The "Zlatan hinders our gameplay" brigade

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We have two out and out strikers at the moment, three if you include Martial. Getting back Zlatan gives us a lot more depth in this position, I just hope Jose doesn't give him an automatic starting place.

Zlatan's all round play was massively underrated last season, I just don't think we look anywhere near as threatening without the pace of Lukaku.

That said, it's probably a good thing that Lukaku has the competition and will also be good for the dressing room mentality to have Zlatan around.
I don't think he will be an automatic starter. It will just give Jose more options as we get deeper into the season where players get injured, suspended, lose form etc. The bigger the squad the better imo.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Just imagine the reaction of opponents tired out by Rashford's lightening speed and Lukaku's bustling runs into the box, to see Jose bringing on both Zlatan and Martial as 70minute subs?:rolleyes:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The other players weren't in awe of him.
Half the problem was Jose and the media would make out this guy to be the next best after Messi and Ronaldo.
Most of the team would get strips torn off them then Zlatan would be praised as some supernatural power by Jose.
The players would look at him and think he's not that f'ing good, look at all the f'ing chances he misses, look how f'ing slow he is, look how crap his free kicks are.
Then you have his, I would say NEGATIVE presence in the dressing room. A guy that walks around like he is king, the whole persona is sickening, look at me look at me I am the lion, but can't back it up on the field.
Then the players learn he is on 350k a week PLUS 120k a goal. They are like wtf??
How is this positive?
Cool story, bro

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Some of you lots are overly sensitive with this all Zlatan bit. It's actually true and a fact that Zlatan missed ridiculous sitters last season with some of them directly costing us points(Burnley come straight to mind).

I personally don't see this urge for signing him back. He's coming off an injury at 36 and wouldn't be expected to be firing at 100% and knowing him he'll be expecting to play regularly which shouldn't be the case.

His link up play is also being vastly overrated by some in here. While he is known and has the ability to link up play very well, last season he had more duds than good games when it came to his link up plays. It was at time frustrating watching Zlatan continually being sloppy throughout a game and that happened a lot.

So those holding the opinion against a Zlatan come back aren't necessarily talking out their rears and have legit concerns and points for not wanting him back especially coming off a serious Iinjury at his age.

ghagua

Half the problem was Jose and the media would make out this guy to be the next best after Messi and Ronaldo.
Most of the team would get strips torn off them then Zlatan would be praised as some supernatural power by Jose.
The players would look at him and think he's not that f'ing good, look at all the f'ing chances he misses, look how f'ing slow he is, look how crap his free kicks are.
Then you have his, I would say NEGATIVE presence in the dressing room. A guy that walks around like he is king, the whole persona is sickening, look at me look at me I am the lion, but can't back it up on the field.
Then the players learn he is on 350k a week PLUS 120k a goal. They are like wtf??
How is this positive?
You're not wrong about Mourinho and the media, but the rest of your post is just made up BS. If you watched any of the United games, then every possesion the other players were looking to get the ball to Ibra. The players looked up to him no matter what you think about him. As for missing chances, where would we be without his goals last season. It sure as hell was not coming from the other players.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Centre forward was the top scorer. Who'd have thought it?

In other surprising news De Gea made more saves than anyone and Bailly made more tackles Martial.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic(actually I do a bit) but your point, repeated often by many, is borderline meaningless.
:lol:

This is so true. I mean are we supposed to take that as a surprise or ridiculous feat only rarely achieved?

The guy was our main striker and focal point of attack, by far the vast majority of our chances created fell to him and that was by design as the manager set it up that way. Of course he'd be our top scorer. It is expected, not some sort of ridiculous feat achieved as some like to pass it as.

Dobbs

This is so true. I mean are we supposed to take that as a surprise or ridiculous feat only rarely achieved?

The guy was our main striker and focal point of attack, by far the vast majority of our chances created fell to him and that was by design as the manager set it up that way. Of course he'd be our top scorer. It is expected, not some sort of ridiculous feat achieved as some like to pass it as.
Agree. We can compliment Zlatan on a decent goal tally but 17 league goals doesn't automatically excuse you from any wider discussion about team performance and your role in it.

If Lukaku plays as the No.9 all season he'll be the top scorer. If Mkhi plays as the 10 all season he'll have the most assists. That's how football works.

So can we already decide they've had a brilliant season and remove them from any discussion about team failings if we finish 6th? Of course not. So why do that with Zlatan?

It's just a nonsense point people make because they're big fans of the player. Same happened with Rooney right upto the end.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Feck hindrance , get him. 28 goals and he could have had 35 plus if not for his injury. If he wants to come , just sign him up and send him on a high by winning the league.
That's what I'd say.

Noc-Z

ffs
Do we have to classify people who have an opinion on a footballer as a "brigade" or "clan."
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Take a group of people with an opinion you don't share, lump them all together and call them a brigade? It's almost like someone can't accept that others will have different views and opinions on things! Quite a ridiculous thread title.

