Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
They're closing in on a CL trophy so hard to make the case he's past it.

Also, something like 10k Bayern fans have signed a petition to keep him at Bayern, which suggests the fan base are still behind him despite a poor league year.
Notably, this only happened after Alonso and Nagelsmann snubbed them, and Rangnick became the alternative.

bondsname

Ever since Ole got the sack my interest in general football waned. I went from keeping up with basically everything to limiting my focus to only United, so I don't know much about Tuchel these days. I know he won the Champions Leauge with Chelsea and was the manager of Dortmund prior, but still my gut feeling says No. I don't like how he carries himself, and he's probably going to pick a fight with the board and stir up problems. He doesn't build teams for the future which is what we need right now.

caid

I feel like he'd be a better choice if we had a better team. I think i'd nearly prefer de zerbi despite his struggles because it would feel a more natural successor. I think our squad is still a bit of a cobbled together frankenstein and i'd personally want to continue in the same general direction even if it might lead to ultimately weaker finish in the league. I feel like Tuchel might be enough of a departure to set us back in building a vaguely coherent squad.
Theres definitely worse choices and i wouldn't complain if we got him. But i get Van Gaal > Mourinho bad vibes from it.

the_cliff

Ever since Ole got the sack my interest in general football waned. I went from keeping up with basically everything to limiting my focus to only United, so I don't know much about Tuchel these days. I know he won the Champions Leauge with Chelsea and was the manager of Dortmund prior, but still my gut feeling says No. I don't like how he carries himself, and he's probably going to pick a fight with the board and stir up problems. He doesn't build teams for the future which is what we need right now.
I feel like I've seen this post in the thread 100x. Tuchel is a head coach not a manager. The new management of Manchester United (Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox) are in charge of building the team going forward. We will no longer have a manager dictate transfer policy.

Tuchel is not in charge of building the squad and has never been in charge of building the squad. Not at Chelsea, not at Bayern and certainly not at PSG.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Throughout his career as a first team manager, Tuchel has been an advocate of engineered conflict. He likes to create complex problems for his players to solve and detests players who cannot think on their feet. In this respect, he seeks to set himself apart from the likes of Klopp and Pep who are consistently systematic in their approach and prefer to micromanage every aspect of the buildup play.
Oh, he would love our bunch.

Someone

Something
There were some interesting rumors about him around his last days with Chelsea. Remember Simon Jordan alluding to some personal issues that he can't discuss.

NZT-One

He shouldn't anyways. Team planning should mainly be in the hands of another person/role than the head coach.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I would take him over the other propose managers. Tuchel has managed big team and have experience in English League, I think he is best fit in term of experience. It is weird to see Kane not winning something in Germany, what a letdown!

m1tch

Notably, this only happened after Alonso and Nagelsmann snubbed them, and Rangnick became the alternative.
Bloody hell, you might even be pleased to take Southgate over him.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
He fell out at Chelsea cause the owners wanted to buy Ronaldo and ignored his suggestions. The owners were playing real life FM like a 5 year old and he rightly called them out. He fell out at Bayern cause they are simply FC Holywood. If anything the board who decided to sack him were also sacked and they are trying to get him back

Woziak

I don't know much about him but

Sacked at Dortmund
Left due to a falling out at PSG
Sacked at Chelsea
Going to be sacked at Bayern

Doesn't fill me with confidence
Won a trophy at Dortmund, Challenged Bayern.
Won a quadruple with PSG and then got to CL Final against Bayern unlucky not to win?
Qualified for CL in 3rd Place, Managed Chelsea through a difficult period following the takeover, beat City in a CL final, then beat him in a couple of PL games. Lost three domestic finals, two on pens. Won World club Cup and Super Cup on pens.
Average over 2pts per PL game and scores nearly 2 goals per game in PL.
Won Bundersliga at Bayern, may win a second CL with Bayern. At one time considered elite just below Klopp and Pep, he is the only option that knows PL football and expects results immediately, he’s not perfect but he’s a huge upgrade on ETH.

