Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

meamth

Reviews seem to put it between poor and okay. Haven't watched it yet, but the signs don't look good. No surprise that The Netflix embargoed the reviews.
I'm on episode 6.

I'm enjoying so much.

Then went to RT to read critics review, the feck are they talking about?

Critics are idiots. This is a great show.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Can they not choose what the feck to focus on? All-sorts is blurry. Starting to piss me off a bit.

My expectations were probably a bit high, I dislike quite a lot about the artsy style it has went. Uses slow mos for no reason, empties a scene for no real reason. It's proper weird.

It's pretty bad at explaining what's going on too for outsiders.

I reckon quite a bit will change for season 2.

That all said I'm still quite enjoying it, I can totally see why some people would not enjoy it though. Definitely isn't as accessible as GoT was for the masses.

justboy68

I'm enjoying it a lot. Currently through 3 episodes. I have played the 2nd and 3rd games but not read the books, so it's really interesting to see the 'origin stories' of the characters I knew from the games. It is very confusing at first and surely hard to follow for brand new viewers. However I think that's okay as long as you accept that you won't catch every nuance on first viewing. It should even make rewatches more enjoyable.

I expect it will go from strength to strength in coming seasons as more of the world gets fleshed out and viewers get more accustomed to the setting and the characters.

In a way I miss the weekly release format a bit for shows like this because you can't really build the same type of discussion when a show is released all at once.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Done with half the season. On episode 5 now. Have thoroughly enjoyed this. It feels just like the games did.

Woodzy

Three episodes in. Really enjoying it.

Do feel sorry for anyone coming into it new though because I can't imagine it being very enjoyable - probably comes across as a bit of a mess.

Andersons Dietician

Three episodes in. Really enjoying it.

Do feel sorry for anyone coming into it new though because I can't imagine it being very enjoyable - probably comes across as a bit of a mess.
In a weird way once you go a few more episodes in I feel like it does quite a good job filling in like back stories of people and stuff or maybe I just find that as I’m familiar with the game. However I find that the time hops make it a little confusing at times as to what is going on or where you are in the time line.

I’ve really enjoyed it and although she might not be Eva Green I feel like whoever it is who is playing Yennefer brings some great ‘attributes” to the part and Cavill has nailed it. Some of the fight scenes are up there with the Red Tower scene from GOT.

One annoying thing is there are scenes where purple eyes, brown eyes, purple eyes, brown eyes, purple eyes.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’ve really enjoyed it and although she might not be Eva Green I feel like whoever it is who is playing Yennefer brings some great ‘attributes” to the part and Cavill has nailed it. Some of the fight scenes are up there with the Red Tower scene from GOT.

One annoying thing is there are scenes where purple eyes, brown eyes, purple eyes, brown eyes, purple eyes.
Do you mean the Red Keep, or the Tower of Joy?
I’m guessing the latter...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Tower of Joy, you can tell for a lot of the scenes it’s Cavill and he’s clearly been practicing although the scenes maybe aren’t as long as that one is.
Yeah, from the trailers I was wondering how someone could swing a longsword overhanded (or is it side hand? I dunno, I’m not a sword master) like he does effectively.

Then I realized it works, you just need arms the size of grown man’s leg.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Who the feck watches Grimm and thinks that their CGI animalistic heads are a great idea? That hedgehog :lol:

Overall it gets a bit better after the rough start, but their graphics trigger me every time.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I'm really enjoying it so far and it's a lot easier to do so by going in not expecting another Got. I wonder if some reviewers are acting a little hurt because GoT last season was trash.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Can they not choose what the feck to focus on? All-sorts is blurry. Starting to piss me off a bit.

My expectations were probably a bit high, I dislike quite a lot about the artsy style it has went. Uses slow mos for no reason, empties a scene for no real reason. It's proper weird.
I'm pretty sure that it's all budgetary. Hence why most of the big fights take place in the dark and the fog covers every object that is further than 10 meters away from the camera. Slow-mos and close-ups are there for the same reason.

Hal9000

Enjoying the show. How many timelines are these?
3. Yennifer starts the furthest amount of time back, then Geralt's and Ciri is the present. With Yennifers and Geralts there are some time skips as well. [/spoilers]

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I never read the book and didn't have any issues following the time lines. I think some people need to be patient and just watch the episodes and it'll all come together.

I actually love the way they did structure their time lines and all came together.

mu4c_20le

Only two episodes in, and i'm loving the casting, and the production. I haven't read the books, but i played all the games, and I'm very happy that Cavill not only looks the part but sounds like it too. Dandelion (Jaskier) looks great so far. Will post more later, with spoiler tags.

PS- I know comparisons with GOT will be inevitable, but it won't be quite the same, because it just doesn't have as many characters or POV's.

Castia

Scores are all over the place, I’m seeing 4’s to 8’s then IMDb is a average of 9.1after 23 thousand votes. My mate said it’s brilliant so I’m looking forward to starting it later.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Scores are all over the place, I’m seeing 4’s to 8’s then IMDb is a average of 9.1after 23 thousand votes. My mate said it’s brilliant so I’m looking forward to starting it later.
User reviews have pretty much all been good. It's a really good show that keeps improving every episode I watch. A solid 7/10. I think the problem is any big budget medieval fantasy that comes out now is compared to GoT and obviously it's nowhere near that level (of earlier seasons anyway).

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Only two episodes in, and i'm loving the casting, and the production. I haven't read the books, but i played all the games, and I'm very happy that Cavill not only looks the part but sounds like it too. Dandelion (Jaskier) looks great so far. Will post more later, with spoiler tags.