I personally don't want Zlatan back at the club in any capacity. He missed a lot of sitters. He should have turned some of those draws into 3 points. But putting that aside I personally don't like the ego or the constant hyperbole. "I came, I said, I conquered". Apart from not making any sense he didn't conquer anything. He contributed to a team which underperformed and finished 6th. That's my opinion but I'm not part of any brigade!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We already found our replacement for Zaltan, who would also slow down our attack.There is no point in bringing him back with those high wages.
We're not in the business of horse racing. Zlatan is an intelligent player who can score from places Lukaku can't and would be a galvanizing influence in the dressing room. I'd certainly feel much better about the league and CL with him rather than without him. Mourinho apparently agrees.

NoPace

I don't think they can play together well, but ff we go far in the CL and have games coming fast, it would be quite useful to be able to start Zlatan every few league games and let Lukaku come on after an hour to run at tired defenders. It was a long time ago, but he was pretty great for West Brom in that role and he consistently scored on the break for Everton.

Kita

I think Zlatan is coming back knowing he won't be a starter. He will fill in for Cup games and the odd days where Lukaku rests. He has to know he will be used as a super-sub.

crossy1686

career ending
It's the knock out rounds of the Champions League, we're winning 2-1 in the last 15 minutes of the match against one of the big boys, nothing is sticking up top and it looks like they're going to score any minute and send us crashing out. Jose sends Zlatan on to hold the ball up.

Spoiler: We win 3-1.

BULB

It's the knock out rounds of the Champions League, we're winning 2-1 in the last 15 minutes of the match against one of the big boys, nothing is sticking up top and it looks like they're going to score any minute and send us crashing out. Jose sends Zlatan on to hold the ball up.

You mean like against Chelsea when we were up 2-0 and looked dangerous all game, then Zlatan came on for the last ten mins and we never looked like scoring again?

shield

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Take a group of people with an opinion you don't share, lump them all together and call them a brigade? It's almost like someone can't accept that others will have different views and opinions on things! Quite a ridiculous thread title.

I personally don't want Zlatan back at the club in any capacity. He missed a lot of sitters. He should have turned some of those draws into 3 points. But putting that aside I personally don't like the ego or the constant hyperbole. "I came, I said, I conquered". Apart from not making any sense he didn't conquer anything. He contributed to a team which underperformed and finished 6th. That's my opinion but I'm not part of any brigade!
I have a similar opinion, but I just don't like voicing it. This is mostly because I feel that it is kind of harsh to speak against him because
- he was playing in an underperforming, slightly demoralised team
- had come to a team who were adjusting to life under a new manager
- had player issues like having to play Rooney

We were also heavily reliant on him and think he grew fatigued towards the end of the season. Think if he accepts a role where he is brought in as a sub then it might work out for us.

Overall, I feel the same as you do. Think, Lukaku, who may not be as good as Zlatan, may be far more beneficial to our team. He is young and hungry and seems more in sync with the team than Zlatan last year. We then have Rashford, Martial etc to fill in if Lukaku gets injured or needs resting. Zlatan also has a massive ego and it needs catering to. Don't think we need Zlatan.

Marcky411

Great posts everyone comparing the yeah and oh no not Zlatan reviews. As I can understand that from many, Zlatan slows us down and can't run in behind etc, wasted a lot of chances and should have done more. My personal two cents worth is, had he made a lot of his chances he then he would've had maybe 40 odd goals in his short season and still he would not have the pace and maybe then his pace wouldn't be an issue now.
Yesterday against the Swans I was really hoping to see some of our pace, (besides for 10-15 minutes) we were very slow that Swansea on the ball looked a hell of a lot more exciting than United and yet Zlatan wasn't on the field. Our game doesn't consist of purely counter attack and pace and to have a quick exciting game does not mean everyone must run around at full pace but rather the ball move around at pace.
I think that once Zlatan is fit he will have something to offer but that is not for me to say. Mourinho believes he has still got a lot to offer United otherwise there would not be all this talk about resigning him and I am sure he will not return to sit on the bench and hope to be a super sub. Up until now Mourinho has been spot on the money in his game setups and transfers and if he thinks we can really use a player like Zlatan I believe him and wait to be surprised.

Jim Beam

Some of you lots are overly sensitive with this all Zlatan bit. It's actually true and a fact that Zlatan missed ridiculous sitters last season with some of them directly costing us points(Burnley come straight to mind).

I personally don't see this urge for signing him back. He's coming off an injury at 36 and wouldn't be expected to be firing at 100% and knowing him he'll be expecting to play regularly which shouldn't be the case.

His link up play is also being vastly overrated by some in here. While he is known and has the ability to link up play very well, last season he had more duds than good games when it came to his link up plays. It was at time frustrating watching Zlatan continually being sloppy throughout a game and that happened a lot.

So those holding the opinion against a Zlatan come back aren't necessarily talking out their rears and have legit concerns and points for not wanting him back especially coming off a serious Iinjury at his age.
I can understand these concerns with signing him on the back off such a serious injury and it may be difficult to play both him and Lukaku in certain matches. Although, Zlatan has shown many times that he likes to prove doubters wrong and if somehow Lukaku gets injured we won't have any problems, unlike last season.