His CV is a huge upgrade on Eric the fraud’s!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I like the idea of Tuchel being the builder at United much like LvG was for Bayern. We need someone to build a strong template we can use for years. My issue is with his man and board management - can’t have a new manager falling out and needing to be sacked within a year. I’m not someone who feels every hiring has to be for 5-10 years, but he does seem to pick fights all the time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like the idea of Tuchel being the builder at United much like LvG was for Bayern. We need someone to build a strong template we can use for years. My issue is with his man and board management - can’t have a new manager falling out and needing to be sacked within a year. I’m not someone who feels every hiring has to be for 5-10 years, but he does seem to pick fights all the time.
Tbf he was quite settled at Chelsea and got along well with their structure until they were all forced to leave. Dortmund he fell out because they kept selling star players and he wanted to push higher. PSG was because Leonardo is a muppet and a shit sporting director and he wanted them to stop chasing star names but do players that fit. Boehly is a muppet, and Tuchel was annoyed that he had to take a bigger role in transfers and just wanted to focus on coaching. Bayern, well he hasn't fully fallen out, hasn't done that badly, but the people that hired him (Kahn and Salihamidzic) were both replaced last summer so they just want their own thing probably.

Obviously, repeated behavior indicates something, but it's not a guarantee of being just a short term thing. He was relatively long term at Mainz, and he's done a good job wherever he's gone. Also, he was without a doubt correct in his reasons for falling out at Dortmund, PSG and Chelsea under Boehly, which counts for something for sure. If anything I respect him more for sticking to his guns rather than taking the paycheck. He's undoubtedly one of the best coaches in the world. Presumably, this board is here to stay long term, with guys like Wilcox and Ashworth gonna be there for a while. If Tuchel and them agree on a plan, then you'd hope they both stick to it and would be happy with the arrangement. By all accounts, Tuchel wants to just focus on coaching which is in line with what the board now wants.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Building a team is Berrada and Ashworth. Not the coach.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Building a team is Berrada and Ashworth. Not the coach.
By building I meant the playstyle. Aside from signings who I agree should be largely with the executives (in consultation with the manager) but actually putting in place a system - club predetermined or otherwise - and coaching the players is the managers responsibility. LVG is reknown for his work in this regard at Bayern and we need some of that at United even if it’s one of many ingredients.

davidmichael

By building I meant the playstyle. Aside from signings who I agree should be largely with the executives (in consultation with the manager) but actually putting in place a system - club predetermined or otherwise - and coaching the players is the managers responsibility. LVG is reknown for his work in this regard at Bayern and we need some of that at United even if it’s one of many ingredients.
Sir Jim himself said they wanted to move towards a head coach rather than a manager and that the new footballing structure as in Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and Williams will decide on our playing style and players to fit that style so the head coach can focus on coaching, training and picking the best eleven every week which is perfect for how Tuchel wants to work and as a coach he’s a top 10 in the world and was seen as only behind Guardiola and Klopp during his time at Chelsea.

Josep Dowling

Anyone wanting him must be having a laugh. He’s completely failed at the biggest club in Germany with all the advantages they have in the league. Shouldn’t have won the league last season and been dominated this season. It was the same at Chelsea, they were poor in the league.

NoPace

I just think he's not the man to build up our club. The example you quoted shows that Klopp and Tuchel worked together at Mainz but they couldn’t be more different in terms of management style. I think Tuchel is more knowledgeable tactically speaking. And crazier. Tuchel has no empathy whatsoever. He's a journeyman, who will stay 2-3 years at the club, fight with everyone and leave in a heap.

