g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Time to wake up and smell the Christmas pudding

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubbuh

Not suggesting they lied but when referencing "money is available", common sense dictates that it is not the kind of money that is comparable to under LvG. £36m with adds-on of £22m totalling over £50m for a 19 year old unproven foreign player who is to adapt to this country and the PL, its definitely not the money 'available' Fergie and Gill were referring to, agree?

With that kind of money Fergie would have purchased 3 players and made them score over 20 goals+. At the end of the day Fergie DID NOT NEED to spend those money to enable his team to score so many goals to win the league or progress in Europe. What do you say about that?
Fergie was highly principled in how he approached the market. He had his own ideas regarding exactly who was worth what, and in hindsight it is easy to recognise that this was, in some circumstances, to our detriment (Hazard being the most recent and arguably most glaring). Other top clubs were, and are, prepared to act in a far less principled manner than Fergie's old school approach; as such we find ourselves playing catch up. It's a sign of the times and you can either accept it or remain in a state of constant bitterness towards present day United operations.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just feel so awful about £43m net spend and buying 2 of the more young and promising attacking players in Europe. Values being eroded every secong of every day in front of our eyes.
Spot on the turn over in the squad was needed regardless the manager we hadn't invested well enough pre LVG. We now have a far better mix of a squad now (better balanced in age). With players like DDG Darmain Shaw Smalling Morgan Blind Mata Fellaini Herrera Depay Martial Jones Rojo all the right age profile for the future of the team mixed to Carrick Bastion Rooney Valencia Young our squad has been completely refreshed. Plus we also have a batch of promising youngsters of our own in Adnan Peira Wilson McNair vying for a place in the squad. I'd say now its clearer than anytime over the last 5 years what this team needs a centre back and a front 3 that works. All other areas of the pitch we are now on par with anyone domestically imo we are stronger. As you will be hard pushed to find a better Gk set of full backs a better English centre back than Smalling a better midfield than what we have right now in the premiership. It's all about the front 3 now. Hopefully a young talent like Depay Martial Adnan or Pierria can prove to be a superstar as that's what we need. Next season I can see the turn over of the players go down significantly and we will only be buying blue chip players. So if people are worried about spending £36m on a player they better buckle in.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
Do not try and smell the pudding, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no pudding. Then you'll see, that it is not the pudding that smells, it is only yourself.
:lol:

redevil2

Fergie was highly principled in how he approached the market. He had his own ideas regarding exactly who was worth what, and in hindsight it is easy to recognise that this was, in some circumstances, to our detriment (Hazard being the most recent and arguably most glaring). Other top clubs were, and are, prepared to act in a far less principled manner than Fergie's old school approach; as such we find ourselves playing catch up. It's a sign of the times and you can either accept it or remain in a state of constant bitterness towards present day United operations.
What a fecking idiotic statement! Are you mentally ill???

Varun

Staff
Fergie this, Fergie that. Don't know how long it will ve before people fecking move on.

vinit

Except Martial's fees, does anybody deny Woody has played a blinder in the market this summer?
Great fees to secure Darmian, Mogarn, BFS and Memphis and all of those before the pre-season US tour just like LvG wants, still some people want to paint Woody like a bumbling oaf.
Regarding Martial if he goes down to develop into a world class player it would look like a fair deal.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, most of the Caf' now wishes that Fergie had the extra millions to Hazard's agent to get him signed

Reactions: KM

Nickosaur

As a club its hard to deny we have regressed in the last 3 seasons. We have spent huge fee's on players David Gill and SAF would not be in the same room with.

We have a transfer guru with an ego in Ed Woodward is a top top person for making commercial deals and spotting new revenue streams. However in the market he has been part of the shambles that has been our transfer policy for 2 seasons.

We are loosing our morals as we buy galactico stars like Di Maria, get messed about and he is off to Paris with a large amount of our cash and we loose circa £15m 12 months.

In all a negative post I know, but the cornerstone values for me are being eroded and I hope someone in the Boardroom wakes up before Woody spills any more expensive brandy cream on players agents offer and half the team/media/football world dont know about.
Yawn.

chriswt

And so what if Woodward is allowing LVG to spend absurd sums of money? He might not have been responsible for those massive TV deals but he brought in those mega-sponsorships mind.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
As a club its hard to deny we have regressed in the last 3 seasons. We have spent huge fee's on players David Gill and SAF would not be in the same room with.

