this is really, really s#&*

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We weren't this shit under Moyes. Seriously.
You have a short memory.
Losing home and away to Everton, Man City and Liverpool.
Going in to games to be difficult to beat, rather than with the intention of winning the game.
Moyes finally admitted (after being beaten repeatedly) that the only way forward is to assmble a totally brand new team. The title winning players were now junk.
Lets not forget that we finished 7th.

At present, we are on target to finish in the top 4 and we should have CL football (very important).

Perhaps you prefer mid-table finishes, but I prefer top 4 finishes. :yawn:

soapythecat

You have a short memory.
Going in to games to be difficult to beat, rather than with the intention of winning the game.
Moyes finally admitted (after being beaten repeatedly) that the only way forward is to assmble a totally brand new team. The title winning players were now junk.

At present, we are on target to finish in the top 4 and we should have CL football (very important).

Well we haven't finished in the top 4 yet mate. Aside from the games you mention, we have been beaten or drew against teams we beat under Moyes and as for going into games with the intention of winning them, well that's utter bollocks now as playing 3 CB's nullifies a huge amount of attacking talent and potential we have. LvG sets his team up not to lose - as did Moyes.

As I said in a previous post, I don't think we should be comparing this season to last as they are both equally as bad yet this time we have spend a small fortune and not improved.
But today, I honestly don't think we were this poor under Moyes.

justboy68

Well we haven't finished in the top 4 yet mate. Aside from the games you mention, we have been beaten or drew against teams we beat under Moyes and as for going into games with the intention of winning them, well that's utter bollocks now as playing 3 CB's nullifies a huge amount of attacking talent and potential we have. LvG sets his team up not to lose - as did Moyes.

As I said in a previous post, I don't think we should be comparing this season to last as they are both equally as bad yet this time we have spend a small fortune and not improved.
But today, I honestly don't think we were this poor under Moyes.
The football under Moyes was some of the most dire stuff I've ever seen. To the point where I wasn't even remotely looking forward to the matches. We've been playing some shite stuff recently no doubt about it, but I do think the passage of time has washed some of the stench of last season away for you.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
As long as we make top 4 I don't give a shit what happens this year. We're obviously out of the title race so if we want to experiment a bit or teach some players to play a bit differently I don't mind. Next year is when I will judge Van Gaal. Having said that, I expect a good showing in the FA cup and I can't really see us winning it with 352 so hopefully he can spot what needs to be done. I have every confidence that he can.

I would never have said any of the above about Moyes at this stage last year - the two men are in different leagues in terms of managerial ability.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
You'd think LvG would consider what he said in his first few games here, playing a team and system to the strength of the squad, which in a 3-5-2 including di Maria up front and Roo in midfield is evidently not to our strengths!

Hope the last 2 games are a wakeup call.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
You have a short memory.

That's what 352 is, us setting up to minimize our weaknesses when we should be focused on enhancing our strengths. It made us boring and predictable and, ultimately, beatable last year. That mentality is what's holding us back again.

soapythecat

As long as we make top 4 I don't give a shit what happens this year. We're obviously out of the title race so if we want to experiment a bit or teach some players to play a bit differently I don't mind. Next year is when I will judge Van Gaal. Having said that, I expect a good showing in the FA cup and I can't really see us winning it with 352 so hopefully he can spot what needs to be done. I have every confidence that he can.

I would never have said any of the above about Moyes at this stage last year - the two men are in different leagues in terms of managerial ability.
In terms of history and reputation, yes! In terms of first half season in charge of United, no. Stats and poor, poor football prove a very similar tale.

TwoSheds

In terms of history and reputation, yes! In terms of first half season in charge of United, no. Stats and poor, poor football prove a very similar tale.
Rubbish. The spirit in the squad was pathetic under Moyes. Even in our worst moments over the last few months we've never seen anything less than 100% effort from all our players - that is the mark of having a manager big enough to take on the United job.

Honestly the hysteria in this place over a few poor games and an experimental formation is cringeworthy. Yes the 352 is shit, but it doesn't actually matter as long as we make top 4 (and we will). I'm sure there is some logic behind trying it.

