this is really, really s#&*

togg

LVG mentioned that when we play 4-4-2 the balance of the team is weakened. I can kind of see what he means, since although we scored the goals with that formation, QPR also had more chances. They didn't score them, but a team like Chelsea would have. The only mystery to me is the Rooney Di Maria positions. The only reason I can think of is that he believes Rooney is more aggressive defensively playing as a midfielder whereas Di Maria is more ' lightweight' and so the former adds more protection. However, Di Maria is playing with his back to goal which is very much out of his comfort zone. When he moved deeper he was able to spread his customary passes around much more effectively. One of LVG to ponder I reckon.

gasmanc

Banned
Not really. Under Moyes, we beat the awful teams away from home with ease most of the time. It was our home form and the big games were his problem.
Falcao has a hatrick on a different day, he was exceptionally unlucky but if he keeps getting in the positions he does it will turn for him.
The first half was dismal yesterday but hearing the post match comments from Van Gaal gives a positive indication he just might ditch 3-5-2.

buckooo1978

LVG mentioned that when we play 4-4-2 the balance of the team is weakened. I can kind of see what he means, since although we scored the goals with that formation, QPR also had more chances. They didn't score them, but a team like Chelsea would have. The only mystery to me is the Rooney Di Maria positions. The only reason I can think of is that he believes Rooney is more aggressive defensively playing as a midfielder whereas Di Maria is more ' lightweight' and so the former adds more protection. However, Di Maria is playing with his back to goal which is very much out of his comfort zone. When he moved deeper he was able to spread his customary passes around much more effectively. One of LVG to ponder I reckon.
i think the balance of the team is better - we did look slightly more vunerable but we actually looked like scoring - when we add a top CB we will be more solid...

why not play Blind and Carrick together - that would offer protection

if we do play the 3 then play Carrick there.....he can drop into the 3 when we are defending but step up when we are in possession

can understand that we are more vunerable against teams like Chelsea but it is draws at Villa, Stoke and West Brom and defeats to Southampton that will cost us 4th place

ManUArfa

A lot of overreacting here I think.
Van Gaal didn't get time to assemble a better squad because he didn't know the strengths and weakness of the squad he'd inherit. When he realized how weak the squad was he simply opted for a few world stars and Blind. And then he tried to blend it all together with an assistant he'd never worked with before. The defense crumbled with injuries forcing him to play kids, and he opted to play 5 at the back in order to strengthen a very weak defense, and this took some getting used to. Personally I hate 3:5:2, and I think with Evans and Jones at the back he doesn't need to use this system, especially against weaker teams, but he's obviously trying to get them comfortable playing this way because he sees it as the safest way to finish in the top 4. The boring possession-but-getting-nowhere style is a safe way of playing. Defend well, score first (usually from a setpiece), score again on the counter hopefully.
This style is not Van Gaal's normal style. He usually always plays 4:3:3, but he hasn't got the type of players for this system at the moment. The defense isn't good enough, and the midfielders are not quick enough. I'm just hoping we can cling to a top 4 finish, and then watch Van Gaal seriously go to work building a proper 4:3:3 team in the summer.
I think you're referring to the time when we switched from 4-4-2 diamond back to 3-5-2. In pre-season LVG said that the 3-5-2 system he was playing was due to an imbalance in the squad- too many numbers 9s and 10s and we continued with this in the very early games in the season. After we got ADM we went to 4-4-2 diamond and then he got injured and we ended up reverting back to 3-5-2, probably coupled with the defensive injuries. He did actually say in a press conference that we could not play four at the back with, at the time, no Shaw or Rafael available. Now we no longer have those injuries I can't understand why, in his QPR pre-match press conference, he's still saying that 3-5-2 is best system for this group of players, especially when our seemingly only effective attacking wingback- Young, isn't available. He also appears to be contradicting what he has been saying previously, if my reading of the above events is accurate.

