The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I actually have no idea what I was boosted with.

I went to a walk-in clinic this afternoon and was in and out in about 10 minutes. It was almost like a military operation. Probably because it was a military operation. They had army personnel running the reception and also (judging by uniforms) army doctors giving out the jabs.

My first two were AstraZeneca. I guess I'm gonna have to wait for my online NHS record to be updated to find out the make of the third.
If you get the NHS App you should be able to see.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
more just a personal choice of not going for injections every 12 weeks then anything, wouldn’t encourage anyone either way which they choose personal choice.

As long as you educate yourself and read solid factual based stuff and make a choice from that. People getting their information off Facebook are just idiots.
Not unusual for vaccines. Two common and very useful vaccines have a multi-dose cycle; Twinrix, one of many Hepatitis A vaccines requires two doses, and Gardasil 9 which protects against Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), requires three.

Bosws87

Not unusual for vaccines. Two common and very useful vaccines have a multi-dose cycle; Twinrix, one of many Hepatitis A vaccines requires two doses, and Gardasil 9 which protects against Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), requires three.
A report has just come out today saying the effects of the booster is already waning after 8-10 weeks in people and infection protection drops down to 25% so 4 is already in the pipeline.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
A report has just come out today saying the effects of the booster is already waning after 8-10 weeks in people and infection protection drops down to 25% so 4 is already in the pipeline.
So the booster increases your protection for a time, what's the downside again?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Even just 8 to 10 weeks protection (and it won’t be binary, suddenly dropping to zero at week 10) will get you through the omicron wave. Obviously up to you whether or not you’d like some additional protection over winter but I’ve been getting my annual flu jab at work for years now. Just seems common sense to take the opportunity to avoid a nasty winter viral illness when it’s offered to you.

Bosws87

Even just 8 to 10 weeks protection (and it won’t be binary, suddenly dropping to zero at week 10) will get you through the omicron wave. Obviously up to you whether or not you’d like some additional protection over winter but I’ve been getting my annual flu jab at work for years now. Just seems common sense to take the opportunity to avoid a nasty winter viral illness when it’s offered to you.
I’ve never had the flu or the flu as it’s described anyway so I couldn’t comment on that one. Interested in the long term protection if it even changes or just resets back to a baseline.

Dante

Average bang
Presumably, if you catch Omicron during that 8-10 week window, your body's antibody response will give you longer term protection anyway.

So getting a booster during this fourth wave is still the safest way to stay protected for the months to come.

King Eric 7

I actually have no idea what I was boosted with.

I went to a walk-in clinic this afternoon and was in and out in about 10 minutes. It was almost like a military operation. Probably because it was a military operation. They had army personnel running the reception and also (judging by uniforms) army doctors giving out the jabs.

My first two were AstraZeneca. I guess I'm gonna have to wait for my online NHS record to be updated to find out the make of the third.
I just had an appointment for a booster. The nurse told me it was a Moderna shot. I have the NHS app so when I get home I took a look at my patient record and the Moderna booster info was already there.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Was pleased the booster was the first one that hasn’t made me ill but my back is in bits

evil_geko

Boosted an hour ago, third Pfizer, couldn't be arsed to wait mid January for full 8 months.

With first two I only had bad arm soreness that I couldn't even sleep on that side, we shall see with this one.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
How is that a downside of the booster?
The downside is that - in the near future - people once boosted become reputedly insufficiently protected and will have to rush for a 4th dose, and continue to show a QR code in order to have the illusion of having a form of normal life.

Small price to pay for the level of protection though.
You know nothing about the long-term health risks associated with getting multiple doses in a short period of time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The downside is that - in the near future - people once boosted become reputedly insufficiently protected and will have to rush for a 4th dose, and continue to show a QR code in order to have the illusion of having a form of normal life.
Why would people become insufficiently protected due to the booster? What kind of scientific evidence/logic are you basing that idea from?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Why would people become insufficiently protected due to the booster? What kind of scientific evidence/logic are you basing that idea from?
Boosters are promoted because we have been told that two doses are not enough to get protected from the Macron virus.

Israel is already about to give fourth dose of vaccine to over-60s
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-59749967

The question I am wondering is Are we supposed to get 8 or 12 doses by the end of 2022?

To be honest, I can't wait for the 6th dose and get a proper gift voucher.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Boosters are promoted because we have been told that two doses are not enough to get protected from the Macron virus.

The question I am wondering is Are we supposed to get 8 or 12 doses by the end of 2022?

One word: mutations

JPRouve

Scout

That doesn't answer the question. The logic that you are following is similar to someone claiming that there is no point to go to the toilets today since he may have to go tomorrow while also suggesting that going to the toilet reduces the capacity of your bladder.

djembatheking

Are there any benefits for younger people in catching Omicron if it proves to be mild and gaining immunity that way rather than being boosted? Most the elderly and vulnerable must be boosted and safe for 6 months or so in the UK now surely?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Give it a rest, please. This is not the thread for asking obviously stupid questions.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

You know nothing about the long-term health risks associated with getting multiple doses in a short period of time.
We know about the potential health risks of covid, both short and long term (not even counting death)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That doesn't answer the question. The logic that you are following is similar to someone claiming that there is no point to go to the toilets today since he may have to go tomorrow while also suggesting that going to the toilet reduces the capacity of your bladder.
You do your business (or go to the toilet if you prefer) because you have no choice: this a practice consubstantial to the human nature. Is it possible not to go the toilets over a long period of time? I do not think so but this is my personal opinion.

My previous posts were about going to the GP or a test centre, which is still a voluntary choice, technically escapable to a certain extent of course for the worse or the best.

