Thiago Silva: PL is a step down for Ibra

Minkaro

I know he's not talking in terms of Ligue 1 vs. the PL, but I'm half expecting to hear the news that PSG have won next year's Ligue 1 title in the next few weeks.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What's with the misleading thread title?

All he says is that PSG are better than any English club at the moment. Which was pretty obvious last year when they turned over Chelsea with 10 men.

Moby

Dick
I didn't say it doesn't matter how shit we are, though. It most definitely does matter as does our possible exclusion from the CL. We're not immune from anything.
It was okay when we first got out of the CL, a lot of player possibly believed it as a one season blip/Moyes failure/etc but it has been three years and we have been pretty dire on every front and turning into a bigger mess with every passing day. It would play a lot more on players minds seeing as they would think of us being in deeper troubles than a one season mess. e.g. whatever happened at Chelsea this season, not many would hesitate going there as it was just this season and the problems are publicly known. The longer this shite at the club goes on the harder it would be to get back to terms. Specially in a cut throat league like the PL, you can really get buried under the quicksand.

WhoDaGOAT

There's not much that proves that. PSG, the mighty leaders of L1, who have already won the league by a landslide, might go out to City this evening, a club playing poorly and 4th in the league. And against whom PSG were very poor just a week ago. PSG hasnt exactly lit up the Champions League the previous seasons either. Silva is entitled to his (obviously unbiased) opinion, but its very easy to disagree with his logic. But we shouldnt say it too loudly or he might cry. ;)
PSG weren't very poor. The result flattered City, to be fair. Zlatan had an off night with his finishing and it's difficult to hide the calamity that is Luiz. Other than that, they were comfortably the better side on the night and should have won by at least two clear goals.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It was okay when we first got out of the CL, a lot of player possibly believed it as a one season blip/Moyes failure/etc but it has been three years and we have been pretty dire on every front and turning into a bigger mess with every passing day. It would play a lot more on players minds seeing as they would think of us being in deeper troubles than a one season mess. e.g. whatever happened at Chelsea this season, not many would hesitate going there as it was just this season and the problems are publicly known. The longer this shite at the club goes on the harder it would be to get back to terms. Specially in a cut throat league like the PL, you can really get buried under the quicksand.
Definitely. What was thought to be one bad season has turned into a proper rut we're stuck in and the longer it goes on, the bigger a habit mediocrity becomes. And the world I.e other players start to see that and United, which is when the shine begins to come off pretty quickly. Look at Arsenal, they're so used to fighting for top 4 that when their competition is Leicester and Spurs, they simply don't have it in them to reach the standards it takes to be champions because they're not used to those levels at all.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
The french league is absolutely terrible and PSG are not better than City imo, particularly if Ibra left.

Siorac

The french league is absolutely terrible and PSG are not better than City imo, particularly if Ibra left.
PSG are oddly overrated on the Caf. They're always talked about as one of the big favourites for the competition even though they never got past the quarter-final stage before.

I'm not saying they're not a good team, they are very good, far better than us (but that's not saying much) but I agree they aren't better than City. They are about the same level.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

All he says is that PSG are better than any English club at the moment. Which was pretty obvious last year when they turned over Chelsea with 10 men.
Basically the same as the SS article.

Anyone who actually reads it will know it's been twisted like usual, he never actually compares the two leagues, but PSG as a team. That's what the OP is getting at.

salford_

PSG are overrated to feck. Ligue 1 theyd win blindfolded, put them in a league where they play very very good opposition every week like most EPL sides or La Liga and id bet my house they wouldnt win it. Argued this black and blue with jon_legossip on twitter and he was far too biased so i didnt bother continuing

Put any of the top 4 plus Chelsea and Liverpool in PSG place in Ligue 1, and they win it at a canter too

finneh

Strange logic - are we to assume that Real Sociedad are better than Barcelona given the result last weekend?

cyberman

Silva didnt even want to join PSG. Milan sold him behind his back and he tried to back out of it..

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm not really bothered what the ladyboy lookalike says. Ligue 1 is completely crap compared to the prem.

This shambolic United team could probably win that league by 20 points :rolleyes:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Part of what he's said is technically correct. The PL is a better league, but PSG are undoubtedly better than any PL side. I'd still say that if they get knocked out tonight; one knockout round doesn't necessarily guarantee that a side is better than another, considering how poor City have been in the league for much of the season.

