The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Withnail

That your blood has such a high concentration of antibodies that enough of them will be effective to stop infection/symptoms, as omicron has considerable antibody escape

They still believe from other immune defences 2 doses should be enough to prevent most serious illness but you might still get symptoms
Ok, I see what you mean there but I don't really get your reason for not taking it. You're suggesting that's a gamble as well. If you've had the first two with no issues what would the concern be about getting the booster?

Bosws87

Ok, I see what you mean there but I don't really get your reason for not taking it. You're suggesting that's a gamble as well. If you've had the first two with no issues what would the concern be about getting the booster?
more just a personal choice of not going for injections every 12 weeks then anything, wouldn’t encourage anyone either way which they choose personal choice.

As long as you educate yourself and read solid factual based stuff and make a choice from that. People getting their information off Facebook are just idiots.

Last edited:

Withnail

more just a personal choice of not going for injections every 12 weeks then anything, wouldn’t encourage anyone either way which they choose personal choice.
Ah ok - Nothing scientific then :D

I do see what you mean and I don't expect that there will be injections every 12 weeks. I see this as a reaction to omicron and the timing of it being so close to Christmas.

I got it today (2nd Dose was mid-July) for peace of mind before Christmas as I'm going to my parents for dinner and there'll be about 12 of us there.

Bosws87

Ah ok - Nothing scientific then :D

I do see what you mean and I don't expect that there will be injections every 12 weeks. I see this as a reaction to omicron and the timing of it being so close to Christmas.

I got it today (2nd Dose was mid-July) for peace of mind before Christmas as I'm going to my parents for dinner and there'll be about 12 of us there.
Haha no I don’t think suddenly there’s going to be any long term issues it’s all a bit confusing you have got the WHO today saying blanket boosters will prolong the pandemic so even the science isn’t clear.

Both my parents have had it and if I was their age I’d probs be lining up to!

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Haha no I don’t think suddenly there’s going to be any long term issues it’s all a bit confusing you have got the WHO today saying blanket boosters will prolong the pandemic so even the science isn’t clear.

Both my parents have had it and if I was their age I’d probs be lining up to!
It’s refreshing to see you aren’t just deciding on a whim, and of course I respect your personal choice. But I do think the logic is flawed. The science does show now (albeit not 100% conclusive in terms of %s because date is still coming in but is clearly advanced enough to be reliable in saying it does have a strong effect) that the booster not only increases your ability to prevent infection, but also that it creates a stronger response if you do end up catching it. You also have to consider the WHOs agenda, which (perhaps rightly) would rather see the doses go to countries with low vaccine rates because on a holistic basis, it has an overall more net positive effect. I think if we were still at delta, your argument would be stronger because the booster impact for individuals at lower risk is probably negligible. But in the case of omicron, I think the science is starting to show it is more than a marginal impact. So it just seems odd to stop at 2 rather than 3, is my thought.

On the wider point of constant injections, I was having this conversation with someone earlier today incidentally. I think whilst we are in this “phase” of Covid, I could tolerate a jab every few months if that’s what it took. But if the next dose didn’t have scientifically a big impact I’d certainly be less in a rush (for use of a better word) to get it. Longer term, something annual would be fine and every 6 months (if again the science showed it was needed to vastly improve protection to both infection and serious illness) would just about be tolerable.

And that’s independent of the constant moral question of where should doses really be going if demand outstrips supply. On a wider moral level it does hit me somewhat that many African countries have vaccination rates in single digits and here we are running around grabbing three doses.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Getting injected everyday is a reality for some with medical problems or with a drug addiction. Once every 12 weeks wouldn't bother me x

Bosws87

It’s refreshing to see you aren’t just deciding on a whim, and of course I respect your personal choice. But I do think the logic is flawed. The science does show now (albeit not 100% conclusive in terms of %s because date is still coming in but is clearly advanced enough to be reliable in saying it does have a strong effect) that the booster not only increases your ability to prevent infection, but also that it creates a stronger response if you do end up catching it. You also have to consider the WHOs agenda, which (perhaps rightly) would rather see the doses go to countries with low vaccine rates because on a holistic basis, it has an overall more net positive effect. I think if we were still at delta, your argument would be stronger because the booster impact for individuals at lower risk is probably negligible. But in the case of omicron, I think the science is starting to show it is more than a marginal impact. So it just seems odd to stop at 2 rather than 3, is my thought.

