g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Titanic tourist submersible missing | Sub's debris found - crew "have been lost"

crossy1686

career ending
He does also mention that it was not safe, to be fair. And apart from that, that reporter (Pogue?) who is only now reporting that the vessel was lost for an hour or two even last year was also crucial information that should have been public.
I get the impression people who do stuff like this and free climbing for example know they’re going to die doing it at some point. It’s the people they casually meet and get involved along the way who have no idea how stupid and dangerous it really is.

If only this stuff had come out earlier.
To be fair that guy hasn't got a clue if it was safe or not, he just didnt enjoy it. Any deep sea sub is cramped as feck it doesn't mean they're all unsafe.

wr8_utd

:'(
How big is Connecticut? Like I said before, it’s purely a lack of resources more than a lack of desire.
I think the resources are there to a good extent but its just a very vast area they're searching for and its a very small boat and that's without accounting for ocean currents potentially having made it drift even further away. The possibilities are endless and to find it within the 3-4 days isn't going to be easy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
At this stage I think it is very unlikely that there is time for a successful outcome :(

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Turns out the deepest sub rescue ever was in Ireland. Who knew? They were on the seabed for 84 hours.
And that was 1,500 ft down and this is 13,000 ft down. :(

The story of the Cork incident is amazing. A bar that locked the hatch wasn't working so maintenance removed it. Then someone attached the sub to the support boat using the outside hatch handle by mistake which promptly ripped the hatch off and they sank like a stone.

Last edited:

GeorgieBoy

The story if the Cork incident is amazing. A bar that locked the hatch wasn't working so maintenance removed it. Then someone attached the sub to the support boat using the outside hatch handle by mistake which promptly ripped the hatch off and they sank like a stone.
The guy who was saved gave his account on BBC 5 live today. Fascinating!

wr8_utd

The story if the Cork incident is amazing. A bar that locked the hatch wasn't working so maintenance removed it. Then someone attached the sub to the support boat using the outside hatch handle by mistake which promptly ripped the hatch off and they sank like a stone.
And they only survived because he snuck an oxygen cylinder in which he wasn't supposed to! Great story and hopefully we hear similar stuff in this instance too of how some random incident saved all their lives. Granted, it looks extremely unlikely though right now.

Mike Smalling

Having seen more pictures and blueprints of the vessel it just seems like an awful experience. You couldn't pay me to get in that thing for 10 hours even if it was 100% guaranteed to be safe. Crazy that anyone actually dished out a quarter of a million dollars for it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Having seen more pictures and blueprints of the vessel it just seems like an awful experience. You couldn't pay me to get in that thing for 10 hours even if it was 100% guaranteed to be safe. Crazy that anyone actually dished out a quarter of a million dollars for it.
Paying a lot of money to put yourself in an underwater jail where you'll be looking at a human tragedy.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The guy who was saved gave his account on BBC 5 live today. Fascinating!
Would love to hear that, did you hear it live or is it on the internets somewhere?

Such a harrowing story. It's the last way I'd want to go out. Nuke the area and take me out fast please

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

Wouldn't be a good Irish story without a bar or a pub.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How big is Connecticut? Like I said before, it’s purely a lack of resources more than a lack of desire.
Have you heard of MH370? Multiple countries searched for years for an entire plane and they only ever found like 2% of it and mostly because it washed up somewhere. The ocean is fecking enormous and incredibly deep. To add to that, things move so an area you checked one day is essentially changed the next. All the resources in the world might not help them find it. It’s a tiny dot among billions and billions of dots.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Have you heard of MH370? Multiple countries searched for years for an entire plane and they only ever found like 2% of it and mostly because it washed up somewhere. The ocean is fecking enormous and incredibly deep. To add to that, things move so an area you checked one day is essentially changed the next. All the resources in the world might not help them find it. It’s a tiny dot among billions and billions of dots.
Not to mention that Connecticut is about 13,000 sq kms, but essentially flat. This area is also 3.8kms deep. So nearly 50,000 km3.

wr8_utd

Assuming that they were all alive for some of these days and distinctly aware of their impending fate, I hope they all do leave behind some final messages to help their families (and everyone else!?) understand what went down and what they were thinking right at the end. In the hope that the sub is eventually found some day.

Chief123

They couldn’t really though could they? They’re in a certain area where they went dark and lost power or whatever. I get that the ocean is incredibly vast and it’s hard to find anything but they know exactly where they left from and exactly where they were headed, so surely that narrows down the search area? Accounting for drift to the bottom when they lost control, how far could they have been pushed of course?

Surely this is just a lack of resources more than a lack of knowledge?
Im sure they’re not just out there twiddling thumbs mate. They’ve got a shit load more knowledge and expertise than our guesses. I think it’s easy to simplify how challenging and difficult it is to navigate an ocean not only horizontally but vertically too. 2.5 miles in any direction is a long way.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
The last time I was this gripped to a news story that was inconsequential to me was the Raoul Moat saga. Tried to find the caf thread for it but (like this one in a few days) it's been deleted.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
We won't be hearing from the stepson again. He got banned from twitter for being a racist bellend.

mu4c_20le

The last time I was this gripped to a news story that was inconsequential to me was the Raoul Moat saga. Tried to find the caf thread for it but (like this one in a few days) it's been deleted.
Who are you trying to kid, you were terrified of running into Raoul.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not to mention that Connecticut is about 13,000 sq kms, but essentially flat. This area is also 3.8kms deep. So nearly 50,000 km3.
The coastguard just said the areas was twice the size of Connecticut. So only 100,000km3 of water

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Something is mentally wrong with him. Will he be inheriting his stepdad's fortune?
Presumably a huge chunk is going to his Mum so he'll get it eventually whilst living off her in the meantime.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Given that there are only ~9 hours of breathable air remaining, and rescue is looking hugely unlikely, I'm starting to hope that the loss of contact was due to the porthole blowing out. That death would have been near instant.

Obviously I'd rather they survived and be rescued, but if it's to be death, I can't imagine much of a worse way to go than in the cold, dark depths of the ocean waiting to run out of oxygen. Horrific.

Deep sea diving medical expert on BBC saying they could extend their oxygen well beyond today if they have been breathing properly.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Cameron got cojones of solid rock.
Used to ride a pedalo out at sea with me mates and we went to the surface of James Cameron's pit. The water looked just as dark as blue pen ink, and as thick as a sugary water then when we were taking photos and livestreaming to our mums, a Leviathan appeared. I was the fastest at steering pedalo leaving them behind to be eaten.