The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
We’re actually well above the EU average. Battling it out for a Champions League place!

The first quarter of this year has been a clusterfeck in terms of the EU securing adequate supply. We should have loads in Q2 and be absolutely swimming in vaccines by Q3/Q4. I can almost guarantee you’ll get a needle in your arm at some point in 2021.
That's extremely encouraging to see that. You hear all about the doom and gloom and various feckups with different age groups - anecdotal evidence, there's too much "reporting" by the irish media lately, and not enough actual journalism.

Mentally I'm probably coping better than most so I can probably wait it out a while before totally losing the head, even have a gardening project to keep me busy :angel:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's extremely encouraging to see that. You hear all about the doom and gloom and various feckups with different age groups - anecdotal evidence, there's too much "reporting" by the irish media lately, and not enough actual journalism.

Mentally I'm probably coping better than most so I can probably wait it out a while before totally losing the head, even have a gardening project to keep me busy :angel:
Good on you. My coping mechanism in darkest January was wallpapering the downstairs jacks. Can’t beat an aul project to keep life interesting. Even better when you’re outdoors.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Good on you. My coping mechanism in darkest January was wallpapering the downstairs jacks. Can’t beat an aul project to keep life interesting. Even better when you’re outdoors.
I'm ripping up the entire back garden to put in proper drains. We moved into a new build and the builders put in really compacted soil with shitty drainage and no natural run off. Found the manhole down the side, and found a pipe that "looked" like it came from the grass, so dug up an experiment hole at the path and found the end of the pipe. Going to put a few french-like drains to connect up to it I think.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Did my second Phizer today. Seems like a lot aches pains after second one is on the way. Hope not

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just a comment on side effects and reactions. Generally speaking, mild flu-like or injection area symptoms are a good sign - they mean the vaccine has woken your immune system up for a fight. For most people they fade fast, typically within a day or so, and for almost everyone all reactions are over within a few days.

In my immediate family - 5 have been vaccinated (3 AZ, 2 Pfizer) - none of them had a reaction. But they're all in the 70+ category, so feeling tired the next day, or having an achey arm would probably go unnoticed.

I'm in a vaccine trial, so I've been paying a lot of attention to trial results etc. Some of the most fascinating ones are the ones that plot placebo v vaccine adverse reactions. In my trial more people in the placebo group than the vaccine group got headaches for example, but more of the vaccinated ones got arm pain. In general the under 30s reported fatigue more often (perhaps because they're more likely to notice that they're under par) but in trials often a big chunk of the placebo group reported fatigue as well.

That's not the same as saying people are imagining it. It is a reminder that after a jab, particularly one we're nervous/excited about, we become more aware, hyper vigilant even about anything that doesn't feel right. Combine that with the stress, and the break from routine, and the sudden replanning of getting a jab, and a stress reaction - headache, fatigue, upset stomach etc aren't unexpected responses, even if the vaccine is only part of the story.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Fair enough mate, it is ultimately your decision.

As I said, the side effects are pretty much like having a bad cold/flu at worst and then it passes totally, which is obviously totally different to the worst or even relatively common effects Covid can and does have on people.

Regardless, I hope whatever decision you take you're happy with and you stay safe. And fair play for being so honest, I hope you can get help to cope with your anxiety too.
Thanks, mate. I wish you all the best as well. Still got a few days to decide. So who knows, maybe I will just white knuckle it. Anyway, take care.

Balljy

If we were talking about a situation where we faced a deadly disease, one that is lethal to anyone and everyone. Get it and you are dead type of virus. Then I would understand and agree that everyone should be vaccinated. We are not faced with that situation though. You believe the vaccines are safe, but what if they aren't? What if there are unforeseen side effects months or years down the road that people didn't anticipate? That would be a big problem if you have vaccinated every single person in the world, right? If you are not at risk from Covid and so don't get a Covid vaccine you are guaranteed to be not at risk from any of those unforeseen side effects from taking the Covid vaccine.
To reverse that, if you aren't at risk and don't get the vaccine you may get it and get no side effects to the virus like you say. That doesn't stop you walking into a supermarket and unknowingly infecting someone who is at risk who gets serious issues.

