The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I know nothing about the subject but I wouldn't suggest the Covid vaccine is risk-free.

You do not seem to be an expert at detecting irony.

Did you work on something related to the Covid vaccine?

If the answer is negative, I don't know why you feel superior... If the answer is positive, please join us :)
And it was you who said that I know nothing about the effects of the vaccine.
Well at least you have admitted that it is actually you who know nothing....

Roane

Had booster today at 11am. Very quick process even though a couple pushed in when it was my turn.

Slightly worrying that there was no social distancing. This was at my GPs.

Pfizer x3 for me. Slightly sore arm

Withnail

Are there any benefits for younger people in catching Omicron if it proves to be mild and gaining immunity that way rather than being boosted? Most the elderly and vulnerable must be boosted and safe for 6 months or so in the UK now surely?
The safest option is the booster. Even if Omicorn is milder in general, you could be one of the unlucky ones who ends up in hospital.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to take that risk. As for getting covid in order to be immune from covid I mean surely you see the flaw in that logic?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I see an article that the Astra zeneca vaccine has no effect of Omicron

At the same time, a study by the UK Health and Security Agency (UKHSA) revealed the reduced effect of vaccines as Omicron spreads - with even a double-dose of AstraZeneca providing no effect against symptomatic infection from the variant from 20 weeks after the second jab.

For the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, effectiveness dropped to 10% after the same period.

Does that mean someone that had the AZ jabs are back at square one- do they need another double vaccine before the booster? feck me

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

At the same time, a study by the UK Health and Security Agency (UKHSA) revealed the reduced effect of vaccines as Omicron spreads - with even a double-dose of AstraZeneca providing no effect against symptomatic infection from the variant from 20 weeks after the second jab.

For the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, effectiveness dropped to 10% after the same period.

Does that mean someone that had the AZ jabs are back at square one- do they need another double vaccine before the booster? feck me
Really important to remember that vaccine efficacy should be considered in terms of protection against infection and protection against severe disease.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

In summary: no - absolutely not! In fact a booster of Pfizer will not only get them up to maximum effectiveness against Delta (95% +), it will give them good protection against Omicron as well. Maybe 75% protection against any infection (that is they're 3x less likely than an unvaxxed person to catch it at all) and additional protection against hospitalisation even if you do catch it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

No. Symptomatic is very different to getting seriously ill.

choccy77

Had my booster Wednesday and for probably 36 hours felt really bad.

Still not 100% but better than yesterday

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Thanks lads. That's a relief.
Those headlines cause stress for people like me that aren't medically minded

Bebe

Really important to remember that vaccine efficacy should be considered in terms of protection against infection and protection against severe disease.

Let's see what the boosted immunity looks like in a few months, my guess is it won't hold up.

Bebe

I predict your guess is going to be proved wrong. Protection against severe disease has consistently held up well, despite waning efficacy against infection.
Well, my guess isn't contained to ICU admissions. What I'm saying I'd imagine that efficacy will wane in a similar manner to what it has so far.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
My wife’s doctor had boosters left over, so we got the call to go in last week ahead of the national rollout.

glad I got it, but can’t go feckin anywhere anyway so feels a little wasted getting it - but the time we get out again will probably need a 4th shot. Vicious circle but at least strains will get weaker and weaker.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Let's see what the boosted immunity looks like in a few months, my guess is it won't hold up.
Why?

At the moment we aren't really dealing with an abnormal decline in vaccine efficacy. Vaccines produce antibodies that normally decline over time. Memory cells then do the heavy lifting, often for many years. At the moment we are advising third shots to a) keep active antibodies going as memory cells take longer to react b) minimise serious disease to a new highly infectious variant.