PS- I know comparisons with GOT will be inevitable, but it won't be quite the same, because it just doesn't have as many characters or POV's.
Agreed - even the short lived characters seem better cast than I expected. Also so far not seeing the issue with CGI. GoT for instance never really fixed the issue of shitty cgi on the direwolves and cheapened out on even things like eye color. I like how the show has its own feel compared to GoT. It's a different world and it should feel different. I'm also happily surprised by the music - which reminds me of the one in the games a bit. Was a bit worried about that after hearing the trailer music.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I loved it, but even though Ive read most of the books and played all the games it was sometimes rather complicated to keep track of things. I can imagine it not making much sense if you jump in with no previous knowledge.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I loved it, but even though Ive read most of the books and played all the games it was sometimes rather complicated to keep track of things. I can imagine it not making much sense if you jump in with no previous knowledge.
Yeah though arguably GoT was more complex especially when they started rush complicating things in the later seasons. Constantly seemed to have folks confused about who is who and what is what. I would imagine TW over time might start to become easier to understand with additional seasons, rather than what seemed to be the reverse with GoT.

Woodzy

Finished it. Got better as it went on, really enjoyed it.

Was good piece together bits I remember from what I read of the first two books. Although...

I didn't get far into the second book, but i'm sure I remember Geralt finding Ciri in the forest of Brokilon in the books and not after she left?

Andersons Dietician

Finished it. Got better as it went on, really enjoyed it.

Was good piece together bits I remember from what I read of the first two books. Although...

I didn't get far into the second book, but i'm sure I remember Geralt finding Ciri in the forest of Brokilon in the books and not after she left?
That last bit kinda bugged me, her leaving the house. I really don’t know why but if they wanted to have like a wood reunion why not have it with her like running from danger. I might have been more pissed off that I wanted more episodes after that

DavelinaJolie

First episode was decent, but jeez this trend of shows with barely audible voice tracks really needs to stop. No need for the background music.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
First episode was decent, but jeez this trend of shows with barely audible voice tracks really needs to stop. No need for the background music.
Yes! And then you higher up to volume only for the next scene to be a full fecking orchestral piece that could shatter your windows.

Ekeke

Just a small way into episode 3... Something I dont get right now is the reputation of Witchers.
Everyone knows as soon as one is mentioned, what they look like, what they do and to dislike them... But yet every weakling peon and ordinary character thinks they can fight the witcher... The guy everyone pays to kill beasts and monsters. How does that work then? Why does he get paid if nobody thinks hes tough?

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Just a small way into episode 3... Something I dont get right now is the reputation of Witchers.
Everyone knows as soon as one is mentioned, what they look like, what they do do and to dislike them... But yet every weakling peon and ordinary character thinks they can fight the witcher... The guy everyone pays to kill beasts and monsters. How does that work then? Why does he get paid if nobody thinks hes tough?
It's the same in the games :lol:

AkaAkuma

If you dont use surround sound you might be able to fix this by switching the lang from 5.1 to regular. 5.1 is the default which is why the sound is poor.

AkaAkuma

I'm new to it, liking it and havent found it difficult to follow. I felt episode 4 hit a few jump the shark moments:
  1. the hedgehog man,
  2. how quickly they went about discovering ciri was in a certain wood
  3. the mantis assassin

Amarsdd

went into this without any knowledge of the books or the video games and I'm at episode 3. Everything feels very underwhelming till now; the acting, the pacing, the set designs, the VFX etc etc. Sort of like a knock off or low-budget versions of LOTR and GOT mixed together. I usually love fantasy series so hopefully it gets better.

MadMike

Binge watched it yesterday. I enjoyed it and would highly recommend to fans of the books or games to dip into it.

I knew Henry Cavill would nail the Witcher character, it's a role made for him, but I didn't expect the complete newcomer Anya Chalotra to do so well with Yennefer. I was impressed.

Criticisms I can give are the at times poor CGI and costumes (perhaps not enough budget) as well as the way the story flows. By the latter, I mean the many back-and-forths in the timeline of events which would surely leave someone not familiar with the story a bit confused. As well the many side quests which felt like they were stalling the main plot at times (much like the game, heh).

Show overall rating: 7.7

Story: 3.5/5
Action: 4/5
Acting: 4/5
Music: 3.5/5
CGI: 2/5
Costumes: 2.5/5

Geralt - V.Good
Yennefer - V.Good
Ciri - OK
Jaskier - Good
Mousesack - OK
Tissaia - V.Good
Calanthe - V.Good
Triss - Bad
Cahir - Good
Fringilla - V.Good

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
went into this without any knowledge of the books or the video games and I'm at episode 3. Everything feels very underwhelming till now; the acting, the pacing, the set designs, the VFX etc etc. Sort of like a knock off or low-budget versions of LOTR and GOT mixed together. I usually love fantasy series so hopefully it gets better.
I think it gets better from ep 4 onwards.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm having to watch it with subtitles.

Could barely understand a word that was said in the first scene in the throne room.

Watched episode one, I'm enjoying it and can pieces stuff together from prior knowledge... Wife is totally lost though, does it all come together / get easier to understand?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This has been great fun so far. Don't care for the GoT comparisons. It is it's own beast, and has a lot of time to grow in terms of appeal and even quality. Cavill has done a smashing job as Geralt. In fact, I've been impressed by the casting/acting all round. The only one I felt was unimpressive was Triss.

Nucks

RT History Department
Critic review average I saw was like 55-60%, while fan reviews were 95-98%.

I read one critic review, that actually rated it 0/10, and called it high school DnD, watched only one episode, and then skipped ahead to episode 5.

A lot of the bad reviews have complained about the amount of exposition, and the number if titties on display. I guess The Witcher should have combined the titties with the exposition GOT style and gotten a pass :)