All that aside, what I seriously don't understand is blaming Zlatan mostly for our bad performances when all of his teammates played a game of "hide and seek" all season long and when he produced such numbers while scoring in most important matches. Furthermore, when he got injured we got worse in attacking sense.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
How is this positive?
Are you on crack?

Jaxdan

How is this positive?
Yeah, except every single thing I've read from every player, coach, etc. says the exact opposite. He's like a player/coach and an excellent influence in the dressing room. But I guess you would know better.

With such a heavy list of games to play this season this can only be a good thing. Quality depth is a must. What happens if Lukaku (or Rashford, Martial, etc. etc.) takes a knock and misses some time? Yeah that never happens. Bottom line, trust in the manager and staff. I'm pretty sure they know a touch more than you or I do about the inner working of the club.

Morpheus 7

I would love him back in a backup roll. Lukaku looks like he's going to play 90 minutes nearly every game, we don't want to burn him out. Zlatan gives us a real presence and experience. However, he's slow and isn't clinical. He missed a shitload for us last year. I found him good in the away games though. He holds the ball up well and offers something different. No way he should be back starting weekly though. We look so much better with our movement without him, we are scoring more already. For anyone at the Burnley game last year, you can't tell me that Lukaku would miss the chances he did, that wasn't the only game last year. The team have improved too I think but Lukaku just is better in front of goal. If we are resigning him, we should want it on our terms.

Jim Beam

You mean like against Chelsea when we were up 2-0 and looked dangerous all game, then Zlatan came on for the last ten mins and we never looked like scoring again?
Don't remember it so clearly. Whole 10 minutes to go, 2-0 up against the best team that season, and we didn't look like scoring or going for another?

Pretty condemning fact.

The red panther

princess transfer emo

In fact it is poor he only scored 28 goals whilst he has an entire team playing for him to set him up in front of goal especially because he only scored 17 goals in the league where we needed them the most.

He played nearly every second in the league and almost every ball was played to him as the focal point, yet he only scored 17. I don't find that very impressive at all to be honest.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't think he's going to be brought on to score or make us look like scoring. He'll be brought on to stop the other team from having too much of the ball when we start playing long because we're under seige at the back.

theREDMAN

At the moment I am not concerned as much with what he brings to the pitch because when teams come to OT and park the bus he will be useful. My concern is his ego. I don't think for one second he will be happy as a sub or backup. We are talking about THE ZLATAN here. I hope I am wrong about this but I do not want anything messing up the team chemistry it appears we are building at the moment. It appears he is returning so the best I can do is hope I was as wrong about this sentiment as I was about Matic.

Oneunited26

think having both can only help united, but no question lukaku does bring us aggression, power and pace along with the movement he brings, zlaten won't offer us. Lukaku is like having eto'o in our team, a nightmare for defenders that will score goals

FromTheBench

Zlatan isn't exactly the player I would bring on while countering.

He alone can't hold on the ball at that level without support anymore and he hinders quick counters as he then needs runners to go beyond.

Oyibo

If he is happy playing Domestic cup games, and as a back-up to rest Lukaku from time to time, then why not.

As long as it doesn't knock us off our rhythm in the bigger picture.

SirAF

Ageist

Some people doesn't get that Zlatan is playing a character when he says stuff like that - it's a part of his brand. If you look at social media/interviews/etc it is quite clear that he was a popular influence in the dressing room.

Oneunited26

Zlatan isn't exactly the player I would bring on while countering.

He alone can't hold on the ball at that level without support anymore and he hinders quick counters as he then needs runners to go beyond.
This is the problem, the injury he has had, he's not exactly a player who will change a game coming off the bench, countering much like berbatov is not in his game, if he's not happy being a bench player, its not a player I would resign. He may bring depth, but is he a player I would want taking the place of a mata? Mkhi? not really. I think he came to England, he did a job, we move on. Its all about progress and a evolution of the team, its about pace, power, quick decisive moves on the counter, and on the for front, getting from A to B quick like the classic united. I don't think he is the kind of player we need now, maybe has a bench player if he's happy in a limited capacity. He is a great leader in the dressing room, but to take the place of one of our front or attacking players, no thanks

Last edited:

JG3001

'Tis better to have him and not need him, than need him and not have him.

Squad depth and rotation is important, if he accepts he is behind Lukaku in the pecking order I am more than happy to welcome him back.

theREDMAN

'Tis better to have him and not need him, than need him and not have him.

Squad depth and rotation is important, if he accepts he is behind Lukaku in the pecking order I am more than happy to welcome him back.
I've heard this saying frequently in regards to contraception, never a footballer. I guess it fits the situation though.:D

edcunited1878

Him only on 17 league goals shows how average he was for his standards and how shite everyone else was last year individually and collectively.

If Pogba got burnt out last year, then you know sure as hell Lukaku will be burnt out with CL, something he's never experienced before. Again, let's just fecking trust Jose on this one...cause he had no idea what he was doing with Matic right?