Film Thor: Ragnarok

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Actually the only disappointment was they missed the obvious joke about Thor channeling lighting when he's referred to as the God of Thunder.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Actually the only disappointment was they missed the obvious joke about Thor channeling lighting when he's referred to as the God of Thunder.
Thunder is the sound caused by lightning....

Loved the film. Big fan of Waititi's stuff though.

Golden Nugget

It’s already in the cinemas in Hong Kong.

Saw it last night, fantastic movie - loved it to bits. One of favorite films in the MCU - if not my favorite.

Watiti did an excellent job as the previous Thor movies were probably the worst ones.

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
Agree with the majority in here, this is the best Marvel movie by a distance. Absolutely hilarious. I'm not a fan of these films in general (the first Guardians being the only one I've properly enjoyed so far) but with two kids who love them I'm kind of forced into seeing them all.

Had no idea Taika Waititi was involved until I saw his name (love his films) but he managed to turn a completely crazy setting and story into a hugely relatable movie. His Korg character was a gem but what really stood out was how much fun the actors were having with the obvious ad-libbing. That must have been a great set to work on. Fingers crossed Taika returns to direct a few more of these and at the very least I hope his character is used again in this universe.

Heartily recommend everyone check this out. A great way to spend a couple of hours.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Nice to know it's getting good reviews. Have despised the Thor franchise to date but the trailers did look decent for this, so am tempted to give this a go.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It’s already in the cinemas in Hong Kong.

Saw it last night, fantastic movie - loved it to bits. One of favorite films in the MCU - if not my favorite.

Watiti did an excellent job as the previous Thor movies were probably the worst ones.
Saw it last week too. Great movie, far far better than previous Thors.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Saw it on Saturday, thought it was great!
Really funny and engaging, the fight scenes were great.

Also Chris Hemsworth topless & Tessa Thompson :drool:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Should've made a gag about that as well. Gratuitous as hell. :lol:

Also was the reason for the haircut scene purely because Hemsworth was sick of wearing that silly wig?
That wig was actually ridiculous :lol:
For a blockbuster film with a huge budget, whoever supplied his hair has royally mugged them off.

Also - I really loved Jeff Goldbum's character, because I love everything he does.

Jig1234

So funny. Korg, Hulk & Thor had me in bits. Tessa Thompson is an amazing valkyrie. One of the funniest films.

Only downside was that we didn't get to see Lady Sif but Jaimie Alexander was busy with Blindspot and it didn't work out.

I hope Sif returns. Her character has not been flushed out enough.

Witchking

Was extremely bored for half the movie. Not a comic book fan but I enjoyed guardians. This was not fun.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seen this last night and heartily enjoyed it. I love Thor from the comics and Chris Hemsworth has always done a good job imo, despite previous standalone Thor films not being very good. But this one was brilliant, probably in my top three with Winter Soldier and the first Guardians of the Galaxy film. Really, really funny and Taika Waititi's character was scene stealing, along with Hulk on top form and Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie was great too.

Highly recommend.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My immediate thoughts after seeing this yesterday would put this as one of my favourite Marvel films. Loved it.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
It was quite enjoyable and at times genuinely funny. Most of the "jokes" were pretty obvious and childish though, as you would expect, and just there to keep the mood light and cheerful, which is perfectly fine. That didn't stop half the people in my cinema laughing out loud to every second line though, the simple peasants.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s fecking superb. Far, far and away the best Marvel movie.

Honestly, it was brilliant from start to finish.

Edit: Still buzzing.

I'll try and put some coherent thoughts together. The chemistry between the characters was terrific. Clearly a ton of ad-libbing going on, and that made it such a fun ride. There were some genuinely hilarious moments. Yet despite the wonderful characters, I'd say the action was also the best we've seen in a marvel movie. Thor was finally properly powered, after they watered him down for The Avengers.

Korg was obviously brilliant, but there wasn't a single character I disliked. Best Marvel villain, best comedy, best action, and Tessa Thompson was definitely the best female character we've seen in a Marvel movie.

Thing about a lot of these movies is that they take themselves far too seriously. Even when they try a little humour, the over riding theme is of big stakes and seriousness. Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool were the two that broke the mold for me, in being actually enjoyable super hero movies for adults. Thor: Ragnarok does exactly the same thing. Somehow managing to not take itself seriously at all, yet still convey a greater sense of gravitas and consequence than any of the Avenger movies.

Taika Waititi, take a bow son.

Last edited:

kps88

That scene on the bridge when Immigrant Song starts playing....:drool:

Reiver

Just seen it last night: brilliant! Easily the best Thor film and better than a great deal of other Marvel Studio's films. Great blend of action and humour. Would love to see The Tragedy of Loki in the West End.
And Korg... hilarious.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Watched this in an I-max in 3d. Glad I did because the cinematic effect really hit home.