We have a transfer guru with an ego in Ed Woodward is a top top person for making commercial deals and spotting new revenue streams. However in the market he has been part of the shambles that has been our transfer policy for 2 seasons.

We are loosing our morals as we buy galactico stars like Di Maria, get messed about and he is off to Paris with a large amount of our cash and we loose circa £15m 12 months.

In all a negative post I know, but the cornerstone values for me are being eroded and I hope someone in the Boardroom wakes up before Woody spills any more expensive brandy cream on players agents offer and half the team/media/football world dont know about.
Loosing our morals? They were always pretty loose if you ask me. But if you said losing identity, maybe building not just a team but a new set of principles, I might agree with you. The LVG/Woody show needs a chance, most of the negativity is unfounded at this stage in my opinion, but I had a view of United and its traditions, vaguely linked with club loyalty, Bobby Charlton, Busby, adventurous play, and in later years magicians that sprinkled stardust on the numbers 10 and 8. I think it will be alright, but with every spring clean some beloved treasures find themselves in the skip.

Devil may care

I'm sure someone has asked this but, Christmas Pudding? Never heard that used to finish off this old line.

shivab

At face value it does seem that all is not rosy. 260m spent and one look at our best starting 11 says it all. We don't have the players to win any competition at the moment.

That being said van gaal was always going to leave a good foundation for success. The club has brought in young capable players and steadied a rocking ship.

Smalling, Shaw, De Gea, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Mata, Depay, Martial along with Januzaj Wilson and Periera are an excellent group of players who are young and/or have room for development. We are a couple of additions away from being serious challengers at home and Europe.

I think we will be fine and back at the level we belong in the near future.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
At face value it does seem that all is not rosy. 260m spent and one look at our best starting 11 says it all. We don't have the players to win any competition at the moment.

That being said van gaal was always going to leave a good foundation for success. The club has brought in young capable players and steadied a rocking ship.

Smalling, Shaw, De Gea, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Mata, Depay, Martial along with Januzaj Wilson and Periera are an excellent group of players who are young and/or have room for development. We are a couple of additions away from being serious challengers at home and Europe.

I think we will be fine and back at the level we belong in the near future.
Shivab does this mean you agree with me? Lol check a few posts back!

pacifictheme

Di Maria £57m
Martial £40m and rising
Rojo £18m and about to be listed
+ others = a shambles

We have checked money at a problem and dont seem to have a more cohesive unit that resembles a title winning team.

De Gea staying is a huge plus however.
None of those prices are right. Ha ha ha. Clueless.

Sheldon69

Let's let bfs , martial , darmian , Memphis , de gea and Morgan settle in ffs .

hubbuh

What a fecking idiotic statement! Are you mentally ill???
Can you really not see the overwhelmingly obvious change in how we now deal with transfers? Of course Fergie would never have spent however much on a 19 year old. Only because he didn't have to. He always maintained that he had whatever resources he deemed necessary available to him so I really don't know what you're getting so worked up about. It's all pretty basic stuff to be honest.

Anyway, like others have said all this Fergie talk is boring. Move on.

Last edited:

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I'm not sure how seriously I'm supposed to take this thread (probably about as much as others are supposed to take mine) but it seems pretty clear that this squad needed fresh blood. Ask anyone at the beginning of last season about the state of the squad and they would probably tell you that more investment was needed. But with the new enormous commercial deal with Adidas we have the means to really splash the cash where needed and that is what we're doing now. Is it cash-crazy? Perhaps in some respects but with the stagnation of the quality of the squad coupled with the weight of hangers-on who have either not done enough to justify their place in the squad or who haven't the ability this club needs, some serious investment was always going to be necessary. That doesn't mean that huge transfer dealings are going to be a recurring theme for the future. We spent money because we had to but if we have the kind of quality to compete at the top, then we won't need to dip into the market. But the cash will always be there if we need it. It's that simple.

