g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

It is crazy that one of the best midfielders in the world is so cheaply available in his prime and no one else is interested - ironic how clubs are ready to pay over the odds for a possible decade of 'potential' (Frenkie De Jong for 75m, Rodri for 70m, Ndombele for 60m) but won't pay 30m for at least 2-3 years of world class performances from a serial-winner like Thiago (who's just 29, by the way).

United should have been in on this, too. As lauded as our midfield is, we suck at ball retention in general (especially under press) and don't have anyone who dictates the tempo. Thiago would have been a great fit. That said, he fits in perfectly for Liverpool with his energetic movement and will give them a new dimension with his quality on the ball.
Yeah for this sort of low fee we should definitely have been in on this but sadly looks like he only wanted Liverpool anyway

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
he is just pulling stuff out of his arse. Once Bayern finished their season, this will be done.
It will be done if Liverpool offers an acceptable fee. That 30m figure has been thrown in by those transfer experts. One could say they pulled it out of thier arses.

croadyman

It will be done if Liverpool offers an acceptable fee. That 30m figure has been thrown in by those transfer experts. One could say they pulled it out of thier arses.
Pretty confident that the clubs will find an agreement as sounds like he is very keen to join them

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Supposedly, Gill and SAF had him on the way until Moyes and Woodward drug their feet that dreadful summer.
I love the image of Woodward drugging people's feet. Explains everything

PedroMendez

Acolyte
yes.

Thiago could have left it open just like Alaba, if he wants to leave, but doesn't know whats going to happen.
Liverpool (or someone else) isn't going to tell him, that they want him and than turn around and announce, that they are not willing to pay any fee. Considering the circumstances, its hard to believe that the fee is going to be the sticking point.
All of that could be wrong, because its just me opinion. Maybe he won't leave because Pool offer just tree fiddy. I am sure, that Thiago would be stoked about it. Anyway, its hardly surprising that nothing gets finalized+announced as long as Bayern's season isn't finished. Journos don't need to make shit up.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
yes.

Thiago could have left it open just like Alaba, if he wants to leave, but doesn't know whats going to happen.
Liverpool (or someone else) isn't going to tell him, that they want him and than turn around and announce, that they are not willing to pay any fee. Considering the circumstances, its hard to believe that the fee is going to be the sticking point.
All of that could be wrong, because its just me opinion. Maybe he won't leave because Pool offer just tree fiddy. I am sure, that Thiago would be stoked about it. Anyway, its hardly surprising that nothing gets finalized+announced as long as Bayern's season isn't finished. Journos don't need to make shit up.
There are several tweets floating around stating Liverpool supposedly doesn't even want to pay 30, and would rather wait another year.
Given the stinginess the FSG group has shown so far, it is still a very real possibility that Thiago might not move this summer. We're not going to give him away for chump change, at least so I hope.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Think it's obvious that Bayern or not going to negotiate when they're still in the CL. So there won't be any news next week whatsoever. If Bouhafsi is to be believed (which he is), personal terms are already agreed. I'd say this will be done in the week after next then, and by September 1st at the latest unless Liverpool starts bitching about €5m more or less.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
There are several tweets floating around stating Liverpool supposedly doesn't even want to pay 30, and would rather wait another year.
Given the stinginess the FSG group has shown so far, it is still a very real possibility that Thiago might not move this summer. We're not going to give him away for chump change, at least so I hope.
i hope so too, but I don't believe those tweets. Its journos making things up, because they want clicks. If nothing happens in the 3-4 days after the CL is over for Bayern, I'd start to take these rumors seriously. It would be great if Liverpool are unwilling to pay, because in this case I could see him staying for more than a season.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
If Liverpool get Thiago they would have the best midfield in the world IMO.
Don’t about that but with Thiago our team would be getting depth as well as talent. We now have backup for Robertson(Kostas), backup for TAA(Nico). If we get a CB to help out I think we have a decent shot to challenge again.

Revan

Assumptionman
If Liverpool get Thiago they would have the best midfield in the world IMO.
Yup. They already have the best defense and arguably the best attack. Will be favorites for everything next season.

Crazy thing, they didn’t even spend that much (in comparison to us, City, PSG, Barca) to build this team. Their wages are actually lower than ours despite having significantly better players.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yup. They already have the best defense and arguably the best attack. Will be favorites for everything next season.

