Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Fooza

Yeah but do you want Jose back?

Tuchel just played a CL semifinal 15 min ago. Mourinho is somewhere I don't know.
Neither to be honest but my point on Mourinho is honours can mean nothing, I'd never want Mourinho. I'm just not convinced by Tuchel, never have been. I feel a lot of the 'need' for wanting Tuchel on here is just out of desperation of EtH leaving than anything else.

AneRu

He swapped out Kim for Sane and reverted to a back 5 at 75 minutes. That's a tactical tweak to try and defend the remainder of the game. The other two subs were 84th minute and broadly like for like. Chuppo Moting for Kane what the feck :lol:

Really insanely dumb substitutions, being highlighted in anger by Owen Hargreaves too. He said he called the Real goals when he saw the subs. I don't discount that, a lot of us did.
I think many are agreeing with you that he bottled the last 15 minutes those were horrible changes to a situation that was under control. But he did get them to a CL semi and was competitive against a serial winning Madrid team with a team going through its worst season in a decade. Couple that with what he has achieved before you can clearly see that he is a guy that can make a team competitive, which is what we need to be right now.

Winrar

If it wasn't for Neuer's howler in the end, forum would be singing Tuchel's praises and then some.

Ruthless but such margins decide football.

saivet

I'd take him over ETH and the other options mentioned but the funny thing is, myself and others that want him, don't think he's a long term choice, doubt he will ever get us close to winning the PL or CL and also don't think the football will be all that entertaining. It kind of shows how bad the situation is, when I think about it.

Shinjch

And why you think is that? Because the ones who moan about him spout extreme bullshit that is not true, so of course it gets pushback. It might seem like some Tuchel defense, but it is just defense against bullshit.
It feels to me like people are desperate for a change, which is absolutely fair. And Tuchel seems more likely to bring success than Southgate, so they are latching on to him, which also makes sense.

Still doesn't mean that his subs tonight weren't bad. And that he doesn't have faults.

Just don't think it's wise to be defensive of a manager and their performance before he is even in the door. We have had all this before with our previous appointments too I'm sure.

spiriticon

Neither to be honest but my point on Mourinho is honours can mean nothing, I'd never want Mourinho. I'm just not convinced by Tuchel, never have been. I feel a lot of the 'need' for wanting Tuchel on here is just out of desperation of EtH leaving than anything else.
I'm not a Tuchel fan either, but imo there is no perfect manager for Manchester United. So for me there's no point in analysing every manager in small detail. Honours only mean they have past experience of getting to the promised land, which definitely helps. But it all means feck all once they join this club.

If Tuchel wants to join and the stars align, let's go.

Red Royal

Tuchel isn't ideal but he is the best out there available. As someone else said, if it doesn't work out, sack him. The days of 4+ years of a manager are largely gone anyway.

Shark

@NotShark
Yeah, we're pretty fecked aren't we. Still think this guy would be an improvement on ETH but we're talking slim margins judging by his in game tactics and subs tonight.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I can hear the distant choo-choo behind the horizon.

Media will milk this so hard tomorrow.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's easily the best option by most metrics. He's not the one that is the most exciting, as that would go to somebody newer to the game that could have a potentially bigger upside that we've not yet seen. But he's probably what we need the most right now. He can be pragmatic when needed, he will trust younger players, he can coach possession football and pressing football, he's got the experience at a big club... for me he's the safest choice for Ineos, I don't think they could go too far wrong with him.

Dannn411

I refuse to talk about football with anyone who believes there is barely any difference between Tuchel and Gareth fecking Southgate. Goodbye.
One guy won titles with Bayern and PSG. Other guy won titles with Ajax and third guy has a World Cup Semi and Euro final to his name. My dead granny would win titles with PSG, Bayern and Ajax. Niko Kovac has a league title with Bayern. Christophe Galtier, Laurent Blanc and Unai Emery have league titles at PSG. The WC semi and Euro final run is arguably more impressive.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It feels to me like people are desperate for a change, which is absolutely fair. And Tuchel seems more likely to bring success than Southgate, so they are latching on to him, which also makes sense.