I am afraid that your analogy is not relevant at all.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
We know about the potential health risks of covid, both short and long term (not even counting death)
Sure and that is why vaccination campaigns are a success.

Give it a rest, please. This is not the thread for asking obviously stupid questions.
You will grow as an individual if your thinking is challenged.

One word: mutations
Yes. Time will tell if the next generation of variants will become less or more lethal.

JPRouve

Scout
You do your business (or go to the toilet if you prefer) because you have no choice: this a practice consubstantial to the human nature. Is it possible not to go the toilets over a long period of time? I do not think so but this is my personal opinion.

My previous posts were about going to the GP or a test centre, which is still a voluntary choice, technically escapable to a certain extent of course for the worse or the best.

I am afraid that your analogy is not relevant at all.
When a wise man points at the moon, an idiot looks at his finger.

The analogy is about the fact that going to the toilet today won't be the reason why you will need to go later in time. For some strange reason, you linked getting vaccinated today as the reason why people may also need to be vaccinated later.

Tarrou

this sentence makes absolutely feckall sense mate

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

So please tell me all about your deep knowledge of this subject then as I am genuinely interested.

Dante

Average bang

Think of Omicron as a different disease, if that helps.

It can be tempting to want to create a worldview consisting of small set of simple of propositions. But life is inevitably more complicated than that. And so are the solutions its problems.

Covid is evolving and multifarious. We can't expect a single quickfix to solve it - and everything like it - forever and ever.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I self-banned myself from COVID threads to keep my sanity. Feeling fat and happy from a great holiday weekend I ventured into this one to take a look. Bad move.

I spent a decade doing infectious disease research, with a focus on respiratory diseases. I have followed that up with another decade of working daily with academic and industry researchers in the ID field. None of that will mater to the "I did my own research" crowd. The amount of absolute shit flowing from your keyboards is mind blowing and predictable.

Time to resume my self-ban. Kudos to those of you who keep up the fight, you are better men/women than I am.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I self-banned myself from COVID threads to keep my sanity. Feeling fat and happy from a great holiday weekend I ventured into this one to take a look. Bad move.

I spent a decade doing infectious disease research, with a focus on respiratory diseases. I have followed that up with another decade of working daily with academic and industry researchers in the ID field. None of that will mater to the "I did my own research" crowd. The amount of absolute shit flowing from your keyboards is mind blowing and predictable.

Time to resume my self-ban. Kudos to those of you who keep up the fight, you are better men/women than I am.
They keep popping up out of the woodwork with guns blazing, don’t they?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
So please tell me all about your deep knowledge of this subject then as I am genuinely interested.
I know nothing about the subject but I wouldn't suggest the Covid vaccine is risk-free.

When a wise man points at the moon, an idiot looks at his finger. The analogy is about the fact that going to the toilet today won't be the reason why you will need to go later in time. For some strange reason, you linked getting vaccinated today as the reason why people may also need to be vaccinated later.
You do not seem to be an expert at detecting irony.

Did you work on something related to the Covid vaccine?

If the answer is negative, I don't know why you feel superior... If the answer is positive, please join us :)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I know nothing about the subject but I wouldn't suggest the Covid vaccine is risk-free.

You do not seem to be an expert at detecting irony.

Did you work on something related to the Covid vaccine?

If the answer is negative, I don't know why you feel superior... If the answer is positive, please join us :)

I worked in a lab that was part of the vaccine development for Prevnar, the polyvalent pneumococcal vaccine. I have read hundreds of journal articles on respiratory viruses and bacteria and dozens of articles on vaccine development. I am published in these areas. If this does not make me more informed (I am not "superior" to any human) in the area of vaccines and respiratory diseases then most people, then what does?

If your criteria to be "superior" is that one must work exactly on the topic in discussion, then I must ask if you hold this standard to all areas of your life. If a mechanic has not trained on the exact make/model/year of your car will you not hold their opinion higher than a google search or youtube video? If an oncologist specializes in prostate cancer would you not treat their diagnosis of lung cancer more informed than a WebMD search?

TheLiverBird

I worked in a lab that was part of the vaccine development for Prevnar, the polyvalent pneumococcal vaccine. I have read hundreds of journal articles on respiratory viruses and bacteria and dozens of articles on vaccine development. I am published in these areas. If this does not make me more informed (I am not "superior" to any human) in the area of vaccines and respiratory diseases then most people, then what does?

If your criteria to be "superior" is that one must work exactly on the topic in discussion, then I must ask if you hold this standard to all areas of your life. If a mechanic has not trained on the exact make/model/year of your car will you not hold their opinion higher than a google search or youtube video? If an oncologist specializes in prostate cancer would you not treat their diagnosis of lung cancer more informed than a WebMD search?
You’ve nailed it

Sadly we live amongst some special idiots

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Here's a question, now that they've opened up vaccination to 5 year olds, how important is it to get that age group vaccinated?

I haven't given it much thought, since the focus to now has been on older age groups.

I'm double jabbed, soon to be triple jabbed, so I've no reluctance to the vaccine.

Is the thinking behind vaccinating kids that it limits transmissions?

Genuinely just wondering how much I should prioritise getting my 6 year old done.

reelworld

Here's a question, now that they've opened up vaccination to 5 year olds, how important is it to get that age group vaccinated?

I haven't given it much thought, since the focus to now has been on older age groups.

I'm double jabbed, soon to be triple jabbed, so I've no reluctance to the vaccine.

Is the thinking behind vaccinating kids that it limits transmissions?

Genuinely just wondering how much I should prioritise getting my 6 year old done.
I think that's the general idea.