This can comes across as being either stubbornness or cluelessness- especially when the results and the performances (with the lack of chance creation with all the attacking talent we have) are not going well in this new injury free period. I can perfectly understand why people are now starting to question LVG and why match-going fans are now chanting for 4-4-2.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
We won 2-0. In recent games city have drawn 2-2 at loftus road and Chelsea only won 2-1 at Stanford bridge.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
DDG
Rafael Smalling Rojo Shaw
Carrick
Januzaj/wilson Herrera Di Maria Blind
Rooney
That is a lineup I would like to see, with plenty of interchanging and tactical changes during a game. Herrera and Di Maria with the freedom to drop deep into midfield or go into the 10 position. Blind can go into a left wing back position, or even tuck in to midfield and allow ADM to overlap him and go into left wing. Herrera can go into right mid and allow wilson/Januzaj to go up top or drift into second striker role. Rooney can go back into midfield and wilson goes up top for abit. Plenty of flexibility, pace and quick movement and intelligent, incisive players out there on the pitch with solid amount of energy. Also alot of flair in that lineup.

Carrick should be left as sole DM, him and Blind both as DM's throughout a game is overkill.. Blind should be given licence to roam.

This could easily be changed to 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 during a game.

vibe

We won 2-0. In recent games city have drawn 2-2 at loftus road and Chelsea only won 2-1 at Stanford bridge.
But that wasn't because City were having a mare, it was because QPR raised their game. Today, they were dogshite. And instead of going for the jugular, we dwindled about and only when we went 4 at the back did we actually look like Manchester United playing Queens Park Rangers. Had we started with a diamond, we might have smashed these 5-0 or so.

Van Gaal is light years ahead of Moyes and I wouldn't want dithering Dave stepping one foot back at OT. But as it stands, we have more reason to hate LvG than Moyes. Because Moyes was just tactically inept and had no idea how to manage a top side. LvG knows how to win, but apparently doesn't want to.

Litch

I agree it's terrible to watch at times. For me it's simple, despite the well documented injuries for me there's no excuse for not passing the ball to a player in a red shirt. Also it's the slow and predictive ball movement and lack of pace in the side, and creativity. Strange to say when you think of Mata, Herrera, Rooney and DM in the side.
Finally, the constant changing of formations and playing players out of position. LvG at the moment as been a bigger disappoint than his signings at the moment.

Jaytay

Not a chance. We cannot be that club that sacks a manager after eight months. No one will want to join.

It was one thing letting a no-mark like Moyes go before he'd even been in the job a year, but if you start to show a willingness to drop managers with a world famous name the moment things turn sour then no one of any decent calibre will ever sign up for the job.
Barcelona, Chelsea and especially Real Madrid say hi.

Rafabio

LVG is a stubborn lunatic.

ADM striker and Rooney in midfield.

I can't stomach watching our games now. Everything looks out of sync and it's an eyesore, not to mention heartache, to watch us now.

XdanielredX

Van Gaal is doing his best to pass the point of no return. Top 4 will be out of reach in a month unless Van Gaal has a relevation: play on a normal formation and play the players in their fecking positions.

The match today looks like a pisstake. Lets be fair if someone in the summer would have said that we would play:

De Gea

Valencia Jones Evans Rojo Blind

Carrick Rooney

Mata

Di Maria Falcao​

nd Jones will be taking our corners we would all think that he's a lunatic.
To be fair if it was said back in the Summer most people would have been optimistic.

He had done well with the formation at the world cup.

Also people would probably think on paper the 5 at the back with wing-backs would help our defensive problems we were suffering under Moyes and after losing Rio, Vida and Evra.

Plus with seeing Rooney in midfield with Mata in behind Falcao and Di Maria at the top would have gotten people wet. Before they had seen it in action obviously...

Now we've seen it in action it's clear it needs to change haha.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not a chance. We cannot be that club that sacks a manager after eight months. No one will want to join.

It was one thing letting a no-mark like Moyes go before he'd even been in the job a year, but if you start to show a willingness to drop managers with a world famous name the moment things turn sour then no one of any decent calibre will ever sign up for the job.
Continental managers don't care about that, they know that they can be sacked at every second.

Our problem with LVG is not a little one, he is doing very stupid thing, he is costing us a lot of points, it is his fault if we aren't in a more comfortable situation. I like him and i rate him but if i was Woodward, i would have a meeting with him, and if he tries to take me for an idiot, he is fired.