On the wider point of constant injections, I was having this conversation with someone earlier today incidentally. I think whilst we are in this “phase” of Covid, I could tolerate a jab every few months if that’s what it took. But if the next dose didn’t have scientifically a big impact I’d certainly be less in a rush (for use of a better word) to get it. Longer term, something annual would be fine and every 6 months (if again the science showed it was needed to vastly improve protection to both infection and serious illness) would just about be tolerable.

And that’s independent of the constant moral question of where should doses really be going if demand outstrips supply. On a wider moral level it does hit me somewhat that many African countries have vaccination rates in single digits and here we are running around grabbing three doses.
is there actually a study in the real world of the above, i keep up to date as much as i can and the last i heard this was all based on blood samples in a lab and still inconclusive how much it prevented symptomatic infection, i've seen the articles released from Pfizer/Moderna.

It definitely gives you a stronger point on initial infection just because theres more antibodies within the blood, but if it bypasses a considerable amount how dramatically different is it to someone 12 weeks down the line from the second, if an infection takes hold, lets say in a 18-35 year old rather then a 60+ year old.

Be interesting to just read through, its all very hard to grasp for people at a 0.5%ish hospitalization rate of omicron a 20/30% increase on an individual level is non existent, hugely different in a 70 million population though.

Last edited:

Withnail

Feck all queues at the walk-in today thankfully. It was lashing rain this morning so that might have helped. I was out in about 25mins.

Moderna booster after Pfizer. I haven't had any adverse affects so far but an excuse not to log in to the work laptop on me last day tomorrow wouldn't be too bad.

EDIT: Sore arm and a bit of back pain kicking now. Maybe I spoke too soon. After reading the posts above I think I'd rather be in work
No real reaction in the end but the arm is in bits. I can't lift it above elbow height but that should ease off throughout the day.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just a pause to look at the numbers from our immunity poll.

We've had 514 responses so far.

2 of us have been unable to have the vaccine - if this is you, I hope your wait ends safely and soon.
26 have chosen not to be vaxxed.
However 20 of the 28 in these groups do have a past infection, which may still be helping protect them.

223 have been vaccinated but haven't had a booster.
263 of us have not only been vaxxed we've had a booster - that's around 51% of the responders.
70 (about 14%) of the vaxxed have had covid - before or since they had their vaccine. If it's any consolation, then the good news is hybrid immunity looks excellent.

By global standards, looks like we're well prepared for the next round. Fingers crossed we'll all make it safely through the busy Christmas program, and we'll get the right kind of reinforcements (the kind that come cheap like boosters/vaccines) rather than the expensive and painful sort in the New Year.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
No real reaction in the end but the arm is in bits. I can't lift it above elbow height but that should ease off throughout the day.
I certainly had more pain with this third jab, but that was partly because the nurse was a bit careless and injected me right at the top of my arm, rather than in the main part of my deltoid. I had quite severe arm pain for a few days and also some very bad neck and shoulder pain, which seems to have largely subsided now (a week afterwards).

RoadTrip

I certainly had more pain with this third jab, but that was partly because the nurse was a bit careless and injected me right at the top of my arm, rather than in the main part of my deltoid. I had quite severe arm pain for a few days and also some very bad neck and shoulder pain, which seems to have largely subsided now (a week afterwards).
Literally what happened to me, too.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Getting injected everyday is a reality for some with medical problems or with a drug addiction. Once every 12 weeks wouldn't bother me x
Good point. I just want to be around for my kids and this damn virus is too much of a Russian roulette to take a chance when there is vaccines to boost your chances.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just a pause to look at the numbers from our immunity poll.

We've had 514 responses so far.

2 of us have been unable to have the vaccine - if this is you, I hope your wait ends safely and soon.
26 have chosen not to be vaxxed.
However 20 of the 28 in these groups do have a past infection, which may still be helping protect them.

223 have been vaccinated but haven't had a booster.
263 of us have not only been vaxxed we've had a booster - that's around 51% of the responders.
70 (about 14%) of the vaxxed have had covid - before or since they had their vaccine. If it's any consolation, then the good news is hybrid immunity looks excellent.

By global standards, looks like we're well prepared for the next round. Fingers crossed we'll all make it safely through the busy Christmas program, and we'll get the right kind of reinforcements (the kind that come cheap like boosters/vaccines) rather than the expensive and painful sort in the New Year.
I’d be curious to know if anyone from our board has unfortunately died because off it
I know that’s morbid but I’m curious

Mihai

3xPfizer member as of today.