As people before have said that's not getting to the fact that there is a risk to every adult age group overall. The effects of long covid is unknown at the moment and as someone who has suffered from long covid in a "not at risk" group I can say that it's not worth going through even if just due to the amount of scans / hospital check-ups I've been through for the last 8 or so months, never mind the worrying symptoms.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm ripping up the entire back garden to put in proper drains. We moved into a new build and the builders put in really compacted soil with shitty drainage and no natural run off. Found the manhole down the side, and found a pipe that "looked" like it came from the grass, so dug up an experiment hole at the path and found the end of the pipe. Going to put a few french-like drains to connect up to it I think.
Holy shit. That’s a proper project. Enjoy!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Thanks, mate. I wish you all the best as well. Still got a few days to decide. So who knows, maybe I will just white knuckle it. Anyway, take care.
I absolutely understand your misgivings. If you have health anxiety, it's very difficult and people don't understand the extent to which it affects a person. If it helps, I'm 62, I have anxiety, auto-immune disorders and a previous serious reaction to a vaccination. I've been to see a neurologist in Italy and he said the risk to me of Covid is in all likelihood greater than the risk of me having another serious reaction. My older sister who has a similar medical history, has been to see an endocrinologist in the UK (she also has many allergies), and he's given a similar assessment.

I'm planning to have the jab (we've had a slow start to the roll-out in Italy), my sis in the UK has been called already but she's waiting for a couple of months. Neither of us are anti-vaccination (just the opposite), but this has given us both a lot of worry and we've discussed it at great length.

If I were you, I'd go for it when you feel comfortable to do so.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I absolutely understand your misgivings. If you have health anxiety, it's very difficult and people don't understand the extent to which it affects a person. If it helps, I'm 62, I have anxiety, auto-immune disorders and a previous serious reaction to a vaccination. I've been to see a neurologist in Italy and he said the risk to me of Covid is in all likelihood greater than the risk of me having another serious reaction. My older sister who has a similar medical history, has been to see an endocrinologist in the UK (she also has many allergies), and he's given a similar assessment.

I'm planning to have the jab (we've had a slow start to the roll-out in Italy), my sis in the UK has been called already but she's waiting for a couple of months. Neither of us are anti-vaccination (just the opposite), but this has given us both a lot of worry and we've discussed it at great length.

If I were you, I'd go for it when you feel comfortable to do so.
Thank you for the kind words, its very much appreciated. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you and your sister that it all goes smoothly when the time comes.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was already having grave misgivings. The other posts seemingly confirming my fears, and your post was just "the one" that did it. To be clear though, I already have severe anxiety issues, so taking any new drugs is something I avoid already. I even avoid taking pain killers, opting to just put up with the headache. I never went out before, so life hasnt changed much for me during lock down anyway if Im honest.

I have a deep fear of being ill. Its not lost on me that Im risking that anyway, but its also painful to think of forcing myself out the door, down to the vaccination centre and holding still while something injects "liquid death"(Yes, Im that bad) into me. Im not saying Im right, Im not saying anyone should follow me down this rabbit hole. Im just saying that for me and my mental bullshit that gets in the way of living anyway, my instincts are telling me not to. And those instincts have kept me alive so far, I guess.
First thing that might help how you think about this is that it is not a drug and vaccines are not actual live viruses. Some use parts of deactivated viruses but many like Pfizer don't even do that. They can't give you the disease. So the short lived side effects aren't disease or illness (or liquid death) but just the body reacting naturally really really well.

Think of it another way. If you don't get this non-drug you may get covid and be forced to take a large number of actual drugs. So maybe you can persuade your mind of this for just long enough to get the jab and save yourself from potentially an even less palatable alternative. Would it help if you could get someone to come to your home to vaccinate you? I'm not sure if that is possible but it may make it less stressful if it is.