And don't listen to those journalists or pundits out there who bang on about United and transfer fees as if it's some sort of horrific crime. These are the typical agenda-driven, click-bait hacks who need to either grab onto a headline to sell their papers or create one out of the most insignificant of situations.

AR87

@Lawman

In addition to the sum of our net spend over the last 2 seasons in terms of transfer fees not being outlandish we also were able to offload a number of high earners to drastically reduce our wage bill. Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, RVP, Nani, etc. All players on high wages that were on their last legs and were moved on by the club. I'd venture to guess our finances are in much better shape long-term currently than they were a few years ago even with the sums of money spent. So in addition to improving the overall age profile of the squad we also have players that aren't on the highest of wages and are eminently easier to move off the club's books if need be.

Speedicut75

I'm sure someone has asked this but, Christmas Pudding? Never heard that used to finish off this old line.
Maybe the OP is suggesting that Christmas Pudding references LVG's possible sacking at, or around, Christmas time? Some people do say, "give him till Christmas". Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit?

Ryan7

I don't even know where to start.

Buying a center half was never a priority this Summer. Aside from the first 5 games of last season, and basically mainly Leicester game, our defence did reasonably well last Summer and there was hardly any defender available this Summer that would have improved us. Chelsea were also in the market for a new defender and managed to sign a 27-year old from Nantes who was in Ligue 2 two years ago. We cannot buy for the sake of it, particularly as we have very good Smalling, talented Jones, decent Rojo and Blind has done very well so far.

Choosing to pass on Pedro and sign Martial is not really criminal. I think we should have got both because of depth but Pedro has elevated to a status of absolute super star somehow when he was merely a decent player before and a lot of people actually opposed to the idea of signing him.

We did as wel as we could last Summer and if you look across Europe we might have done the best business of all clubs.
Our defence was bailed out by De Gea. Hardly any defenders would of improved us? So, Blind moved to centre back is the best we could manage this summer? Otamendi was available. Laporte possibly. I also would hardly call Jones talented. Injured most of the time due to putting himself into stupid challenges. This is a player who should of been sent off in the friendly against PSG, ffs.

Blind only did well because we came up against four crap teams. Swansea was the first good team we played. We'll be exposed a lot this season with Blind at centre back.

Let's be fair, we've spent a shed load and we're still miles off Europe's best.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

birdy2121

It's hard these days to distinguish genuine half wit puddings from puddings who are just trying, but not very effectively, to be funny or wind pudding eaters up.
No wind up I had my concerns the nice but blinkered may have missed

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I had foresight to see the negatives
I just had a read of the thread for the first time, and despite how much we have regressed since the thread was made, I still thought this post was one of the most over-the-top pieces of tripe I've ever seen written on this forum. And I frequent the off-topic forum more than the United boards. First of all, you are criticising a topic about which you literally know nothing. You don't know what Ed Woodward does, you don't know the market, who is involved, the directives he gets from the Glazers/others involved in the club. You know sweet fuck all.

Last Summer, we signed Martial despite a large backlash we overpaid. He is now undoubtedly our best player, and one of our best hopes for the future. We signed Luke Shaw, a person who's loss many wisely view as a main cause in our demise. We signed Blind who has been performing well, and Depay who has shown glimmers of hope but is still young. All of these players are fantastic signings. Then you add in Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger, one of the greatest players of all time signed for 6 million.

How in the blue feck anyone can have such a ridiculous OP as was written here just boggles my mind. You're one of the worst kind of football fans, throwing around blame and criticism about topics you know nothing about. Now the club is doing badly, you come back here and gloat about having fucking foresight?

This is why I don't post on the football boards often.

Green_Red

My girlfriend is cooking a christmas pudding right now. Yes, christmas eve she is vooking a pudding... sorry lads, shes only half trained! Haha, glad she's not on this forum! Cov city supporter, probably the reason! Anyway, I will be waking up and smelling pudding in the morning, will that do?

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
A terribly shit opening post with a cringeworthy dogshit title and now you come in here months later to gloat? Like the guy above said - this is why I don't post in here often.

nick2004

SAF and Gill did not have any problems being in the same room with Bebe, so... you are wrong about that!

Let's smell the mince pie instead! :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.