There were 10 people in front of me in the queue, which was strange. The vaccination centers close in Guy's Hospital are usually quite busy.

pacifictheme

Had my booster yesterday, was very quick, in and out in 5 minutes. Woke up this morning feeling a bit under the weather which I did not after my first and second dose but I did have to get up at 5 with the kids so I doubt that helped. Went back to bed at 8 for a couple of hours and feel fine now. All Pfizer.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Got my booster earlier and supposed to be going on the beer later so I'm hoping the side effects hold off til tomorrow. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Crazy the pace in Ireland right now. 181k administered yesterday. That's around 2% of the population!

ShinjiNinja26

Slightly biased as I work for NHS and have been involved with Vaccinations but they’ve really done a cracking job ramping up to save Boris’ New Years parties!
Really showing up these PL footballers when Britain has become the most vaccine boosted country in the world yet the Prem is lagging behind most European leagues in vaccine uptake. These cnuts need to get their act together.

Withnail

Well, that was the strange part. I hardly felt any of the needles at all and the placement seems fine. It's just very sore this time.

RoadTrip

That's interesting. I have arthritis in my neck so I thought it was that at first, but the pain was different, the kind that makes you feel a bit nauseous. Anyway, I toughed it out. :D
I wasn’t sure if it was because it was higher up my arm or just natural variance of reaction. All 3 of my jabs my only symptom was a sore arm, which was more sore on the third so was wondering if it was just because it was higher up my arm or not. I literally have no idea if that is true or not though but was interesting to read your post :lol:

dinostar77

Annoyed that my my sisters have suddenly become antivaxers (only on subject of covid) and both refuse to get vaccinated. Worse is that they have convinced my dad not to get vaccinated. My mum cant get vaccinated for medical reasons and she wanted to.

It's the usual, "mainstream media are pushing a pro vaccine agenda and not giving both sides of the story.."

"...my mates mum had the vaccine and lost the use of her left hand, shes crippled now..."

"...such and such aunty had the vaccine and died from it.."

There will always be people who unfortunately have a reaction to any vaccine. There is no vaccine that is 100% guaranteed to have zero side effects. Just annoying that my sisters refuse to see sense.

Bratt

@Pogue Mahone @jojojo
I finally got my date for the booster, january 3rd.
My first shot was pfizer and second was moderna. I’ve heard some people get to choose which one they want for their booster, which one of these two would you recommend?
I don’t care about side effects for a few days, I just want the best protection.

ChaddyP

getting boosted next week. 2 astra so far, last shot was in june. Jamaican Government imploring all citizens that got the last shot 6 months ago to get boosted.

we are getting Pfzier for the boosted shot.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Booster done just now. Pfizer again. Very efficient with people coming in, jabbed & done without much wait - great job by all involved.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
@Pogue Mahone @jojojo
I finally got my date for the booster, january 3rd.
My first shot was pfizer and second was moderna. I’ve heard some people get to choose which one they want for their booster, which one of these two would you recommend?
I don’t care about side effects for a few days, I just want the best protection.
Not enough difference between the two mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) to make a decision. You’ll get similar protection no matter which of the two you choose.

I would personally take either of those two ahead of AZ. Although there’s some evidence out recently that it also works pretty well as a booster.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Annoyed that my my sisters have suddenly become antivaxers (only on subject of covid) and both refuse to get vaccinated. Worse is that they have convinced my dad not to get vaccinated. My mum cant get vaccinated for medical reasons and she wanted to.

It's the usual, "mainstream media are pushing a pro vaccine agenda and not giving both sides of the story.."

"...my mates mum had the vaccine and lost the use of her left hand, shes crippled now..."

"...such and such aunty had the vaccine and died from it.."

There will always be people who unfortunately have a reaction to any vaccine. There is no vaccine that is 100% guaranteed to have zero side effects. Just annoying that my sisters refuse to see sense.
Ask your parents to change the will so only you benefit if they die from covid and see if your siblings change their tune then.

Dante

Average bang
I actually have no idea what I was boosted with.

I went to a walk-in clinic this afternoon and was in and out in about 10 minutes. It was almost like a military operation. Probably because it was a military operation. They had army personnel running the reception and also (judging by uniforms) army doctors giving out the jabs.

My first two were AstraZeneca. I guess I'm gonna have to wait for my online NHS record to be updated to find out the make of the third.