Thiago Silva: PL is a step down for Ibra

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Thiago Silva is obviously trying to get his teammate to stay, but at the same time it's hard to disagree. He says that since no teams here are on the same level as PSG, any move to England would be beneath him.

Of course, the Premier League in general is streets ahead of Ligue 1, but on a team basis, compared to where he is it's hard to find fault with his opinion. Can only hope he's bored of taking the piss year after year and fancies testing himself in a more competitive league.

http://www.skysports.com/share/10239916

Siorac

I feel this is a bit unwise on the day when they might get knocked out of the Champions League by a Premier League side.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Daft logic. The 19 teams he will play against are significantly better. One team doesn't make a league nor are PSG anywhere near good enough to bring the average up that much.

Revan

Assumptionman
Oh Gosh, watch now they get destroyed from City. This has been Sergio Ramos favorite hobby, talking big before a match and then getting humiliated. People should have learned from him to not say these daft things.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's actually very easy to disagree.
The PL in general is a step up, it's easy to disagree with him there. But PSG are for me better than any side he'd be joining. I can see why he'd think that, despite it not being clever to come out and say it right now.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He didn't say the EPL is an inferior league: he just believes PSG is stronger than any EPL club

Last edited:

Trizy

PSG aren't even the same size as Newcastle.. good man Silva.

Siorac

Oh Gosh, watch now they get destroyed from City. This has been Sergio Ramos favorite hobby, talking big before a match and then getting humiliated. People should have learned from him to not say these daft things.
:lol: Exactly!

Moby

Dick
This has been Sergio Ramos favorite hobby, talking big before a match and then getting humiliated.
Poor guy, must be really depressed with all those World Cup, Euro and CL trophies.
Humiliation is getting knocked out of Europe twice in one season...

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He didn't say the EPL is an inferior club: he just believes PSG is stronger than any EPL club
There's not much that proves that. PSG, the mighty leaders of L1, who have already won the league by a landslide, might go out to City this evening, a club playing poorly and 4th in the league. And against whom PSG were very poor just a week ago. PSG hasnt exactly lit up the Champions League the previous seasons either. Silva is entitled to his (obviously unbiased) opinion, but its very easy to disagree with his logic. But we shouldnt say it too loudly or he might cry. ;)

Revan

Assumptionman
Poor guy, must be really depressed with all those World Cup, Euro and CL trophies.
How many times he talked big before Barca's game to only get repeatedly defeated? The best one was when both him and Ronaldo were talking big to only lose 5-0 in first Mourinho's match.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
There's not much that proves that. PSG, the mighty leaders of L1, who have already won the league by a landslide, might go out to City this evening, a club playing poorly and 4th in the league. And against whom PSG were very poor just a week ago. PSG hasnt exactly lit up the Champions League the previous seasons either. Silva is entitled to his (obviously unbiased) opinion, but its very easy to disagree with his logic. But we shouldnt say it too loudly or he might cry. ;)
I am not saying Thiago Silva is right or wrong :)

Thiago Silva just makes his propaganda for Ibra to stay in Paris

Fener1907

I don't care how many trophies he has, he still sounds like a knob.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
PL is a step down from France? The league where 2nd place is closer to relegation than to actually winning the thing?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I didn't believe it either until I checked but he's right.

1st: PSG - 83 points
2nd: Lyon - 55 points
19th: Toulouse - 32 points
The swing from last season to this season is pretty mental. Last season after 33 games, it was 1. Lyon 65 points, 2. PSG 65 points (one game in hand), 3. Monaco (59 points).

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The swing from last season to this season is pretty mental. Last season after 33 games, it was 1. Lyon 65 points, 2. PSG 65 points (one game in hand), 3. Monaco (59 points).
Yeah, not sure whats happened to Lyon this season. Monaco at least had some sales in the Summer. Seems obvious that Fabinho will leave Monaco this Summer which takes away one of their best players (if not their best).

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
There have been many quotes over the years from this absolute wanker where he has had a dig at English football or an English football club.