The "they don't have much history" argument is kind of pointless too...because it's a strawman which essentially tries to deflect from the point that PSG are better than any PL side at the moment.

I'd expect Silva is probably just playing mind games ahead of tonight, though.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Strange logic - are we to assume that Real Sociedad are better than Barcelona given the result last weekend?
Why would you use that match when you can turn to a league table to compare the two Spanish teams? In the absence of PSG playing in England, I daresay we have to use matches between the sides to help form an opinion. Not just the result, because in a tight knockout match that can often swing either way, but the performance too. And it was pretty clear there was a gulf in class between the French and English champions last year. The top boys they've got are also a notch above anything in England - Thiago Silva, Ibrahimovic - even Verratti and that midfield looks much more fluid than any equivalents across the Channel.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
people at redcafe get so salty at any criticism of epl :lol:

its an instant thread whenever it happens

cyberman

Why would you use that match when you can turn to a league table to compare the two Spanish teams? In the absence of PSG playing in England, I daresay we have to use matches between the sides to help form an opinion. Not just the result, because in a tight knockout match that can often swing either way, but the performance too. And it was pretty clear there was a gulf in class between the French and English champions last year. The top boys they've got are also a notch above anything in England - Thiago Silva, Ibrahimovic - even Verratti and that midfield looks much more fluid than any equivalents across the Channel.
PSG havent been overly impressive v any English side tbh. For a club that has never went beyond the quarters its a bit weak to point to any European record as a reason why they are a step up.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
people at redcafe get so salty at any criticism of epl :lol:

its an instant thread whenever it happens
If this is salty then I don't have words for what you get when people criticise South American football. That's pungent.

Havak

Pokemon master
The thing is, while in terms of the team he plays for being a step down, it isn't a complete step down IMO. While PSG are becoming a very powerful side and within touching distance of the other top teams in Europe, I do think that with the right signings and manager choices that quite a few teams in England could be close to them as well (more likely to be a building process over the next couple of years).

However, if Zlatan wants to test himself against tougher opposition week in, week out, then England is definitely his best choice. Germany is an option, but he's probably not going to start every week for the best sides there along with clubs much less likely to meet his wage demands.

Classical Mechanic

The thing is, while in terms of the team he plays for being a step down, it isn't a complete step down IMO. While PSG are becoming a very powerful side and within touching distance of the other top teams in Europe, I do think that with the right signings and manager choices that quite a few teams in England could be close to them as well (more likely to be a building process over the next couple of years).

However, if Zlatan wants to test himself against tougher opposition week in, week out, then England is definitely his best choice. Germany is an option, but he's probably not going to start every week for the best sides there along with clubs much less likely to meet his wage demands.
There isn't a club in Germany that would pay him £300k a week. I agree with your main point though, the PL should rise again soon with all the money available and it is a much more fun league for a player to compete in.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Seems quite an arrogant position to take when his team has never been past the quarter finals of the CL and are in a precarious position before tonight's game.
PSG do have a better squad than any team in the PL though. Who do you think has better in the PL?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
PSG havent been overly impressive v any English side tbh. For a club that has never went beyond the quarters its a bit weak to point to any European record as a reason why they are a step up.
Did you not see them when they knocked out Chelsea while having ten men for most of the match?

ravi2

Thiago Silva is obviously trying to get his teammate to stay, but at the same time it's hard to disagree. He says that since no teams here are on the same level as PSG, any move to England would be beneath him.

Of course, the Premier League in general is streets ahead of Ligue 1, but on a team basis, compared to where he is it's hard to find fault with his opinion. Can only hope he's bored of taking the piss year after year and fancies testing himself in a more competitive league.

http://www.skysports.com/share/10239916
How is it hard to disagree?
League 1 is a joke of a league.

Someone

Something
The premier league is a fantastic challenge for any world class player.

The gap in class in Ligue 1 in reality is a huge turn off as far as i'm concerned, you basically go into the season and your only challenge is the CL, while at least 6 clubs would fancy themselves fighting for the title next season in the premier league.

Baxter

PSG are oddly overrated on the Caf. They're always talked about as one of the big favourites for the competition even though they never got past the quarter-final stage before.