THat's all.
Yeah, I sort of think the right Prem move for him would be Newcastle if they could avoid falling out with him.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Am not sold on Tuchel because I don't think our squad suits him at all and with his personality it could become ugly pretty soon. Think he is worth a gamble based on his resume, but not sure he will be a success. In Chelsea he had Thiago Silva who was majestic with ball in his feet (Lisandro could somewhat step up here, but Silva's long passing is on another level). He had Jorginho to control the tempo and the team was much more suited to keep the ball. I guess we would see more of what Bayern is playing now and I don't like it, it is again too chaotic with them being too open.

Have no idea where boring/conservative tags are coming from. In Chelsea he definitely didn't play some amazing attacking football, but otherwise he showed he is far more open and on a front foot coach.

For example, Dortmund had an average ball possession of 64% in his time there...

Ultimately Tuchel would not prove to be as successful as Klopp in terms of silverware but he did outdo him on other metrics. His team was more creative, creating more and better quality of chances worth 78.84 NPxG – by far the most in the league. Furthermore whilst the average club amassed 0.11 xG/Shot in 2015/16, Tuchel’s side had an average xG of 0.153. His overall record of 68 wins, 23 draws, and 17 defeats in 108 games, with a win percentage of 62.96% was also superior.
PSG played some great stuff. In Bayern you just have to watch the last CL tie vs City that he lost but he basically threw a kitchen sink at them, more possession, more shots on goal, etc..

Would be a massive upgrade, but an obvious risk considering his conflicting nature. His Bayern spell is also a failure unless he takes CL and it is actually his first bad spell in any club.

Bondi77

He should stay in Germany....I don't think he is well liked in England and I had the feeling he didn't really like it here either.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He should stay in Germany....I don't think he is well liked in England and I had the feeling he didn't really like it here either.
He said himself few months ago that he feels more respected in England than in Germany.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Question is why does Tuchel think that?
For example because if Tuchel hadn't decided to make Pavlovic his first choice DM and move Kimmich out of his preferred position to RB Hoeneß likely wouldn't even know who Pavlovic is.

saivet

I just randomly remembered that Tuchel was the PSG manager for those Ole fixtures (knock outs and the group stage). Interestingly enough Ole won both fixtures in Paris and lost both games at OT.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He doesn’t, apparently.
Hoeness quote sounds so off. From the outside I would have said the opposite, Tuchel seems to like young players and players that he can mold in different roles, if anything from what I have seen and heard, what he doesn't like is when you bring players from the outside for the sake of it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hoeness quote sounds so off. From the outside I would have said the opposite, Tuchel seems to like young players and players that he can mold in different roles, if anything from what I have seen and heard, what he doesn't like is when you bring players from the outside for the sake of it.
I’ve always had that impression of him also. It’s an interesting one because I think he has become more pragmatic as he has become longer in the tooth as a coach — when he first started out he was seen as the “good football” guy, and now he’s seen more as a solutions based manager who will win trophies. I think he’s still ultimately somewhere inbetween the two

FortunaUtd

Hoeness (who has no executive position anymore) is talking out of his arse because he is an old man losing grasp of reality.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’ve always had that impression of him also. It’s an interesting one because I think he has become more pragmatic as he has become longer in the tooth as a coach — when he first started out he was seen as the “good football” guy, and now he’s seen more as a solutions based manager who will win trophies. I think he’s still ultimately somewhere inbetween the two
I don't know if it's a new thing. It's something that he did with Dortmund fairly early and iirc players were upset because he would tinker too much including during games. With PSG, he tried everything and even when things were working he would try to find ways to fix minor issues and add options. And I agree he somewhere inbetween but he has the ability to drill his team very well for both extremes, he probably still lacks the balance and patiences. Someone like SAF had a similar ability but SAF would let a particular set of players settle in whatever identity that suited them, Tuchel still tries to "meddle" a bit too much.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Managerial pickings are so slim, that we have to take a risk this summer, regardless who it is. I'd prefer Potter, but Tuchel will do too.

Just keep that poor mans Ole Southgate the feck away from this club.