What is his problem? Twat.

dellboyy

Ha, i can't think of one reason that makes Ligue 1 better than the premiership. Money, nope, players, nope, level of competition, nope, european success, nope... anything i've missed?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The outrage is fascinating. He doesn't want his teammate to leave and is confident in the quality of his own team:

"I know he has offers from England - and it is a big league - but I don't think there is a team in England that is at the level of PSG at the moment. For me it would be a step down in quality for him."

He doesn't even say anything bad about the Premier League. Compared to Kompany's talks in previous years, it's such a minor comment. Remember when Kompany said that going to Stoke is more difficult than going to Barca?

Thinking about it, Kompany has been surprisingly quiet or did I miss a new gem by him?

Last edited:

dellboyy

The outrate is fascinating. He doesn't want his teammate to leave and is confident in the quality of his own team:

"I know he has offers from England - and it is a big league - but I don't think there is a team in England that is at the level of PSG at the moment. For me it would be a step down in quality for him."

He doesn't even say anything bad about the Premier League. Compared to Kompany's talks in previous years, it's such a minor comment. Remember when Kompany said that going to Stoke is more difficult than going to Barca?

Thinking about it, Kompany has been surprisingly quiet or did I miss a new gem by him?

If that's actually what he said, then fair enough... i should read actual quotes rather than tabloids :)

It will be amusing if they get knocked out by City after that though, because European success is the only way to compare i guess with their league being so weak.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Slightly misleading headline, and some of it is being taken out of context.
Of course I want him to stay at PSG, I cannot imagine us without him.

I know he has offers from England - and it is a big league - but I don't think there is a team in England that is at the level of PSG at the moment. For me it would be a step down in quality for him.
1. Wants Zlatan to stay at PSG - so this is a sales pitch (kinda), and naturally he'll try to highlight a positive in PSG's favor.
2. Acknowledges that the Premier League is a 'big league'.
3. Sort of has a point that PSG is a level above any Premier League team 'at the moment' - this is the crucial part wherein them winning 0 European Cups has no bearing. And they are arguably a Top 5 team right now - on the basis of this season as a whole, you'd place them behind Bayern and Barcelona; and in the same ball-park as Atlético - who're also better than any Premier League club right now, IMO. Of course, that could change over the summer, and maybe Zlatan will be a catalyst for some club.

stevoc

PL is a step down from France? The league where 2nd place is closer to relegation than to actually winning the thing?
I thought you were taking the piss until i checked. What an absolute joke of a league.

saivet

I'd bang in 20 league goals a season. Minimum. In Ligue Shite.

The Premier League is the greatest.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ha, idiots!

Wait...
At least Aulas had a good reason, in almost 30 years he never sacked a manager during the season and he only sacked one manager. He tried his best to fix the problems between the players and the manager but when he realised that it was impossible he pulled the trigger.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We might be a step down from PSG as a team but we're a big step up as a club, as is the PL as a league.

Btw, this just struck me, has Thiago Silva ever played in a top league? He was at Milan when that league went downhill and now he's at PSG in a one team average league. Often hear that he's the best CB of his generetion but it's a bit weird if the best hasn't played at the highest level consistently.

Moby

Dick
We might be a step down from PSG as a team but we're a big step up as a club
PSG are in contention to win the CL while we have been knocked out in the group stages and then in the EL by Liverpool.
This whole 'doesn't matter how shit we are we still have the history/brand/etc' is sounding more and more like the Liverpool narrative we have been hearing for years, and we are seeing how less and less players care about history and stature as such. Of course we have a distinct financial advantage but that only carry us for a while.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
PSG are in contention to win the CL while we have been knocked out in the group stages and then in the EL by Liverpool.
This whole 'doesn't matter how shit we are we still have the history/brand/etc' is sounding more and more like the Liverpool narrative we have been hearing for years, and we are seeing how less and less players care about history and stature as such. Of course we have a distinct financial advantage but that only carry us for a while.
I didn't say it doesn't matter how shit we are, though. It most definitely does matter as does our possible exclusion from the CL. We're not immune from anything.