Still doesn't mean that his subs tonight weren't bad. And that he doesn't have faults.

Just don't think it's wise to be defensive of a manager and their performance before he is even in the door. We have had all this before with our previous appointments too I'm sure.
It's not being defensive it's pushing against nonsense criticisms that apply to every manager. Ancelotti is getting praised this year and was getting ripped last year at this stage for having his team look impotent. There's no manager that's perfect and doesn't have moments like Tuchel had tonight

spiriticon

One guy won titles with Bayern and PSG. Other guy won titles with Ajax and third guy has a World Cup Semi and Euro final to his name. My dead granny would win titles with PSG, Bayern and Ajax. Niko Kovac has a league title with Bayern. Christophe Galtier, Laurent Blanc and Unai Emery have league titles at PSG. The WC semi and Euro final run is arguably more impressive.
If you want Gareth Southgate, just say it out loud.

Zoo

Sir Jim is on record as saying he wants to be back challenging within 2 to 3 years. With a top level manager and some smart decisions it’s possible. Apart from City there’s nothing to be fearful about and who knows when Pep might have enough. Liverpool are in transition, Arsenal are strong but to be feared? Nah.

Tuchel is not perfect but is probably the best available out there at the moment. Either that or we start a proper project from with an up and coming coach like Iraola or McKenna who are still developing as managers.

evil_geko

It's not being defensive it's pushing against nonsense criticisms that apply to every manager. Ancelotti is getting praised this year and was getting ripped last year at this stage for having his team look impotent. There's no manager that's perfect and doesn't have moments like Tuchel had tonight
It's madness isn't it, some people decided he should not come here only based on subs tonight even, you would think Pep and Klopp never made bad subs in their lives by reading this place. :lol:

The amount of stupid overblown posts I read in here is through the roof.

CasaStreets

I didn’t even notice - did they score the first while he was off the field? Also, gk error which you can’t foresee.
Yes, he was off the field. Bayern were down to 10 when the first goal was scored. A GK error while down to 10 men - Tuchel’s fault?? This place gets silly sometimes

Carolina Red

Staff
Please stop.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I am allergic to stupidity. Sue me.
Come on, it's very funny that people were using them winning as a "can't believe weirdos on here don't want him" opportunity, then they lost. Just is.

sammyhol

It's madness isn't it, some people decided he should not come here only based on subs tonight even, you would think Pep and Klopp never made bad subs in their lives by reading this place. :lol:

The amount of stupid overblown posts I read in here is through the roof.
Of course they have…

And I don’t think most are saying he wouldn’t be an improvement.

But honestly, try and think of a single match where Pep, Klopp, Ferguson… hell even Mourinho would remove the entire front line and go 5 at the back, only a goal up, away from home in a game as big as that, with at least 20 mins of game time left, just preying to hang on.

You can’t. Because they wouldn’t do it. It is insanely defensive, pragmatic, and negative.

And we have seen ETH do something similar many times, often with a similar sting in the tail. So I think it is very fair for people to be wary about bringing in another coach with those types of instincts

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not keen on us getting Tuchel, never rated him that highly, and can remember being slammed for saying so while we had Ole and pressured into agreeing with everyone who thought he was pep level. I’d prefer us go for someone else tbh

didz

Tan Hag level subs, will fit in nicely
Probably worth mentioning that Tuchel said after the game that all off his front four had to come off due to injury and cramp. So, taking him at his word, the only sub you can really fault him for is bringing Kim on and going to a back five.

Now personally, I hate it when managers try switching from a 4 to a 5 in order to see out a game, but it's hardly uncommon.

AdNani

So Kane and Musiala were injuries, how dare he not leave them on :lol: :lol: :lol: