Thomas Tuchel confirmed as PSG's new manager

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Haven't really watched much of PSG this year but I assume the signings of Gana and Herrera have made a difference in CM? Given them a bit more steel and balance and allowed the front 3 more licence to stay upfront compared to previous CL editions.

Is Marquinhos still playing as a midfielder? Interesting he hasn't gone back to CB considering he always plays there for Brazil.

Anyway they'll be underdogs v likely Bayern but with the individual quality in their team you never know if they can counter attack well on the night.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What's behind the argument between Tuchel and RB Leipzig fitness coach?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
What's behind the argument between Tuchel and RB Leipzig fitness coach?
During the match Tuchel wasn't happy with some of the fouls they were commiting spoke with Nagelsmann who seemed to have understood fitness coach got involved and had a few words and it continued on after the match.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Just realized Keylor Navas is going to his 4th Champion's league final in a row, has that ever happened in the modern era?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Just realized Keylor Navas is going to his 4th Champion's league final in a row, has that ever happened in the modern era?
Last season he didn't reach finals. It was Liverpool vs Spurs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Oh, I chose to forget that moment but you're right, I'm drunk.
Actually you are right, Navas reached finals in 4 consecutive years. Let's just forget 2019 altogether, considering who won it :D

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Haven't really watched much of PSG this year but I assume the signings of Gana and Herrera have made a difference in CM? Given them a bit more steel and balance and allowed the front 3 more licence to stay upfront compared to previous CL editions.

Is Marquinhos still playing as a midfielder? Interesting he hasn't gone back to CB considering he always plays there for Brazil.

Anyway they'll be underdogs v likely Bayern but with the individual quality in their team you never know if they can counter attack well on the night.
They've done well to get to the final but tbh that's as easy a draw as you get to reach the final. I'm not sure they would have failed to reach the final under their previous managers. I suppose their defence does look better.

Bayern apart the CL has been weak this season.

Suedesi

They've done well to get to the final but tbh that's as easy a draw as you get to reach the final. I'm not sure they would have failed to reach the final under their previous managers. I suppose their defence does look better.

Bayern apart the CL has been weak this season.
Wot mate?

trailertrash

Supports
Bayern Munich
Seriously!? people calling Atalanta a cake-walk. That team is seriously good and by no means a pushover, any team would've struggled against them. Apparently Tuchel told his players that Atalanta can't keep up with this pressing and would slow down in the 2nd half, just wait and capitalize.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

To be honest, Gana maybe had 1 great game (against Real Madrid) 1 good game (against Dortmund) and A LOT of average to bad performances. PSG isn't a good team for him since he isn't very comfortable with the ball. It was a poor signing fo us and he'd be far better in other teams.

Ander has been injured most of the time, which is sad, yesterday's game was probably his best with us so far.

So overall, i can't say these signings are the improvement we need in CM. But both have impeccable team spirit.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You assume wrong, they've been shite.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

He was supposed to be back in defense but the midfielders that you mentioned were too bad and in the case of Herrera also not fit.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Tuchel is the guy who was so upset at Dortmund signing Guerreiro and Dembele instead of getting more of his wishes like Schürrle, Toprak and Bellarabi that he whined to the press about it. For someone so great a tactician he surely has some baffling ideas about transfers.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Tuchel is the guy who was so upset at Dortmund signing Guerreiro and Dembele instead of getting more of his wishes like Schürrle, Toprak and Bellarabi that he whined to the press about it. For someone so great a tactician he surely has some baffling ideas about transfers.
I'm sure he sanctioned the buys of Kehrer and Choupo Moting as well :lol:Certainly not someone you would trust with transfers.

Mainoldo

The mad scientist. Great manager but weird guy. I like him though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm sure he sanctioned the buys of Kehrer and Choupo Moting as well :lol:Certainly not someone you would trust with transfers.
I wouldn't criticise him for signing Choupo-Moting, he was an experienced striker backup who had a previous working relationship with Tuchel and they signed him on a free. With that Eder moment against Atalanta he paid back any investment.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Van Gaal's prodigal son. I was shocked when I read that they were seriously going after Braafheid and Pranjic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The French seem to have the best talent/players in the game at the moment and the Germans seem to have the best coaches.