Crazy thing, they didn’t even spend that much (in comparison to us, City, PSG, Barca) to build this team. Their wages are actually lower than ours despite having significantly better players.
Not sure this actually helps, since it immediately prizes us out of the conversation for the likes of Sancho unless we blow up our whole wage structure. The top bracket has been moved from £120-150k to £180-220k in the last few years though so it has improved since Klopp took over. Only logical if your top players deliver that you up their wages, of course. But I don't think we'll ever bring in such a high-profile signing that he'll immediately be our top earner. I'd expect Thiago to be on £180-200k if he joined us.

EDIT: quick check and he's on around €230k at Bayern according to the first two sites I went to. Don't think he'll take a pay cut to join us either, so will be interesting to get to know the details about the deal if he should eventually join us.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Don’t about that but with Thiago our team would be getting depth as well as talent. We now have backup for Robertson(Kostas), backup for TAA(Nico). If we get a CB to help out I think we have a decent shot to challenge again.
We go into the season as favourites regardless.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I wonder if his obvious decision to go to Liverpool was only due to wanting a new challenge in a new league or also because he wants to win the Champions league and thought they would be the favorites for the next years.
If the latter was the reason, he can maybe stay with us because his dream might be fulfilled next week :D

Just kidding, but I will really miss him. He is such a joy to look at.
The next contract will probably be his last big one, so it's perfectly okay, if he wants to try something new after 7 years. When Pep left us, I didn't think, that Thiago would stay much longer.

There were some rumors that his wife didn't ever really settle in Munich and that she's often in Spain. I wonder how she will feel in Liverpool. I thinks it's fair to say, that Munich is a lot closer to Barcelona/Spain in terms of weather, culture and general way of life than Liverpool, right?

croadyman

I wonder if his obvious decision to go to Liverpool was only due to wanting a new challenge in a new league or also because he wants to win the Champions league and thought they would be the favorites for the next years.
If the latter was the reason, he can maybe stay with us because his dream might be fulfilled next week :D

The next contract will probably be his last big one, so it's perfectly okay, if he wants to try something new after 7 years. When Pep left us, I didn't think, that Thiago would stay much longer.

There were some rumors that his wife didn't ever really settle in Munich and that she's often in Spain. I wonder how she will feel in Liverpool. I thinks it's fair to say, that Munich is a lot closer to Barcelona/Spain in terms of weather, culture and general way of life than Liverpool, right?
Yeah there is no doubt about that

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Munich is no doubt a much better city to live in than Liverpool but I wouldn’t go as far as saying that living there is anywhere close to living in some Barcelona suburbs.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Munich is no doubt a much better city to live in than Liverpool but I wouldn’t go as far as saying that living there is anywhere close to living in some Barcelona suburbs.
Munich is often called the "northernmost city of Italy", it definitely has some southern european flair, but you are probably right.

How do you think your midfield would look like if Thiago joins you? Fabinho is more or less set as the defensive midfielder, right? Henderson also seems to be in der starting line-up in every important match (I'm not his biggest fan), i really rate Wijnaldum and Keita seemed to finally really arrive in the last weeks of the season.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Having lived in both Munich and Barcelona, I would definitely prefer Munich.

Barcelona is actually a really dirty city. Rats everywhere, beggars touching your legs everywhere you walk.
Sure, footballers won't experience this, but it degrades the city as a whole.

Munich also has surprisingly good weather too actually. I thought it would be like the Netherlands, but it is generally much warmer.
Furthermore, it is clean, well-run, great restaurants, not too unbearably hot in summer and a great beer culture.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Munich is often called the "northernmost city of Italy", it definitely has some southern european flair, but you are probably right.

How do you think your midfield would look like if Thiago joins you? Fabinho is more or less set as the defensive midfielder, right? Henderson also seems to be in der starting line-up in every important match (I'm not his biggest fan), i really rate Wijnaldum and Keita seemed to finally really arrive in the last weeks of the season.
I expect wijnaldum will be on his bike and we will do very frequent rotation between the four main midfielders throughout the season to a point where it may only be the crunch games that tells you who sits higher in the hierarchy.

Milner, Jones and Grujic (if he stays) taking more of a backup role to make up the numbers.

Chamberlain will find it very hard to get midfield games next year, I reckon. Not sure where things go from here for him tbh. Hasn't looked the same since he returns from his year long layoff.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

It looks like Wijnaldum's contract negotiations depend on whether Thiago joins or not to be fair. So he'd either be in his last year (and then Klopp knows he's off so he won't be an immediate starter) or we sell him this summer (seems unlikely to me though).

