The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wolverine

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Are there any vaccine experts that can make a wild guess on how much there's possible in the realm of vaccine research for a future vaccine with big long-term immunity (against infection)? Something similar to Tetanus (8-10 years) or even yellow fever (lifetime)?
Or are respiratory tract infections too different and the very likely outcome is similar to the flu shot (yearly, slightly tweaked regarding variants)?

zing

Zingle balls
Between 2 people A and B, both fully vaccinated, if person B has been exposed to the virus(but did not contract it), will they have better immunity the next time of exposure on average, compared to person A?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Between 2 people A and B, both fully vaccinated, if person B has been exposed to the virus(but did not contract it), will they have better immunity the next time of exposure on average, compared to person A?
In terms of antibody response, it is slightly better than having a booster (double vax+infection >= double+booster)
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2119641

In terms of T-cell response, which seems to be the main way vaccines/infections are protective against omicron, from the article linked to what @Wibble just posted, it seems to be like 2 doses of J&J or Pfizer (Fig 1e, g here; this study doesn't seem to have boosters)

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Being strategic, I've put off having the booster til I'm back at work.

Half day off to have the shot and legit reason to ring in sick for 2 days after, yeah my motivation to work is at an all time low, but I went nowhere over xmas.

I've had the worst reaction to previous shots to anyone I know - wrecked for 24 hours after the first, good for nothing for 48 hours after the second, so I'm expecting similar after the third, I'd rather do it on paid time than leave.

I'll book it tomorrow, my 6 year olds getting jabbed on Friday, I've much more irrational anxiety about that.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Half day off to have the shot and legit reason to ring in sick for 2 days after, yeah my motivation to work is at an all time low, but I went nowhere over xmas.

I've had the worst reaction to previous shots to anyone I know - wrecked for 24 hours after the first, good for nothing for 48 hours after the second, so I'm expecting similar after the third, I'd rather do it on paid time than leave.

I'll book it tomorrow, my 6 year olds getting jabbed on Friday, I've much more irrational anxiety about that.
That's a smart plan, Popper. Good luck!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
That's a smart plan, Popper. Good luck!
To be honest, it gave me the perfect excuse to just avoid absolutely all family members over the break, which suits my antisocial arse just fine.

Added bonus, I just did a shitload of hunting for 2 weeks :) (feck all pheasants around this winter :mad:).

I'll get boosted this week and will then, unfortunately have no excuse to avoid family commitments :(, but you can be damn sure I'll get 2 more paid sick days out of it.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
To be honest, it gave me the perfect excuse to just avoid absolutely all family members over the break, which suits my antisocial arse just fine.

Added bonus, I just did a shitload of hunting for 2 weeks :) (feck all pheasants around this winter :mad:).

I'll get boosted this week and will then, unfortunately have no excuse to avoid family commitments :(, but you can be damn sure I'll get 2 more paid sick days out of it.
Sounds nice.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Italy is making vaccination mandatory for all employees. Previously, people could show negative tests.

This means that the Green Pass with proof of vaccination or recent recovery from Covid is basically required for absolutely everything here now.

Italy is making vaccination mandatory for all employees. Previously, people could show negative tests.

This means that the Green Pass with proof of vaccination or recent recovery from Covid is basically required for absolutely everything here now.
They have backed down on that now. It will be confirmed today but as a compromise they are talking about mandatory vaccination for over 50s/60s and for any employee who has contact with the public.

Are Italy really gonna continue attempting to vaccinate their entire population every 6 months for eternity? What is their end game here :confused:
I see even that Prof Pollard has stated that it’s “not sustainable or affordable” to vaccinate the entire population every 4-6 months; and he’s the director of the Oxford Vaccine Group and head of the UK's Committee on Vaccination and Immunization.

Last edited:

Abizzz

Same here. All my friends taking their shots with no side affects at all and I had the worst headache I've ever expierenced for about 48 hours. I had both doses of Moderna, what was yours? I'm trying to get boostered with Pfizer now and am hoping that'll make a difference (for me).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They have backed down on that now. It will be confirmed today but as a compromise they are talking about mandatory vaccination for over 50s/60s and for any employee who has contact with the public.
It seems almost unfeasible in the short term to have every employee be vaccinated, some simply won't and either won't work or their boss just ignores it and let's them work.

I would imagine many businesses simply couldn't just replace the workers who can't work, at least not on short-term notice.

France has basically decided to ban the unvaxxed from all entertainment/hospitality locations. Macron describes the strategy as, "to piss off the unvaxxed."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ovid-strategy-is-to-piss-off-the-unvaccinated
Macron and Draghi are getting closer all the time over their vaccine strategy. Since the rules started to get punitive on the unvaccinated Italy's per capita vaccine rate has overtaken it's peers and the death rate has dropped right down from amongst the highest of Europe's main countries. The policy is working.