Always liked Tuchel (albeit, i hear he could be quite a difficult personality), but let's be honest, PSG managers are basically rated on how they do in Europe (which he's done better than any before him, tbf).

Himannv

Marquinhos is still a midfielder, although he does step back into the defense when the two CBs get stretched when chasing attackers. Happens more when they don't have the ball. It works quite well with him at the base, with Gueye, Herrera, and Veratti playing around him. Gueye in particular has been great at pressing and has added the steel I think. Anyway, I don't feel Marquinhos is as good a playmaker as they'd like in that position and they seem to hope Neymar does something to bail them out against more defensive teams.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He's lucked his way to final with easy draws in Atalanta and Leipzig. He's getting his ass kicked on Sunday!
What gives me hope is that Bayern played 1:1 and 0:0 in tge league against Leipzig. PSG did much better against them than Bayern did.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
His french seems great. And a french friend of mine said it was quite good already when he signed. Can you confirm this @JPRouve @BBRBB @Ecstatic ?
Seems like one of the few Germans who didn't waste his 5 years school french classes.
It's good, it's not great.
You would think Spanish to French would be fairly easy adaptation, I mean a lot of words are similar.
You're right that Spanish and French are more similar than German and French, but there are other factors that come into play when learning a language. The fact Di Maria is likely not a very educated individual and has only ever spoken one language in his life would work against him. On the contrary, despite French not being that similar to German, if Tuchel for example already spoke another language (like English), his brain would be wired in such a way that learning yet another one would come easier to him.

Still, the point that Di Maria is a cnut is obviously important and should be reminded at every opportunity.

Suedesi

What gives me hope is that Bayern played 1:1 and 0:0 in tge league against Leipzig. PSG did much better against them than Bayern did.
And PSG beat Lyon on penalties after 120 minutes of a 0:0 stalemate so I tend to not pay attention to that stuff.

passing-wind

Like Tuchel he's a quality manager and very unconventional. Those signings that he's made that posters have questioned are the exact type that PSG were in need of engine room runners with versatility positionally which gives his team tactical fluidity if he needs to adopt a different approach.

It's exactly as R.Keane described having a flair based team doesn't win you titles it's the ability to effectively rotate when necessary which gives consistency.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He rightly chose a safer approach, not trying to be an Einstein but just making stars & role players feel at ease. Great skill, one he probably grew out of all the sh*t and the sack danger he had to bear in the last two years. Point now is, the final game must be won otherwise it will be a Poch 2.0 imho, a few months to lick the wounds.

GenZRed

Atalanta and RB Leipzig. That’s an open goal tbf
Too right. Only way PSG could get past the QF was by having an easy run. They have been very lucky to make it.

Man City also had an easy run. Thankfully they lost to Lyon. A PSG v Man City final would be an absolute nightmare that I wouldn't bother watching. .

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Thirds in Serie A and Bundesliga. Bayern played 0:0 and 1:1 against Leipzig for example. Don't think it was that easy to be fair. Leipzig was chanceless and even if they aren't a first tier club, that's rarely the case.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I wouldn't criticise him for signing Choupo-Moting, he was an experienced striker backup who had a previous working relationship with Tuchel and they signed him on a free. With that Eder moment against Atalanta he paid back any investment.
Didn't he have another such a moment before already? I remember a caftard having a complete meltdown over this in the Atalanta game.
Also, according to Tuchel, he acts as dressing room glue, and supposedly takes part in holding their team together.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hate the whole 'easy run' nonsense. You can only beat what is in front of you. And for some teams that wasn't doable (CIty, Juventus, Atletico)

JPRouve

Scout
Thirds in Serie A and Bundesliga. Bayern played 0:0 and 1:1 against Leipzig for example. Don't think it was that easy to be fair. Leipzig was chanceless and even if they aren't a first tier club, that's rarely the case.
The games against Dortmund weren't deemed easy when the draw happens, Atalanta were one of the teams in great form and Leipzig have been easy for no one. PSG also finished above Real Madrid in their group, it's a bit easy to claim that it was the easiest run ever.

Bojan11

So what’s going to happen with him? Already rumours of Allegri though from shit sources.

They made the final. Think he deserves a crack to take them to the next step.