Eventually we will move to an endemic state with probably 1 dominant variant (quite possibly Omicron), the world will be highly vaccinated and much of the rest with some immunity from infection. Then "boosters" will only be needed if memory cells decline significantly (often takes years) or another variant occurs (which grows far less likely as the world vaccinates and where the dominant variant is already highly infectious).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My wife’s doctor had boosters left over, so we got the call to go in last week ahead of the national rollout.

glad I got it, but can’t go feckin anywhere anyway so feels a little wasted getting it - but the time we get out again will probably need a 4th shot. Vicious circle but at least strains will get weaker and weaker.
You are still far better protected against serious disease. So well worth it.

Sadly there is no expectation of any new variant being more or less harmful as all strains so far haven't caused significant mortality factors enough to halt the spread. Omicron's is more infectious and seemingly a bit less harmful but those two things go aren't neccesarily connected as differnt mutations my be the cause of each.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
You are still far better protected against serious disease. So well worth it.

Sadly there is no expectation of any new variant being more or less harmful as all strains so far haven't caused significant mortality factors enough to halt the spread. Omicron's is more infectious and seemingly a bit less harmful but those two things go aren't neccesarily connected as differnt mutations my be the cause of each.
Ah true. Just annoying that (outside of spikes) we get our vaccine or booster and it’s still the same restrictions as those who neglect to get vaccinated. Businesses here crippled (Ireland). Would like to see a path back to normality as the economy just can’t sustain a stop/start every few months.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ah true. Just annoying that (outside of spikes) we get our vaccine or booster and it’s still the same restrictions as those who neglect to get vaccinated. Businesses here crippled (Ireland). Would like to see a path back to normality as the economy just can’t sustain a stop/start every few months.
100% agree.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Italy's approach is that the inconvenience must now fall on the unvaccinated. The Green Pass and Super Green Pass (the latter is the one showing you've had the booster) are now being required for virtually everything, including quite basic things like public transport. The option to show a negative test in lieu has been removed, and now only applies to the workplace.

If you have a Super Green Pass you can still eat in restaurants, go to bars and anything that's still open. If you haven't been vaccinated, you can't do much of anything.

I read yesterday that a McDonalds and a restaurant in our region had been closed for 5 days and fined because staff didn't ask to see someone's Green Pass - unfortunately that someone was a police officer.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Italy's approach is that the inconvenience must now fall on the unvaccinated. The Green Pass and Super Green Pass (the latter is the one showing you've had the booster) are now being required for virtually everything, including quite basic things like public transport. The option to show a negative test in lieu has been removed, and now only applies to the workplace.

If you have a Super Green Pass you can still eat in restaurants, go to bars and anything that's still open. If you haven't been vaccinated, you can't do much of anything.

I read yesterday that a McDonalds and a restaurant in our region had been closed for 5 days and fined because staff didn't ask to see someone's Green Pass - unfortunately that someone was a police officer.
I hope NL goes this route, they are finally starting to realise that they cant keep punishing the vaxxed because of a few nutters. They are now talking about 2G

slyadams

My BIL is not anti-vax but is generally anti-medicine in that he doesn’t like taking stuff for anything really (e.g. won’t take paracetamol for a headache). His partner and parents are all boosted and his position has caused quite a few issues. I don’t get it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
My BIL is not anti-vax but is generally anti-medicine in that he doesn’t like taking stuff for anything really (e.g. won’t take paracetamol for a headache). His partner and parents are all boosted and his position has caused quite a few issues. I don’t get it.
We’ll, at least he’s consistent.

slyadams

We’ll, at least he’s consistent.
Yeah. I asked my wife "if he got cancer would he get chemo?" and she was like "dunno". All very weird. He drinks quite a bit as well, so its not like "my body is my temple" (although he is very fit, runs a lot etc.). When COVID first hit he was saying he thought it was a Chinese conspiracy to take down the western economies. He's really not a bad guy, just a bit odd in some of his thoughts/beliefs.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Well, it took a bit longer to feel shit yesterday compared to the last dose of Moderna but I feel better this morning for the most part. No more muscle aches and my joints are only a little sore. I have bit of a headache but it's nothing like the headaches I usually get so no big deal.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Had my third Pfizer earlier today. Awaiting the sore arm like with the first two, but if that's the only side effect then I'm happy.