Getsme

The football under Moyes was some of the most dire stuff I've ever seen. To the point where I wasn't even remotely looking forward to the matches. We've been playing some shite stuff recently no doubt about it, but I do think the passage of time has washed some of the stench of last season away for you.
Let’s be honest here, some of the stuff LVG has served up has been pure sh!te, in fact it’s been beyond that. Today is just another example of how bad we have been over the last few games.
I’m not having a go at LVG, but if I had been watching our last few games as a neutral then I’d have switched over long before the half time whistle.

bishblaize

We weren't this shit under Moyes. Seriously.
In the 22nd game of last season we got beat 3-1 by Chelsea, which sparked a run of 5 defeats in 12 games. Seriously, we were far far worse under Moyes.

On the upside, you can cheer yourself up with this if you really think last season was better.

Link.

TwoSheds

Let’s be honest here, some of the stuff LVG has served up has been pure sh!te, in fact it’s been beyond that. Today is just another example of how bad we have been over the last few games.
I’m not having a go at LVG, but if I had been watching our last few games as a neutral then I’d have switched over long before the half time whistle.
We've lost one fecking game though, hardly a crisis. I thought the reality of having had such a wank manager post-Fergie would settle down the worst of the muppetry but seemingly we're still just as eager to stick the knife into the manager as people were in Fergie's years.

bishblaize

Rubbish. The spirit in the squad was pathetic under Moyes. Even in our worst moments over the last few months we've never seen anything less than 100% effort from all our players - that is the mark of having a manager big enough to take on the United job.

Honestly the hysteria in this place over a few poor games and an experimental formation is cringeworthy. Yes the 352 is shit, but it doesn't actually matter as long as we make top 4 (and we will). I'm sure there is some logic behind trying it.
I despair when people say that last season was better. If they're not happy with this season, fine. If they think LVG isnt up to it, fine. But Moyes lost a third of his league games as United manger. We may never see a performance as poor for a couple of decades. I mean really, people need a little perspective.

Getsme

We've lost one fecking game though, hardly a crisis. I thought the reality of having had such a wank manager post-Fergie would settle down the worst of the muppetry but seemingly we're still just as eager to stick the knife into the manager as people were in Fergie's years.
You seem a little angry, maybe you should go lie down.
Where have I said it’s a crisis? If you think LVG has served us with anything other than defensive, negative, anti football other the last 8 or 9 games then you are watching a different game to me. Further, you do realise people can justifiably criticise the manager but still believe in what they’re doing? Even Fergie got criticised FFS

bishblaize

Agreed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
anyone seeing some of the nonsense on here would think we'd not only lost today, but been stormtroopered.

Hed Zitin

Yes, I understand we were bad again, but we won and conclusions must me made at the end of the season, not now. Conclusions regarding his job, not regarding our performances.

No it was as bad as Villa, Stoke and Saints recently, but we beat a shit team.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I missed the first 60mins or so of this game and thought we were ok for the final 30. Therefore the start of this thread seems even more bat shit mental to me, than it must to those sane minded folk who saw the full 90 and then read this.

OneUnited24

Given how he defended the 352 in his post match interview i have a feeling we'll be reverting back to it for our next game. I understand what he means when he says in the diamond we lack balance in midfield but at the back we look unbalanced in a 352.

At least in the 442 we create and look better

TwoSheds

I missed the first 60mins or so of this game and thought we were ok for the final 30. Therefore the start of this thread seems even more bat shit mental to me, than it must to those sane minded folk who saw the full 90 and then read this.
In fairness we were utter dross offensively first half. Fellaini and Wilson combined with the switch in formation changed the game. We were heading for another drab 0-0 at that point. Nonetheless, the whining is ridiculous.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I remember Mancini tried the 3-5-2. City lost or dropped points every fecking time. It doesn't work in the English league.

paulscholes18

In the 22nd game of last season we got beat 3-1 by Chelsea, which sparked a run of 5 defeats in 12 games. Seriously, we were far far worse under Moyes.

On the upside, you can cheer yourself up with this if you really think last season was better.

Link.
I reckon more liverpool fans brought That then United fans

Gopher Brown

Yeah, but aren't we used to playing shite football and winning? For the last 7-8 years we have played functional, unstimulating football with the occasional great 45min thrown in now and again.

I said at the beginning of the season if can Gaal can't get it right, then I'm not sure who can. He's not, but the alternatives don't look much better.

jaimoe

You could at least see what Moyes was trying to do. This is just a mad man with a huge ego who is on a crusade to show the world how brilliant and intelligent he is.
Agreed, you'd have to think that at some point the Glazers and the inner circle will wonder if they can trst LVG with another open checkbook. He's not going to chnage to adapt to the epl, he's going to make the epl adapt to his methods.....madness.