Didn't go in with high expectations as the previous Thor films were run-of-the-mill fare, but the leap in quality across the board really was quite astonishing - this is the kind of film that gets a franchise underway in its own right, pretty much in the way the first GoG did.

I'd expect big things from any Marvel-Waititi product off the back of this and would be put at ease with parting with my money because of his name being attached.

I guess a lot of people watching this won't have ever seen or heard of Korg before. In the comics, he's a proud, noble and stoic character, so it was a big surprise to see him as a comedy vehicle in this. Most times, followers of the comics bemoan every big-screen alteration, but I can't see Korg coming in for the same kind of criticism because the change for his big screen debut was really well done. I went on the opening Friday last week, so the cinema was packed, and he was easily the most well received character by the audience.

Some people won't like the comedic avenue and self-awareness these Marvel films now have, but I personally think it keeps the genre fresh, or at least fresher than it otherwise would be. As far as popcorn movies go, these really do deliver, which is a must when a trip to the cinema for two people is costing north of £50 these days.

I have no hesitancy in giving Marvel my hard-earned, whereas the DC offerings, I'll always wait for home release.

kps88

Was Goldblum making ass jokes when Thor mentioned Asgard? Those were censored out for me.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It was OK. But the Marvel movies are almost the exact same these days and leaves a lot to be desired. It follows the exact same theme as Iron Man 3 and introduces some of the funkiness that made GotG such a fun experience - which isn't unique when it's been done twice before. The humour was good but it gets to a point when you realise that you're not watching a comedy and that there's very little substance to the actually story.

It was a cool film, funny on several occasions, and it was great to see the Hulk. However, it's a little more of the same and the Marvel Universe seems to be running out of ideas for their films.

RadoRed

That scene on the bridge when Immigrant Song starts playing....:drool:
I thought it was used one time too many. They could have gone for ACDC's Thunderstruck. Might have been slightly too cheesy though.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Worth seeing in 3d?
Haven't seen it in 2d, so can't comment on that, but I will say the 3d is seamless and gives a few amazing sense of scale. The 3d doesn't feel like it's been tacked on to make some extra ££, but I can't say whether it enhances the experience until I watch it again in 2d to make the compare and contrast.

If you're watching it in an I-max, I don't think you'd regret opting for 3d. Might be a bit of a waste on a smaller screen.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'd say that it was the best out of all Marvel's movies that I've seen. Not a huge fan of original Avengers, thought they were a bit dull, the added humour (it seems like it's a common trend — Guardians of Galaxy, Deadpool) and a nonchalant approach makes it much better

EyeInTheSky

Hands down the best Marvel film ever made. Phenomenal movie.
Agree with the majority in here, this is the best Marvel movie by a distance. Absolutely hilarious. I'm not a fan of these films in general (the first Guardians being the only one I've properly enjoyed so far) but with two kids who love them I'm kind of forced into seeing them all.

Had no idea Taika Waititi was involved until I saw his name (love his films) but he managed to turn a completely crazy setting and story into a hugely relatable movie. His Korg character was a gem but what really stood out was how much fun the actors were having with the obvious ad-libbing. That must have been a great set to work on. Fingers crossed Taika returns to direct a few more of these and at the very least I hope his character is used again in this universe.

Heartily recommend everyone check this out. A great way to spend a couple of hours.
It’s fecking superb. Far, far and away the best Marvel movie.

Honestly, it was brilliant from start to finish.

Edit: Still buzzing.

I'll try and put some coherent thoughts together. The chemistry between the characters was terrific. Clearly a ton of ad-libbing going on, and that made it such a fun ride. There were some genuinely hilarious moments. Yet despite the wonderful characters, I'd say the action was also the best we've seen in a marvel movie. Thor was finally properly powered, after they watered him down for The Avengers.

Korg was obviously brilliant, but there wasn't a single character I disliked. Best Marvel villain, best comedy, best action, and Tessa Thompson was definitely the best female character we've seen in a Marvel movie.

Thing about a lot of these movies is that they take themselves far too seriously. Even when they try a little humour, the over riding theme is of big stakes and seriousness. Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool were the two that broke the mold for me, in being actually enjoyable super hero movies for adults. Thor: Ragnarok does exactly the same thing. Somehow managing to not take itself seriously at all, yet still convey a greater sense of gravitas and consequence than any of the Avenger movies.

Taika Waititi, take a bow son.
Was extremely bored for half the movie. Not a comic book fan but I enjoyed guardians. This was not fun.

:confused::lol::lol: