. They aren't an exciting side by any means but they've been brilliantly efficient and certainly seem to be mentally strong.

flappyjay

Most people say signing a cb is a higher priority for us than signing a forward but I think I need another starter who can consistently score. Imagine where we would be if we didn't rely on Zlatan so much, our forward line has underwhelmed so much this season

Robbie Boy

Most people say signing a cb is a higher priority for us than signing a forward but I think I need another starter who can consistently score. Imagine where we would be if we didn't rely on Zlatan so much, our forward line has underwhelmed so much this season
I think most would have said it before the season started but I'm not so sure now. Jones and Rojo have both come back from the brink, Bailly has looked excellent and Smalling is a decent option. I do think we'll look to sign a CB this summer, though.

It's abundantly clear given our woeful chance conversion rate and lack of goals, that a forward player is definitely a priority. It's also feasible that Rooney may well move on in the summer leaving us an option short and Depay has already left.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This season? Or over the last decade? Or over the last 2 seasons?

Either way it's nonsense.

Nanotron

Mourinho will drive away Martial from United and we will end up regretting that for the following decade as he will become one of the best players in the world.

Mourinho will not win a single title at United and his title with Chelsea will end up to be the last major title in his career.

United will be waiting longer than Arsenal for its next PL title but not as long as Liverpool.

We will develop into a team where it is considered a successful season if we can top 4 and CL footy but there will be no titel expections anymore. In the next 20 years we will not be mentioned in the same vein anymore as clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona Bayern Munchen or Juventus but more with clubs like Tottenham and Ac.Milan.
Christ thats depressing

nick2004

The ultimate unpopular opinion for this forum:

Rooney will remain the top scorer for the next 100 years. In a decade or so, most people will believe that he is the best United player ever! :D

glucose

I really rate Rooney on the right wing - excellent crosser of the ball!

Ernest Rota

Mourinho can't develop martial into a world class player cause it's simply not one of his strengths. Wouldn't be surprised to see him (martial) sold in the summer if the right offer came in.

TheBiggest

Phil Jones is one of the most underrated players I've ever seen (I'm 38 now). Some lavish praise from Fergie (best since Duncan Edwards) and some dodgy images of his strange faces have not done him any favours...but players should be judged independently on the pitch only and from years of watching him, I feel he always puts in a stellar defensive performance and it's always worth noting that whichever striker he is tasked with taking care of in a game, never gets a sniff. I've even seen him mark Ronaldo out of a game.

He is just a brilliant reader of the game and a beast of a defender who is now getting a run of games under Mourinho's approach (who has an amazing history of keeping players fit). He will be a United and England regular for the next 8-years and in about three years time everyone will be talking about Phil Jones as if they never once slagged him between the years 2014-2017.

Great defenders like Gary Pallister, Tony Adams, John Terry,Rio Ferdinand...they all get slagged when they're 23/24 but when they reach peak age (26-32) they become greats and people forget they used to criticise them. Jones will be mentioned in the same breath as those guys. Amazing centre-half. We're so lucky to have him. I have no doubts about this opinion whatsoever.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

TheBiggest

Mourinho can't develop martial into a world class player cause it's simply not one of his strengths. Wouldn't be surprised to see him (martial) sold in the summer if the right offer came in.

I seriously wouldn't care.

1 Mourinho is worth 11 Martials. Players come and go...we got to get back to a stage where we put utter trust in a manager over a long period and let him make the decisions on his own squad.

I have never really cared who is in the squad, I obsess about who is in the dug-out; that's the most important decision for any club. We have the best in the business, we need to keep him there until he is calling time on his career.

TheBiggest

People are forgetting that even the Manager needs time to settle even though he has managed in the PL for quite a few seasons. Our club is completely different from the club he managed before with a different set of expectations and philosophy to match to.

Given that, I believe Mourinho has done a brilliant job till now marrying his way of working with how United fans want the team to play. It's clear as daylight that he values being a part of our legacy and is trying his best to make it work long term here. It's not just another job for him.

I completely agree; I genuinely feel that if we keep Mourinho at Old Trafford for the next 15-years we will win about 8 league titles. While we remain consistent in manager, City and Chelsea will be swapping and changing manager every two seasons..giving us the advantage overall. There will be times when City and Chelsea beat us to the tile (much like under Fergie) but our consistency will mean we will win more titles than them.

I also feel we will be an instant force in the Champions League under Mourinho...he has such a great record in that that competition...constantly advancing to the latter stages.

GazTheLegend

I feel like Chelsea are extremely beatable and nowhere near as good as everyone seems to think.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I don't think they will walk the league, and will be beaten quite a few more times before the end of the season. Whether any of the other teams have the consistency or quality to overtake them is a more difficult question.