204Red

This thread :lol::lol::lol:

I don't like 3-5-2
I don't like playing DiMaria as a striker
I don't like Phil Jones taking corners
I don't like Jonny Evans
I don't like Mata starting instead of Felliani

BUT... none of those are good reasons to fire our manager.

Err... we won 0-2... after the manager took the decisive action to change the formation and the two subs he made altered the course of the match.

And who ever claimed we were better off last season under Moyes... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jaimoe

I'll try to skip the muppetry, That said, a few thoughts I had:

What in the world will it take to get AJ off of the bench? Has he been chasing LVG's daughter or something? Seeing Afroman race over to hug him was a good laugh, even for AJ.

I thought Carrick was just shite today, am I wrong? Matta as well.

We do not have a single attacker that can break down the last defender and issue an accurate cros unless that player is Raphael. When Is Ashley Young back?

Starting to wonder if they should ship out RVP and AdM. AdM has oodles of talent but his game doesn't seem to match well with LVG's sytem.

Loved the punters chanting 4-4-2, priceless.

Really starting to like Blind, but you guys have a better eye for this than I do, does he deserve all of this pt?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The fact that it took 2 minutes for us to score after switching to a diamond makes me really question Van gaal. His stubbornness is intentionally putting us in difficult positions that we don't have to be in from the beginning. We don't have to play Di Maria upfront and Rooney in midfield. We don't have to play 5 at the back. He goes on about lack of 'balance' in a diamond/back 4 yet he goes on to have a midfield of 2 attacking midfielders (Rooney and Mata), leaving all the work on Carrick. With the 2 attacking midfielders playing exactly behind the strikers we are clueless in possession. The rare moments Di Maria dropped deep and ran at players, we created chances. It's so mind blowingly simple that Van gaal is making himself look criminal with the decisions.

ManUArfa

The system should be about accommodating your in form (performance/productivity wise) players in to the areas of the pitch where they're most effective. I think a 4-4-2 diamond / 4-3-3 depending on how you want to view it is our best bet:

=======DDG======
Rafael Jones Smalling Blind
======Carrick======
===Herera===Di Maria=
=======Mata======
===Wilson===Rooney==

....with Fellaini coming in for matches/periods where we need more physicality in place of either Herera, Di Maria or Mata.

-We don't need to worry too much about ball playing centre backs with a coventional back four and both Jones and Smalling are a handful for strikers
-Rafael and Blind have been showing themselves to have the best delivery from full back positions
-Carrick is much better with mobile players around him and we know full well how he shields a back four when we're out of possession
-Herera and Di Maria offer the mobility, intelligence and drive in the midfield and can chip in goals and assists
-Mata is most effective when played off the strikers, getting goals and assists
-Wayne, as we all know, is best as far forward as possible and given the freedom to roam
-Wilson, with his pace and finishing prowess and given regular full games, could well out-perform the ageing, slow Falcao and RVP
-Fellani can come on for either of the mobile midfield positions, or to play off the strikers and has also shown himself to have goals in him

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
This thread :lol::lol::lol:

I don't like 3-5-2
I don't like playing DiMaria as a striker
I don't like Phil Jones taking corners
I don't like Jonny Evans
I don't like Mata starting instead of Felliani

BUT... none of those are good reasons to fire our manager.

Err... we won 0-2... after the manager took the decisive action to change the formation and the two subs he made altered the course of the match.

And who ever claimed we were better off last season under Moyes... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
-352 is shit, we look awful against everyone whilst playing it. it was forgivable with the injury crisis but not any longer. and if he's claiming he doesn't have the players to play anything else it's going to cost us a billion pounds to challenge for the league again as he's spent 150m, on top of what wasn't the worst squad in the league, that "limits" his options.
-di maria cost 60m and isn't a striker, if he wanted a striker maybe spend 60m on one of those instead.
-why exactly is he taking corners? surely he is one of the best we have at heading and probably not as good as any other of our options? unless we were so worried about breaking down stubborn qpr that we needed to try and shock them into letting a goal in from a set piece.
-evans is a bit poo, not much lvg can do other than replace him in the summer, probably with a striker, who he'll then play at left back.
-we look better with him than mata in the horrible system we're playing.

yeah, we won, against a pretty woeful side, whilst being poor for most of the game, as we have nearly all season. he might be lvg but we're hardly miles ahead from this time last year despite a massive outlay and a large slice of luck here and there. i'm happier than i was with moyes and feel he can turn it around but the longer he goes on ignoring what's pretty obvious to everyone else the harder it is to support him.