I don't really know what Thiago's best position is but he hasn't played as the most advanced midfielder for quite a while now, has he? Isn't he more the type of midfielder who controls the game in front of the defense? If he wants to play that role, it would be next to or slightly in front Fabinho but that's two quite defensive midfielders and it's not like Henderson is a true CAM, so not sure how that would work. Ideally you'd have Fabinho as CDM, Thiago as the CM and Keita/Ox as the CAM but both of them aren't really CAMs either, so really hard to say imo.

I think a midfield of Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson lacks quality going forward, but the lack of forward power might be made up by TAA/Robertson and our front three of course, it's not like we heavily relied on a game-dictating or scoring/creative CAM in previous years.

He'd be an immediate starter imo even though Klopp likes to ease players into the starting XI. Never a bad thing to have a bit of competition for the midfield spots, especially since that area has been called weak or thin by many in the past. You'd have Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson, Keita, Wijnaldum, Jones, Ox and sometimes Milner to cover 3 spots, that's more than enough. If Thiago joins we'd still need a 4th choice CB to replace Lovren, and a winger/striker to be a backup for our front three imo.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
It looks like Wijnaldum's contract negotiations depend on whether Thiago joins or not to be fair. So he'd either be in his last year (and then Klopp knows he's off so he won't be an immediate starter) or we sell him this summer (seems unlikely to me though).

I don't really know what Thiago's best position is but he hasn't played as the most advanced midfielder for quite a while now, has he? Isn't he more the type of midfielder who controls the game in front of the defense? If he wants to play that role, it would be next to or slightly in front Fabinho but that's two quite defensive midfielders and it's not like Henderson is a true CAM, so not sure how that would work. Ideally you'd have Fabinho as CDM, Thiago as the CM and Keita/Ox as the CAM but both of them aren't really CAMs either, so really hard to say imo.

I think a midfield of Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson lacks quality going forward, but the lack of forward power might be made up by TAA/Robertson and our front three of course, it's not like we heavily relied on a game-dictating or scoring/creative CAM in previous years.

He'd be an immediate starter imo even though Klopp likes to ease players into the starting XI. Never a bad thing to have a bit of competition for the midfield spots, especially since that area has been called weak or thin by many in the past. You'd have Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson, Keita, Wijnaldum, Jones, Ox and sometimes Milner to cover 3 spots, that's more than enough. If Thiago joins we'd still need a 4th choice CB to replace Lovren, and a winger/striker to be a backup for our front three imo.
That's right. It's been years since he played as CAM, it depended on the coach and his partner if he played CDM or CM.
I think Fabinho, Thiago and Keita could work very well. When Thiago plays as a CM he also likes to get in the box and he isn't bad at all in front of the goal.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
The deal will happen 100% happen when Thiago really wants to join Liverpool which is the case. Bayern always respected deserved players wishes and even let them go for cheap money. Even for 20m they will let him go.

RedorDead21

He had a contract from Bayern on the table where his demands were met before walking away from it. His current contract ends next year. Bayern is allegedly asking for €30m and it seems he has his eyes set on Liverpool.
I also see no better option than Liverpool for him if he wants a new challenge (which he does).
You see no bigger challenge than Liverpool...I could argue that’s no challenge at all

0le

The deal will happen 100% happen when Thiago really wants to join Liverpool which is the case. Bayern always respected deserved players wishes and even let them go for cheap money. Even for 20m they will let him go.
I am pretty sure United also used to do the same under Fergie. I think he or someone well respected said we let a lot of players go for cheap so that they could continue to have solid careers elsewhere and that we would not stand in their way.

GlasgowCeltic

Only seems to lose the ball if it's the odd misplaced pass, seemingly never gets caught in possession otherwise

Womp

idiot
If Liverpool get him we are fecked, more so.
We'll try get David Brooks over the line. Jokes aside, it really is worrying how far ahead of us they already are, with us seemingly being so lax about it. Teams around us are also strengthening whilst we're leaking stories about how our number one target wants too much in fees

Thiago is fecking mint and offers a creative threat from midfield like they don't really have either. Their forwards will be lapping it up

ti vu

Didn't follow this thread, but I wonder why Barcelona ain't in for him. Quite cheap. They need midfielder especially trying to go back to Cruyff way. Thiago didn't burn bridge when he left for Bayern, did he?

Status
Not open for further replies.