Robbie Boy

I don't think Coutinho is anywhere near as good as some seem to think and Liverpool should cash in if they get offered big money.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Phil Jones is one of the most underrated players I've ever seen (I'm 38 now). Some lavish praise from Fergie (best since Duncan Edwards) and some dodgy images of his strange faces have not done him any favours...but players should be judged independently on the pitch only and from years of watching him, I feel he always puts in a stellar defensive performance and it's always worth noting that whichever striker he is tasked with taking care of in a game, never gets a sniff. I've even seen him mark Ronaldo out of a game.

He is just a brilliant reader of the game and a beast of a defender who is now getting a run of games under Mourinho's approach (who has an amazing history of keeping players fit). He will be a United and England regular for the next 8-years and in about three years time everyone will be talking about Phil Jones as if they never once slagged him between the years 2014-2017.

Great defenders like Gary Pallister, Tony Adams, John Terry,Rio Ferdinand...they all get slagged when they're 23/24 but when they reach peak age (26-32) they become greats and people forget they used to criticise them. Jones will be mentioned in the same breath as those guys. Amazing centre-half. We're so lucky to have him. I have no doubts about this opinion whatsoever.
His injuries are what has let him down massively, and he's said some of his fitness issues were probably invented out of fear.

When he's fit, he's one of our most consistent players. If he can stay relatively injury free for the next 18 months we will see how he's maturing.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Wow. Surprised about the Klopp comments. I do too think he'd do a good job at United. Probably better than Mourinho.

The problem with Mourinho is teams eventually figure out how to counter him. He'll win the premier league then he'll struggle for a few seasons after and vanish. No longevity.

Short term success though is actually what you might need. Get a prem trophy, buy some world class talent, big yourselves up. then when he leaves you can get another world class manager.

You don't/won't be able to get another Fergie. Klopp is the last person that comes anywhere close to that. And by close I don't mean he's as good as fergie I just mean if any manager in the world is anything like Fergie it would be Klopp.

CM

Many of the players who are frequently deemed 'not good enough' by posters on here are actually valuable squad members. Likewise, it's okay to admit there's a middle ground between being brilliant and shit.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wow. Surprised about the Klopp comments. I do too think he'd do a good job at United. Probably better than Mourinho.

The problem with Mourinho is teams eventually figure out how to counter him. He'll win the premier league then he'll struggle for a few seasons after and vanish. No longevity.

Short term success though is actually what you might need. Get a prem trophy, buy some world class talent, big yourselves up. then when he leaves you can get another world class manager.

You don't/won't be able to get another Fergie. Klopp is the last person that comes anywhere close to that. And by close I don't mean he's as good as fergie I just mean if any manager in the world is anything like Fergie it would be Klopp.
Don't disagree that Klopp would be a good fit at United but I actually think Pochettino is the closest thing modern football has to Fergie, the man's excellent.

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...nchester-united-david-gill-influence-12504636

Not sure where this best would go, didn't seem worth starting a new thread as it'd undoubtedly be unpopular (hence why this thread seemed fair game), but I was interested in seeing opinions of the other side; do you lot think it's reasonable for Gill to have the roles he does? There are many examples of potential conflicts of interest being totally avoided as it could be unfair, even if they weren't necessarily planning on being bias - so why does it not seem to apply in this specific situation?

For me it seems madness that someone can have the active roles Gill has, even if he tries his hardest to be fair, like Gary Neville for instance, it's still hard not to have any bias at all. Even if he doesn't put forward any of that bias, it seems so open to question & conspiracy that you'd think the FA wouldn't allow such a situation to have arisen.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

People seem to recycle these comments about Mourinho, ignoring that he succeeds everywhere he's been, and writing him off as "only guaranteeing a few years success". That was the sort of mixed up thinking that made us go for Moyes, as if he would somehow guarantee decades of success, based on next to nothing.

Klopp had an appalling season at Dortmund late on, does that suggest he was countered? Probably.

He's still got it all to prove, and has one heck of a job to do.
The very fortuitous timing of some of the usually "tough" away games, such as Arsenal on the first day, when Arsenal had half their team out, and were unprepared for the season start as usual, and also Chelsea before they got into beast mode propelled Liverpool to a great start, but now we're seeing how a fairly weak squad and knackering style of play can very quickly lead to a meltdown.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
People seem to recycle these comments about Mourinho, ignoring that he succeeds everywhere he's been, and writing him off as "only guaranteeing a few years success".
How's that writing someone off, exactly? Success should be what you want. If he wins 2 league titles, gets into the final stages of the CL, and leaves leaving you with a team with Pogba, Martial, Griezmann, Rashford, Bailly, etc., I'd say he'd have done a pretty good job overall.

I just think Klopp could have done just as good a job, while also being more of a united manager, playing better/more entertaining attacking football

Status
Not open for further replies.