Obviously you have anxiety issues already and I have no idea if you have had or are having any help mitigating them but I'd really urge you to do so if you aren't or if the last attempt didn't work, as it sounds like you perhaps aren't living the life you could be doing and deserve to be. A friend of mine, now much improved, told me something his GP said to him that helped after a few therapy and drug options didn't work out well and he wanted to quit. The GP said "If you broke your leg and the compound fracture didn't set the first time you wouldn't quit trying to set the leg would you?" This idea that mental health issues were just another health issue, just as breaks and cancer and heart disease are, was quite powerful for him and helped him carry on trying for a solution.

There are quite a few people who are medicos of various sorts and or really well informed on this stuff in this thread so maybe asking them questions if there are specifics bothering you and they may be able to help.

@Pogue Mahone @Volumiza @Tony Babangida @jojojo @africanspur and there are a few others that I've forgotten

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
They would be spreading the virus to people who are either vaccinated or naturally immune.
If the plan is to blanket vaccinate everyone to protect those at risk, then why are no children being vaccinated?
Because the data isn't there yet. But it will be this year and kids will then likely be immunised in most countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-56090539

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Its a genuine travesty and the Western countries look absolutely disgusting. Canada (and I think NZ) drawing doses from the Covax pool is a particular low.

What's worse is that they're finally waking up to it I think but not from a moralistic or even practical point of view (no point vaccinating swathes of the world while others continue to have Covid raging) but from a fear of losing influence. Even the Guardian had an article couched in those terms.

I'm also incredibly disappointed in the sums donated to Covax by some countries. How is it that the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation have contributed more than France, Italy and Spain and only marginally less than Canada and Japan? How is it that Kuwait, NZ and South Korea have donated the same (miniscule) amount as Tiktok?

I hope there are other schemes that I'm missing and eventually these countries will give doses unilaterally I'm sure but its pretty shite.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Its a genuine travesty and the Western countries look absolutely disgusting. Canada (and I think NZ) drawing doses from the Covax pool is a particular low.

What's worse is that they're finally waking up to it I think but not from a moralistic or even practical point of view (no point vaccinating swathes of the world while others continue to have Covid raging) but from a fear of losing influence. Even the Guardian had an article couched in those terms.

I'm also incredibly disappointed in the sums donated to Covax by some countries. How is it that the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation have contributed more than France, Italy and Spain and only marginally less than Canada and Japan? How is it that Kuwait, NZ and South Korea have donated the same (miniscule) amount as Tiktok?

I hope there are other schemes that I'm missing and eventually these countries will give doses unilaterally I'm sure but its pretty shite.
Even at a purely self-interested level it’s absurd to stockpile vaccines. We can vaccinate 100% of our citizens and still end up in lockdown again, this time next year, if a vaccine resistant “Balkan strain” hits our shores in December.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A 20 year old in the US will be vaccinated before a front line nurse in South Africa.
I hope these countries never forget.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Even at a purely self-interested level it’s absurd to stockpile vaccines. We can vaccinate 100% of our citizens and still end up in lockdown again, this time next year, if a vaccine resistant “Balkan strain” hits our shores in December.
Exactly. We're already seeing this to some extent with the South African variant and seemingly reduced efficacy of all? the major vaccine candidates against it.

fecking classic short term thinking from humans as usual.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sounds good. A race horse would struggle in my current “grass”

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Just got the Pfizer jab. Sat waiting for the allotted time. You get a card with the info on it if your jab and date. When you get the second the rest gets filled out and it becomes your vaccine passport.
That little crappy piece of paper is surely not going to act as the vaccine passport.

Carl

Youve just convinced me to opt out.
I've had the Pfizer one, as has my wife and one of my mates. My 2 elderly next door neighbours too. Only side effect the 5 of us experienced is a bit of a tender arm for about 24hrs.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I've had the Pfizer one, as has my wife and one of my mates. My 2 elderly next door neighbours too. Only side effect the 5 of us experienced is a bit of a tender arm for about 24hrs.
yup day 2 after the same jab here, tenderness has pretty much gone.