Jaytay

Moyes was completely out of his debt, devoid of ideas, threw our former champion players under the bus. He even had the audacity to say Ferguson would struggle with the players he had, the man was delusional thinking he would really get five years without putting in the work.

I'm not Van Gaal's biggest fan, I think he is very arrogant, he talks the talk but not the walk, having said that anyone who thinks Moyes would be doing better than him given the funds needs to give their head a wobble.

However Van Gaal really shouldn't even be compared to Moyes, he should be compared to the top managers like Mourinho, Guardiola, Pellegrini, Ancelotti, Ferguson and right now Van Gaal isn't living up to the hype.

He has a great squad, any other manager would kill to be in his position he has been given huge freedom to do what he wants, he doesn't have an Abramovich or Perez breathing down his neck telling him which formation or players to play, he is not getting the best out of our players with his stupid fecking formation and making very idiotic mistakes. For those of you that say Mourinho plays boring football you are all high, I watched his Real Madrid and they played attractive football although they became defensive against Barcelona, his Chelsea team are also playing lovely passing attacking football, you see his players and everything looks easy and enjoyable. Please don't tell me their players are better because that is BS, we have the 4th best defence even with that BS formation that players are not familiar with.

If Van Gaal doesn't get his head out of the cloud it'll be him leaving instead of Falcao, he needs to stop playing players out of position and play 4 at the back.

Shark

@NotShark

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'm really hoping that yesterday will be a turning point in our season. First signs of dissatisfaction in the stands (but hardly a revolt) and eventual success with the back 4 and di Maria off the front line.

Van Gaal has done pretty well with an injury hit squad but the result of that seems to be that he's unsure about his best 11 so late into the season. Hopefully he can see he's been making life hard for himself by playing players out of position and he'll sort it.

Patience (with the style and system) is running thin and I'm sure he must be sensing that. Time to go back to basics.

RedFish

It's not really.

Leicester City, QPR........NOW that's shxxe

We will most likely finish top 4. We will have the luxury of spending a huge amount on new players in the summer and we have plenty to talk about in the meantime.....:cool:

Maccaa

It's not really.

Leicester City, QPR........NOW that's shxxe

We will most likely finish top 4. We will have the luxury of spending a huge amount on new players in the summer and we have plenty to talk about in the meantime.....:cool:
It just doesn't seem that simple for me. We are only just winning matches and surely that has too stop soon. So many teams are fluffing easy chances against us, it can't carry on that way for the rest of the season can it?

RedFish

It just doesn't seem that simple for me. We are only just winning matches and surely that has too stop soon. So many teams are fluffing easy chances against us, it can't carry on that way for the rest of the season can it?
It definitely could be better, but I've got absolutely no doubt we will get top 4. We're playing shit and the 'whole' is much less than the sum of our parts......Once LVG finds this mythical balance he keeps going on about then, I think this team can fly. We can and should be knocking teams over with the attack we have. My point is, making a habit of winning when you're playing badly is never a bad sign. The fact we KNOW we've got a summer spending spree to come is just gravy.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
if someone told me this was a league two game i wouldn't bat an eye lid.

soapythecat

I got slated for saying that LvG's football was worse than Moyes. Well, it certainly ain't better, in fact it's worse to watch, we just conceed less and that's the only improvement.
I'd love to see what improvement people are seeing this season. It's Sunday league football.

JoaquinJoaquin

I got slated for saying that LvG's football was worse than Moyes. Well, it certainly ain't better, in fact it's worse to watch, we just conceed less and that's the only improvement.
I'd love to see what improvement people are seeing this season. It's Sunday league football.
Mind out, you will get called a knee jerker for them type of statements buddy :rolleyes:

Must say though, that this football is atrocious if truth be told. With all the available talent we have it's actually unbelievable how little imagination we seem to have in breaking teams down. Doesn't help when we have players like Herrera not starting games mind.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
let's hold out for 5 mins and take them back to old trafford, it'll be a different game.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I've also said the same and I was slated for it some of our fans are so blinded.

We are no better and maybe we're worse than under moyes and that's the end of it anyone that can't see that needs their head checking