It seems almost unfeasible in the short term to have every employee be vaccinated, some simply won't and either won't work or their boss just ignores it and let's them work.

I would imagine many businesses simply couldn't just replace the workers who can't work, at least not on short-term notice.
There aren't that many unvaccinated left, certainly not amongst the regular workforce. We've got 1 in a company of 150 people. Many of the unvaccinated are self employed and in the grey economy.

Plus there are big fines for employer and employee, and they do check.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Sigh. I’m all in favour of upsetting malignant anti-vaxxers but the unvaccinated are a broad church. Seems nuts to try and win people round with a strategy that has a stated aim of pissing people off.
Macron is an idiot, we can whole heartedly agree on that. But if he is going to try a hair brained scheme to save France's economy then this isn't the worst idea. He is targeting voluntary anti vaxxers, not those that can't be vaccinated (they have an exemption pass right?). He is pretty much saving some of their lives too without them realising or appreciating it, not that he's too concerned if they live or die at this point.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Sigh. I’m all in favour of upsetting malignant anti-vaxxers but the unvaccinated are a broad church. Seems nuts to try and win people round with a strategy that has a stated aim of pissing people off.
To be fair pissing off the unvaccinated will either persuade them to get vaxxed or piss them off - which can't be a bad thing

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be fair pissing off the unvaccinated will either persuade them to get vaxxed or piss them off - which can't be a bad thing
All that matter is whether this tactic is more likely to persuade vaccine ambivalent people (the hardened anti-vaxxers are a lost cause) to get vaccinated than a more conciliatory approach. Which I’m not convinced about. Even the exact same tactic without openly stating he’s trying to piss people off would surely be more helpful?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
All that matter is whether this tactic is more likely to persuade vaccine ambivalent people (the hardened anti-vaxxers are a lost cause) to get vaccinated than a more conciliatory approach. Which I’m not convinced about. Even the exact same tactic without openly stating he’s trying to piss people off would surely be more helpful?
Probably even though I like the idea of pissing them off.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Yep, the reaction of people to hearing, "to piss you off," is typically to want to piss off the person saying it.

It also sends us back to the question of who isn't getting vaccinated and why. Like you say, there's not much hope of winning over the anti-vaxxers. But once you've done enough to capture the "can't be bothered" group, whether by campaigning, peer pressure or limited use of vaccine/test passes - you've got to dig deeper.

Some of the fears are very real. I've read the stats on pregnancy, covid and vaccines - but I can understand the women who get scared. I've read the stats on adverse reactions, but I understand why some people who are suspicious of authority (maybe due to past bad experiences, sometimes including bad experiences with healthcare) feel like they may be being conned. I think the needles are scarcely even noticeable but I know people get scared to the point where they hyper-ventilate or feint - and may even be ashamed to explain it in front of a queue in a vaccine centre.

Telling them that you're doing it to piss them off - really doesn't help. In fact it may scare them more.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I've been putting off my booster for a while. Have it booked now for tomorrow at 3.30pm.
Dreading it

massi83

Got 3rd Pfizer, would have preferred Moderna this time, but I'll take it.

Yep, the reaction of people to hearing, "to piss you off," is typically to want to piss off the person saying it.

It also sends us back to the question of who isn't getting vaccinated and why. Like you say, there's not much hope of winning over the anti-vaxxers. But once you've done enough to capture the "can't be bothered" group, whether by campaigning, peer pressure or limited use of vaccine/test passes - you've got to dig deeper.

Some of the fears are very real. I've read the stats on pregnancy, covid and vaccines - but I can understand the women who get scared. I've read the stats on adverse reactions, but I understand why some people who are suspicious of authority (maybe due to past bad experiences, sometimes including bad experiences with healthcare) feel like they may be being conned. I think the needles are scarcely even noticeable but I know people get scared to the point where they hyper-ventilate or feint - and may even be ashamed to explain it in front of a queue in a vaccine centre.

Telling them that you're doing it to piss them off - really doesn't help. In fact it may scare them more.
View it in the context of the situation France finds itself in.

90% of adults are vaccinated, there aren't many still on the fence and those that are will be pushed over the edge by the new rules. The rest are the hardcore anti vaxxers who wont listen to rhyme nor reason. We're 2 years into Covid and over a year into the vaccination campaign. For France the job is no longer about fighting a losing battle of convincing anti vaxxers to get vaccinated, but instead to remove them from society and prevent them causing additional harm to the wider population.

This is the policy we have in Italy and the majority of the public supports it. Enough to make it a vote winner in Italy and apparently in France.