Carl

You mean the guy with sever anxiety issues and various other mental health problems? Yeah, Im that guy. Why dont you pick on me some more so you can feel good about yourself.
100% agree it absolutely should be personal choice, and noone should be made to feel a dick for opting out. I've had it, my wife has had it. I'm not sure how I'd feel about my 5yr old having it.

massi83

Unless you are saying that old people develop new mutations more easily (I don’t know), then it shouldn't really matter for the likelihood of new variants.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Unless you are saying that old people develop new mutations more easily (I don’t know), then it shouldn't really matter for the likelihood of new variants.
I wasn’t even thinking about ages tbh. Just the risk of allowing the virus to bounce around between millions of unvaccinated people in other countries. Especially if those countries do have a very small % of vaccinated people.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
My mum had the vaccine and had terrible side effects, she blacked out twice, the first time she came around quickly so we called the doctor and he said if she's feeling OK it's normally nothing to worry about. Later in the evening she had another this time my sister called the ambulance, she seemed to come around but they took her to hospital for checks. She had blood tests, brain scan etc and they found nothing. They said it's most likely a side effect of the vaccine as everything else with her is fine.

Traub

You'd think even the money men would want the emerging markets to be vaccinated - the lack of vaccination may lead to economic collapse and default in these countries, driving down returns.

Cloud7

India has been helping out the Caribbean as well. The vaccine I had this week was from India. We can truly see how much the “leaders of the free world” care about anyone besides themselves, as if we didn’t already know.

Classical Mechanic

India has been helping out the Caribbean as well. The vaccine I had this week was from India. We can truly see how much the “leaders of the free world” care about anyone besides themselves, as if we didn’t already know.
You really think those countries are helping you out of the goodness of their hearts?

massi83

I wasn’t even thinking about ages tbh. Just the risk of allowing the virus to bounce around between millions of unvaccinated people in other countries. Especially if those countries do have a very small % of vaccinated people.
I don’t think there is much, if any difference whether 70% of western people are vaccinated and 5% elsewhere. Or 15% everywhere. This just from a mutation point of view.

Classical Mechanic

Theyre not, but some help is better than the no help that we’ve been getting from other countries.
Western nations have been very badly hit because of their old populations and global interconnectivity. Their governments are also democratically accountable so need to serve their own populations first.

Cloud7

Western nations have been very badly hit because of their old populations and global interconnectivity. Their governments are also democratically accountable so need to serve their own populations first.
Covid isn’t a problem isolated to any one single country. This same global inter connectivity will still cripple them if every one of their people are vaccinated, but all the other countries they do business with are still suffering from Covid. Lest we forget these western nations are as rich as they are off the back of exploitation of poorer nations, which aren’t as important as their own populations, as you say.

acnumber9

Nice of China to think of other countries now it’s no longer their problem.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don’t think there is much, if any difference whether 70% of western people are vaccinated and 5% elsewhere. Or 15% everywhere. This just from a mutation point of view.
Every time it replicates there’s a chance of mutation. The more viral transmission the higher the chance of a new variant emerging which has some sort of evolutionary benefit (e.g. vaccine resistance). Surely it’s just a number game? The lower the % vaccinated, the more viral transmission = more mutations.

massi83

Every time it replicates there’s a chance of mutation. The more viral transmission the higher the chance of a new variant emerging which has some sort of evolutionary benefit (e.g. vaccine resistance). Surely it’s just a number game? The lower the % vaccinated, the more viral transmission = more mutations.
We don't have enough vaccines to really have an effect world-wide. Doesn't really matter which way you cut the cake if it is too small. But we are nearing semantics territory.

The production should have been increased by a lot a long time ago.

Classical Mechanic

Covid isn’t a problem isolated to any one single country. This same global inter connectivity will still cripple them if every one of their people are vaccinated, but all the other countries they do business with are still suffering from Covid. Lest we forget these western nations are as rich as they are off the back of exploitation of poorer nations, which aren’t as important as their own populations, as you say.
I don’t disagree with anything you say. From a cynical and pragmatic viewpoint I do think Western nations are right to vaccinate their population first though. Once the numbers are down track and trace can be more effective and they can close the borders to foreign nations with dangerous variants etc.

I do think the UK should prioritise the Commonwealth nations over others (except Ireland) at the first opportunity.