I'm not saying they're not a good team, they are very good, far better than us (but that's not saying much) but I agree they aren't better than City. They are about the same level.
In fairness, they've got to 3 quarters in a row and been knocked out by Barca twice ( one of those on away goals) and Chelsea on away goals really late on in the match. They've been very close and they;ll qualify tonight.

cyberman

Did you not see them when they knocked out Chelsea while having ten men for most of the match?
Yes that was down to Mourinho and how his side reacted after the sending off. Its not as if they outperformed Chelsea to any great degree.
Our last two performances away to Chelsea have been better than anything PSG has done at Stamford Bridge ( performances not results, especially last season)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Yes that was down to Mourinho and how his side reacted after the sending off. Its not as if they outperformed Chelsea to any great degree.
Our last two performances away to Chelsea have been better than anything PSG has done at Stamford Bridge ( performances not results, especially last season)
From what I remember Verratti completely dominated the Chelsea midfield that day. Last seasons Chelsea performance was just us having lots of the ball without making good chances and losing on the counter attack. The usual

cyberman

From what I remember Verratti completely dominated the Chelsea midfield that day. Last seasons Chelsea performance was just us having lots of the ball without making good chances and losing on the counter attack. The usual
And Wayne Rooney dominated that very same midfield at Stamford Bridge last year..
We created a few chances that we should have scored from. Falcao had 2 and hit the post and I think Mata threw one away as well.
All im saying is playing well at Stamford Bridge or any top side isnt a sign of anything. If West Ham were Spanish their victories away v the top sides would be concrete signs of this and that but theyre an English side so it doesnt count. It makes no sense!
Imagine Leicester were Italian and played that way v City. English football would get pummled on here.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Part of what he's said is technically correct. The PL is a better league, but PSG are undoubtedly better than any PL side. I'd still say that if they get knocked out tonight; one knockout round doesn't necessarily guarantee that a side is better than another, considering how poor City have been in the league for much of the season.

The "they don't have much history" argument is kind of pointless too...because it's a strawman which essentially tries to deflect from the point that PSG are better than any PL side at the moment.

I'd expect Silva is probably just playing mind games ahead of tonight, though.
They were lucky to scrape a draw at home vs City, the team 4th in the PL sitting 15 points off the top. To say PSG are 'undoubtedly' better than any PL side is undoubtedly bullshit.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
They were lucky to scrape a draw at home vs City, the team 4th in the PL sitting 15 points off the top. To say PSG are 'undoubtedly' better than any PL side is undoubtedly bullshit.
Teams have bad games. If City completely wipe the floor and piss all over PSG tonight then, yeah, I'd happily admit to being wrong, but I don't think that one draw (which they hardly scraped considering City led for a total of under five minutes), doesn't mean that City are as good as, or better than PSG. I mean, if we're going by that logic then I could easily point to PSG disposing of Chelsea last season, who were comfortably the best side in the league.

Looking at PSG's squad though, their dominance in the league, and generally decent CL form compared to any other English sides over the past couple of years, I'd struggle to argue that any PL side is better than them, or as good as them either. I'd certainly expect them to win the PL if you placed their squad into it right now, and I expect they'd comfortably be ahead of City.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A lot of people are taking that comment very personal. Almost as if T.Silva has insulted your mothers!

He is merely making a throwaway comment that the best striker in France should stay with PSG and should not leave. And really, the EPL isn't all that. That's all he is saying.
He hasn't carried out an in-depth analysis, looking at every statistic available, to compare each team in the league, before arriving at the informed conclusion that the French league is better.
It's a throwaway comment and EPL fans shouldn't get their knickers in a twist.

The EPL is the most competitive league in the World (ask LVG, who has managed in many countries) and with the influx of money coming from next season onwards, we will most likely be able to attract the biggest names and best players in the World.
With regards to managers, next season: Pep, Klopp, Jose, Conte will all be in the EPL. Only Ancelotti is missing from that list.

PSG are a special team, though. There is no doubt about that and Ibra would be made to leave.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Btw, this just struck me, has Thiago Silva ever played in a top league? He was at Milan when that league went downhill and now he's at PSG in a one team average league. Often hear that he's the best CB of his generetion but it's a bit weird if the best hasn't played at the highest level consistently.
He had the chance to leave a mark in the WC 2014 but he bizarrely got himself suspended for the clash against Germany in the silliest and stupidest manner possible. He also relinquished the chance to play for Barca and decided to go to PSG (which is fair enough as every footballer has their own priority) but he only has himself to blame for his lack of impact on the highest levels. He does have a few CL outings where he has been impressive though, and a few friendlies to boot but it's hardly notable for a player who is a fine defender, all things said and done.